Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 February 2022 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Business roundtable on Russian sanctions: 23 February 2022 Gov.UK 23 Feb 2022 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson attended a roundtable at Downing Street to discuss limiting Russian access to UK financial services.
- Foreign Ministry statement regarding the rhetoric about Russia's recognition of the independence of the Donetsk and Lugansk people's republics Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 23 Feb 2022
- Ukraine, Poland and Lithuania share the view that the future of European security is now being decided in Ukraine - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 23 Feb 2022 -- During a meeting with President of the Republic of Poland Andrzej Duda and President of the Republic of Lithuania Gitanas NausÄ—da, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy discussed the consequences of the Russian Federation's actions for European and regional security and coordinated efforts to counter Russian aggression.
- Concrete steps by the EU on full membership of Ukraine would support our country in the current difficult conditions - Volodymyr Zelenskyy President of Ukraine 23 Feb 2022 -- During a meeting in Kyiv, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy, President of the Republic of Poland Andrzej Duda and President of the Republic of Lithuania Gitanas NausÄ—da discussed cooperation between the three countries within international organizations.
- Joint statement by the President of Ukraine, the President of the Republic of Lithuania, the President of the Republic of Poland on the Russian Federation's decision to recognise the so-called "DPR" and "LPR" President of Ukraine 23 Feb 2022 -- We, the Presidents of Ukraine, the Republic of Lithuania and the Republic of Poland - the Lublin Triangle, gathered in Kyiv on 23 February 2022, express our strongest condemnation of the decision by the Russian Federation to recognise the quasi-entities in the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine - the so-called "Luhansk People's Republic" and "Donetsk People's Republic".
- NSDC chaired by Volodymyr Zelenskyy decided to declare a state of emergency President of Ukraine 23 Feb 2022 -- President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy held a meeting of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, during which a decision was made to impose a state of emergency on the entire territory of Ukraine, except the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, where Joint Forces Operation is underway.
- As Security Council meets on Ukraine crisis, Russia announces start of 'special military operation' UN News 23 Feb 2022 -- "President Putin, stop your troops from attacking Ukraine, give peace a chance," Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres urged Russia's president said on Wednesday night during the second emergency Security Council meeting on Ukraine in three days.
- Statement by President Biden on Russia's Unprovoked and Unjustified Attack on Ukraine The White House 23 Feb 2022
- Explosions Heard in Ukraine as Putin Announces Military Operation VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the start of a military operation in eastern Ukraine early Thursday, saying he was acting in response to threats from Ukraine and warning other countries not to intervene.
- Putin Authorizes Special Operation in Donbass Sputnik 23 Feb 2022 -- Earlier this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin recognized the independence of self-proclaimed Donetsk and Lugansk republics after a new spike in violence by Kiev forces.
- READOUT: Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen's Call with United Kingdom Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak US Treasury 23 Feb 2022
- Russian Forces in Position to Attack Ukraine, Kirby Says DoD News 23 Feb 2022 -- Russian forces are in position to launch an attack against Ukraine, Pentagon Press Secretary John F. Kirby said here today.
- Defense Official Says Russian Forces Ready to Launch Attack on Ukraine DoD News 23 Feb 2022 -- A large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine is imminent with Russian forces arrayed against the country "as ready as they can be," a senior defense official said today.
- Volodymyr Zelenskyy: I know exactly how our army will act - we are ready for anything President of Ukraine 23 Feb 2022-- "Only I and our army will know the clear steps regarding the defense of our state. And believe me, we are ready for anything," Volodymyr Zelenskyy stressed.
- Update on the situation in the Joint Forces Operation area as of 07.00 February 23, 2022 Ukraine MOD 23 Feb 2022
- Briefing on operative information in the JFO area Ukraine MOD 23 Feb 2022
- NSDC chaired by Volodymyr Zelenskyy decided to declare a state of emergency Ukraine MOD 23 Feb 2022
- During the past day, 166 units of military equipment of the Russian Armed Forces were located in the temporarily occupied territory Ukraine MOD 23 Feb 2022
- Britain Set To Provide Ukraine With Additional Weaponry, Loan Guarantees RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Britain says it is ready to provide Ukraine with additional military support, including lethal defensive weapons, and major loan guarantees to help Kyiv "weather the storm of Russian aggression."
- Ukraine Urges Citizens To Leave Russia 'Immediately,' Citing Potential Loss Of Consular Service RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine is urging its citizens to avoid travel to Russia and for those in the country to leave immediately, citing a possible disruption of consular services in the face of rising tensions with Moscow.
- Ukraine Broadens State Of Emergency, Calls Up Military Reservists RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine has begun calling up military reservists aged 18-60 for service of up to one year following a decree issued by President Volodymyr Zelenskiy as the country faces the threat of a full-sale invasion by Russia.
- Donetsk leader seeks to 'peacefully' settle borders with Ukraine Press TV 23 Feb 2022 -- The Russian-backed leader in the breakaway Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine says he would prefer to resolve questions about border demarcation with Kiev peacefully.
- DPR, LPR Ask Putin's Assistance to Repel 'Aggression of Ukrainian Forces' - Kremlin Sputnik 23 Feb 2022 -- The heads of the people's republics of Donetsk and Lugansk (DPR and LPR), Denis Pushilin and Leonid Pasechnik, have asked for Russian President Vladimir Putin's assistance in repelling an "aggression of Ukrainian forces" to avoid casualties among civilians, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday.
- Zelensky: Ukraine Ready for Talks With Russia in Various Formats Sputnik 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky made a fresh appeal to Moscow on Thursday morning for dialogue to resolve the simmering crisis in the region.
- Ukraine Minister to UN: 'Russia Will Not Stop at Ukraine' VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine's foreign minister appealed to the international community on Wednesday to "take swift, concrete and resolute actions" to help preserve his country from Russian military aggression.
- Ukraine Urges More Sanctions Against Russia, Calls for National State of Emergency VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukraine on Wednesday welcomed the range of Western sanctions imposed against Russia for its menacing actions in eastern Ukraine, while Kyiv's security council called for a national state of emergency and the government recalled its ambassador to Moscow.
- Websites Of Ukrainian Government Agencies, Banks Targeted Again By Cyberattack RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Several Ukrainian government websites and the websites of some Ukrainian banks were offline on February 23 in what the government said was another apparent cyberattack.
- US Sanctions on Russia Draw Praise, Criticism VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- White House officials have called the latest package of sanctions against Russia "a severe action," with President Joe Biden saying the economic restrictions will "cut off Russia's government from Western financing" â€” powerful claims that some critics and even some Biden allies say are overblown and will do little to stop President Vladimir Putin on his military push toward Ukraine.
- U.S. sanctions Russia after Putin sends troops to Lugansk, Donetsk People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden on Tuesday announced "the first tranche" of sanctions against Russia after Moscow deployed troops in the Lugansk and Donetsk regions.
- China says US creating 'fear and panic' over Ukraine Press TV 23 Feb 2022 -- China says the United States is creating "fear and panic" over the Ukraine crisis, calling on the Biden administration to immediately start the talks for de-escalation.
- EU Leaders To Meet Amid Rising Fears That Russian Invasion Of Ukraine Is Imminent RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- European Union leaders were set to hold an emergency summit on February 24 in Brussels to discuss next steps on how to deal with Russia as Ukraine and the world brace for a possible large scale Russian military offensive.
- Ukraine Deserves EU Candidate Status, Polish and Lithuanian Leaders Tell Zelenskiy RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- The leaders of Ukraine, Poland, and Lithuania on February 23 signed a joint declaration in Kyiv on February 23 saying Ukraine deserves to be granted candidate status for membership in the European Union.
- UN chief vows to find peaceful solution to Ukraine's crisis People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres vowed on Tuesday that the world body will never give up on finding a peaceful solution to the Ukraine crisis.
- At dedicated Assembly session on Ukraine, UN chief calls for 'restraint, reason and de-escalation' UN News 23 Feb 2022 -- The world is facing "a moment of peril," UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres told a General Assembly session on Wednesday dedicated to the temporarily occupied territories of Ukraine.
- Taiwan condemns Russia for violation of Ukraine's sovereignty CNA 23 Feb 2022 -- Taiwan's government condemns Russia for undermining Ukraine's sovereignty and calls for peaceful means to resolve disputes, President Tsai Ing-wen (è”¡è‹±æ–‡) said Wednesday.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with French, German, Italian, and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with EU High Representative Josep Borrell US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with NATO Deputy Secretary General Geoana, the OSCE Chair-in-Office represented by Polish Deputy Foreign Minister Przydacz, OSCE Secretary General Schmid, and EEAS Secretary General Sannino US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Liechtenstein Foreign Minister Hasler US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Lester Holt of NBC Nightly News US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With David Muir of ABC World News Tonight US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Norah O'Donnell of CBS Evening News US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- Blinken cancels meeting with Lavrov, US to supply more weapons to Ukraine Press TV 23 Feb 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has called off a planned meeting with his Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, in a move that will further escalate the rising tensions over Ukraine and make an immediate diplomatic solution to the crisis become less likely.
- US Lawmakers: Russia Incursion Into Ukraine Is Assault on Democracy VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Top U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday called Russian President Vladimir Putin's incursion into the occupied regions of Donetsk and Luhansk in eastern Ukraine an assault on democracy.
- Republicans blame Biden for Ukraine crisis Press TV 23 Feb 2022 -- Republican lawmakers have blamed US President Joe Biden for the Ukraine crisis, saying the Biden administration cleared the way for Russia's actions in Ukraine with a series of foreign policy blunders.
- UK's support for Ukraine: Lord Ahmad statement to the UN General Assembly UK FCDO 23 Feb 2022 -- Statement by Lord (Tariq) Ahmad of Wimbledon at the General Assembly debate on Ukraine
- Nothing is off the table in our response to Putin's aggression towards Ukraine: article by Liz Truss UK FCDO 23 Feb 2022 -- In The Times, the Foreign Secretary writes that the UK is standing with Ukraine in defence of its right to decide its future.
- UK sets out new multi-million dollar economic package of support for Ukraine UK FCDO 23 Feb 2022 -- The UK government has announced a new economic package that is designed to support Ukraine's continued stability.
- US Warns Of Russian Cyberattacks Against Ukraine VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- The United States and Britain warned Wednesday of new malware that attacks network devices, which the U.S. says has been commonly used by Russia.
- Zelenskyy Under Pressure to Mobilize Ukrainians, Start Serious Defense Planning VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has called up army reservists and ordered military exercises for volunteers in newly created territorial defense brigades, but senior opposition lawmakers and former ministers fear the country is ill-prepared for war with Russia â€” despite their pleas to the government to get organized.
- War in Ukraine Expected to Trigger Higher Fuel Prices VOA 23 Feb 2022 -- As Russia moves troops into the Donbas region of Ukraine, experts warn that the prospect of a shooting war erupting in Europe, combined with heavy sanctions on Russia, is likely to cause instability in the energy market, possibly translating into significantly higher costs for both gasoline and natural gas.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with UK Foreign Secretary Truss US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2022
- China bans online criticism of Russia, blames US for fueling Ukraine 'tensions' Radio Free Asia 23 Feb 2022 -- Internet censors in China have ordered news outlets and social media accounts to avoid posting anything critical of Russia or favorable to NATO, after Russia began moving troops across the border into Ukraine, prompting a flurry of international sanctions against the country's leaders.
- Putin's Escalation In Ukraine Leaves China Walking A Diplomatic Tightrope RFE/RL 23 Feb 2022 -- Though Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping declared having a "no limits" partnership at a meeting in Beijing on February 4, the Kremlin's massive military buildup around Ukraine and threat to invade is testing Moscow-Beijing ties.
- NATO chief urges Russia to choose diplomacy in Ukraine crisis People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The chief of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has urged Russia to "choose the path of diplomacy" in the conflict with Ukraine.
- EU readies sanctions against Russia, urges Moscow to return to diplomacy People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The European Union (EU) is set to adopt the first set of sanctions against Russia on Tuesday after Moscow recognized the independence of eastern Ukraine's Lugansk and Donetsk regions.
- EU agrees Russia sanctions package, warns of further action People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The European Union (EU) is ready to take further action against Russia if it continues to escalate the crisis, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned here on Tuesday.
- British PM announces sanctions against Russia over Ukraine People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced on Tuesday a range of sanctions against Russia in response to the latest development in Ukraine.
- Italy's PM calls for dialogue on Ukraine crisis People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Italy's Prime Minister Mario Draghi on Tuesday said dialogue was key to solving the Ukrainian crisis, warning that the European Union (EU) was preparing sanctions against Russia.
- Restraint urged on Ukraine issue People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- China called on all parties concerned in the Ukraine issue to exercise restraint, avoid any action that might fuel tensions and seek reasonable solutions to the situation.
- UN agencies in Geneva concerned over situation in Ukraine People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Various agencies of the United Nations (UN) in Geneva on Tuesday expressed their concern over the latest development in Ukraine, calling on all sides to cease hostilities and to pave the way for dialogue instead of setting the stage for further violence.
- Russia's parliament ratifies friendship treaties with 2 "independent republics" in east Ukraine's Donbass People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Russia's State Duma, the lower house of parliament, ratified the treaties on friendship, cooperation and mutual assistance with "the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR)" and "the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR)" during a plenary session on Tuesday.
- Russia recognizes "republics" in Ukraine, UN calls for peaceful settlement People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday evening signed decrees recognizing the independence of two self-proclaimed regions in eastern Ukraine's Donbass as "the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR)" and "the Donetsk People's Republic (DPR)."
- Russia's upper house approves use of military abroad People's Daily 23 Feb 2022 -- The Russian Federation Council, or the upper house of parliament, on Tuesday approved Russian President Vladimir Putin's request for the use of military abroad.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list