Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Foreign Secretary visits South Korea and Vietnam pledging to work together in virus fight UK FCDO 30 Sep 2020 -- Foreign Secretary announces ¬£6.3million of new funding to tackle the health and economic impacts of COVID-19 across South East Asia.
- Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter launches the Integrated Operating Concept UK MOD 30 Sep 2020 -- Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter delivers a speech on the Integrated Operating Concept at Policy Exchange
- MOD extends contract for NATO submarine rescue missions UK MOD 30 Sep 2020 -- A three-year contract extension to ensure NATO submariners are backed up by world-class rescue operations has been awarded to Scotland-based firm, JFD.
- Over 30 UK universities report COVID-19 cases Global Times 29 Sep 2020 -- More than 30 universities in Britain have reported coronavirus cases since the new school term started earlier this month, with thousands of students in self-isolation, local media reported on Monday.
- Canada, U.K. Announce Sanctions As Pressure On Belarus Leadership Builds RFE/RL 29 Sep 2020 -- Canada and the United Kingdom have announced sanctions on several senior officials in Belarus, including its authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka, as international pressure continues to build over a disputed presidential election last month and subsequent police crackdown on opposition members, media, and protesters.
- Belarus: UK sanctions eight members of regime, including Alexander Lukashenko UK FCDO 29 Sep 2020 -- The UK has sanctioned eight members of the Belarusian regime, including Alexander Lukashenko for human rights violations in Belarus after the rigged elections.
- Britain insists it will go ahead with law-breaking bill linked to Brexit People's Daily 29 Sep 2020 -- The British government put itself on a potential collision course with Brussels on Monday after rejecting calls by the European Union (EU) to withdraw parts of a controversial bill that will break international law.
- UK could face "third wave" of coronavirus, government adviser warns People's Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- Britain could face a third wave of coronavirus and lockdown restrictions will not solve the problem, a British government scientific adviser warned Sunday.
- Nagorno-Karabakh violence: UK and Canada Foreign Ministers' joint statement UK FCDO 28 Sep 2020 -- The Foreign Secretary and Canadian Foreign Minister have issued a joint statement in response to clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh.
- UK leads thousands of NATO troops in major exercise off Scottish coast UK MOD 28 Sep 2020 -- Thousands of sailors, soldiers and airmen and airwomen will next week take part in Exercise Joint Warrior, a major show of NATO's collective force and capability.
- Prime Minister's speech to United Nations General Assembly: 26 September 2020 UK FCDO 26 Sep 2020 -- At UNGA 2020 Boris Johnson outlined a new global approach to health security based on a 5-point plan to protect humanity against another pandemic like COVID-19.
- Repair ugly rifts and unite against common foe, COVID-19, 'or everyone will lose', warns UK's Johnson UN News 26 Sep 2020 -- COVID-19 has "united humanity as never before", the United Kingdom Prime Minister told the UN General Assembly's annual high-level session on Saturday.
- United Kingdom - Follow-on Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) for C-17 Aircraft DSCA 24 Sep 2020 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of the United Kingdom of follow-on C-17 aircraft Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) and related equipment for an estimated cost of $401.3 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- U.S., U.K., Canada May Soon Announce Sanctions On Belarusian Officials: Report RFE/RL 24 Sep 2020 -- The United States, Britain, and Canada could soon impose sanctions on Belarusian officials for their violent crackdown on protesters following a presidential election widely viewed to have been rigged.
- First F-35B deployment aboard partner nation vessel USMC News 23 Sep 2020 -- Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 211 embarked 10 F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters onboard Her Majesty's Ship Queen Elizabeth, September 22, as part of the squadron's multi-month deployment for training to the United Kingdom. "The Wake Island Avengers" are proud to represent the United States Marine Corps and United States of America while they serve as part of the UK's Carrier Strike Group.
- Britain Imposes Pub Curfew as Coronavirus Cases Soar VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Britain became the latest European country to impose restrictions on socializing Wednesday following a sharp rise in coronavirus transmission rates. The number of new cases is roughly doubling every week, and the chief medical officer has warned of 50,000 new infections daily by mid-October if the pattern continues.
- British Prime Minister Defends COVID-19 Testing VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson defended his government's COVID-19 testing plan Wednesday as opposition members in parliament claimed the government lost control of the virus when it lost control of testing.
- UK COVID-19 alert level recommended to raise to level 4 Global Times 22 Sep 2020 -- Britain's chief medical officers (CMOs) have recommended moving the country's COVID-19 alert level from level 3 to level 4, according to a joint statement released on Monday from the CMOs.
- UK PM unveils new restrictions to curb rising coronavirus infections People's Daily 22 Sep 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday announced new restrictive measures to tackle a sharp rise in the country's coronavirus cases.
- Johnson moots deployment of military to contain coronavirus second wave Press TV 22 Sep 2020 -- As widely expected, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has introduced new coronavirus-related restrictions for England which could potentially last six months.
- Boris Johnson Stops Short of Imposing Lockdown as He Announces New COVID-19 Restrictions For England Sputnik 22 Sep 2020 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has made a statement on the coronavirus situation in the United Kingdom in the House of Commons.
- Britain Enacts Restrictions as Coronavirus at ‚ÄėPerilous Turning Point‚Äô VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- Saying the nation has reached a ‚Äúperilous turning point,‚ÄĚ British Prime Minister Boris Johnson Tuesday imposed new coronavirus-related restrictions on bars and restaurants and urged people to work from home, as the nation faces a surge in new cases.
- EU Demands UK Drop Changes to Withdrawal Agreement as British Parl't Passes Internal Market Bill Sputnik 22 Sep 2020 -- As European Union ministers met in Brussels on Monday ahead of a summit of heads of government later this week, the UK Parliament pressed on with draft legislation to override the Northern Ireland Protocol of the EU Withdrawal Agreement.
- UK National Sentenced to Prison for Role in ‚ÄúThe Dark Overlord‚ÄĚ Hacking Group US Dept. of Justice 21 Sep 2020 -- Defendant Conspired to Steal Sensitive Personally Identifying Information from Victim Companies and Release those Records on Criminal Marketplaces unless Victims Paid Bitcoin Ransoms
- London mayor Sadiq Khan calls for coronavirus restrictions on capital Press TV 21 Sep 2020 -- London mayor, Sadiq Khan, has called for new coronavirus restrictions in the British capital as the UK struggles to contain an imminent second wave of the pandemic.
- UK at coronavirus "tipping point": health secretary Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Sunday that Britain is facing a "tipping point" regarding the coronavirus pandemic and more restrictions are possible to cope with the spread of virus.
- UK at coronavirus "tipping point": health secretary People's Daily 21 Sep 2020 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Sunday that Britain is facing a "tipping point" regarding the coronavirus pandemic and more restrictions are possible to cope with the spread of virus.
- British Health Minister Lays Out COVID-19 Response as Cases Surge VOA 21 Sep 2020 -- Britain‚Äôs health minister went before parliament Monday to discuss the government‚Äôs response to a surge in positive COVID-19 cases in the nation.
- Western Europe Scrambling to Avoid National Lockdowns VOA 21 Sep 2020 -- Western European states are scrambling to curb a second coronavirus wave of infections by re-imposing pandemic restrictions lifted just weeks or months ago. But their governments say they are determined to avoid further stressing their stricken economics by re-introducing national lockdowns.
- Former British diplomat and MI6 agent accused of being China ‚Äėspy‚Äô Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- A former Secret intelligence Service (SIS ‚Äď better known as MI6) agent who posed as a businessman has been accused of passing highly damaging information to Chinese intelligence.
- UK Increases Spy Flights Near Russian Border Trying to Find Moscow‚Äôs ‚ÄėVulnerabilities‚Äô: Report Sputnik 20 Sep 2020 -- On Friday, Sergei Rudskoy, chief of the Russian General Staff's Main Operational Directorate, said that in 2020, the number of foreign reconnaissance flights in the Black Sea region has increased by 40 percent compared to last year.
- E3 Foreign Ministers' Statement: 20 September 2020 UK FCDO 20 Sep 2020 -- Statement by the United Kingdom, France and Germany on the JCPoA.
- E3: US claim on snapback sanctions on Iran lacks legal effect Press TV 20 Sep 2020 -- The three European signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal, also known as the E3, say a claim by the United States that it has restored Iran sanctions through the so-called snapback mechanism has no legal effect.
- Boris Johnson Admits ‚ÄėSecond COVID-19 Wave is Coming In‚Äô, Says Lockdown is ‚ÄėLast Thing Anyone Wants‚Äô Sputnik 19 Sep 2020 -- As the United Kingdom has recorded another 4,322 confirmed COVID-19 cases, Public Health England's medical director Yvonne Doyle made the dire prediction of "far worse things to come", with the government looking at a spate of scenarios and potential measures to stanch the spread of the virus.
- Hundreds of UK troops parachute into Ukraine for joint exercises UK MOD 19 Sep 2020 -- Over 200 British paratroopers made history this week when they jumped into southern Ukraine for the first time.
- Britain, France, Germany say U.N. sanctions relief for Iran to continue beyond Sept. 20 ISNA 19 Sep 2020 -- Britain, France and Germany told the U.N. Security Council on Friday that U.N. sanctions relief for Iran - agreed under a 2015 nuclear deal - would continue beyond Sept. 20, when the United States asserts that all the measures should be reimposed.
- In outright rejection of US unilateralism, E3 tells UNSC Iran sanctions relief to continue beyond Sep. 20 Press TV 19 Sep 2020 -- Britain, France and Germany have told the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) that the sanctions relief provided by the world body for Iran ‚Äď agreed under a 2015 nuclear deal ‚Äď will continue beyond September 20 in outright rejection of assertions by the United States that the bans will snap back then.
- Yemen has ‚Äúnever looked more likely to slide into famine‚ÄĚ, Foreign Secretary warns UK FCDO 17 Sep 2020 -- New funding announced today takes the UK‚Äôs contribution to the crisis to over ¬£1 billion.
- Belarus: UK triggers Moscow Mechanism at OSCE to investigate elections UK FCDO 17 Sep 2020 -- The UK and 16 other states have triggered the Moscow Mechanism to investigate Belarus elections.
- Britain Contemplates Second National Lockdown as COVID-19 Surges VOA 18 Sep 2020 -- British Health Minister Matt Hancock said Friday the government is contemplating a second nationwide lockdown as new COVID-19 cases continue to surge in Britain.
- Restrictive measures to be implemented in parts of UK amid COVID-19 concern Global Times 18 Sep 2020 -- A series of restrictive measures will be implemented in parts of Britain, as "concerning rates" of coronavirus infection are seen there, British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Thursday.
- UK Health Secretary Announces New Coronavirus Restrictions in Several English Towns Sputnik 17 Sep 2020 -- Earlier on Thursday, the minister said that the country continued to see a worrying rise in the number of COVID-19 cases.
- Britain Begins Strict Regional COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 17 Sep 2020 -- Britain's health secretary, Matt Hancock, has announced new lockdown measures on the northeast of England after a significant surge in coronavirus cases there.
- Foreign Secretary statement in Washington DC, 16 September 2020 UK FCDO 16 Sep 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave a statement at a press conference with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in the US.
- UK Facing Real Challenges With COVID-19 Testing Capacity, Minister Admits Sputnik 16 Sep 2020 -- Earlier, London Mayor Sadiq Khan ordered a massive study into the future challenges and opportunities facing the heart of the UK capital as a result of long-term COVID-19 social and economic effects.
- Secretary Michael R. Pompeo and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab at a Press Availability US Dept. of State 16 Sep 2020
- UK's Air Chief Warns Arms Race in Space Could End in Disaster Sputnik 16 Sep 2020 -- States, including Russia, have expressed concerns before about the militarisation of space and how it could potentially lead to the destruction of the existing security balance they have been trying to maintain over the last several decades.
- British Health Secretary Defends COVID-19 Testing, Restrictions VOA 15 Sep 2020 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock appeared before Parliament Tuesday to defend the government's response to recent surges in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UK's creaking COVID-19 test system puts health services at risk SPA 15 Sep 2020 -- Britain's testing system for COVID-19 was creaking on Tuesday as a bottleneck prevented people including medics from getting a test, with the government saying it may take weeks to resolve the problem, Reuters reported today.
- Strengthening Partnerships: UK, U.S. Navies Conduct Mine Hunting and Countermeasures Exercise US Navy 15 Sep 2020 -- UK Royal Navy and U.S. Navy forces participated in a mine countermeasures (MCM) interoperability exercise in the Arabian Gulf Sept. 9-17.
- Defense Secretary admits to UK military sector 'vulnerabilities' Press TV 15 Sep 2020 -- In a rare admission, the British defense secretary, Ben Wallace, has conceded that the UK's military is "racing to catch up" with its opponents' successes in the technological warfare domain.
- RAF in latest interception of Russian aircraft off Scotland coast Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Britain's Royal Air Force (RAF) reportedly intercepted two Russian aircraft off the north-east Scottish coast on Saturday (September 12).
- PM Johnson defends Internal Market Bill in Parliament Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Addressing the House of Commons today (September 14), Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has put up a spirited defense of his controversial Internal Market Bill (IMB).
- About 8 mln Britons face tighter lockdown rules as UK reaches "critical time" in virus fight Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- Almost 8 million Britons will be subjected to tighter lockdown restrictions next week after fresh measures were imposed in the West Midlands and Scotland, local media reported Saturday.
- Chief of Defence Intelligence comments on threats the UK will face in coming decades UK MOD 13 Sep 2020 -- Lieutenant-General Jim Hockenhull looks to the future, outlining the changing character of the threat and the role of UK Defence
- UK Chief of Defence Intelligence Warns of Capability of Russia's Burevestnik Missile Sputnik 13 Sep 2020 -- The United Kingdom's chief of defence intelligence, Lt. Gen. Jim Hockenhull, has warned that Russia's nuclear-powered Burevestnik (NATO name Skyfall) cruise missiles could remain in the atmosphere for multiple years if necessary and could pose a threat at any moment.
- British military intelligence chief warns of 'supercharging' adversaries Press TV 13 Sep 2020 -- The Chief of Defense Intelligence (DI) has sounded the alarm over the rising threat emanating from Britain's state adversaries and has called on the government to take corrective action.
- UK to 'triple' size of Oman military base Press TV 12 Sep 2020 -- The UK is planning to significantly expand the size of its military base on the coast of Oman ostensibly to enhance the Royal Navy's presence "east of Suez".
- Defense secretary Wallace intervenes in tank debate Press TV 12 Sep 2020 -- The defense secretary, Ben Wallace, has pushed back against "rumors" that the UK's entire tank fleet could be ditched as part of the government's integrated review of defense, foreign and security policy.
- UK Defence Minister Refutes Reports That Country Will Scrap Entire Tank Fleet Sputnik 12 Sep 2020 -- The development comes as the UK government is looking to give British foreign policy its biggest revamp in decades, which will reportedly include focusing on more modern technological capabilities in order to keep pace with the "changing nature of warfare" while at the same time expanding overseas basing.
- Boris Johnson Accuses EU of Threatening UK's Territorial Integrity Amid Row Over New Bill Sputnik 12 Sep 2020 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has accused the European Union of threatening the United Kingdom's territorial integrity as he urged the country's lawmakers to pass the government's proposed Internal Market Bill, which has created a diplomatic row with Brussels, in an op-ed published in the Daily Telegraph newspaper on Saturday.
- UK reaches first major post-Brexit free trade deal with Japan People's Daily 12 Sep 2020 -- Britain and Japan on Friday secured a free trade agreement, which is Britain's first major trade deal as an independent trading nation after Brexit, the British government said Friday.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 12 Sep 2020 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Bahrain and Israel: UK responds to announcement of normalisation UK FCDO 11 Sep 2020 -- The Foreign Secretary has issued a statement on the announcement of the normalisation of relations between Bahrain and Israel.
- Research uncovers accelerating spread of infection from late August to early September Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- The study, known as React-1, began in May using swabs from about 120,000 to 160,000 randomly selected people across 315 local authority areas each month to track the spread of coronavirus using PCR analysis – the "have you got it now" test, has revealed a doubling every week of cases in England, suggesting a resurgence of COVID-19.
- EU Warns UK About Compliance With Brexit Deal After UK Publishes Internal Market Deal Sputnik 10 Sep 2020 -- The Brexit Withdrawal agreement cannot be unilaterally changed or disregarded, the European Commission said Thursday, after an extraordinary meeting of the EU-UK Joint Committee.
- UK leads multi-national task group of warships above the Arctic Circle in demonstration of freedom of navigation UK MOD 10 Sep 2020 -- The Royal Navy has led a multi-national task group of warships and aircraft into the High North for the first time in more than twenty years on an operation to demonstrate freedom of navigation above the Arctic Circle.
- Europe Furious Over Johnson's Plan to Override Brexit Agreement VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- Brexit negotiations hit a new low this week as the European Union's top leaders in Brussels reacted angrily to British prime minister Boris Johnson's plans to override a key part of Britain's withdrawal agreement from the EU, which was struck only last year.
- Boris Johnson defends controversial new Brexit-related bill Press TV 09 Sep 2020 -- As concern continues to mount about the government's highly controversial bill, which is set to interfere with aspects of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has leapt to its defense.
- Brexit: Scottish and Welsh Governments Furious as Boris Johnson Unveils Internal Market Bill Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- Britain left the European Union on 31 December but has remained part of the single market during a transition period which expires at the end of this year. The British government has been trying to negotiate a new trade deal with the EU but has threatened to walk away without a deal.
- British PM Defends New Brexit Bill to Protect UK's 'Internal Market' VOA 09 Sep 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says he plans to "press on" with proposed legislation that explicitly acknowledges his government could break international law by ignoring some parts of the Brexit treaty it signed with the European Union.
- Boris Johnson imposes new partial lockdown to prevent Covid-19 second wave Press TV 09 Sep 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has imposed new coronavirus-related restrictions to contain what is gearing up to be a second wave of infections.
- U.K. leads U.S. and Norwegian Ships to Train in the Barents Sea US Navy 08 Sep 2020 -- Ships from Norway, the U.S. and U.K. entered the Barents Sea Sept. 7, 2020, working together to conduct maritime security operations in the challenging environment above the Arctic Circle.
- Theater, Brinkmanship Mark Brexit Talks VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- Negotiators on both sides of the English Channel say this week is the "moment of reckoning" for a post-Brexit trade deal between the European Union and Britain. But after six months of toxic wrangling the odds are mounting an agreement will not be struck, both British and European officials concede.
- Cyprus-based RAF jets deployed against Russian air force Press TV 05 Sep 2020 -- Royal Air Force (RAF) fighter jets based in Cyprus are conducting surveillance and countering missions against the Russian air force – and other military assets – over the Black Sea region.
- Feeling the Crunch: Will Britain Say Goodbye to the Battle Tank? VOA 05 Sep 2020 -- On the morning of September 15, 1916, during the battle of the Somme, one of the world's deadliest engagements, German soldiers were shocked to find themselves confronting the first ever deployed combat tanks.
- Confusion in UK over different quarantine rules for England, Wales and Scotland Press TV 04 Sep 2020 -- Those travelling to the UK from Europe remain confused as Wales and Scotland slapped a 14-day quarantine on arrivals from Portugal but England and Northern Ireland held back from restrictions.
- Trial test kit said to provide results within twenty minutes Press TV 03 Sep 2020 -- As part of preparations aimed at preventing a second COVID-19 wave during the upcoming winter, the UK government is to trial routine weekly testing of the population, which former Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt asserts should become the norm.
- Counter-drone tech and state-of-the-art radar for the RAF UK MOD 03 Sep 2020 -- RAF Typhoons are to be equipped with next generation radar thanks to a £317 million investment, Defence Minister Jeremy Quin today announced.
- Foreign Secretary statement on Alexey Navalny UK FCDO 02 Sep 2020 -- Following a statement by the German government on Alexey Navalny, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab made the below comments.
- Committing to a lasting ceasefire in Libya UK FCDO 02 Sep 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador Jonathan Allen, UK Chargé d'Affaires to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the situation in Libya
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list