Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2020 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Scotland's Sturgeon: 'We Have to Be Very Cautious in Easing Coronavirus Lockdown' Sputnik 31 May 2020 -- Earlier this month, First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon outlined a roadmap for the nation to start loosening the coronavirus restrictions.
- Greece Blocks British, American, Italian Travelers from Vacationing in June VOA 31 May 2020 -- Greece may be a top vacation destination, but for the British, Americans and Italians dreaming of getting away, the country will be off limits for some time. The government in Athens has left them off a list of 29 countries from which Greece will start accepting visitors, as it scrambles to mitigate the damage that the COVID-19 pandemic has spelled for its biggest money-making industry: tourism.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 29 May 2020 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- 17,000 fined for allegedly breaching lockdown rules in England and Wales Press TV 29 May 2020 -- Data from the National Police Chiefs' Council reveals that alleged breaches of the coronavirus lockdown in England and Wales have resulted in 17,000 fines being issued.
- UK temporarily closes North Korea embassy due to difficulties caused by coronavirus restrictions Press TV 28 May 2020 -- The United Kingdom has temporarily closed its embassy in North Korea and pulled out its diplomatic personnel from the country, the UK ambassador to Pyongyang has announced.
- Britain Closes Embassy in North Korea Citing Strict Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 28 May 2020 -- Britain's ambassador to North Korea says the embassy has temporarily closed in the autocratic regime due to strict coronavirus restrictions.
- Secretary Pompeo's Call with UK Foreign Secretary Raab US Dept. of State 27 May 2020
- British Junior Minister for Scotland Resigns over PM Advisor Quarantine Trip VOA 26 May 2020 -- A junior British government minister to Scotland resigned Tuesday over Prime Minister Boris Johnson's failure to fire his top aide for breaching coronavirus lockdown rules by traveling to visit his family.
- Britain to provide anti-viral drug remdesivir to some COVID-19 patients SPA 26 May 2020 -- Britain will provide anti-viral drug remdesivir to certain COVID-19 patients that it is most likely to benefit as part of a collaboration with manufacturer Gilead Sciences, Reuters quoted the health ministry as saying on Tuesday.
- As many as 29% of swab COVID-19 tests in UK produce wrong results Press TV 25 May 2020 -- Doctors' leaders in the UK have demanded an end to the "evasion" and "wall of silence" around how many swab tests on NHS staff produce wrong results.
- Top British Aide to PM Defends Coronavirus Personal Travel VOA 25 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's closest aide has defied calls to step down, following accusations he broke coronavirus lockdown rules.
- UK COVID-19 deaths rise to 36,675 after another 282 patients die Global Times 24 May 2020 -- Another 282 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain as of Friday afternoon, bringing the total coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 36,675, British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said Saturday.
- Study: UK Lockdown Measures Delay Saw Coronavirus Cases Rise 1.3m in Nine Days Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- Boris Johnson's delay in imposing measures saw cases rise from 200,000 on 14th March to 1.5 million on 23rd March as the government deliberated on the timing and scale of the lockdown, it is alleged.
- UK's Johnson Won't Fire Adviser Over Lockdown Violations VOA 24 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is defending one of his top advisers who has come under scrutiny for violating travel lockdowns.
- BoJo Allegedly Has Cunning Plan to Allow Hong Kong Citizens to Emigrate to UK Sputnik 24 May 2020 -- The revelation follows moves by China to introduce a resolution improving the Basic Law that sets out the framework of ties between Hong Kong and Beijing, which could include a national security convention banning "treason, secession, sedition and subversion", and may be passed without consultation with the region's legislature.
- PM adviser Dominic Cummings embroiled in coronavirus controversy Press TV 23 May 2020 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson's chief strategist, Dominic Cummings, is back in the headlines for the wrong reasons, this time for allegedly breaking the UK's coronavirus-related lockdown rules.
- Dominic Cummings Defied Coronavirus Lockdown Rules Twice to Visit Parents, Report Claims Sputnik 23 May 2020 -- On 5 April, Boris Johnson's top aide was spotted in Durham, in breach of nationwide lockdown regulations - the stay-at-home orders implemented to slow the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak in the United Kingdom - according to a joint investigation by The Guardian and the Daily Mirror released on Friday.
- Johnson considers terminating Huawei role in UK 5G network Press TV 23 May 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is considering terminating the role of Chinese technology giant Huawei's role in the development of the UK's 5G network even before it began.
- UK Dropped South Korea-Style Widespread Testing Due to 'Sheer Scale' of Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic has spread across the United Kingdom to such a degree that it has become the worst country in Europe for total deaths from the disease. The government has been under fire in recent weeks for not rolling out sufficient testing and learning from the example of countries which were hit by the outbreak earlier.
- UK government intentionally put a stop to mass testing and tracing in March: advisers Press TV 22 May 2020 -- It has been brought to light that Britain intentionally put an end to mass testing and contact tracing of those with or suspected of having COVID-19 in March since a surge in new cases at that time would have been beyond the system's capacity.
- Priti Patel Announces 14 Day Quarantine for People Entering UK Sputnik 22 May 2020 -- Earlier in the day, Sky News reported that the UK government was expected to strengthen its 14-day quarantine policy for those arriving or returning to the country following the end of the current coronavirus lockdown.
- British Health Ministry Says 17% of Londoners Had Virus VOA 21 May 2020 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock said Thursday that a small-scale antibody surveillance study has shown that about 17% of people in London and 5% in the rest of the country have had COVID-19.
- Scotland to Begin Cautiously Lifting COVID Restrictions May 28 VOA 21 May 2020 -- Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Thursday she is ready to cautiously begin lifting some of that nation's COVID-19 restrictions next week.
- UK deaths top 35,000, Italy struggles to reopen as cases fall People's Daily 20 May 2020 -- UK COVID-19 deaths top 35,000 as Britain faces "severe recession";
- UK military finally winds down coronavirus campaign Press TV 20 May 2020 -- After months of grandstanding over the coronavirus pandemic, the UK military has finally been forced to officially wind down its campaign.
- Critics Knock Britain's Handling of COVID Pandemic VOA 20 May 2020 -- For most of the coronavirus pandemic, the daily Downing Street briefing by ministers of the ruling Conservative party has been accompanied by a chart showing Britain's death toll trailing comfortably behind tallies in other Western countries, notably Italy and Spain. But earlier this month, when Britain's toll surged past continental neighbors, the chart unceremoniously disappeared.
- British PM Johnson Pledges Track & Trace by June 1 VOA 20 May 2020 -- Britain's prime minister told parliament on Wednesday that a COVID-19 test, track and tracing system would be in place by June 1.
- Venezuela in legal bid to release gold held by Bank of England Press TV 20 May 2020 -- Cash-strapped Venezuela has launched legal action against the Bank of England (the UK's central bank) in order to secure the release of $1bn worth of Venezuelan gold.
- Venezuela Reportedly Files Legal Claim to Force Bank of England to Transfer its Gold Sputnik 20 May 2020 -- In April, Venezuela, which has been struggling under a COVID-19 quarantine while crippled by US sanctions, demanded that the Bank of England sell part of the gold reserves it has kept there to help fund the country's efforts to fight the pandemic.
- Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 18 May 2020 UK FCO 18 May 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the 18 May 2020 daily press briefing on the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UK COVID-19 deaths rise to 34,636 as another 170 patients die Global Times 18 May 2020 -- Another 170 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain as of Saturday afternoon, bringing the total coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 34,636, the Department of Health and Social Care said Sunday.
- Government advisor states UK may have to live with coronavirus 'for years' Press TV 18 May 2020 -- As the British government gradually unpicks the lockdown there are growing fears the country may have to grapple with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, for years to come.
- Boris Johnson Says Wants to Return UK to 'Near Normality' in July - Report Sputnik 17 May 2020 -- As the United Kingdom has witnessed a downward trend in the number of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, the government has begun to gradually relax lockdown restrictions put into place on 23 March.
- US, Russia, Britain Top List of COVID Infections VOA 16 May 2020 -- Nearly 4.6 million people worldwide have been infected with the coronavirus and more than 310,000 have died because of it, according to figures available Saturday afternoon from Johns Hopkins University.
- Coronavirus-linked rare disease kills 9-year-old in France, UK deaths at nearly 34,000 People's Daily 16 May 2020 -- Italy registered 242 new coronavirus fatalities on Friday, bringing the country's death toll to 31,610, out of total infection cases of 223,885, according to the latest data provided by the country's Civil Protection Department.
- Defense committee to probe armed forces' role in coronavirus crisis Press TV 16 May 2020 -- The House of Commons Defense Select Committee has launched an inquiry into the "nature" of the armed forces' "contribution" to the management of the coronavirus crisis.
- Report reveals UK attempt to turn Syria Alawites against Assad Press TV 14 May 2020 -- A new report sheds light on Britain's role in the formation of a so-called protest campaign online against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the name of the Arab country's Alawite community, a key source of support for Damascus in its years-long fight against foreign-sponsored terrorists.
- UK COVID-19 deaths rise to 32,692 as another 627 patients die Global Times 13 May 2020 -- Another 627 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain as of Monday afternoon, bringing the total coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 32,692, the Department of Health and Social Care said Tuesday.
- UK deaths reach 32,692, Spain sees slight rises in new infections, deaths People's Daily 13 May 2020 -- UK deaths rise to 32,692 as another 627 patients die;
- UK Defence Ministry Blasted for Wasting $1.6 Billion on Trident Nuclear Programme Upgrade Sputnik 13 May 2020 -- Earlier this year, the National Audit Office warned that the UK Ministry of Defence kept repeating mistakes made during the last cycle of investment in the nuclear deterrent, in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Europe Coronavirus Updates: UK death toll tops 32,000, Germany to earmark 750 mln euros for vaccine People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- UK recovery plan unveiled in detail as death toll tops 32,000;
- UK adopts strong security approach to coronavirus crisis management Press TV 12 May 2020 -- In a dramatic sign that the UK is determined to add a strong security dimension to the management of its coronovirus crisis, a new joint bio-security center is to be established by a senior security official tipped to become the next chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).
- UK COVID-19 death toll tops 38,000 SPA 12 May 2020 -- The United Kingdom's COVID-19 death toll topped 38,000 as of early May, including suspected cases, by far the worst official toll yet in Europe, according to official data published on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- UK coronavirus recovery plan unveiled in detail as death toll tops 32,000 People's Daily 12 May 2020 -- The British government on Monday published the document of the long-expected COVID-19 recovery plan, hoping to gradually ease the lockdown measures while at the same time getting the coronavirus pandemic under control.
- British PM Defends His New Plan to End Lockdown VOA 11 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson sought to assure the public Monday that the government is taking "baby steps" toward leading the country out of the lockdown prompted by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Britain Issues New Guidance on COVID-19 VOA 11 May 2020 -- Britain has issued guidance for wearing face coverings in public on Monday as part of a large plan to slowly reopen the country's economy.
- COVID-19: UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Lockdown Reduction Plan Explained Sputnik 11 May 2020 -- The UK government has released a 50-page strategy document, dubbed 'Our Plan to Rebuild', which outlines a broad program for the eventual roll-back of coronavirus lockdown measures.
- Police federation complains of 'loose' lockdown rules Press TV 11 May 2020 -- Only a day after Prime Minister Boris Johnson' announcement of new updated lockdown rules, the Police Federation for England and Wales (PFEW) has derided the new measures as "impossible" to enforce.
- UK PM unveils "conditional plan" for next-phase response to COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 11 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson revealed his government's approach to tackling the COVID-19 pandemic in the next phase in his address to the nation Sunday evening.
- Britain Enters Post-coronavirus Period Monday VOA 10 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson emphasized that Britain is not ending the lockdown but only modifying tough measures that had been imposed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- U.S., UK conducting mine countermeasure exercise in the Arabian Gulf CENTCOM 10 May 2020 -- U.S. and UK Royal Navy mine countermeasures and surface assets are conducting Mine Countermeasures Exercise 2020 (MCMEX 20-3) in the Arabian Gulf April-May.
- PM address to the nation on coronavirus: 10 May 2020 Gov.UK 10 May 2020 -- It is now almost two months since the people of this country began to put up with restrictions on their freedom - your freedom - of a kind that we have never seen before in peace or war.
- UK was not ready for worst-case pandemic scenario: leaked report Global Times 10 May 2020 -- Britain was not prepared to deal with a health pandemic, according to the Evening Standard newspaper, citing a recently leaked secret Whitehall document produced years before the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Sets Out Plans to Gradually Relax Lockdown Restrictions Sputnik 10 May 2020 -- The prime minister is expected to present a five-tier alert system for England to allow the authorities to increase coronavirus-related limitations locally, if necessary. Other constituent regions will be urged to follow the recommendations, but they are entitled to follow their own path.
- Scotland's Nicola Sturgeon: Boris Johnson's Decision to Drop 'Stay at Home' Message is Catastrophic Sputnik 10 May 2020 -- UK authorities have been engaged in a fierce debate in recent weeks over when lockdown restrictions should be lifted in order for businesses to reopen, with one side suggesting that the focus should be on the economy, while the other side argues that lifting the restrictions early may bring about a second wave of the pandemic.
- UK Government Releases Previously Redacted Document on Harsher Lockdown Measures Sputnik 10 May 2020 -- On 8th May, The Guardian reported that some members of Whitehall's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies were angry over the manner in which the government heavily redacted an official report before it was released publicly.
- UK nations in open rebellion over lockdown relaxation Press TV 10 May 2020 -- The government's confusing transition from strict lockdown to a softer version is threatening to inflame the UK's centrifugal forces.
- Nicola Sturgeon defies London over lockdown relaxation Press TV 10 May 2020 -- Scotland's First Secretary, Nicola Sturgeon, has openly defied Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, over the expected relaxation of the coronavirus lockdown, thus deepening the rift between Edinburgh and London as to how to manage the crisis.
- UK to Quarantine All Arrivals for Two Weeks in Order to Prevent Second Peak of Coronavirus – Report Sputnik 09 May 2020 -- The new measures were said to come as part of Downing Street's plan to lead the United Kingdom out of the lockdown implemented on 23 March to slow the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Germany's Foreign Minister warns hard Brexit increasingly likely to happen as UK-EU talks stall Press TV 09 May 2020 -- German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has warned that the risk of a hard Brexit is increasingly likely for the United Kingdom as London has so far made almost no progress in talks with the European Union (EU) on the future trade relationship, criticizing Britain for disregarding the agreed political agreement.
- British PM Delays Lifting Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 08 May 2020 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson will keep Britain under a coronavirus lockdown until at least next month – to the frustration of some in his Cabinet, who behind the scenes are arguing that Downing Street now needs to prioritize the economy, which is heading for its worst recession in 300 years.
- No evidence that novel coronavirus was man-made in China: UK Health Secretary People's Daily 08 May 2020 -- The British government has not seen any evidence to suggest that the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 was man-made, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.
- U.S. and British Ships depart Barents Sea, Continue Arctic Operations NNS 08 May 2020 -- U.S. guided-missile destroyers and a British frigate departed the Barents Sea May 8, following seven days of Arctic operations.
- PM questioned by lawmakers over COVID-19 strategy as UK prepares to ease lockdown Global Times 07 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday was faced with tough questions in the House of Commons (lower house of parliament) as he is mulling a "comprehensive" plan to ease the COVID-19 lockdown.
- PM questioned by lawmakers over COVID-19 strategy as UK prepares to ease lockdown People's Daily 07 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday was faced with tough questions in the House of Commons (lower house of parliament) as he is mulling a "comprehensive" plan to ease the COVID-19 lockdown.
- Scotland's First Minister: Too Soon to Lift Restrictions VOA 07 May 2020 -- Scotland's First Minister says she believes the country needs to extend its COVID 19-related lockdown, despite British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's desire to lift restrictions next week.
- All 400,000 PPE Gowns Sent to UK by Turkey Fail Safety Standards, Reports Suggest Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- London had to purchase as many personal protective equipment units as possible back in April amid severe shortages in the National Healthcare Service, as trade unions warned that medics may refuse to work due to the crisis.
- UK Reportedly Drafts Five-Stage Plan to Ease Lockdown By October Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- Reports of the plan come after the United Kingdom became the first country in Europe to confirm over 30,000 deaths caused by the novel coronavirus pandemic that has plunged most of the world into lockdown.
- Government confirms 400,000 Turkish gowns are useless for NHS Press TV 07 May 2020 -- The UK government has said that the 400,000 surgical gowns flown in from Turkey by the RAF do not meet British safety standards.
- Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 7 May 2020 UK FCO 07 May 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the 7 May 2020 daily press briefing on the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Special Forces Deficient British Army Launches Major Recruitment Drive Sputnik 07 May 2020 -- Despite the ongoing coronavirus crisis, he British Army's website makes clear the armed forces are still accepting applications - indeed is currently advertising for a number of "army jobs", including officers, mechanics and trainee intelligence analysts.
- Britain's Johnson Says Lockdown Announcement to Come Sunday VOA 06 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told parliament Wednesday an announcement on the easing of lockdown measures will take place Sunday.
- Boris Johnson Promises 200,000 Daily Coronavirus Tests in the UK by End of May Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was taken to task in the House of Commons over the state of the country as it peaks above Italy for the most coronavirus deaths in Europe. The government had previously aimed to reach 100,000 tests per-day as its strategy seeks to expand testing and tracing of the population.
- UK overtakes Italy as worst-hit country in Europe by coronavirus People's Daily 06 May 2020 -- Britain has overtaken Italy as the worst-hit country in Europe by the novel coronavirus, according to the latest official figures released Tuesday.
- PM Johnson indicates lockdown relaxation by early next week Press TV 06 May 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has given strong indications that the UK-wide lockdown will be eased from next Monday (May 11).
- US Senators 'Seek to Block Deployment of F-35A Jets to UK' Over Huawei's Role in 5G Rollout Sputnik 06 May 2020 -- After Prime Minister Boris Johnson allowed Huawei to build "non-core" parts of the UK's 5G networks, the US has ramped up pressure on the country to reconsider, claiming the Chinese firm posed a security hazard, with Donald Trump previously suggesting that future intelligence-sharing with America's "Five Eyes" allies could be at risk.
- Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 5 May 2020 UK FCO 05 May 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the 5 May 2020 daily press briefing on the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UK COVID-19 death toll rises above 32,000 SPA 05 May 2020 -- More than 32,000 people in the United Kingdom have died with suspected COVID-19, the highest official toll yet reported in Europe, according to data published on Tuesday.
- RAF bombs Iraq for second time in a month Press TV 05 May 2020 -- The Royal Air Force (RAF) has carried out a bombing raid in northern Iraq under the guise of combating the terrorist group Daesh.
- UK Among Five European States Not Seeing Decline in Covid-19 Cases, Despite Government Claims Sputnik 04 May 2020 -- The United Kingdom has boasted that its lockdown strategy, intended to enforce social distancing measures and slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, was a success. However, this claim has now been contradicted by new reports released by European Union affiliated research groups.
- UK COVID-19 deaths hit 28,446 as another 315 patients die Global Times 04 May 2020 -- Another 315 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain, bringing the total novel coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 28,446, Minister for the Cabinet Office Michael Gove said Sunday.
- U.S., U.K. Ships Operate in the Barents Sea NNS 04 May 2020 -- Four U.S. Navy ships and a Royal Navy ship entered the Barents Sea, working together to conduct maritime security operations in the challenging environmental conditions above the Arctic Circle, May 4, 2020.
- UK COVID-19 deaths top 28,000 as government pledges support for "most vulnerable" People's Daily 03 May 2020 -- Another 621 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain, bringing the total coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 28,131, Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick said Saturday.
- UK Gov't Considers Introducing 14-Day Quarantine for Flight Arrivals, Transport Secretary Says Sputnik 03 May 2020 -- While the United Kingdom has introduced social-distancing measures through the enforcing of lockdown regulations to combat the spread of Covid-19, thousands still fly into the country, even from the world's worst affected areas.
- Europe Coronavirus Updates: UK COVID-19 deaths top 28,000, France extends state of health emergency Global Times 03 May 2020 -- The following are the latest developments of the COVID-19 pandemic in European countries.
- Europe Coronavirus Updates: UK hits testing goal, France sees lowest daily increase in COVID-19 deaths People's Daily 02 May 2020 -- UK hits testing goal as COVID-19 deaths rise to 27,510;
- RAF Typhoons begin NATO Air Policing mission in Lithuania UK MOD 01 May 2020 -- Royal Air Force Typhoon jets will be in Lithuania for the summer, patrolling and protecting NATO airspace.
- Warships From US 6th Fleet, UK Practice Anti-Submarine Warfare in Arctic, Navy Says Sputnik 01 May 2020 -- The US and UK navies joined forces for an anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Arctic featuring a single submarine, P8-A surveillance aircraft, warships from both nations and 1,200 sailors, the US Navy reported in a press release on Friday.
- U.S., and British Ships Conduct Anti-submarine Exercise Above Arctic Circle NNS 01 May 2020 -- U.S. 6th Fleet (C6F) conducted a bilateral naval anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise with the U.K., above the Arctic Circle, May 1, 2020.
- Scotland Makes Strides on COVID-19 Testing VOA 01 May 2020 -- Scotland First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Friday the country will have the capacity to test 12,000 people for COVID-19 by the middle of the month.
- UK ethnic minorities dying in greater numbers from COVID-19 Press TV 01 May 2020 -- A new report says the coronavirus epidemic is killing Britain's ethnic minorities in disproportionate numbers, despite the fact that most minority groups are much younger on average than the white British population.
- UK Institute Records Disproportion in COVID-19 Deaths Among Different Ethnic Groups Sputnik 01 May 2020 -- Different ethnic groups living in the United Kingdom are facing different mortality rates among COVID-19 patients, the UK's Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said in a report issued on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list