Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- The participants of the talks reached an agreement on securing humanitarian corridors where the fiercest fighting continues - Mykhailo Podoliak President of Ukraine 03 Mar 2022
- Russian Invasion Stalled in Ukraine's North, Progress in South DoD News 03 Mar 2022 -- The Russian invasion prong aimed at the Ukrainian capital city of Kyiv appears to be stalled, while fighting rages in Kharkiv, the country's second largest city, a senior defense official said today.
- Russian Shelling Sparks Fire at Ukraine Nuclear Plant VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Russian forces shelled Europe's largest nuclear plant, Zaporizhzhia, sparking a fire in a building in the plant compound, Ukraine's state emergency service said Friday.
- Is Russia Using Its Syria Playbook for Invasion of Ukraine? VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- From his tent in a displaced-persons camp in northwest Syria, Motaz has been watching Russia's invasion of Ukraine with one thing in mind.
- New Russia-Ukraine talks expected Thursday, as military activity continues in Ukraine People's Daily 03 Mar 2022 -- A new round of talks between Russia and Ukraine is expected to take place Thursday morning in Belovezhskaya Pushcha on the Belarus-Poland border, as military activity continues in Ukraine.
- Ukraine, Russia Agree To Create Humanitarian Corridors But No Breakthrough On Cease-Fire RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine and Russia have agreed to create humanitarian corridors in areas of Ukraine where fighting is worst, Ukrainian presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said after negotiations between the two sides on March 3.
- U.K. Accuses Russia Of Deploying Destructive 'Vacuum Bombs' In Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- The United Kingdom has accused Russia of deploying thermobaric weapons systems in Ukraine, raising fears there could be an escalation of the damage being done as Moscow intensifies its assault on major cities a week after invading its neighbor.
- Russia, Ukraine Agree on Format of Humanitarian Corridors for Civilians, Negotiator Says Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- Delegations of the two countries recently finished a second round of negotiations. The sides failed to reach an agreement on a ceasefire or ending the Russian special operation, but made progress on humanitarian issues.
- Russia's delegation arrives for second round of talks with Ukraine People's Daily 03 Mar 2022 -- The Russian delegation has arrived at the site where the second round of talks between Russia and Ukraine are expected to take place, Russian presidential aide Vladimir Medinsky, head of the Russian delegation, said Wednesday.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy: I would not like a story about Ukraine as about 300 Spartans - I wish peace to my country President of Ukraine 03 Mar 2022
- Invaders in captured Ukrainian cities create humanitarian crisis to send their "humanitarian convoys" - President Ukraine MOD 03 Mar 2022
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy: If the world does not help Ukraine stop Russia now, it will go "to the Berlin Wall" Ukraine MOD 03 Mar 2022
- They wanted to destroy Ukraine so many times, but failed - address by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy Ukraine MOD 03 Mar 2022
- Address by the Minister of Defence of Ukraine, Oleksii Reznikov Ukraine MOD 03 Mar 2022
- Ukrainian Parliament Greenlights Zelensky's Decree on General Mobilisation, Verkhovna Rada Says Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky issued the order to start general mobilisation six days ago following the start of the Russian military's special operation to demilitarise and "de-Nazify" Ukraine.
- 16,000 Foreign Mercenaries Are Going to Fight for Ukraine, Zelensky Claims Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- On Wednesday, media reports said that around 70 volunteers from Japan were ready to join the ranks of mercenaries in the "foreign legion" of Ukraine, where a Russian special operation to demilitarise and "de-Nazify" the country is under way.
- For us, this is a patriotic war, and we know how such wars end for the invaders - address by the President of Ukraine Ukraine MOD 03 Mar 2022
- Meeting with Security Council permanent members President of Russia 03 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin met via videoconference with permanent members of the Security Council.
- Putin: Special Op in Ukraine Going According to Plan Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- On Thursday, Russia's Defence Ministry spokesman, Igor Konashenkov, said that the West has increased the dispatch to Ukraine of contract soldiers from private military companies and several European countries are sending mercenaries.
- After Talks, Macron Says 'Nothing Reassuring' From Putin, Believes 'Worst Is Yet To Come' In Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- French President Emmanuel Macron warned Vladimir Putin that the Russian leader was "lying" to himself and making a "major mistake" in Ukraine that will cost Russia dearly in the long term, while Putin vowed that Russia will keep up its fight, according to separate accounts from Paris and Moscow of the leaders' long-distance conversation on March 3.
- Putin to French president: Russia to achieve goals in Ukraine whether diplomatically or by arms Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has expressed confidence that Moscow will in any case achieve its goals of military operation in Ukraine, amid escalating tensions between the two sides following a fierce week-long conflict.
- Foreign Minister Lavrov: Russia to carry out operation in Ukraine 'until the end' Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- Russia says Western powers have the ambitions of a nuclear war, but Moscow will press on with its military operation in Ukraine until "the end."
- Moscow wants list of weapons that can never be deployed in Ukraine: Russia's FM Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- Russia has demanded the demilitarization of Ukraine, saying there should be a list of specified weapons that the nation could never possess, as a second round of conflict-resolution talks between Moscow and Kiev is underway.
- Russian Oligarch Deripaska Calls For End Of War Against Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- Russian billionaire tycoon Oleg Deripaska, known for his close ties with President Vladimir Putin, has called for an end to the war in Ukraine.
- Russian Intelligence Chief Says Intel Showed Ukraine Was Working on Nukes, US Knew About It Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- Previously, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky threatened to withdraw Ukraine from the Budapest Agreement, under which the newly independent Ukraine gave up the nuclear arsenal that it inherited from the USSR in exchange for security guarantees.
- US Military Intel Launched Large-Scale Campaign to Recruit PMC Contractors for Ukraine - Russian MoD Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- On Thursday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky stated that his country "is meeting the first foreign volunteers", with 16,000 foreign mercenaries going to fight for Ukraine.
- Lavrov Says Has No Doubt Solution to Situation in Ukraine Will Be Found, Russian Demands Are Minimal Sputnik 03 Mar 2022 -- Russia launched a special operation on 24 February with the goals of demilitarising and "de-Nazifying" Ukraine following Kiev's failure to resolve the conflict in Donbass via the Minsk agreements and veiled threats to obtain nuclear weapons.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 03 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron.
- Telephone conversation with Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud President of Russia 03 Mar 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud.
- UN Refugee Chief: 1 Million Have Fled Ukraine in Russian Invasion's First Week VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations' high commissioner for refugees said Thursday that one million people have fled Ukraine in the past week alone, one of the fastest and largest mass exoduses of people in conflict situations in decades.
- Bachelet leads calls for ceasefire in Ukraine during urgent debate at UN rights council UN News 03 Mar 2022 -- Russia's military attack on Ukraine has "opened a new and dangerous chapter in world history," UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet told an urgent debate on Thursday, leading calls for a ceasefire.
- 'Senseless war' forces one million to flee Ukraine: UN refugee chief UN News 03 Mar 2022 -- The "senseless war" in Ukraine has forced one million people to flee the country in just seven days, while countless others have been displaced within its borders, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said on Thursday.
- News Comment: 1 million refugees have fled Ukraine in a week UNHCR 03 Mar 2022 -- In just seven days, one million people have fled Ukraine, uprooted by this senseless war.
- Update 9 - IAEA Director General Statement on the situation in Ukraine IAEA 03 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that a large number of Russian tanks and infantry "broke through the block-post" to the town of Enerhodar, a few kilometres from the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said.
- Update 8 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 03 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine has informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that staff who have been kept at the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) since Russian military forces took control of the site a week ago were facing "psychological pressure and moral exhaustion", Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said, stressing that they must be allowed to rest and rotate so that their crucial work can be carried out safely and securely.
- IAEA 'Gravely Concerned' for Safety of Ukraine's Nuclear Plants VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Even before Russian forces shelled the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, sparking a fire in a nearby building early Friday, Ukraine's main nuclear regulatory agency had sought "immediate assistance" from the international nuclear agency.
- UN General Assembly adopts anti-Russian resolution Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- The United Nations General Assembly votes in favor of a United States- and Albania-drafted anti-Russian resolution, which had failed to gain traction at the UN Security Council.
- Russia-Ukraine conflict could increase large numbers of severe COVID-19 disease: WHO People's Daily 03 Mar 2022 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Wednesday that the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict is likely to drive COVID-19 transmission ever higher and in turn increase the risk of large numbers of people developing severe disease.
- Invocation of the OSCE Moscow Mechanism to address Russia's invasion of Ukraine: UK statement UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- On behalf of the UK, Ambassador Neil Bush strongly supports the joint decision to invoke the Moscow Mechanism to address Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Invocation of the OSCE Moscow Mechanism to address Russia's invasion of Ukraine: joint statement UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- Canadian Ambassador Jocelyn Kinnear gave a statement on behalf of 45 OSCE participating States on invoking the Moscow Mechanism for Russia's war on Ukraine.
- Speech UN Human Rights Council 49: UK statement during the Urgent Debate on Ukraine UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- Simon Manley, UK Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva, said that Russia must be held to account for its campaign of destruction during the Urgent Debate on Ukraine.
- UK statement on Ukraine: Conference on Disarmament UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- Aidan Liddle, UK Permanent Representative to the Conference on Disarmament delivered this statement condemning the Russian government's reprehensible actions.
- Russia's ongoing aggression against Ukraine: UK statement, 3 March 2022 UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador Neil Bush again condemns Russia's unprovoked, premeditated and entirely unjustifiable war against Ukraine.
- Government announces sanctions against Russian oligarchs Alisher Usmanov and Igor Shuvalov UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- The government announced a full asset freeze and travel ban on 2 of Russia's leading oligarchs with significant UK interests and close links to the Kremlin.
- Press conference with Baltic Foreign Ministers, 3 March 2022: Foreign Secretary's opening statement UK FCDO 03 Mar 2022 -- Liz Truss spoke at a press conference with Estonian Foreign Minister Eva-Maria Liimets, Latvian Foreign Minister Edgars RinkÄviÄs and Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis.
- United Nations vote in support of peace Germany - Federal Government 03 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly has condemned the Russian invasion of Ukraine by a clear majority. In her speech, Foreign Minister Baerbock appealed to the global community to vote in favour of this resolution, saying: "Europe's security is at stake."
- Moscow Mechanism Invoked by 45 OSCE States to Review Reported Abuses by Russia US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2022 -- With Ukraine's agreement, the United States and 44 other countries have invoked the OSCE Moscow Mechanism.
- EU Approves 'Historic' Measures To Protect Ukraine's Refugees RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- The European Union has agreed to measures providing temporary protection to the hundreds of thousands of refugees streaming into the bloc as they try to escape Russia's invasion and heavy bombardment of cities across Ukraine.
- Poland Under Pressure as Over 1 Million Refugees Flee Ukraine VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- As the train from Lviv limps across the Polish border, children peer from the windows, their curiosity undimmed by the horrors they have left behind. Beside them, crammed tightly into the carriages, their mothers and grandparents sit bewildered, terrified and exhausted.
- Update: Nearly all Chinese nationals have been evacuated from Ukraine: Chinese Embassy Global Times 03 Mar 2022 -- More than 3,000 Chinese citizens have been safely moved from Ukraine to neighboring countries, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said on Thursday, adding that the ministry and the Chinese Embassy are evaluating safety risks and deploying all available means to help Chinese citizens evacuate, a process which is already proceeding in an orderly manner.
- US govt should reflect and work on easing tensions in Ukraine instead of passing the buck: Chinese FM Global Times 03 Mar 2022 -- China called on the instigator of the Ukraine tensions to reflect on itself instead of passing the buck to China. The ministry made the remarks after a New York Times' false report that claimed China's pre-knowledge of Russia's military operation in Ukraine.
- China's UN envoy calls on enabling atmosphere for direct dialogues to ease tensions in Ukraine, following abstention at ESS Global Times 03 Mar 2022 -- The international community should stick to the overall direction of a political settlement and foster an enabling atmosphere and condition for direct dialogues between the parties concerned, China's permanent representative to the UN Zhang Jun said at an Emergency Special Session of the UN General Assembly on Wednesday after China abstained from voting on the issue.
- China calls reports on Chinese-Russian coordination on Ukraine 'fake news' Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry has called reports about alleged Chinese and Russian coordination ahead of Russia's attack on Ukraine "fake news."
- Defence Minister Anand announces additional military support to Ukraine Canada DND 03 Mar 2022 -- Canadians stand united with the people of Ukraine in the face of the ongoing Russian attacks, and the Government continues to provide the equipment and aid needed by Ukraine during this time. To this end, the Honourable Anita Anand, Minister of National Defence, announced further contributions of military equipment to Ukraine as it fights for its sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence.
- Iran opposes war in Ukraine, ready to assist with relief efforts: FM to Red Cross Press TV 03 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has renewed the call for a political settlement of the conflict pitting Russia against Ukraine, saying Tehran is ready to cooperate with the International Red Cross in providing humanitarian assistance.
- Iran envoy: Not all UN members equally participated in resolution on Ukraine IRNA 03 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN Majid Takht Ravanchi underlined that the resolution on Ukraine crisis was devoid of impartial elements and realistic mechanisms for settling the issue through peaceful means.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Austrian Secretary General of Foreign Affairs Launsky-Tieffenthal US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Slovak Foreign Minister Korcok US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2022
- Joint Statement on Arctic Council Cooperation Following Russia's Invasion of Ukraine US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2022 -- Canada, the Kingdom of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and the United States issue the following joint statement.
- ASEAN stance contrasts sharply with most of bloc condemning Russia at UN Radio Free Asia 03 Mar 2022 -- A new ASEAN statement about the situation in Ukraine calls for a ceasefire without naming Russia or using the word "invasion" - in puzzling contrast to most of the bloc's members supporting a strongly worded U.N. resolution that condemned Moscow the day before.
- South Africa Criticized for Abstaining on UN Ukraine Resolution VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- South Africa chose to abstain Wednesday when the United Nations General Assembly voted on a resolution calling on its BRICS partner, Russia, to withdraw its military forces from Ukraine. South Africa's U.N. ambassador defended the move, but some South Africans were unhappy with the decision.
- Ethiopia Calls for Restraint in Ukraine Crisis VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Ethiopia's Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has called for restraint in the Ukraine conflict, noting his country's own suffering after a year of war. The statement notably did not condemn Russia for invading its neighbor.
- Cambodian Leader Defends UN Vote on Ukraine Invasion VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen, long friendly with Moscow, took pains Thursday to explain to his ruling party and government why his administration joined dozens of other countries in co-sponsoring this week's U.N. resolution condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Turkey Steps Up Support for Ukraine, Risking Russian Retaliation VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Turkey says it has locked Russian warships out of the Black Sea ahead of an expected assault on Ukrainian cities. At the same time Ukraine says it is getting more Turkish drones, despite warnings from Moscow. Turkish-Russian ties are facing a critical test.
- Pakistan Walks Thin Line Between Russia, Ukraine VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- Few countries are more conflicted by the latest war in Europe than Pakistan, which purchases military tanks from Ukraine and has just agreed to import 2 million tons of wheat from Russia.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Georgian President Zourabichvili US Dept. of State 03 Mar 2022
- TV Producer for Russian Oligarch Charged with Violating Crimea-Related Sanctions US Dept. of Justice 03 Mar 2022 -- A federal court in the Southern District of New York today unsealed the first-ever criminal indictment charging a violation of U.S. sanctions arising from the 2014 Russian undermining of democratic processes and institutions in Ukraine.
- Georgia, Moldova Formally Apply For EU Membership Amid Russia's Invasion Of Ukraine RFE/RL 03 Mar 2022 -- Two former Soviet republics, Georgia and Moldova, have formally applied for European Union membership, after their ambitions were accelerated in the shadow of Russia's full-scale invasion of nearby Ukraine.
- Urgency of talks arises amid 'rising cost, spillover effect' Global Times 03 Mar 2022 -- As Russia's military operation in Ukraine entered its seventh day, the world is closely observing the situation as the rising cost of the war is being felt not only by Russia and Ukraine, but also Europe, and has made the second round of negotiations for a possible ceasefire an urgent issue.
- Russia-Ukraine conflict, Fed hike to upset Turkish economy People's Daily 03 Mar 2022 -- The fallout of the Russia-Ukraine conflict and expected interest rate hikes by the U.S. Federal Reserve in March may put extra pressure on the vulnerable Turkish economy, which is battling high inflation and a weak currency, experts said.
- North Korean workers in Russia feel financial sting from Ukraine invasion Radio Free Asia 03 Mar 2022 -- North Koreans working in Russia are suffering collateral damage from their host country's invasion of Ukraine, as the ruble's collapse has made their earnings close to worthless while they still have to send U.S. dollars back to Pyongyang.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list