Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Biden Meets Erdogan amid Simmering Tensions VOA 31 Oct 2021 -- White House officials say U.S. President Joe Biden had "very constructive talks" with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on the sidelines of the G-20 summit in Rome Sunday amid simmering tensions and strategic disagreements between Washington and Ankara.
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey The White House 31 Oct 2021
- Turkish forces shell Syrian villages amid massive military buildup Press TV 29 Oct 2021 -- Turkish military forces have shelled two villages in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo, only a few days after Ankara dispatched military and logistical equipment to northern amid mass protests against the presence of Turkish troops in the conflict-plagued Arab country.
- Russia Warns Turkey After Ukraine Drone Strike VOA 28 Oct 2021 -- Russia is warning Turkey over arms sales to Ukraine after a Turkish-made drone attacked Russian-backed rebels in Ukraine.
- US, Turkey discuss military issues to resolve disagreements Press TV 28 Oct 2021 -- Senior advisers to US President Joe Biden and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan have discussed about the ongoing military issues between the two countries and how to resolve the differences.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 28 Oct 2021
- 2021 U.S.-Turkey F-35 Dispute Resolution Meeting DoD 27 Oct 2021
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Ibrahim Kalin, Spokesperson and Chief Advisor to the President of Turkey The White House 27 Oct 2021
- Turkey's Erdogan withdraws threat of expelling 10 Western ambassadors Press TV 25 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has backed down from his earlier threat of expelling 10 Western ambassadors over their joint call on Ankara for the release of Osman Kavala, a civil society leader.
- Turkish lira drops to historic low amid Ankara's tensions with West Press TV 25 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's national currency lira has plunged to a new record low following President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's comments amid rising tensions between Ankara and the West.
- Turkey Diplomatic Crisis Deepens as Ankara Faces Pushback over Ambassador Expulsion Threat VOA 24 Oct 2021 -- Turkey is facing diplomatic pushback after President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for the expulsion of 10 ambassadors, including U.S. Ambassador David M. Satterfield, after they called for the release of a jailed civil society leader.
- Erdogan: Turkey to banish ambassadors of 10 Western countries over call for release of rights activist Press TV 23 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he has ordered the foreign ministry to declare ambassadors from 10 Western countries, including the American envoy, "persona non grata" over their joint call on Ankara for the release of Osman Kavala, a civil society leader.
- Erdogan: Ambassadors of 10 Countries Calling for Human Rights Activist's Release to Be Expelled Sputnik 23 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan announced on Saturday that he had instructed the Turkish Foreign Ministry to declare ambassadors of 10 countries personae non gratae, including the United States, that have called on Ankara to release human rights activist Osman Kavala.
- Turkey Begins Procedure to Acquire F-16 Fighter Jets From US, Defence Minister Says Sputnik 23 Oct 2021 -- Turkey has launched the procedure to purchase F-16 fighter jets from the United States, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Saturday.
- Greece Considers Turkey's Threats 'Unacceptable, Provocative', Reports Say Sputnik 22 Oct 2021 -- Greece will continue to exercise its sovereign rights in the Mediterranean despite Turkey's "unacceptable and provocative" threats, directed against the country and Cyprus, the Kathimerini newspaper reported on Friday, citing a Greek diplomatic source.
- Iranian, Turkish FMs voice concern over surge in Daesh terror attacks in Afghanistan Press TV 22 Oct 2021 -- Iranian and Turkish foreign ministers have voiced concern over a surge in Daesh's terrorist attacks on worshippers in Afghanistan, which killed scores of worshippers during Friday prayers this month.
- Erdogan threatens use of heavy weapons against Syrian army in Idlib Press TV 21 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has reiterated support for terrorist groups in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, warning that if necessary Ankara can use heavy weapons against Syrian government forces in the area.
- Erdogan Warns Turkey Could Deploy Heavy Weaponry Against Syrian Army Sputnik 21 Oct 2021 -- Damascus has repeatedly condemned Turkey's illegal deployments in its northern territories, and has demanded that all foreign militaries and militias not explicitly invited into the war-torn country by its internationally recognised government leave immediately.
- Turkey summons ambassadors of 10 western countries over activist's case Press TV 19 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's Foreign Ministry has summoned the ambassadors of 10 western countries, including the United States and France, to protest against their "irresponsible" statement regarding the case of Osman Kavala, a civil society leader.
- Erdogan: US proposed F-16 sales to Turkey for F-35 payment Press TV 18 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the US proposed the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Turkey after it had removed Ankara from the F-35 program in retaliation for Turkey's purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense system.
- Turkey Can Purchase Russia's Su-35, Su-57 Fighters If US Does Not Sell F-16, Official Says Sputnik 18 Oct 2021 -- Turkey can purchase Russia's Su-35 and Su-57 fighters if the United States freezes the sale of F-16 fighter jets, Turkish Presidency of Defence Industries chief Ismail Demir said on Monday.
- Erdogan Says US Offered to Sell F-16s to Turkey in Return for Investment in F-35 Programme Sputnik 17 Oct 2021 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday that the United States had offered to sell F-16 fighter jets to his country as a return for its investment in the F-35 programme.
- Turkey's Erdogan threatens fresh military campaign against Kurdish militants in Syria Press TV 16 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has threatened to launch a new military campaign on the Syrian soil after a rocket attack blamed on Kurdish militants killed two Turkish special force police in northern Syria.
- Turkish Military Convoy Targeted in IED Attack Outside Idlib, Injuries Reported Sputnik 15 Oct 2021 -- According to local reports, a Turkish military convoy in the occupied Idlib governorate was struck by an improvised explosive device (IED) on Friday, with reports suggesting that two Turkish soldiers were killed and another five wounded in the attack.
- Turkey Presses Taliban for Female Education and Inclusive Afghan Government VOA 14 Oct 2021 -- Turkey hosted leaders of Afghanistan's Taliban government for the first time Thursday, repeating its advice to the Islamist group on the need to form an inclusive government in the war-torn South Asian nation and to ensure Afghan female participation in education as well as public life.
- Taliban Foreign Minister Arrives In Turkey For Talks With Turkish FM RFE/RL Gandhara 14 Oct 2021 -- A Taliban delegation led by acting Foreign Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi arrived in Turkey on October 14 for talks with Turkish officials, including Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.
- Turkey boosts drone sales to Africa in a move set to stoke tensions Press TV 14 Oct 2021 -- Turkey has increased its export of combat drones to Morocco and Ethiopia in a move set to anger Egypt and Sudan, Egyptian security sources say.
- Erdogan Says Media Are 'Incomparably Free,' But Turkish Journalists Disagree VOA 13 Oct 2021 -- Turkey's president has brushed aside criticism of the country's press freedom record, telling a U.S. broadcaster the country is "incomparably free."
- Turkey Considering Upgrading F-16 Fighters as Alternative to F-35s Sputnik 12 Oct 2021 -- Turkey is considering the possibility of expanding its fleet and upgrading existing F-16 military aircraft as an alternative to purchasing the latest F-35 fighter jets from the US, after the deal was scrapped by Washington due to Ankara's purchase of the Russian S-400s, Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalyn said.
- Syria's FM hails military co-op with Russia, demands end to illegal US, Turkish presence Press TV 10 Oct 2021 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad says his country does not disagree with Russia over the priorities in the fight against terrorism, while demanding that Turkey and the United States immediately end their illegal occupation of the Arab country.
- Turkey And Azerbaijan Launch Joint Military Drills RFE/RL 06 Oct 2021 -- Turkey and Azerbaijan have launched joint military drills as the two nations expand defense ties in the wake of last year's war against Armenian forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Turkey to seek compensation for removal from US-led fighter jet program Press TV 01 Oct 2021 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Turkey will seek compensation for its removal from a US-led stealth fighter jet program, which took place over Ankara's purchase of advanced S-400 missile defense systems from Russia.
- Erdogan, Putin discuss setting up more nuclear power plants in Turkey Press TV 02 Oct 2021 -- The Turkish and Russian heads of state have discussed establishment of two more nuclear power plants in Turkey in addition to one that is already being built in the country's south.
- Turkey warns against warship deal between France, Greece Press TV 02 Oct 2021 -- Turkey says a recent warship deal between France and Greece threatens the region's stability as it is aimed at isolating Ankara.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 01 Oct 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list