Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 March 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Russia Escalates Ukraine Attacks Amid Signs Talks May Resume VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- Russia escalated attacks on Ukrainian cities Wednesday as the two sides claimed control of a strategic city and expressed a willingness to resume talks aimed at ending the nearly week-old war.
- Second Round Of Talks Set To Take Place As Russia Continues Shelling Ukrainian Cities RFE/RL 02 Mar 2022 -- Russia and Ukraine will discuss a cease-fire at a second round of talks on March 3, Moscow's chief negotiator said as Russian military forces resumed their assault on Ukrainian cities.
- Russia says it controls Ukraine's Kherson on day 7 of military operation Press TV 02 Mar 2022 -- Russia has announced that its forces have taken control of the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson, as Moscow's large-scale military operation against its neighbor enters its seventh day.
- Russian Armed Forces' Units Take Full Control of Regional Centre of Kherson - MoD Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- On 24 February, Russia began a special military operation in Ukraine to demilitarise and "de-Nazify" the country. The Russian Defence Ministry said the special operation, which came after the Donbass republics requested help, is only targeting Ukrainian military infrastructure and the civilian population is not in danger.
- MoD: 498 Russian Servicemen Die During Special Operation in Ukraine Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- The ministry added that 1,597 more Russian servicemen have been injured during the operation, begun by President Vladimir Putin on 24 February. The declared goals of the operation are the demilitarisation and denazification of Ukraine, as well as defence of the Donbass republics.
- Russia's airstrike hits center of Ukraine's second largest city People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- A massive airstrike conducted by Russian forces hit the center of Ukraine's second-largest city Kharkiv on Tuesday, the State Service for Emergencies said.
- Russia to continue operation in Ukraine until goals achieved -- Shoigu People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- Russia will continue its special military operation in Ukraine until achieving the main goal of defending itself from Western threats, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said Tuesday.
- Russian forces hit 1,325 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects -- spokesman People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- The Russian Armed Forces have destroyed 1,325 Ukrainian military infrastructure objects since the start of the operation, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said Tuesday.
- Ukraine says Russia's shelling on Kiev TV tower kills five People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- Five people were killed during Russia's attack on the Kiev TV tower, said the State Emergency Service of Ukraine on Tuesday.
- Statement by the President on the United Nations General Assembly Vote Condemning Russia's Aggression Against Ukraine The White House 02 Mar 2022
- Senior Defense Official Holds a Background Briefing DoD 02 Mar 2022
- Ukraine Puts Up Stiff, Courageous Resistance to Russian Incursion, Official Says DoD News 02 Mar 2022 -- Effective and creative Ukrainian resistance, combined with poor Russian logistics and sustainment has hindered Russian invasion progress, said a senior defense official who held an on-background press briefing today.
- Biden praises Ukrainians as 'wall of strength' against Russia Press TV 02 Mar 2022 -- US President Joe Biden praised the Ukrainian people as a "wall of strength" against Russia's military action in their country, in his State of the Union address on Tuesday.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken At a Press Availability US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022
- Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby Holds a Press Briefing DoD 02 Mar 2022
- Attorney General Merrick B. Garland Announces Launch of Task Force KleptoCapture US Dept. of Justice 02 Mar 2022 -- Today, Attorney General Merrick B. Garland announced the launch of Task Force KleptoCapture, an interagency law enforcement task force dedicated to enforcing the sweeping sanctions, export restrictions, and economic countermeasures that the United States has imposed, along with allies and partners, in response to Russia's unprovoked military invasion of Ukraine. Task Force KleptoCapture will ensure the full effect of these actions, which have been designed to isolate Russia from global markets and impose serious costs for this unjustified act of war, by targeting the crimes of Russian officials, government-aligned elites, and those who aid or conceal their unlawful conduct.
- U.S. Treasury Takes Additional Steps to Strengthen Compliance with Russia-Related Sanctions US Treasury 02 Mar 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) issued new public guidance to cut off avenues for potential sanctions evasion by the Central Bank of the Russian Federation. This guidance makes clear that there should be no loopholes for Russia to evade the unprecedented prohibitions by the United States to lock up Russia's war chest - Central Bank of the Russian Federation, National Wealth Fund of the Russian Federation, and Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation - that were imposed this week.
- FACT SHEET: The United States Continues to Impose Costs on Russia and Belarus for Putin's War of Choice The White House 02 Mar 2022
- US Sanctions Against Russian Oligarchs Take Shape VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- The United States on Wednesday announced a comprehensive effort to identify and seize the assets of wealthy Russians who have supported the regime of Russian President Vladmir Putin, as part of its response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- Biden administration launches task force to enforce Russia sanctions Press TV 02 Mar 2022 -- The US government on Wednesday launched a new task force intending to enforce sweeping sanctions imposed on Russian officials over the simmering crisis in Ukraine.
- Biden announces closure of U.S. airspace to Russian planes People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden announced Tuesday that the United States will close its airspace to all Russian planes in response to Moscow's ongoing military operations in Ukraine.
- US 'very open' to imposing sanctions on Russia's oil and gas industry Press TV 02 Mar 2022 -- Joe Biden's administration says it is "very open" to imposing sanctions on Russia's oil and gas industry, adding that it is considering the fallout of the move on global markets and US energy prices.
- Biden announces ban on Russian flights from US airspace Press TV 02 Mar 2022 -- President Joe Biden has announced that the United States will ban Russian flights from US airspace, joining an increasing number of countries that are closing their skies to Russia.
- Biden: US Will Close American Airspace to All Russian Flights, Aircraft Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- As the US continues to pursue a pressure campaign against Russia over the situation in Ukraine, foreign policy is expected to be a major topic in US President Joe Biden's first State of the Union address at the US Capitol building at 9 p.m. ET. The 46th president of the US was expected to take a hard stance against Moscow while flexing NATO unity.
- Commerce Imposes Sweeping Export Restrictions on Belarus for Enabling Russia's Further Invasion of Ukraine US Dept. of Commerce 02 Mar 2022 -- Today, the U.S. Commerce Department, through its Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), imposed on Belarus the stringent export controls made effective on Russia on February 24, 2022, in response to Belarus's substantial enabling of Russia's further invasion of Ukraine. Application of these controls on Belarus will help to prevent the diversion of items, including technology and software, in the defense, aerospace, and maritime sectors to Russia through Belarus, and degrade both nations' ability to sustain military aggression.
- Secretary-General's press remarks following vote of General Assembly on Ukraine United Nations 02 Mar 2022
- General Assembly resolution demands end to Russian offensive in Ukraine UN News 02 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly overwhelmingly adopted a resolution on Wednesday demanding that Russia immediately end its military operations in Ukraine.
- UN General Assembly Overwhelmingly Condemns Russia's Invasion of Ukraine VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- The U.N. General Assembly overwhelmingly condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine Wednesday and called for its troops to immediately and completely withdraw, as Moscow's military bore down on several Ukrainian cities with airstrikes and troops.
- UNGA Passes Resolution Demanding Russia Stop Military Operation in Ukraine Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- The UN General Assembly passed a resolution on Wednesday demanding that Russia cease its military operation in Ukraine.
- Update 7 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 02 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today that the same staff had been working at the Chornobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) since Russian forces last week took control of the site of the 1986 nuclear accident, Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said, expressing his growing concern about their continued wellbeing and ability to do their jobs safely and effectively.
- IAEA Director General Calls for Restraint, Reiterates Need to Ensure Safety of Ukraine's Nuclear Facilities and Their Staff IAEA 02 Mar 2022 -- IAEA Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi stressed his continued concern about the conflict in Ukraine and any military or other action that could threaten the safety or security of Ukraine's four operating nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities, including the site of the 1986 accident in Chornobyl.
- Update 6 - IAEA Director General Statement on Situation in Ukraine IAEA 02 Mar 2022 -- Russia has informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that its military forces have taken control of the territory around Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant (NPP), Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi said today.
- UN Nuclear Watchdog Consults With Ukraine, Russia On Securing Nuclear Power Plants RFE/RL 02 Mar 2022 -- Ukraine's nuclear regulator has appealed to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) for help in securing its nuclear power plants as Russia's invasion raises concerns for the safety of the facilities.
- Ukraine conflict could jeopardize safety of nuclear facilities, IAEA warns UN News 02 Mar 2022 -- The conflict in Ukraine could put the safety of nuclear facilities there at risk, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) warned on Wednesday.
- Chernobyl Staff Cold, Hungry, Exhausted, Ukrainian Nuclear Regulator Says VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian staff maintaining the decommissioned nuclear power plant at the site of the 1986 nuclear accident are hungry, exhausted and at increased risk of making errors while under the control of Russian military occupiers, officials with Ukraine's main nuclear regulatory agency say.
- Ukraine crisis: UN agencies support rising tide of refugees UN News 02 Mar 2022 -- The number of people fleeing the Russian onslaught in Ukraine surpassed 874,000 as of Wednesday morning New York time, data from the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, has revealed.
- UN Ramping Up Aid Operations as Humanitarian Emergency in Ukraine Intensifies VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- U.N. aid agencies are ramping up humanitarian operations in Ukraine as Russia's bombing of civilian residential areas and infrastructure escalates and civilian casualties mount.
- UN chief calls for funds for Ukraine humanitarian aid, end to conflict People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday called for resources to meet the increasing humanitarian needs in Ukraine and for efforts to end the conflict.
- Don't discriminate against civilians fleeing Ukraine: UN chief People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is against discrimination against some foreign nationals attempting to flee the fighting in Ukraine, his spokesman said on Tuesday.
- Civilian casualties, infrastructure damage continue to increase in Ukraine: UN People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- As heavy fighting continues in Ukraine, reports of civilian casualties and civilian infrastructure damage continue to increase, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said Tuesday.
- Ukraine: Commission proposes temporary protection for people fleeing war in Ukraine and guidelines for border checks European Commission 02 Mar 2022 -- Today, the Commission is proposing to activate the Temporary Protection Directive to offer quick and effective assistance to people fleeing the war in Ukraine. Under this proposal, those fleeing the war will be granted temporary protection in the EU, meaning that they will be given a residence permit, and they will have access to education and to the labour market.
- How Far Will Europe Go to Back Ukraine? VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- The European Union has delivered weapons to Ukraine and slapped punishing sanctions on Moscow in some of its strongest actions against Russia in years. But it is unclear how Brussels will respond to Ukraine's call for fast-tracked membership to the bloc.
- EU Cuts Seven Russian Banks From SWIFT, Bans RT And Sputnik RFE/RL 02 Mar 2022 -- The European Union has cut seven Russian banks from the SWIFT payment system and officially banned Kremlin-controlled media outlets RT and Sputnik from broadcasting in the bloc in response to Moscow's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- EU Decides to Exclude 7 Russian Banks From SWIFT Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- The EU authorities earlier announced they will be cutting several Russian banks that had fallen under sanctions off from the SWIFT system, impeding their ability to transfer funds to other financial institutions around the globe. The sanctions were slapped on Russian banks and other industries over a special operation in Ukraine.
- Address to the Nation. Ã‰lysÃ©e - President of France 02 Mar 2022 -- In the midst of a difficult moment unlike any we have seen in decades, we stand with Ukraine.
- UN General Assembly vote on Russian aggression against Ukraine, 2 March 2022: UK statement UK FCDO 02 Mar 2022 -- On behalf of the UK government, Ambassador Barbara Woodward stated that international pressure will not relent until every Russian soldier is out of Ukraine.
- International pressure will not relent until every Russian soldier is out of Ukraine UK FCDO 02 Mar 2022 -- UK statement after UN General Assembly vote on aggression against Ukraine
- Statement from the UK Presidency of the Convention on Cluster Munitions on their use in Ukraine UK FCDO 02 Mar 2022 -- As President of the Convention on Cluster Munitions, the UK made a statement on our grave concerns about reports of their use in the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
- UK leads call for ICC to investigate Russia's war crimes UK FCDO 02 Mar 2022 -- The UK has galvanised allies to refer atrocities in Ukraine to the International Criminal Court.
- Donbass War Dominates PMQs Under Gaze of Ukrainian Ambassador Sputnik 02 Mar 2022 -- Ukrainian ambassador Vadym Prystaiko, present in the gallery of the House of Commons, got a standing ovation from MPs after speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle announced him. Hoyle waived the rule against applause in the house.
- Hungary supports Ukraine's bid for EU accession: FM People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- Hungary supports a request by eight European Union (EU) countries to begin membership talks with Ukraine, Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said here on Tuesday.
- Italy studying ways to reduce reliance on Russian gas: PM Draghi People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- Italy's government is studying ways to reduce the country's reliance on gas imports from Russia, Prime Minister Mario Draghi told Parliament on Tuesday.
- China Positions Itself as Mediator Between Russia, Ukraine VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- China is positioning itself as a mediator between war-divided Russia and Ukraine so as to be seen as a global leader and earn points in the West, analysts say.
- Chinese, Ukrainian FMs hold phone talks over Ukrainian situation Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi held a phone conversation at request with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Tuesday.
- Ukraine Invasion Sparks Controversial Commentary on Chinese Social Media VOA 02 Mar 2022 -- Since Russia's invasion of Ukraine last week, Chinese social media, usually a controlled space, is rife with conflicting comments about Ukraine. Censors have deleted thousands of posts â€” many containing vulgar sexual remarks about Ukrainian women â€” along with the accounts from which they originated.
- PM speaks on phone with His Excellency Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation India PIB 02 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi spoke on phone today with His Excellency Vladimir Putin, President of the Russian Federation
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022
- SE Asia faces diplomatic bind as rift between superpowers widens over Ukraine Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2022 -- In July 2016, when Pham Nhat Vuong, chairman of Vingroup and the richest man in Vietnam, was asked if he would recommend investing in Ukraine, his reply was candid: "To be honest, I don't think you should invest in Ukraine."
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Omani Deputy Foreign Minister Al-Harthy US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022
- The Republic of Korea's Economic Actions to Support Ukraine US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022 -- The United States and the Republic of Korea (ROK) are standing shoulder-to-shoulder in support of Ukraine by responding to Russia's premeditated, unprovoked, and unjustified attack.
- Iran's top leader calls for ending tensions, blames U.S. for Ukraine crisis People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Tuesday that Iran supports an end to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, and the ongoing crisis has roots in U.S. policies, according to the leader's official website.
- China opposes illegal unilateral sanctions, maintaining normal trade with Russia Global Times 02 Mar 2022 -- China resolutely opposes the use of illegal unilateral sanctions, given the fact that they are not an effective way to solve problems, but bring difficulties to people's livelihood while aggravating divisions and confrontation, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin said at a regular press conference on Wednesday.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Indonesian Foreign Minister Marsudi US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2022
- Russia / Ukraine update MAERSK 02 Mar 2022 -- Yesterday we communicated that until further notice we will suspend new bookings to/from Russia and that exempted from this booking suspension was foodstuffs, medical and humanitarian supplies. However, given the uncertainties with applications of sanctions, we are seeing significant delays in European hubs for Russia bound cargo.
- Russia / Ukraine update MAERSK 02 Mar 2022 -- As communicated yesterday, Maersk has now suspended bookings to/from both Russia and Ukraine until further notice. Exempted from the booking suspension to/from Russia is foodstuffs, medical and humanitarian supplies.
- Danish shipping giant Maersk suspends operations in Russia People's Daily 02 Mar 2022 -- The Danish shipping giant Maersk on Tuesday decided to temporarily curtail operations in Russia, saying it is "deeply concerned by how the crisis keeps escalating in Ukraine."
- Ukraine: Oxygen shortage putting lives in danger UN News 02 Mar 2022 -- On day seven of the Ukraine crisis, UN-led efforts to ramp up support to the country's embattled health workers have continued, with the first shipment of lifesaving supplies due to arrive in neighbouring Poland in the coming hours.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list