Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2020 - Turkey Special Weapons News
- Coronavirus response: Turkey delivers medical aid to the US NATO 30 Apr 2020 -- On 28 April 2020, an A-400M military aircraft from the Turkish Air Force, which took off from the Etimesgut Airfield in Ankara (Turkey) to deliver critical medical supplies to the United States, landed at the Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as part of ongoing Allied efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. A second Turkish military aircraft carrying medical supplies to the United States left Ankara today.
- Turkey deployed US-made HAWK missiles to Idlib: Syria's UN envoy Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Syria's UN ambassador has once again denounced Turkey for defying Damascus and intensifying its "illegitimate" military presence in the Arab country, saying Ankara's forces have deployed US-made missiles to Syria's militant-held Idlib Province in a flagrant violation of international law.
- Turkey Delivers COVID-19 Medical Supplies DoD News 29 Apr 2020 -- A Turkish Airbus A400M Atlas delivered medical gloves, masks, protective goggles, hand sanitizer and protective clothes to the United States as a gesture of support from one NATO ally to another.
- In letter to Trump, Erdogan calls for better US understanding of strategic Turkey ties amid pandemic Press TV 29 Apr 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has sent a letter to his American counterpart, Donald Trump, expressing hope that the United States will "better understand" the significance of bilateral relations between the two NATO allies during a coronavirus pandemic.
- Turkey, Russia conduct 6th joint patrol in Idlib of Syria Global Times 29 Apr 2020 -- Turkish and Russian troops on Tuesday held their sixth joint patrol along key M-4 highway in northwestern Idlib province of Syria, Turkish Defense Ministry said.
- Turkey censures Haftar for seeking 'military dictatorship' in Libya Press TV 29 Apr 2020 -- Turkey says it will defend the internationally recognized government of Libya against the 'military dictatorship' planned by renegade General Khalifa Haftar, who has claimed to have a "mandate" to rule the African country.
- 40 Civilians Killed in Bomb Attack in Syria's Afrin, Turkish Defence Ministry States Sputnik 28 Apr 2020 -- Ambulances and fire brigades are working on the scene of the explosion, local media reported.
- US Reportedly Slams Turkey's Plans for Natural Resource Exploration Off Cyprus' Coast Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- US Ambassador to Cyprus Judith Garber insisted that the development of natural resources in the eastern Mediterranean "should promote cooperation" and help foster energy security and economic prosperity in the region.
- Turkish forces gun down two protesters in northwest Syria Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Turkish forces have reportedly opened live fire on people protesting their patrolling of a key highway in northwestern Syria, killing two people and wounding three more.
- Turkey confirms 3,122 new COVID-19 cases, 104,912 in total Global Times 25 Apr 2020 -- Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca on Friday confirmed 3,122 new COVID-19 cases and 109 more deaths in Turkey.
- Nearly 10,000 Syria militants recruited by Turkey so far to fight in Libya; over 220 killed in action: SOHR Press TV 25 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has recruited nearly 10,000 allied Takfiri militants to fight in Libya and has sent more than half of them from Syria to the North African country, a war monitor says.
- Turkey brings additional military reinforcement to Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 23 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish army has brought additional military reinforcements to Syria's easternmost Hasakah province as part of Ankara's unauthorized cross-border offensive into the Arab country, says a report by Syria's official news agency.
- FMs of Iran, Russia, Turkey stress consultations within Astana process as best solution to Syria crisis Press TV 22 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian, Turkish and Russian foreign ministers have emphasized the need to continue consultations and coordination among the three guarantors of the Astana process as the most effective format for the settlement of the crisis in Syria.
- US threatens Turkey with sanctions over purchase of Russian S-400 systems Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- The United States has once again threatened that Turkey could face sanctions if it proceeds with the installation of the S-400 missile systems that it has purchased from Russia, repeating the call for Ankara to cancel the deal with Moscow, which has been a major bone of contention between the two NATO allies.
- Turkish indictment gives details on how Saudi hit squad tried to hide traces of Khashoggi murder Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- A Turkish indictment filed by the Istanbul prosecutor's office on the state-sponsored murder of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi gives more details on a cover-up operation by the Saudi regime's operatives to hide their tracks.
- Turkey Releases Refugees from Quarantine Amid Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 16 Apr 2020 -- After more than two weeks of forced quarantine, hundreds of refugees in Turkey have been released haphazardly in recent days, with many being left on the streets in locked down coastal areas.
- Turkey's deadly drone strike on Iraqi refugee camp draws angry reactions Press TV 16 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has launched a deadly drone strike on a refugee camp in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, drawing angry reactions from Iraqi politicians of different factions, who censured the attack as a violation of the Arab country's sovereignty.
- Turkey Releases Refugees from Quarantine Amid Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 15 Apr 2020 -- After more than two weeks of forced quarantine, hundreds of refugees in Turkey have been released haphazardly in recent days, with many being left on the streets in locked down coastal areas.
- Turkey: Stance on buying Russian S-400 unchanged; working group can resolve row with US Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has once again defied US calls to abandon a deal for the purchase of Russian S-400 missile defense systems, repeating an offer for a NATO-led working group to resolve the long-running dispute with Washington.
- Turkey 'Neutralises' Armed Militants in Kurdish-Majority Southeast - Reports Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- Turkish gendarmerie forces have "neutralised" two armed militants in the Kurdish-dominated Sirnak Province in the country's southeast, media said Wednesday.
- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants torch homes in northeastern Syria: SANA Press TV 15 Apr 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have reportedly burned a number of residential buildings in the countryside of Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah.
- Russia, Turkey Hold 4th Joint Patrol of M4 Highway in Idlib - Russian Military Sputnik 15 Apr 2020 -- Russia and Turkey held the fourth joint patrol of the M4 highway in the Syrian province of Idlib, the Russian military said Wednesday.
- Turkey Lifts Social Security Requirements for Getting Free COVID-19 Treatment - Reports Sputnik 14 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish authorities have adopted a new regulation enabling all citizens, including those who are not registered with the social security system, to be treated for the coronavirus disease for free, the Daily Sabah newspaper reported on Tuesday.
- Turkey Ready to Buy US Defence System, But Stance on Russian S-400 Unchanged - Cavusoglu Sputnik 14 Apr 2020 -- Turkey is ready to purchase the Patriot air defence system from the United States under certain conditions, but Ankara's position on purchasing and keeping Russian S-400 air defence systems has not changed, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Tuesday.
- Turkey dispatches another military convoy to Syria's Idlib: Group Press TV 14 Apr 2020 -- A monitoring group says Turkey has dispatched a new military convoy to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, despite a recent ceasefire deal that Ankara has signed with Moscow to halt the escalation of violence there.
- Greece Ready to Protect Border if Turkey Lets Migrants With COVID-19 Reach Islands Sputnik 13 Apr 2020 -- Athens is ready to protect its sovereignty and borders if Turkey decides to send migrants infected with the virus to Greece's islands, government spokesman Stelios Petsas said on Monday.
- Turkish Interior Minister Promises to Fix Mistakes After Resignation Rejected Sputnik 13 Apr 2020 -- Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Monday that he was ready to continue serving his country and fix the past mistakes he made when imposing a curfew amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Turkish court indicts 20 Saudis for murdering Khashoggi Press TV 13 Apr 2020 -- A Turkish court has accepted an indictment brought against 20 Saudis, including two former associates of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, for the brutal murder of prominent dissident and journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul in 2018.
- Turkish Interior Minister Resigns After Decision to Introduce Curfew Amid COVID-19 Outbreak Sputnik 12 Apr 2020 -- Turkish authorities imposed a snap 48-hour curfew across major cities on Saturday, providing little warning to citizens, leading to crowds of people flooding the streets Friday night to stock up on food and emergency supplies.
- Greece Fears Turkey Plans to Send Streams of Migrants Infected with Coronavirus to Europe VOA 12 Apr 2020 -- Greek forces are on heightened alert as reports have surfaced that Turkey is preparing to push through a fresh wave of migrants to Europe. Officials in Athens say, they fear that refugees infected with the coronavirus may be among the new wave of asylum seekers.
- Taiwan, Turkey institutes discuss joint efforts to combat COVID-19 CNA 11 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's Academia Sinica said Saturday that it has been in discussions with researchers from Turkey on possible collaborative efforts to fight the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
- Turkey dispatches some 300 allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya: SOHR Press TV 11 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has reportedly sent new batches of allied Takfiri militants from Syria to Libya, following a bill passed by the parliament earlier this year that allows the Ankara government to deploy forces to the North African country to intervene in the civil war.
- Turkey sends another convoy of military vehicles into Syria's Idlib Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- A Britain-based war monitor says Turkey has dispatched another military convoy to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, as Ankara beefs up its military presence in the embattled region following a ceasefire reached earlier this month with Moscow to halt an escalation of violence there.
- Coronavirus response: Turkey dispatches medical supplies to Allies and partners in the Balkans NATO 09 Apr 2020 -- An A-400M cargo plane of the Turkish Air Force carrying medical supplies donated by Turkey was dispatched to a number of Allies and partners in the Balkans region on Wednesday (8 April 2020).
- Libya rebels claim to have downed two Turkish drones Press TV 09 Apr 2020 -- Rebel militia under the command of Libya's renegade general Khalifa Haftar claim to have shot down two Turkish drones in the skies over the North African country.
- Five Civilians Killed in Terrorist Attack in Southeastern Turkey - Authorities Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- Five civilians have been killed in an attack carried out by the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), which is designated as a terrorist organisation, in the southeastern Turkish province of Diyarbakir, provincial authorities said on Wednesday.
- Turkish forces, allied militants shell villages in Syria's Hasakah: Report Press TV 07 Apr 2020 -- Turkish army forces and militants allied to Ankara have attacked several villages in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, a report says.
- Turkish Lockdown Calls Grow as Epidemic Continues VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- With Istanbul the epicenter of Turkey's COVID-19 epidemic, the city is becoming the political battleground over how to defeat the virus.
- Turkish Defence Ministry to Minimise Troop Movements in Syria Amid COVID-19 Pandemic Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The Turkish Defen?e Ministry has ordered to minimise the movement of its military in Syria due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Turkey restricts youths, shuts borders to fight coronavirus Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the country has imposed a partial curfew on citizens under the age of 20 as part of measures aimed at curbing the spread of the new coronavius.
- US Envoy to NATO Floats Idlib Aid 'Package' to Turkey in Exchange for Dropping Russia's S-400s Sputnik 04 Apr 2020 -- Ankara is expected to activate the S-400s in the coming weeks, but Washington has not given up on its plans to get the much-feared weapons out of Turkey. Stick has not worked, apparently, so now is the time to offer some carrot.
- Turkey sends another military convoy to de-escalation zone in Syria's Idlib Press TV 03 Apr 2020 -- Turkey has dispatched new reinforcements to Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, as Ankara beefs up its military presence in the embattled region following a ceasefire reached earlier this month with Moscow to halt an escalation of violence there, says the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).
- Turkish forces, militants shell Syria's Hasakah; two civilians killed Press TV 02 Apr 2020 -- At least two people have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when Turkish military forces and allied militants launched barrages of mortar shells at residential neighborhoods in the western sector of Syria's northeastern province of al-Hasakah.
- Coronavirus response: Turkish medical aid arrives in Spain, heads to Italy NATO 01 Apr 2020 -- An A-400M cargo plane of the Turkish Air Force carrying medical supplies donated by Turkey reached Spain on Wednesday (1 April 2020) as part of Allied efforts to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. The aircraft landed at Torrejón Air Base for further distribution of the supplies by the Spanish authorities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list