Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2020 United Nations News
2020 Global Special Weapons News
- UN treaty banning nuclear weapons set to enter into force in January UN News 25 Oct 2020 -- In what leading campaigners are describing as "a new chapter for nuclear disarmament", the ratification of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons will now come into force on 22 January, after Honduras became the 50th Member State to ratify on Saturday.
- UN Treaty to Ban Nuclear Weapons Worldwide Ratified VOA 25 Oct 2020 -- An international treaty to ban nuclear weapons has been ratified by 50 United Nations member countries, the world body said Saturday.
- Russia, Uzbekistan Among Rights Abusers Elected To UN Human Rights Council RFE/RL 14 Oct 2020 -- Russia and China were among 15 countries elected to the UN Human Rights Council on October 13, drawing sharp criticism from rights groups and the United States over their abysmal human rights records.
- On the UN Human Rights Council's Embrace of Authoritarian Regimes US Dept. of State 13 Oct 2020 -- "In 2018, President Donald Trump withdrew the United States from the United Nations Human Rights Council due to its well-established pattern of anti-Israel bias and membership rules that allow the election of the world's worst human rights abusers to seats on the Council."
- Saudis Lose Bid for Seat on UN Human Rights Council VOA 13 Oct 2020 -- Saudi Arabia failed in its bid to win a seat on the controversial U.N. Human Rights Council on Tuesday, but other nations with abysmal rights records, including China and Russia, made it on to the 47-nation body.
- UN World Food Programme wins 2020 Nobel Peace Prize, as hunger mounts UN News 09 Oct 2020 -- The UN World Food Programme (WFP), which provides lifesaving food assistance to millions across the world â€“ often in extremely dangerous and hard-to-access conditions â€“ has been awarded the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize.
- World Food Program Wins Nobel Peace Prize for Efforts to Combat Hunger VOA 09 Oct 2020 -- The U.N. World Food Program has been awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts in combating hunger and in recognition of its actions "to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict."
- Guterres: Only way to remove nuclear risk, 'completely eliminate nuclear weapons' UN News 02 Oct 2020 -- The elimination of nuclear weapons is vital to the "survival of life on this planet", the UN chief told the final major event of the General Assembly's high level week on Friday.
- As historic virtual debate wraps, 'our political leaders demonstrated their commitment to multilateralism,' says UN Assembly President UN News 29 Sep 2020 -- For the first time in the history of the United Nations, global leaders were not able to meet in person for the General Assembly's annual debate, but the 193-Member body's President said on Tuesday that the precautions forced by the COVID-19 pandemic "did not prevent multilateralism from operating at the highest levels."
- 'Reverse course' towards full nuclear disarmament â€“ UN chief UN News 25 Sep 2020 -- On the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons marked on Saturday, the UN chief has underscored the need to "reverse course and return to a common path to nuclear disarmament".
- CAR President calls for better representation of Africa on the Security Council UN News 24 Sep 2020 -- Central African Republic, like nearly every nation on the planet, has not been spared by the COVID-19 pandemic, with indictors predicting a contraction by up to 1.2 of the country's economic growth, President Faustin Archange Touadera said on Thursday, calling on world leaders to unite against the virus.
- Statement by H.E. Xi Jinping President of the Peopleâ€™s Republic of China At the General Debate of the 75th Session of The United Nations General Assembly Global Times 22 Sep 2020
- PM Modi's address to the United Nations General Assembly India PIB 22 Sep 2020
- Remarks by President Trump to the 75th Session of the United Nations General Assembly The White House 22 Sep 2020
- Speaking at UN, Trump accuses China of spreading COVID-19 Press TV 22 Sep 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has once again blamed China for the COVID-19 pandemic and called on Beijing to be punished for its handling of the disease.
- Trump Tells UN to Hold China Accountable for Coronavirus VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump called on the United Nations to â€śhold China accountable for their actionsâ€ť in a speech to the world bodyâ€™s General Assembly Tuesday.
- At UN, Venezuela, Cuba rebuke US hegemony Press TV 22 Sep 2020 -- Venezuela and Cuba have called on the international community to put up a united front and fight the United Statesâ€™ hegemony and its blockade against nations at a time of global crises, including the coronavirus pandemic.
- Major Powers Spotlight COVID-19 Response at UNGA VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- As the U.N. General Assembly annual debate got under way Tuesday, combating and eliminating the coronavirus pandemic was the foremost preoccupation of the world's major powers.
- COVID-19 pandemic "starkly" reveals reality of inequality among and within nations: UN official People's Daily 21 Sep 2020 -- A United Nations official said Monday the COVID-19 pandemic has starkly revealed the reality of inequality among and within nations, with the poorest suffering the most.
- Over 150 nations join WHO-led global plan for COVID vaccines SPA 21 Sep 2020 -- A total of 156 countries have joined the global COVAX scheme intended to ensure fair distribution of supplies of future vaccines against COVID-19, an alliance led by the World Health Organization (WHO) was quoted as saying by Reuters, on Monday.
- WHO: Since WWII, No Crisis Demonstrates Need for UN More Than COVID-19 VOA 21 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization's director-general said Monday no crisis since World War II demonstrates more clearly the need for the United Nations than the COVID-19 pandemic. COVID-19 is the illness caused by the coronavirus.
- COVID-19 to Shape This Year's UN General Assembly VOA 19 Sep 2020 -- World leaders will meet virtually at the United Nations starting Monday, as they discuss international cooperation to halt the spread of COVID-19.
- Int'l community regrets Trump administration's decision to halt funding to WHO People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- The international community has regretted U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to suspend funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), voicing support for and highlighting the organization's crucial role in guiding global efforts to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- U.S. defunding WHO amid world health crisis, drawing criticism People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- With a rise of 2,494 over the past 24 hours, the U.S. death toll from COVID-19 has reached 28,364 Wednesday, as the total confirmed cases amounted to nearly 640,000, according to Johns Hopkins University's tally.
- Trump faces intense blowback over decision to defund WHO amid coronavirus pandemic People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump faced intense blowback on Wednesday due to his decision to withhold the nation's funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) in the middle of the global COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO chief says "regret" U.S. decision to halt funding to WHO People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday said the WHO regretted the U.S. decision to halt its funding to the WHO.
- WHO chief says pandemic response to be reviewed "in due course" People's Daily 16 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Wednesday said that WHO's performance in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic will be reviewed by WHO's member states "in due course."
- WHO at Forefront of Coronavirus Fight But Not Without Controversy VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump's announced intention to halt U.S. funding to the World Health Organization is shining a new spotlight on the U.N. agency's role in combating the coronavirus pandemic and whether it has been too deferential to China, where the virus first erupted.
- Jimmy Carter, Bill Gates React to US Cutting Funds to WHO VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and U.S. billionaire Bill Gates have joined the chorus of those expressing concern about U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to suspend U.S. funding for the World Health Organization.
- WHO reviewing impact of US funding withdrawal amid COVID-19 pandemic UN News 15 Apr 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday upheld the importance of international solidarity in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic: a "dangerous enemy" to all humanity.
- US WHO Funding Cut Affects All Nations, China Says VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- China said Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withhold funding to the World Health Organization would affect all countries as the world faces a critical stage in combating the coronavirus pandemic.
- US Cut in WHO Funding Draws Criticism From World Leaders VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to withhold funding to the World Health Organization is drawing criticism from world leaders, as coronavirus infections exceed 2 million worldwide.
- Capitol Hill Spars Over Trump WHO Funding Cut VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- Congressional Democrats condemned U.S. President Donald Trump's announcement he would halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) based on his belief the international organization failed to hold China accountable for the coronavirus crisis.
- President Donald J. Trump Is Demanding Accountability From the World Health Organization The White House 15 Apr 2020
- Washington defunding WHO a 'move against humanity' amid global pandemic Global Times 15 Apr 2020 -- Halting funding to an organization that plays an irreplaceable and vital role in helping countries get prepared for and respond to the pandemic is a "move of genocide" against humanity, especially when most virus-stricken places are still suffering, and shifting the blame to the World Health Organization (WHO) won't help cover up US President Donald Trump's catastrophic mishandling of the coronavirus crisis, leading the US into a very dangerous situation, predominant experts and observers said.
- US halting funding to WHO unethical: China's top epidemiologist Global Times 15 Apr 2020 -- By halting funding to the World Health Organization, the US is only trying to divert attention from its failure to handle its domestic epidemic, China's top epidemiologist said on Wednesday, noting that the US decision is "unethical."
- American Medical Association: Trump's halting of WHO funding is "a dangerous step" People's Daily 15 Apr 2020 -- After US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he would halt US funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), the American Medical Association (AMA), the nation's largest association of physicians, immediately called on him to reconsider his decision, which they describe as "a dangerous step in the wrong direction", according to a report by The Hills.
- Trump's freezing of funding to WHO amid pandemic draws global censure Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump's move to freeze America's funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) – the body leading the global fight against the new coronavirus pandemic – has drawn global censure.
- WHO chief expresses regret over Trump move to cut funding Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- The director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) has expressed regret over the US president's decision to cut funding to the body at the time of the new coronavirus pandemic.
- WHO must be supported - UN chief People's Daily 15 Apr 2020 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Tuesday that the World Health Organization (WHO) must be supported, shortly after U.S. President Donald Trump' announcement of halting his country's funding to the organization.
- Trump says halting U.S. funding to World Health Organization People's Daily 15 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that his administration is halting the nation's funding to the World Health Organization (WHO), a move experts have warned against, as COVID-19 continues to take a toll globally.
- Pelosi Statement on President Trump Halting WHO Funding Speaker of the House 15 Apr 2020 -- Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued this statement after President Trump announced that he would halt funding to the World Health Organization in the middle of the coronavirus crisis
- Russia sees Trump's 'selfish' WHO decision 'most concerning' Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump's 'selfish' decision to cut funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) is worthy of condemnation, the Kremlin says.
- Trump halts WHO funding as world scrambles to contain coronavirus pandemic Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has halted funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) as the new coronavirus pandemic continues to take a heavy toll across the globe, accusing the international body of mishandling the deadly flu-like pathogen.
- Pelosi Warns Trump of Swift Challenge to 'Senseless' US Order to Stop Funding WHO Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Wednesday accused President Donald Trump of illegally cutting off funding to the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) and warned the president to expect a quick challenge to his action.
- Not the Right Time: India Expresses Disagreement Over US Cut of Funds to World Health Organisation Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has pulled funding for the World Health Organisation while alleging that the UN agency is responsible for the economic chaos and thousands of deaths caused by the pandemic. The US is one of the founding members of the organisation.
- Kremlin on US Suspension of WHO Funding: G20 Supports WHO's Coronavirus Response Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- G20 nations have supported the World Health Organization (WHO)'s coronavirus response at the recent teleconference, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday, commenting on US President Donald Trump's recent announcement that Washington will suspend WHO funding over its alleged failure to properly tackle COVID-19.
- UN Chief Says It Is 'Not the Time' to Reduce WHO Resources to Fight COVID-19 Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- The statement follows the announcement made by US President Doland Trump that the United States would halt funding for the World Health Organisation (WHO), which the president accused of mismanaging and covering-up the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- WHO counters Taiwan ad saying it is isolated from world health body CNA 15 Apr 2020 -- Responding to an ad arguing that Taiwan has been isolated from the World Health Organization (WHO), the world health body said Tuesday it has maintained regular technical exchanges with Taiwanese health authorities over several decades.
- WHO's list of ways it interacts with Taiwan CNA 15 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) issued a statement Tuesday in response to a crowdfunded ad that Taiwan is isolated from the world health body.
- Taiwan reveals email, blasts WHO for possible 'dereliction of duty' CNA 11 Apr 2020 -- Following the World Health Organization's (WHO's) rejection of Taiwan's claims that it had warned the global health body that the novel coronavirus may be transmitted from human to human, Taiwan's government on Saturday revealed the contents of the disputed Dec. 31 email, blasting the WHO for possible "dereliction of duty."
- China refutes U.S. comments on WHO, Taiwan as "fact-distorting" People's Daily 11 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese spokesman on Friday said a U.S. official's "fact-distorting" comments concerning the World Health Organization (WHO) and Taiwan were politically motivated to shift the blame and will only damage the credibility, image and interests of the United States.
- China, France support WHO in playing due role in COVID-19 fight: FMs Global Times 10 Apr 2020-- China and France support the World Health Organization (WHO) in playing its due role in combating COVID-19, said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian over phone on Thursday.
- Taiwan Finds Fake Twitter Accounts Tweeting Apologies From 'Taiwanese' to WHO Chief Radio Free Asia 10 Apr 2020 -- Investigators in Taiwan say they have found a number of fake Twitter accounts linked to China posting fake apologies to World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who has accused the democratic island of involvement in a series of personal and racist attacks against him.
- Chinese netizens pose as Taiwanese to 'apologize' to WHO chief CNA 10 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau said Friday that Chinese posing online as Taiwanese are behind an online campaign to apologize to World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who on Wednesday accused Taiwan of involvement in a series of personal attacks against him.
- US politically motivated to criticize WHO ignoring Taiwan: Chinese FM Global Times 10 Apr 2020-- The US State Department's claim that the US is "deeply disturbed Taiwan's information was withheld from the global health community" is not fact and is politically motivated to shift focus and blame, which does nothing to ease the COVID-19 outbreak in the US and only undermines its credibility, Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- DPP cannot contain COVID-19 in Taiwan by slandering mainland: spokesperson Global Times 10 Apr 2020-- The Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council on Friday denounced Taiwan's separatist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for attacking and slandering the Chinese mainland and Taiwan firms and compatriots in the mainland instead of focusing on its burning issues: containing the spread of COVID-19 in the island and tackling local people's practical needs.
- Chinese mainland condemns Taiwan for racist attack aimed at WHO leader Global Times 10 Apr 2020-- Chinese mainland condemned Taiwan's separatist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for making racist comments online against the World Health Organization's (WHO) director-general. The Taiwan party was also accused of using COVID-19 as a political trick to undermine the one-China principle and join the WHO, which is doomed to fail, according to a spokesperson with the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council.
- Chinese mainland condemns DPP's "malicious" verbal attacks on WHO People's Daily 10 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson Thursday strongly condemned the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authority in Taiwan for its "malicious" verbal attacks on the World Health Organization (WHO) and its director-general.
- China slams Taiwan 'venomous' attack on WHO as US takes side with Taipei in coronavirus row Press TV 10 Apr 2020 -- China and the United State have clashed again over Taiwan as Beijing joined the World Health Organization (WHO) in a row over the coronavirus outbreak, but Washington took sides with the self-ruled island.
- "Please quarantine politicizing COVID": WHO chief People's Daily 09 Apr 2020 -- "Please quarantine politicizing COVID. If we want to win, we shouldn't waste time pointing fingers," World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus urged here on Wednesday, saying "Unity is the only option to defeat this virus."
- WHO urges global solidarity as rising COVID-19 infection keeps hitting economy People's Daily 09 Apr 2020 -- As the global tally of COVID-19 cases surpassed 1.5 million on Wednesday, several governments stepped up anti-epidemic measures, notably extended wide-scale lockdown, despite the adverse effect on economy.
- UN supports frontline COVID-19 response IRNA 09 Apr 2020 -- As the coronavirus pandemic spreads to more than 200 countries and territories, killing more than 20,000 people, the United Nations is redoubling its support for frontline responders who are working around the clock to save lives.
- Chiefs of WHO, UN hit back at Trump's threat People's Daily 09 Apr 2020 -- "Please quarantine politicizing COVID. If we want to win, we shouldn't waste time pointing fingers...Unity is the only option to defeat this virus," World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.
- WHO works hard to ensure supplies of essential medical equipment: Tedros People's Daily 09 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday that the UN health agency is working hard to ensure supplies of essential medical equipment for front-line health workers.
- Trump using coronavirus to score political points: WHO Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization has hit back at the US president over his handling of the coronavirus crisis, saying Donald Trump is politicizing the virus.
- 5 reasons the world needs WHO, to fight the COVID-19 pandemic UN News 09 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO), the UN's health agency, has played a crucial role in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic, ever since the first cases were identified in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. At a press conference on Wednesday, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, outlined five ways the agency is leading the global response.
- Living apart, 'we must stand together' to battle coronavirus pandemic – UN rights chief UN News 09 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic is a "colossal test of leadership", the top UN rights official said on Thursday, underscoring the need for "decisive, coordinated and innovative action from all, and for all".
- 100 days on from advent of COVID-19, more action is needed: Tedros UN News 09 Apr 2020 -- With Thursday marking 100 days since the World Health Organization (WHO) was first notified about what is now officially known as COVID-19, the agency's chief said the virus has already infected more than 1.3 million people worldwide, and without action now, poor countries could suffer massive devastation.
- Tsai invites WHO chief to Taiwan amid 'attack campaign' controversy CNA 09 Apr 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Thursday invited World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to visit Taiwan amid growing controversy over his claim the day before that Taiwan is behind a campaign of personal attacks against him.
- WHO chief must apologize for accusations against Taiwan: MOFA CNA 09 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Thursday criticized "baseless" claims by World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus that Taiwan is behind a campaign of personal attacks against him and demanded an apology from him.
- Taiwan Hits Back at 'Racism' Claims From WHO Chief, Invites Him to Visit Radio Free Asia 09 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen has hit out at accusations from the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) that the democratic island's government had instigated "racist attacks" in the international community.
- Taiwan Hits Back at WHO Chief for Saying He Received 'Racist' Comments Sputnik 09 Apr 2020 -- Earlier, the World Health Organisation's chief claimed that he has been subject to racial abuse from Taiwanese officials.
- Trump Threatens to Cut WHO Funding VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- The United States is "going to put a very powerful hold" on money it sends to the World Health Organization, President Donald Trump said on Tuesday, blaming the United Nations humanitarian entity of missing the onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- World Health Organization 'absolutely critical' to neutralizing coronavirus threat – UN chief UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) must be supported across the world, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Wednesday, describing the UN health agency, which has led the multilateral response since the beginning, as "absolutely critical" in overcoming the COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO Chief Warns Politicizing Coronavirus Crisis Could Lead to More 'Body Bags' VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned countries Wednesday that politicizing the global coronavirus crisis could lead to more deaths after U.S. President Donald Trump criticized WHO and threatened to cut off funding for the international public health organization.
- Trump attacks WHO over coronavirus, threatens to withhold funding Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has blamed the World Health Organization for getting every aspect of the coronavirus "wrong," threatening to pull back funding from the international organization.
- WHO denies being 'China-centric' after Trump comment Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization has rejected claims by the US President Donald Trump, accusing the body of being "China-centric," saying its work with Beijing was important to understand the outbreak, which began in the province of Wuhan.
- US plan to halt WHO funding to hurt intl. cooperation on COVID-19 pandemic: FM Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- The US' plan to halt funding for the "China centric" World Health Organization (WHO) will create a negative impact on international cooperation in fighting the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, China's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- UN Postpones Five-Year Review Of Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty Due To Coronavirus RFE/RL 28 Mar 2020 -- The United Nations has announced that a conference to review the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Joint Statement by the Foreign Ministers of China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States on the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons US Dept. of State 10 Mar 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, China, France, Russia and the United Kingdom on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the NPT.
- Nuclear non-proliferation treaty an essential pillar for peace and security UN News 05 Mar 2020 -- Countries meeting in New York next month to review progress on nuclear non-proliferation are being urged by the UN Secretary-General to use the opportunity to strengthen global peace and security.
- Javier Pérez de Cuéllar praised as 'accomplished statesman' who had 'profound impact' on the world UN News 05 Mar 2020 -- Javier Pérez de Cuéllar, the fifth United Nations Secretary-General, praised for his ability to foster dialogue and for leading the Organization through a turbulent decade, has passed away at the age of 100.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list