Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 April 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00 on April 22, 2022 Ukraine MOD 22 Apr 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 22.04 Ukraine MOD 22 Apr 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00 on April 22, 2022 Ukraine MOD 22 Apr 2022
- Ukrainian An-26 Military Aircraft Crashes in Country's East Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- The incident occurred near the city of Zaporozhye, according to the Ukrainian authorities
- Military transport plane crashes in south Ukraine, casualties reported People's Daily 22 Apr 2022 -- A Ukrainian An-26 military transport plane crashed in Ukraine's southern Zaporizhzhya region on Friday, the regional administration said in a statement on Facebook.
- Day 58: Russia says to take full control of Donbas, Southern Ukraine Press TV 22 Apr 2022 -- A top Russian general says the country plans to take full control of Donbas and Southern Ukraine as part of the second phase of the military operation.
- Russia Confirms One Death Among Crew Of Sunken Moskva, 27 Missing RFE/RL 22 Apr 2022 -- The Russian Ministry of Defense has admitted that one crew member died and 27 are missing as a result of a fire on the Moskva missile cruiser last week.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: Zelensky asks for help, heavy weapons from Portugal People's Daily 22 Apr 2022 -- Addressing the Portuguese parliament via video link, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Wednesday called on Portugal to send "heavy weapons" and strengthen the sanctions on Russia.
- Ukraine, Russia conduct sixth prisoner exchange People's Daily 22 Apr 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia on Thursday conducted their sixth prisoner exchange since the start of the conflict, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk said.
- Telephone conversation with European Council President Charles Michel President of Russia 22 Apr 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a lengthy telephone conversation with President of the European Council Charles Michel.
- Moscow will 'respond accordingly' if Israel gives Ukraine military equipment, Russian envoy says Press TV 22 Apr 2022 -- Russian Ambassador to Israel Anatoly Viktorov has warned that Moscow will introduce retaliatory measures against Israel in case the Tel Aviv regime supplies Ukraine with military equipment and aid amid the military conflict there.
- Putin: Kiev Prevents Ukrainian Troops Besieged at Azovstal Plant From Surrendering Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- On Thursday, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu stated that Mariupol has been liberated from Ukrainian forces, adding that remaining troops are still besieged at the Azovstal steel plant.
- Lavrov: No Response From Ukraine on Russia's Diplomatic Proposals Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- Commenting on the Russia-Ukraine talks, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov judged that Kiev's statements indicate lack of Ukraine's interest in negotiations with Moscow.
- Russian Embassy in Ethiopia Not Recruiting Volunteers to Fight in Donbass, Ambassador Says Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- Despite the large number of requests from Ethiopians, the Russian Embassy in Addis Ababa does not recruit volunteers to fight in Donbass, Russian Ambassador in Ethiopia Yevgeny Terekhin said on Friday.
- Kremlin Slams US Statement About Situation in Mariupol Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- Previously, the US Department of State spokesman claimed that Russia had not seized Mariupol despite Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu stating the opposite. Russian forces took control over all of the city's regions with the exception of Azovstal plant, where remnants of Ukrainian forces are besieged.
- Putin Declares Victory in Mariupol VOA 22 Apr 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has declared the besieged Ukrainian port city of Mariupol "liberated," after nearly two months of fighting, even though Russian forces have not been able to penetrate the city's massive Azovstal steel plant that remains in the hands of Ukrainian fighters and civilians.
- Putin orders blockade of Azovstal plant in Mariupol: local media People's Daily 22 Apr 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday ordered a blockade of the Azovstal plant in the port city of Mariupol instead of storming it, local media reported.
- The Week In Russia: The Kursk And The Moskva RFE/RL 22 Apr 2022 -- A Russian flagship sinks and President Vladimir Putin stays silent. More than 5 million people have fled Ukraine, where evidence of atrocities mounts while Putin sets its sights on the east and south. Meanwhile in Moscow, fears that Putin's war on Ukraine will leave Russia's "economy crippled, its security compromised, and its global influence gutted" are growing, a report says.
- Pentagon Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 22 Apr 2022
- Weapons Systems or Commercial Capabilities for Ukraine Security Assistance SAM.GOV 22 Apr 2022 -- In particular, the Department is exploring options which would accelerate production and build more capacity across the industrial base for weapons and equipment that can be rapidly exported, deployed with minimal training, and that are proven effective in the battlefield. To that end, the Department seeks information from across industry on weapons systems or other commercial capabilities related to air defense, anti-armor, anti-personnel, coastal defense, counter battery, unmanned aerial systems, and communications (e.g., secure radios, satellite internet).
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance for Ukraine DoD 22 Apr 2022 -- As of April 22, the United States has now committed more than $4 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration, including approximately $3.4 billion since the beginning of Russia's unprovoked invasion on February 24.
- Fact Sheet on U.S. Security Assistance for Ukraine (Roll Up) As of April 21, 2022 DoD 22 Apr 2022 -- On April 21, President Biden authorized a Presidential Drawdown of security assistance valued at up to $800 million tailored to meet critical Ukrainian needs for today's fight as Russian forces launch a renewed offensive in eastern Ukraine. This authorization is the eighth drawdown of equipment from DoD inventories for Ukraine since August 2021 bringing the U.S. commitment to more than $4 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden Administration.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 22 Apr 2022
- The Secretary's Meeting with Ukrainian Prime Minister Shmyhal US Dept. of State 22 Apr 2022
- READOUT: Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen's Meeting with Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal US Treasury 22 Apr 2022
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Adrienne Watson on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's meeting with Prime Minister Shmyhal of Ukraine The White House 22 Apr 2022
- Biden announces 800 mln USD in additional security aid to Ukraine People's Daily 22 Apr 2022 -- President Joe Biden announced Thursday that the United States will provide Ukraine with an additional package of security assistance worth 800 million U.S. dollars to help it defense against Russia's military operation.
- Day 58: Biden unveils another $800 million military package for Ukraine Press TV 22 Apr 2022 -- US President Joe Biden has unveiled a new package of $800 million in military aid for Ukraine, which includes howitzers, armored vehicles, and tactical drones, amid the raging war in the country.
- PACE Spring Session: the consequences of Russia's aggression against Ukraine Council of Europe 22 Apr 2022 -- A general policy debate on the consequences of the Russian Federation's aggression against Ukraine will be at the centre of the spring plenary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), to be held in hybrid format from 25 to 28 April 2022.
- Ukraine: Statement by the High Representative on the situation in Mariupol European External Action Service (EEAS) 22 Apr 2022 -- For weeks now, the world has borne witness to a cruel illegal onslaught in Mariupol by Russia leading to wide-scale destruction of the city, including atrocities against civilians, under a twisted pretext of "liberating" the city. Thousands of its inhabitants have been deported to Russia or forcibly displaced to the non-government controlled areas of Ukraine.
- Statement on the meetings of the Head of Cabinet of President von der Leyen with US partners on further support for Ukraine European Commission 22 Apr 2022 -- Bjoern Seibert, Head of Cabinet of President von der Leyen, met yesterday with US Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman in Brussels and held a virtual meeting with US Deputy Secretary of the Treasury Wally Adeyemo, to further coordinate the transatlantic response to the situation in Ukraine.
- Finland sent additional civilian material assistance to Ukraine and Moldova Finnish Government 22 Apr 2022 -- On 14 April, Finland sent two ambulances and rescue service supplies to Ukraine and medical supplies to Moldova. In addition, a donation of medicinal products was delivered to Ukraine. The material assistance was provided through the EU's Civil Protection Mechanism.
- Canada announces artillery and other additional military aid for Ukraine Canada 22 Apr 2022 -- As the Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, committed earlier this week, Canada has provided heavy artillery to the Security Forces of Ukraine, as Ukraine has requested.
- Support for low income countries following Russia's invasion of Ukraine: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 22 Apr 2022 -- The Foreign Secretary has issued a statement on the largest ever World Bank financial commitment to low income countries
- Devastation caused by Russia's war: UK statement to the OSCE UK FCDO 22 Apr 2022 -- UK Deputy Ambassador Deirdre Brown says Russia's war in Ukraine has caused devastation while Russia continues to deny their responsibility for thousands of deaths
- PM Johnson: UK Training Ukrainian Soldiers to Use Armoured Vehicles Sputnik 22 Apr 2022 -- Dozens of Ukrainian soldiers are training in the United Kingdom learning how to use Mastiff, Husky, and Wolfhound armored fighting vehicles, as well as having drills in Poland that involve anti-aircraft defense systems, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list