Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2017 - United Kingdom Special Weapons News
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 31 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- U.S., U.K., Ukraine, Others Begin Massive Military Drills In Georgia RFE/RL 31 Jul 2017 -- Some 2,800 troops from host Georgia, the United States, and six other countries have begun a major military exercise in the South Caucasus nation.
- UK-EU freedom of movement will end in 2019: UK ministers Press TV 30 Jul 2017 -- UK government ministers have said that the free movement of people between Britain and the European Union will end in March 2019.
- Britain Strips More Than 100 Islamic State Fighters of Citizenship VOA 30 Jul 2017 -- Their home countries don't want them back. Hundreds of foreign fighters who enlisted with Islamic State to fight in Syria and Iraq are being stripped of their citizenship and blocked from returning by Western governments.
- U.S., U.K. Co-Host Carrier Strike Group Exercise AFPS 28 Jul 2017 -- Naval forces from the U.S., U.K. and other Allied and partner countries are supporting Exercise Saxon Warrior 2017 in the North Atlantic Ocean Aug. 1-10 to demonstrate Allied interoperability and collective defense through power projection from the sea, U.S. European Command officials here announced today.
- You and Whose Army? UK Forced to Rely on NATO Air Support Due to Budget Cuts Sputnik 28 Jul 2017 -- It has been revealed the UK relies on air support from NATO allies to patrol and guard its own territorial waters, as a result of scrapping the country's fleet of Nimrod Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft in 2010, in just the latest demonstration of the country's waning military capabilities.
- UK to send warship to South China Sea, raising tensions with Beijing Press TV 27 Jul 2017 -- Britain plans to send a warship to the disputed South China Sea next year at a time of rising tensions between China and the US, a move likely to anger Beijing.
- UK to Send Brand New Ships to Disputed South China Sea for Drills Sputnik 27 Jul 2017 -- The United Kingdom will send two aircraft carriers on freedom of navigation exercises in the disputed South China Sea, UK Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said Thursday.
- UK warplanes track Russian bombers over Black Sea Press TV 26 Jul 2017 -- A British Royal Air Force fighter jet based in Romania was launched to track two Russian strategic bombers operating near NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- UK Destroyer visits Ukraine after completing multi-national naval exercise UK MOD 26 Jul 2017 -- HMS Duncan visited the Ukrainian port of Odessa this week in the first visit by a Royal Navy ship in eight years – the latest in a series of port visits and exercises conducted by the state of the art warship in the region.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 25 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- Defence Minister announces helicopter work will stay in the UK UK MOD 25 Jul 2017 -- Minister for Defence Procurement Harriett Baldwin is pleased to announce that work on the AW159 Wildcat helicopter produced by Leonardo Helicopters in Yeovil will continue in the UK.
- Chief of the Defence Staff strengthens bonds with India UK MOD 25 Jul 2017 -- The Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach GBE KCB ADC DL, paid a visit to India this week to further reinforce an already robust UK-India defence and security partnership.
- UK Armed Forces Face 'Very Dangerous Crisis' as Troop Numbers Fall Below 80,000 Sputnik 24 Jul 2017 -- UK army personnel statistics show the number of fully trained soldiers has dropped below a previous "trained strength" target of 82,000 to 78,010 – a shortfall of 3,990 fully trained troops, and the lowest total since the 18th century – and critics say the country's military faces a "potentially very, very dangerous crisis" as a result.
- Defence Secretary reveals name of first Type 26 as manufacture begins UK MOD 20 Jul 2017 -- The Defence Secretary has revealed HMS Glasgow will be the name of the first of eight City class Type 26 frigates as he cut her first piece of steel at Govan shipyard in Scotland today. HMS Glasgow will enter service with the Royal Navy in the mid 2020s.
- F-35B Lightning II Fighters: UK MoD Faces Hundreds of Millions in Extra Costs Sputnik 18 Jul 2017 -- UK defense chiefs are facing a bill of hundreds of millions due to the hidden costs of the F-35B Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter, due to be added to the Royal Air Force's arsenal before the end of 2017. Billions are to be spent on the fleet – a fleet which may not even work properly due to defense cuts.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 17 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- UK extends training of Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 17 Jul 2017 -- The UK is expanding its training of the Ukrainian Armed Forces with new military courses covering threats like countering attacks from snipers, armoured vehicles and mortars.
- Britain spends billions on flawed fighter jets: media People's Daily 17 Jul 2017 -- Local media on Monday accused Britain of paying hundreds of millions of pounds in hidden costs for a next-generation warplane which will be unable to work properly due to defense cuts.
- UK losing millions on flawed F-35 fighter jets: Report Press TV 17 Jul 2017 -- The British Royal Air Force (RAF) is spending millions of pounds on flawed F-35 Lightning II jets that it might never be able to fly properly, a new report has revealed.
- UK Readies to Pay Millions of Dollars for 'Hidden Costs' of US F-35 Fighter Jets Sputnik 17 Jul 2017 -- The US F-35 military aircraft purchased by the United Kingdom will cost London extra millions of dollars due to the "hidden costs" forming a large part of each aircraft's total price, the UK media reported Monday.
- U.K., EU Set To Open Next Round Of Brexit Talks In Brussels RFE/RL 16 Jul 2017 -- The United Kingdom and the European Union are set to launch the formal round of negotiations expected to settle terms for Britain's eventual withdrawal from the 28-member bloc.
- Defence Secretary announces £120m investment in UK air power UK MOD 14 Jul 2017 -- Speaking at the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT), Sir Michael Fallon has announced two contracts worth almost £120 million.
- Royal Navy and Royal Marines train alongside partner naval forces UK MOD 14 Jul 2017 -- UK maritime forces have trained alongside partner nations' navies during deployment on board a French warship.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 13 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- 'Defining Moment' for RAF as Women to Serve in Close Combat Roles for First Time Sputnik 13 Jul 2017 -- Women are to be allowed to serve in the UK's Royal Air Force Regiment, the RAF ground fighting, close combat division, for the first time from September, Defense Secretary Michael Fallon announced at July's RAF Air Power Conference in London.
- UK to Spend $50Mln on Upgrades of Typhoon Fighter Jets - Defense Secretary Sputnik 13 Jul 2017 -- The United Kingdom will invest 40 million pounds [$50 million] in the development of a technology, which will enhance the defenses of Typhoon fighter jets, according to UK Defense Secretary Michael Fallon.
- RAF opens close combat role to women ahead of schedule UK MOD 13 Jul 2017 -- Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has announced that from September this year, ground close combat roles in the RAF Regiment will be open to women.
- Defence Secretary announces new Maritime Patrol Aircraft squadrons UK MOD 13 Jul 2017 -- The Defence Secretary has announced the numbers of the UK's two new Maritime Patrol Aircraft squadrons and the first commanding officer.
- United Kingdom - Joint Light Tactical Vehicles (JLTV) and Accessories DSCA 10 Jul 2017 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the United Kingdom for Joint Light Tactical Vehicles (JLTV) and accessories. The estimated cost is $1.035 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- UK to buy $1B worth of US-made Joint Light Tactical Vehicles Press TV 11 Jul 2017 -- Britain is planning to purchase $1.04 billion worth of Joint Light Tactical Vehicles (JLTV), made by the United States, says the US Defense Department.
- Jeremy Corbyn says UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia 'unethical' Press TV 10 Jul 2017 -- Britain's opposition Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn has criticized a UK High Court ruling that allows London to continue arms sales to Saudi Arabia.
- UK court: Saudi arms sales lawful Press TV 10 Jul 2017 -- The UK High Court has reviewed a plea against the country's arms sales to Saudi Arabia in the light of the fact that the kingdom is waging a bloody war against Yemen, deciding that the government's weapons sales are not in contravention of the law.
- Statement from UK, US, France, on ban treaty 07 Jul 2017 -- "France, the United Kingdom and the United States have not taken part in the negotiation of the treaty on the prohibition of nuclear weapons. We do not intend to sign, ratify or ever become party to it. Therefore, there will be no change in the legal obligations on our countries with respect to nuclear weapons."
- Readout from Secretary Jim Mattis' Bilateral Meeting with UK Secretary of State for Defence Michael Fallon DoD 07 Jul 2017
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 06 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
<li><a href="/military/library/news/2017/07/mil-170707-dod02.htm">Remarks by Secretary Mattis at an Honor Cordon Welcoming U.K. Secretary of State for Defense Fallon to the Pentagon</a> <u>DoD</u> 07 Jul 2017 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; United Kingdom Secretary of State for Defense Sir Michael Fallon</li>
- UK trains over 5000 Ukrainian Armed Forces UK MOD 05 Jul 2017 -- UK has directly trained over 5000 members of Ukraine's Armed Forces, 1000 more than initially targeted, the Defence Secretary has confirmed.
- UK field hospital in South Sudan fully operational UK MOD 05 Jul 2017 -- The Defence Secretary has confirmed that the UK-built temporary hospital that will support a UN mission in country is now up and running.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 03 Jul 2017 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Iraq and Syria.
- UK Defense Ministry to Spend $4.8 Bln on Construction of 3 Type 26 Frigates Sputnik 02 Jul 2017 -- The UK Ministry of Defense will spend 3.7 billion pounds ($4.8 billion) on the first stage of construction of three Royal Navy's Type 26 frigates, the ministry said in a statement issued on Sunday.
- Multi-billion pound defence deal secures thousands of UK jobs UK MOD 02 Jul 2017 -- The Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has announced the signing of a contract worth around £3.7 billion to start building the Royal Navy's Type 26 Frigates.
- Labour leader calls for end to UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia Press TV 01 Jul 2017 -- Britain's Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has denounced the use of UK-made weapons in Saudi Arabia's war against Yemen, calling on the government to block further arms sales to the kingdom.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list