Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2020 - Ukraine Special Weapons News
- Poroshenko Fails To Show For Questioning At Ukraine's State Bureau Of Investigations RFE/RL 30 Jun 2020 -- Former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has failed to show at the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) for questioning.
- EU Extends Economic Sanctions Against Russia Over Ukrainian Conflict RFE/RL 29 Jun 2020 -- European Union member states have formally extended a six-month extension of economic sanctions imposed against Russia over its role in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.
- More details of Ukrainian plane's crash released by Military Prosecutor IRNA 29 Jun 2020 -- Tehran Military Prosecutor Gholam Abbas Torki explained some more details on Monday about the crash of the flight 752 that was unintentionally targeted by Iran's defensive missile system in southern Tehran on January 8 shortly after take-off.
- Iran's military court follows up downed plane victims' compensation IRNA 29 Jun 2020 -- Head of Iran's Judiciary Organization of the Armed Forces said that they specifically follow up paying compensation to the families of the victims of the Ukrainian Airliner which crashed last year.
- Iran, France finalize date to read black box of Ukrainian plane ISNA 29 Jun 2020 -- Iranian deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Mohsen Baharvand said Iran and France have finalized the date to read the black box of the Ukrainian plane.
- Ukraine plane downed due to human error, sabotage ruled out: Military prosecutor Press TV 29 Jun 2020 -- The military prosecutor for Tehran Province says the downing of a Ukrainian passenger plane in early January was the result of human error on the part of the air defense unit's operator, ruling out the possibility of a cyberattack or any other type of sabotage.
- Tehran Prosecutor Reportedly Says One Missile Fired at Ukrainian Plane Overshot Target Sputnik 29 Jun 2020 -- The military prosecutor for the Tehran province, Gholam Abbas Torki, said on Monday that the Ukrainian International Airlines passenger aircraft that crashed in Iran in January was downed by one missile rather than two, as was previously reported, the Iranian Tasnim news agency reported.
- Iran Says No Indication Cyberattack Led To Downing Of Ukrainian Airliner RFE/RL 29 Jun 2020 -- An Iranian military prosecutor says there is no indication that the downing of a Ukrainian passenger jet in Iran in January was due to a cyberattack on the country's defense system.
- Work On Black Boxes Of Ukrainian Jet Downed By Iran To Start Next Month RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- The French BEA air-accident investigation agency says "technical work" on the black boxes of a downed Ukrainian airliner is expected to kick off in France next month.
- First COVID-19 Case Registered at Chernobyl Nuclear Plant Sputnik 24 Jun 2020 -- In mid-March, Ukraine introduced a nationwide quarantine for a month and subsequently extended it several times. The Ukrainian government decided to relax coronavirus-related restrictions starting 11 May.
- Why Is A Czech Firm Selling Furniture In Separatist-Controlled Donetsk? RFE/RL 23 Jun 2020 -- A blue upholstered wooden chair and a chrome-and-plastic barstool stand in a spartan display window under the flag that Russia-backed forces use for the land they control in Ukraine's Donetsk region. In the adjacent window, a sign boasts in Russian of furniture from the Czech Republic above the name of the firm, Hanak, and its official logo.
- Iran to send Ukrainian plane's flight recorder to France in coming days ISNA 23 Jun 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif says Iran will send the black box of a Ukrainian passenger plane that crashed near Tehran in January to France for analysis in coming days.
- Ukraine President Threatens Lawsuit Against Iran Over Downed Airliner Radio Farda 23 Jun 2020 -- The President of the Ukraine has threatened that if Iran does not fulfill its obligations regarding the Ukrainian airliner downed in January over Tehran, Kyiv will file a lawsuit against the Islamic Republic in international courts.
- EU Leaders Support Extension Of Sanctions Against Russia Over Ukraine RFE/RL 19 Jun 2020 -- European Union leaders on June 19 have supported a six-month extension of economic sanctions imposed against Russia over its role in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine.
- Ukraine receives $60mn worth of military aid from US Press TV 18 Jun 2020 -- Ukraine has received more than 60 million dollars' worth of weapons and other equipment from the United States, following an initial freeze in military aid to the country that prompted an impeachment trial against President Donald Trump.
- EU Extends Crimea Sanctions By One More Year RFE/RL 18 Jun 2020 -- The European Union has rolled over for another year sanctions imposed over Russia's annexation of the Crimean Peninsula from Ukraine.
- U.S. Embassy Warns Ukraine About Its Justice System As Arrest Of Poroshenko Being Mulled RFE/RL 18 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv has expressed concerns about Ukraine's justice system at a time when the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) and the Prosecutor-General's Office are considering arresting former President Petro Poroshenko amid a spate of investigations involving him.
- Ukraine - Mark VI Patrol Boats DSCA 17 Jun 2020 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Ukraine of up to sixteen (16) Mark VI Patrol Boats and related equipment for an estimated cost of $600 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Pro-Russia Activists, Nationalists Clash In Kyiv RFE/RL 17 Jun 2020 -- Hundreds of activists supporting the pro-Russian Party of Shariy have clashed with Ukrainian nationalist groups in Kyiv near the office of President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.
- Former Ukrainian Paramilitary Leader Put Under House Arrest Amid Violent Protests RFE/RL 16 Jun 2020 -- A court in Kyiv has placed under house arrest the controversial former leader of a far-right Ukrainian paramilitary group suspected of premeditated murder and possession of an illegal bladed weapon in the killing of a man he claims was self-defense.
- Ukrainian Official 'Detained' Over Fatal Acid Attack RFE/RL 16 Jun 2020 -- Ukrainian Security Service officers have reportedly detained the head of the regional council in Kherson and are bringing him to Kyiv, where his pretrial arrest will be decided in a case where he is suspected of ordering a deadly attack on anti-corruption activist Kateryna Handzyuk in 2018.
- Poroshenko Blames Yanukovych For Ukrainian Army's Weak State When Russia Seized Crimea RFE/RL 15 Jun 2020 -- Former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko says that only 20 percent of the country's armed forces were combat-efficient when Russia annexed Crimea following the toppling of Russia-friendly Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych in early 2014.
- COVID-19: Iran Will Reimpose Restrictions If Measures Not Obeyed; Ex-Pakistan Cricket Captain Tests Positive RFE/RL 13 Jun 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is approaching 430,000 with more than 7.6 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- NATO recognises Ukraine as Enhanced Opportunities Partner NATO 12 Jun 2020 -- On Friday (12 June 2020), the North Atlantic Council recognised Ukraine as an Enhanced Opportunities Partner. This status is part of NATO's Partnership Interoperability Initiative, which aims to maintain and deepen cooperation between Allies and partners that have made significant contributions to NATO-led operations and missions.
- NATO Grants Ukraine 'Enhanced Opportunities Partner' Status RFE/RL 12 Jun 2020 -- NATO has entered a closer partnership with Ukraine, recognizing the former Soviet republic as an enhanced opportunities partner (EOP) after Kyiv demonstrated its "commitment to Euro-Atlantic security."
- Ukraine Becomes NATO Partner With Enhanced Opportunities Sputnik 12 Jun 2020 -- Ukraine has acquired the status of a NATO Enhanced Opportunities Partner, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Friday.
- U.S. Resumes Military Aid To Ukraine With Release Of $250 Million In Assistance RFE/RL 12 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. Defense Department has announced a resumption of millions of dollars in military assistance to Ukraine after it was frozen last year, putting it at the heart of the impeachment of President Donald Trump.
- DOD Announces $250M to Ukraine DoD 11 Jun 2020 -- The Department of Defense announced today its plans for $250 million in Fiscal Year 2020 Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI) funds for additional training, equipment, and advisory efforts to strengthen Ukraine's capacity to more effectively defend itself against Russian aggression.
- Moscow Not Party to MH17 Crash Proceedings, Russian Foreign Ministry Says Sputnik 11 Jun 2020 -- Moscow is not a party to the criminal process in the case of the MH17 flight crash, which takes place in the Netherlands, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said, commenting on this week's hearings on the case.
- IMF Approves $5 Billion In Aid For Ukraine To Shore Up Economy Wracked By Coronavirus RFE/RL 10 Jun 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) says its executive board has approved an 18-month, $5 billion standby arrangement for Ukraine aimed at helping the country cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Poroshenko A Suspect In Alleged Illegal Move Of Paintings RFE/RL 10 Jun 2020 -- Ukraine's State Bureau of Investigation (DBR) has announced that prosecutors consider former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko a suspect in a case about the alleged illegal transfer of valuable paintings across the border.
- Iranian, Ukrainian diplomats discuss January plane incident ISNA 10 Jun 2020 -- A ranking Iranian diplomat and Ukraine's ambassador to Tehran have talked about various issues surrounding the January 8 crash of a Ukrainian passenger plane near Tehran.
- Hundreds Rally In Kyiv Demanding Interior Minister's Resignation RFE/RL 05 Jun 2020 -- Hundreds of protesters calling for the resignation of Ukraine's interior minister, Arsen Avakov, have set off smoke bombs and fireworks in front of the parliament in Kyiv.
- Ukrainian Court Rules Force Can Be Used To Bring Ex-President In For Questioning RFE/RL 04 Jun 2020 -- A court in Kyiv has ruled that former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko can be brought by force to the offices of the State Bureau of Investigations (DBR) after he twice ignored a summons last month.
- Top Ukrainian And German Diplomats Talk NATO And Conflict In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 02 Jun 2020 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has discussed the ongoing conflict with Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, Kyiv's relationship with NATO, and the issue of Russia-annexed Crimea with German officials during a one-day visit to Berlin.
- Calls For Dismissal Of Ukraine's Powerful Interior Minister Grow Louder After Alleged Police Rape, Gangland Shooting RFE/RL 03 Jun 2020 -- The 26-year-old woman was brought to a police station in the central Ukrainian town of Kaharlyk, where officers told her she would be questioned as a witness to an alleged theft. But according to the State Bureau of Investigation, two policemen covered her face with a gas mask and handcuffed her, fired a gun over her head and then raped her several times on the night of May 23.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list