Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Operational information on 18.00, 24.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 24 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 12.00, 24.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 24 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 06.00, 24.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 24 Mar 2022
- Operational information on 24.00, 23.03.2022 regarding the russian invasion Ukraine MOD 24 Mar 2022
- 'A Source Of Death': Air Bases In Russia, Belarus, And Crimea Used In Moscow's Assault On Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- Russia may be using more than three dozen air bases to launch strikes against Ukraine, including some located in Belarus and Crimea, an examination of satellite imagery shows.
- Ukraine sets up nine humanitarian corridors People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine established nine humanitarian corridors on Wednesday, enabling civilians to leave the conflict-torn areas and the delivery of humanitarian aid, the presidential press service reported, citing Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk.
- Ukraine seeks to open new humanitarian corridors in four regions People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian representatives are seeking to establish new humanitarian corridors in four regions in negotiations with Russia, the presidential press service said Wednesday.
- Battle in Eastern Ukraine Heats Up as Russians Are Driven Back East of Capital DoD News 24 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian soldiers have forced Russian invaders back from the east side of Ukraine's capital, Kyiv. Russians to the northwest of the city have begun digging defensive positions, a senior defense official said yesterday.
- Meeting with permanent members of the Security Council President of Russia 24 Mar 2022 -- The President held a briefing session, via videoconference, with permanent members of the Security Council.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: Putin holds phone talks with Bennett, Scholz to discuss Ukraine crisis People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- The Russia-Ukraine conflict continues on Thursday as relevant parties are working to broker a peaceful solution. Following are the latest developments of the situation:
- Putin, Scholz discuss Russia-Ukraine peace talks over phone People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Wednesday to discuss the Moscow-Kiev peace talks.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks during a meeting with President of the International Committee of the Red Cross Peter Maurer, Moscow, March 24, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Mar 2022
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's statement and answers to media questions following the meeting with President of the International Committee of the Red Cross Peter Maurer, Moscow, March 24, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Mar 2022
- Putin, Bennett discuss Ukraine over phone People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held a telephone conversation with Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett on Wednesday to discuss the Ukrainian situation.
- Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on the results of the NATO summit Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Mar 2022
- Briefing by Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, Moscow, March 24, 2022 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Mar 2022
- Biden: NATO Has Never Been More United DoD News 24 Mar 2022 -- "NATO has never, never been more united than it is today," said President Joe Biden following an alliance meeting in Brussels today.
- NATO Leaders Discuss Responses to Russia's Ukraine Invasion DoD News 24 Mar 2022 -- NATO leaders meeting in Brussels discussed the response to Russian aggression in Ukraine, ways the alliance can support Ukraine's defense, and ways to best defend NATO nations, said alliance Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
- Statement from President Biden on the Extraordinary NATO Summit The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Background Press Call on President Biden's Meetings at NATO The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Biden Vows NATO Action If Russia Uses Chemical Weapons VOA 24 Mar 2022 -- There will be a Western military response if Russia uses chemical weapons in Ukraine, U.S. President Joe Biden said Thursday.
- Statement by NATO Heads of State and Government NATO 24 Mar 2022 -- "We, the Heads of State and Government of the 30 NATO Allies, have met today to address Russia's aggression against Ukraine, the gravest threat to Euro-Atlantic security in decades. Russia's war against Ukraine has shattered peace in Europe and is causing enormous human suffering and destruction."
- NATO Secretary General participates in G7 Leaders meeting NATO 24 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on Thursday (24 March 2022) participated in meeting of G7 leaders to discuss Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the global response to President Putin's brutal and unjustified war. Organised by Germany, and hosted at NATO headquarters in Brussels, the meeting came on the back of the NATO Summit which took place earlier on Thursday.
- Allies stand strong together in NATO in the face of the biggest security threat in a generation NATO 24 Mar 2022 -- At an extraordinary Summit in Brussels today (24 March 2022), Allied leaders agreed to reset NATO's longer-term deterrence and defence posture across all domains, land, sea, air, cyber and space. This reflects the new security reality resulting from President Putin's brutal and unprovoked war on Ukraine.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg following the extraordinary Summit of NATO Heads of State and Government NATO 24 Mar 2022
- The NATO leaders will address the need for a reset of Allied deterrence and defence NATO 24 Mar 2022 -- Arriving at the extraordinary NATO Summit on Thursday (24 March 2022), Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said the NATO leaders will address the most serious security crisis in a generation as they meet today at NATO Headquarters.
- Biden Says Putin Didn't Expect 'Cohesion' Among Western Allies RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden says President Vladimir Putin miscalculated Western resolve before launching Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine and didn't think Western countries would remain unified in their use of sanctions and support for arming Ukrainian forces.
- NATO Warns Of Possible Russian Pretext For Using Chemical Weapons RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- NATO Secretary-General Je,ns Stoltenberg has warned that Moscow may beseeking to create a false flag by accusing the United States of preparing a chemical-weapons attack on Russia that it could then use to justify its own use of such weapons.
- Emergency in Ukraine - External Situation Report #4 WHO 24 Mar 2022
- Update 31 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 24 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that Russian forces were shelling Ukrainian checkpoints in the city of Slavutych where many people working at the nearby Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) live, putting them at risk and preventing further rotation of personnel to and from the site, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- Resolution on humanitarian issues in Ukraine vetoed at the UN, with China, Russia in favor and 13 abstentions Global Times 24 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations Security Council voted Wednesday on a Russian draft resolution on humanitarian issues in Ukraine. The vote was two in favor from Russia and China and 13 abstentions, which made the resolution fail to pass.
- Security Council fails to adopt resolution on humanitarian situation in Ukraine People's Daily 24 Mar 2022 -- The 15-member UN Security Council on Wednesday failed to adopt a resolution on the humanitarian situation in Ukraine.
- UN General Assembly Overwhelmingly Approves Resolution Demanding Protection Of Civilians In Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly has adopted a nonbinding resolution demanding the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure in Ukraine and an immediate halt to the war.
- News comment: Without international solidarity, Ukraine's displacement crisis could turn into catastrophe UNHCR 24 Mar 2022 -- Since 24 February, millions have been living through the horror of war in Ukraine. In a month, many civilians have lost their lives, with thousands more injured. Families have been torn apart. Without an immediate end to the fighting, this unspeakable suffering and mass human displacement will only get worse.
- One month of war leaves more than half of Ukraine's children displaced UN News 24 Mar 2022 -- A month since Russia invaded Ukraine, 4.3 million children - more than half of the country's estimated 7.5 million child population - have been displaced, the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) said on Thursday.
- Ukraine: General Assembly passes resolution demanding aid access, by large majority UN News 24 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly overwhelmingly demanded civilian protection and humanitarian access in Ukraine on Thursday, while also criticizing Russia for creating a "dire" humanitarian situation resulting from its invasion exactly one month ago.
- Ukraine war fueling global economic downturn as growth projections slide UN News 24 Mar 2022 -- The Russian invasion of Ukraine has been the "main contributing factor" to the potentially devastating one per cent drop in projected global economic growth this year, UN development economists UNCTAD said on Thursday, in the body's latest global economic update.
- At UN: International Community Demands Russia Stop War; Aid Ukrainians VOA 24 Mar 2022 -- Russia found itself further isolated in the international community on Thursday, when the U.N. General Assembly voted overwhelmingly in support of a resolution demanding Moscow immediately stop its war against Ukraine.
- Sanctioning Additional Members of Russia's Duma, Russian Elites, Bank Board Members, and Defense Entities US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022 -- President Putin's war continues to inflict horror and widespread suffering on the people of Ukraine. At the same time, in Russia, the State Duma continues to use its legislative power to target domestic dissenters and political opponents, disrupt the free flow of information, and restrict the human rights and fundamental freedoms of the citizens of Russia.
- Targeting Elites of the Russian Federation US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022 -- Today, the Department of State and the Department of the Treasury have taken additional sweeping actions as part of our response, together with our allies and partners, to the Russian Federation's premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified war against Ukraine. We are steadfast in our commitment to ensuring Russia pays a severe economic and diplomatic price for its further invasion of Ukraine.
- U.S. Treasury Sanctions Russia's Defense-Industrial Base, the Russian Duma and Its Members, and Sberbank CEO US Treasury 24 Mar 2022 -- Today, in its latest action to impose severe costs on the Russian Federation for its illegal, unwarranted, and baseless war against Ukraine, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is designating key enablers of the invasion. This includes dozens of Russian defense companies, 328 members of the Russian State Duma, and the head of Russia's largest financial institution. This action aligns with similar actions taken by the European Union, the United Kingdom, and Canada, and reflects continued unity to hold Putin accountable for his war of choice.
- Biden administration imposes sanctions on Russian lawmakers, defense companies Press TV 24 Mar 2022 -- The administration of US President Joe Biden announced sanctions on more than 300 Russian lawmakers and dozens of state-owned companies saying that they are connected to the military campaign in Ukraine.
- U.S. Broadens Russian Sanctions List RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- The United States has slapped sanctions on more than 400 Russian politicians, oligarchs, and companies over Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- US Announces More Sanctions on Russia VOA 24 Mar 2022 -- As NATO and the G-7 met in Brussels to discuss the war in Ukraine, the Biden administration announced a wave of new sanctions on Russia Thursday.
- FACT SHEET: United States and Allies and Partners Impose Additional Costs on Russia The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Statement by Deputy National Security Advisor for International Economics Daleep Singh on Russia's Plans to Partially Re-Open Stock Market The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Remarks by President Biden and European Council President Charles Michel Upon Arrival at the European Council The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Background Press Call on President Biden's Meetings with the G7 and the European Council The White House 24 Mar 2022
- G7 Leaders' Statement The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Joint Readout by the United States and the European Council The White House 24 Mar 2022
- Joint Statement by President Biden and President von der Leyen The White House 24 Mar 2022
- PM meeting with EU President Ursula von der Leyen: 24 March 2022 Gov.UK 24 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson met the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, on the sidelines of the G7 meeting in Brussels today.
- Borrell Accuses Moscow Of Stalling On Talks With Ukraine RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- Josep Borrell, the European Union's top diplomat, says Russia is stalling in talks on a cease-fire in Ukraine and won't take the discussions seriously until it has reached its goals with its unprovoked invasion.
- Foreign Secretary announces 65 new Russian sanctions to cut off vital industries fuelling Putin's war machine UK FCDO 24 Mar 2022 -- New sanctions target strategic industries, banks and business elites.
- Russia warns Britain after Johnson said Putin 'crossed the red line into barbarism' Press TV 24 Mar 2022 -- Russia has warned Britain's foreign policy approach would lead to a dead-end after Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Russian President Vladimir Putin has "crossed the red line into barbarism," ratcheting up the US-led propaganda offensive against Moscow over the Ukraine crisis.
- U.K. Broadens Russian Sanctions List To Include More Oligarchs, Gazprombank, Sberbank Chief RFE/RL 24 Mar 2022 -- The United Kingdom has added several high-profile Russian individuals and companies to its sanctions list as Prime Minister Boris Johnson vowed to tighten the "economic vice" around President Vladimir Putin over Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- PM announces major new military support package for Ukraine: 24 March 2022 Gov.UK 24 Mar 2022 -- The Prime Minister will announce a major new package of support for Ukraine today at the NATO and G7 leaders' meetings, as he calls on the international community to stay the course on Ukraine and stand against tyranny.
- One month of President Putin's war of choice against Ukraine: UK statement to the OSCE, 24 March 2022 UK FCDO 24 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush again calls out Russia for its war of aggression in Ukraine and condemns Russia's disregard for international humanitarian law.
- Sweden to Send More Arms to Ukraine Amid Russia's Special Op Sputnik 24 Mar 2022 -- While the new arms donations to Ukraine have been supported by all Swedish parties with no exception, this unanimity is at clearly at odds with popular opinion, as only 39 percent of Swedes thought that Stockholm should assist Ukraine with weapons in a poll conducted at the end of February.
- Germany to send 2000 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine, UK to supply 6000 missiles Press TV 24 Mar 2022 -- Germany will send 2,000 additional anti-tank weapons to Ukraine to replenish the country's depleting arsenal and bolster its defenses against the Russian military operation.
- Defense Ministry spokesperson answers questions on Ukraine situation PLA Daily 24 Mar 2022
- Totally false information that China has 'prior knowledge, acquiescence, or connivance' on Russia's military operation: Ministry of Defense Global Times 24 Mar 2022 -- Claims that China had prior knowledge, acquiesced, or tacitly supported Russia's military operations are totally false and are intended to shirk responsibility and smear China, said Wu Qian, spokesperson of China's Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.
- China supports Security Council's role in Ukraine's humanitarian issue Global Times 24 Mar 2022 -- China's permanent representative to the UN Zhang Jun on Wednesday expressed his hope that the UN Security Council would play a meaningful role in handling the humanitarian situation in Ukraine after the council failed to adopt a resolution submitted by Russia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list