Russia sees Trump's 'selfish' WHO decision 'most concerning'
Iran Press TV
Wednesday, 15 April 2020 5:06 PM
US President Donald Trump's 'selfish' decision to cut funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) is worthy of condemnation, the Kremlin says.
Trump said on Tuesday that Washington would suspend the WHO funding over what he called the UN body's "mismanagement" of the new coronavirus pandemic, in a move that has drawn widespread international condemnation.
"We see yesterday's announcement by Washington on freezing funding of the WHO as most concerning," Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told state news agency TASS.
"It is a sign of the very selfish approach of the US authorities to what is happening in the world due to the pandemic."
"Such a blow to this organization just when the international community is looking towards it... is a step worthy of condemnation and every reproach."
The Russian diplomat also called on Washington to "cease further attacks on the WHO and take a responsible course."
Earlier on Wednesday, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Trump's decision showed that Washington's main priority is to name and shame the "guilty" and shows its own flawlessness.
"For politicians of this country, there is always someone to blame. In the pandemic, it is China and the WHO," TASS quoted Zakharova as saying.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|