Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2022 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Turkey offers cooperation with Damascus against Kurdish YPG militants in northern Syria Press TV 31 Jul 2022 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara is prepared to assist the Syrian government in its efforts to flush out members of the US-backed Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) militant group from energy-rich areas in northeastern Syria.
- Durable solutions required for Syrian refugees in Jordan as Za'atari camp turns 10 UNHCR 29 Jul 2022 -- UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, this week marked the 10th anniversary of Za'atari camp in Jordan, the temporary home to 80,000 Syrian refugees.
- Jordan: As vast Za'atari refugee camp turns 10, Syrians face uncertain future UN News 29 Jul 2022 -- Ten years since Jordan's Za'atari camp opened its doors to 80,000 displaced Syrians, poverty now affects an increasing number of residents who face an uncertain future, the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said on Friday.
- Syria hands over 146 IS militants' family members to Tajikistan People's Daily 26 Jul 2022 -- Syria on Monday handed over a total of 146 Tajik nationals, who are family members of Islamic State (IS) militants, to their home country, according to the state news agency SANA.
- Syrian Kurds Repatriate 146 Tajik Women And Children From Camps Holding Relatives Of IS Fighters RFE/RL 26 Jul 2022 -- Syria's semiautonomous Kurdish administration has repatriated 146 Tajik women and children who were held in Syria because a relative fought in the ranks of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group.
- Terrorists Carry Out 14 Attacks on Syria's Idlib De-escalation Zone Sputnik 25 Jul 2022 -- The Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist group* shelled Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone 14 times over the past 24 hours, Capt. 1st Rank Yevgeny Gerasimov, deputy head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Center for Reconciliation of Opposing Sides in Syria, said at a briefing.
- At least one killed: Turkish forces shell villages in Syria's Hasakah Press TV 24 Jul 2022 -- Turkish military forces have shelled a number of villages in Syria's northeastern province of Hasakah, leaving at least one civilian dead and several injured.
- Syria calls on UN Security Council to condemn Israeli attacks on its territories Press TV 23 Jul 2022 -- Syria has called on the UN Security Council to condemn Israel's attacks on its territories following the regime's recent strike that killed three Syrian soldiers and injured seven others near the capital Damascus.
- Damascus accuses U.S. of obstructing security, stability in Syria People's Daily 23 Jul 2022 -- The presence of the U.S. forces in northeastern Syria and its plundering of the Syrian oil aim to obstruct the political solution and the return of stability and security to Syria, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday.
- Syrian Air Defenses Engaging Missile Strikes Over Damascus - State Media Sputnik 21 Jul 2022 -- Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported Friday morning that air defenses had activated in the capital city of Damascus in response to inbound missile strikes.
- 'America Has to Leave': Erdogan Calls on US to Stop Training Kurdish Militias, Leave Eastern Syria Sputnik 21 Jul 2022 -- Earlier this year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan used his veto power over the accession of Sweden and Finland to NATO to dragoon the two nations into ending their support for Kurdish groups in Turkey and Syria, which his government considers terrorist organizations.
- Syria cuts diplomatic ties with Ukraine People's Daily 20 Jul 2022 -- Syria on Wednesday severed diplomatic ties with Ukraine in response to a similar move by Kiev last month.
- Syria cuts diplomatic relations with Ukraine Press TV 20 Jul 2022 -- Syria has severed diplomatic ties with Ukraine in response to Kiev's cutting of ties with Damascus, after the latter established ties with two self-proclaimed republics in in eastern Ukraine.
- Syrian conflict has no military solution: Iran, Russia, Turkey IRNA 20 Jul 2022 -- Presidents of Iran, Russia and Turkey said in a joint statement on Tuesday that there could be no military solution to the Syrian conflict.
- Iran voices concern about potential Turkish invasion of Syria as Erdogan renews case for operation Press TV 20 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian expresses concern regarding a fresh potential Turkish invasion of northern Syria, which Ankara might undertake under the pretext of fighting "terrorists."
- Syria's continued failure to comply with its obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention UK FCDO 20 Jul 2022 -- Statement by Fergus Eckersley, UK Political Coordinator at the UN, at the UN Security Council briefing on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Meeting of the guarantor states of the Astana process to facilitate the Syrian settlement President of Russia 19 Jul 2022 -- Tehran is hosting a trilateral meeting between President of Russia Vladimir Putin, President of Iran Ebrahim Raisi and President of Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Vladimir Putin answered media questions President of Russia 19 Jul 2022 -- In conclusion of his working visit to Iran, Vladimir Putin answered questions from the media.
- Iran, Russia, Turkey hold 7th summit of Astana peace process Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- Iran, Russia, and Turkey have held a trilateral summit on the Syria peace process, condemning foreign meddling and emphasizing Syrians' right to determine their country's fate.
- Military attack on northern Syria harmful to Turkey, region: Iran's Supreme Leader ISNA 19 Jul 2022 -- The President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his entourage met with the Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in Tehran on Tuesday.
- Any military action in northern Syria to harm entire region, benefit terrorists: Leader tells Turkey Press TV 19 Jul 2022 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says any military action in northern Syria will definitely harm Turkey, Syria and the entire region and will instead benefit terrorists.
- Iran foreign minister: Tripartite summit in Tehran meant to help restore peace, stability to Syria Press TV 18 Jul 2022 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian says the goal of a tripartite summit, which will be held in the Iranian capital on Tuesday, is to help restore peace and stability to the war-torn Syria.
- Erdogan, Putin to meet in Iran over Turkish military plan in Syria, grain exports from Ukraine People's Daily 17 Jul 2022 -- TÃ¼rkiye's plans for another military operation in northern Syria and a possible grain corridor from Ukrainian ports across the Black Sea are high on the agenda of an upcoming meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in Iran, experts said.
- DOD to Fund Better Detention Facilities in Syria, But Best Solution is Detainee Repatriation DoD News 14 Jul 2022 -- The U.S. and partner nations continue with the "Defeat ISIS" mission in Syria, while the more than 10,000 ISIS fighters who have been detained within makeshift detention facilities there and the approximately 60,000 displaced persons at the al-Hol and al-Roj camps remain a challenge. The Defense Department has plans to address that challenge.
- U.S. drone strike kills IS leader in Syria People's Daily 13 Jul 2022 -- The United States conducted a drone strike Tuesday that killed the Islamic State's (IS) leader in Syria, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement.
- Syria: Statement by High Representative Josep Borrell and Commissioner for Crisis Management Janez LenarÄiÄ on the renewal of cross border humanitarian deliveries European External Action Service (EEAS) 13 Jul 2022 -- On 12 July the United Nations Security Council extended for six months, until 10 January 2023, the authorisation for the UN to use the crossing point of Bab al-Hawa from Turkey to Syria for humanitarian deliveries, with a further extension of an additional six months requiring a separate resolution.
- US Opposes Turkey's Potential Military Operation in Northern Syria - Pentagon Sputnik 13 Jul 2022 -- The United States is opposed to a possible military operation by Turkey in northern Syria, US Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for the Middle East Dana Stroul said.
- US Officials Speak Out Against Turkish Plans for Northern Syria VOA 13 Jul 2022 -- Senior U.S. officials are going public with their concerns that Turkey will soon launch renewed military operations in northern Syria, warning such a move will endanger U.S. forces in the region and have disastrous consequences in the fight against Islamic State.
- Statement by President Biden on Successful Counterterrorism Operation The White House 12 Jul 2022
- 'Top Five' IS Leader in Syria Killed in US Drone Strike VOA 12 Jul 2022 -- The United States is claiming another victory over Islamic State, saying it tracked, targeted and killed one of the terror group's "top five" leaders during a drone strike in northwestern Syria.
- Strike conducted in Syria CENTCOM 12 Jul 2022 -- U.S. Central Command Forces conducted a UAS strike outside Jindayris, northwest Syria targeting two senior ISIS officials, July 12, 2022. Maher al-Agal, one of the top five ISIS leaders and the leader of ISIS in Syria, was killed in the strike. A senior ISIS official closely associated with Maher was seriously injured during the strike. Extensive planning went into this operation to ensure its successful execution. An initial review indicates there were no civilian casualties.
- UN extends controversial 'aid' deliveries to flashpoint Syria province despite Damascus' objection Press TV 12 Jul 2022 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has voted in favor of extending deliveries of "aid" consignments to a terrorist-held northwestern Syrian province despite Damascus' objection.
- UN Aid Operation to NW Syria Gets 6-Month Extension VOA 12 Jul 2022 -- A U.N. aid operation from Turkey into opposition-held areas of northwest Syria may now resume for six months â with the possibility of six additional months â after its authorization expired Sunday due to disagreements within the U.N. Security Council.
- Minister for Asia and the Middle East statement on cross-border aid into Syria UK FCDO 12 Jul 2022 -- Minister for Asia and the Middle East, Amanda Milling, statement on the United Nations Security Council adopting Resolution 2642.
- With today's vote, innocent Syrians can breathe no sigh of relief: UK at Security Council UK FCDO 12 Jul 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward after the adoption of a resolution on the mandate for cross-border aid into Syria.
- Syria: Security Council extends cross-border aid delivery for six months UN News 12 Jul 2022 -- The UN Security Council has adopted a resolution to extend lifesaving aid deliveries into northwest Syria from TÃ¼rkiye for a further six months following a vote on Tuesday.
- Russia Vetoes Extension Of UN Aid Route For Syria RFE/RL 09 Jul 2022 -- Russia vetoed an extension to a vitally needed United Nations humanitarian aid program for Syria, as aid groups and diplomats warned of potential catastrophe.
- UN Aid to Millions of Syrians in Jeopardy VOA 08 Jul 2022 -- Humanitarian assistance for more than 4 million Syrians living in opposition-held areas appeared in jeopardy Friday, after Russia vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution that would have extended the mission for another year.
- Russia vetoes Western resolution on Syria aid for bypassing Damascus Press TV 08 Jul 2022 -- Russia has vetoed a West-backed draft resolution that called for an extension of aid deliveries from the United Nations to Syria through Turkey without the consent of Damascus.
- Russia Vetoes UN Resolution to Extend Cross-Border Mechanism in Syria Sputnik 08 Jul 2022 -- Russia has vetoed the UN Security Council resolution drafted by Norway and Ireland to extend the cross-border mechanism for delivering aid to Syria, Russian Deputy Permanent Representative to the United Nations Dmitry Polyanskiy said on Friday.
- Russia's deeply irresponsible veto will have a tragic impact on 4.1 million Syrians UK FCDO 08 Jul 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward after Russia vetoes on Syria humanitarian resolution
- UN Human Rights Council 50: UK statement on Syria resolution UK FCDO 08 Jul 2022 -- The UK's Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva, Ambassador Simon Manley, introduced a resolution on the human rights situation in Syria.
- Syrian Kurds in Contact With US About Turkey's Planned Military Operation, SDC Says Sputnik 08 Jul 2022 -- The Syrian Democratic Council (SDC), the political wing of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, is in touch with the US government about Turkey's planned military operation in northern Syria and have been reassured that Washington stands opposed to it, SDC Representative in the United States, Bassam Saker, told Sputnik.
- Syria's Assad inaugurates projects in first visit to Aleppo since liberation from terrorists Press TV 08 Jul 2022 -- Syria's President Bashar al-Assad has for the first time since the liberation of Aleppo from foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists visited the northwestern province to inaugurate economic projects, including a power station and a water pumping plant.
- UN Security Council to Vote on 6-Month Extension of Cross-Border Humanitarian Aid to Syria's Idlib Sputnik 07 Jul 2022 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is due to vote on Thursday on extending humanitarian aid deliveries for six months instead of a year, as per a request by permanent council member Russia.
- Turkish military strikes Syrian villages with missiles, artillery shells Press TV 05 Jul 2022 -- The occupying Turkish military has taken the Western Syrian province of Aleppo's villages under a heavy bombardment campaign.
- Continued Israeli Airstrikes on Syria are 'Categorically Unacceptable', Moscow Warns Sputnik 05 Jul 2022 -- Israeli fighter jets attacked a village near the Mediterranean Sea port city of Tartus on Saturday morning, injuring two civilians and damaging local farms. Israeli media later claimed that the attack targeted "Iranian" assets in the area seeking to bring "game-changing" air defense systems to Syria.
- Syria welcomes Iran's effort to help ease tension with Turkey People's Daily 04 Jul 2022 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad on Saturday evening said his country welcomes any role played by Iran in easing the tension between Syria and Turkey and achieving political progress.
- Russia urges unconditional halt to Israeli strikes on Syria Press TV 04 Jul 2022 -- Russia has demanded an unconditional cessation of Israeli strikes on Syria, saying they are unacceptable.
- Turkey Does Not Consider That Russia Will Meddle With Its Syria Op - Cavusoglu Sputnik 04 Jul 2022 -- Turkey does not believe that Russia will interfere with the operation of the Turkish Armed Forces in northern Syria, but disagreements exist, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.
- Amirabdollahian: Turkey's military operations in Syria will cause regional instability IRNA 02 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said that any kind of military operation by Turkey in Northern Syria will result in instability and insecurity in the region.
- Iran FM: West claims to stabilize Syria unreal IRNA 02 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said on Saturday that failing a serious confrontation against the Zionist regime's destructive measures shows that the western countries' claims of trying to restore security to Syria and stabilize that country are not real.
- FM: Iran, Syria share common stances on regional developments IRNA 03 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian in a meeting with his Syrian counterpart Faisal Mekdad said that the two countries have common stances on the developments of the region.
- Iran FM conveyed ErdoÄan's security concerns to Bashar Assad ISNA 03 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian by referring to his latest meeting with President of Syria Bashar Assad said, "During the visit, I conveyed security concerns, which Turkish President and Foreign Minister shared with me, to the Syrian President".
- Damascus: Israel Carries Out Rocket Strikes Against Syria, Injuring Two Civilians in Tartus Sputnik 02 Jul 2022 -- The reports about the strikes come just a few weeks after Syria accused Israel of conducting missile attacks, saying that they left the runways at Damascus airport out of service.
- Iranian Foreign Minister Travels To Damascus Amid Tensions Between Syria, Turkey RFE/RL 02 Jul 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian has traveled to Damascus in a bid to "prevent a new crisis" amid tensions between Syria and Turkey over Ankara's threats to launch a new offensive against Kurdish militias in northern Syria.
- Syria: Statement by the Spokesperson on the OHCHR report about civilian deaths in the conflict European External Action Service (EEAS) 01 Jul 2022 -- Every single day, for the past 10 years, 83 civilians died in Syria. This means that an estimated 306,887 civilians were killed as a direct result of the conflict in Syria between 2011 and 2021. This appalling fact was confirmed by the report "Civilian Deaths in the Syrian Arab Republic" presented yesterday by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in Geneva.
- Humanitarian Needs Soar in Syria Amid Ongoing War VOA 01 Jul 2022 -- U.N. investigators warn that millions of Syrians face acute hunger as war continues to rage in the country and nearly 15 million depend on humanitarian aid. The latest report by the Independent International Commission of Inquiry in Syria has been submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list