Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2020 - Syria Special Weapons News
- Syria urges UNSC to take firm action against Israeli acts of aggression Press TV 31 Dec 2020 -- In the wake of a new Israeli aerial assault, Syria has called on the United Nations Security Council to assume its responsibility and take "firm and immediate" action to end such acts of aggression by the Tel Aviv regime.
- 25 Syrians killed in attack in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 30 Dec 2020 -- At least 25 people have been killed in a terrorist attack in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Syrian air defenses thwart Israeli aggression on Damascus: SANA Press TV 30 Dec 2020 -- Syria says the country's air defenses have thwarted an Israeli aggression on the capital Damascus amid an upsurge in Israeli attacks on the Arab country.
- UN rights expert urges United States to remove sanctions hindering rebuilding in Syria UN News 29 Dec 2020 -- A UN independent human rights expert, on Tuesday, called on the United States to remove unilateral sanctions against Syria that may hamper efforts to rebuild the war-torn country's destroyed civilian infrastructure.
- Russia expands military reinforcements in Syria's flashpoint north Press TV 28 Dec 2020 -- Russia says it has sent reinforcements to an area in northern Syria where militants supported by the Turkish government and Kurdish fighters patronized by Washington have been engaged in clashes in the vicinity of a strategic highway.
- US-Backed SDF Targets IS Militants in Eastern Syria VOA 27 Dec 2020 -- U.S.-backed forces are carrying out new raids against militants affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) terror group in eastern Syria.
- Turkey's military kills 15 Kurdish YPG militants in northeast Syria Press TV 27 Dec 2020 -- The Turkish military has killed at least 15 Kurdish fighters from the People's Protection Units (YPG) amid reports that the group was planning to carry out an attack in a territory controlled by Ankara-backed occupying forces in northeastern Syria.
- Syria repels Israeli warplanes' missile barrage targeting Hama Press TV 25 Dec 2020 -- Syria's air defenses repel a missile attack launched by Israeli warplanes from the Lebanese airspace against the western Syrian city of Hama's countryside.
- At Least Six Fighters Reported Killed In Israeli Strikes In Syria RFE/RL 25 Dec 2020 -- A British-based group monitoring the Syrian conflict says least six Iran-backed fighters have been killed in an Israeli rocket attack in central Syria.
- Israeli Attacks on Syria Undermine Regional Stability, Damascus Says Sputnik 25 Dec 2020 -- Israel's repetitive attacks against Syria undermine regional stability, violate UN Security Council resolutions and will not be left without an appropriate response, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Netanyahu Says Israel Not to Allow Pro-Iranian Armed Groups to Gain Foothold in Syria Sputnik 24 Dec 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at the graduation ceremony of the Israeli Air Force Flight Academy that the Jewish state would not allow Iran and pro-Iranian armed groups to gain a foothold in Syria.
- U.S. slaps sanctions against Syrian individuals, entities People's Daily 23 Dec 2020 -- The United States on Tuesday announced more than a dozen of sanctions against Syrian individuals and entities to further pressure the Syrian government.
- Syria's Afrin Yazidis Are Fearful Following Recent Attacks VOA 23 Dec 2020 -- Yazidi community members in northwest Syria say they are in a state of fear after Turkey-backed Islamist rebels in control of the area launched a weeklong blockade and arrest campaign against the religious minority in Afrin.
- Trump administration imposes more sanctions on Syria Press TV 22 Dec 2020 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump has imposed a new round of sanctions to ramp up pressure on the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad before US president-elect Joe Biden takes office in January.
- Syria Sanctions Designations on the Anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 2254 US Dept. of State 22 Dec 2020 -- Five years ago last Friday, the United Nations Security Council unanimously adopted Resolution 2254, firmly laying out the only path for an enduring resolution to the Syrian conflict. The United States and the vast majority of the international community remain committed to this dignified plan for ending the suffering of the Syrian people.
- Treasury Targets Syrian Regime Officials and the Central Bank of Syria US Treasury 22 Dec 2020 -- Today, in support of the U.S. government's efforts to promote accountability and reach a political resolution to the Syrian conflict, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned a high-ranking official in the Syrian government; her husband, a member of the Syrian People's Assembly; and their business entities. Further, OFAC added the Central Bank of Syria to the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List (SDN List), underscoring its status as a blocked person, and additionally identified the property of other previous blocked persons.
- 73 US trucks loaded with military, logistic equipment in Syria's Hasakah: SANA Press TV 20 Dec 2020 -- Another convoy consisting of 73 US Army vehicles loaded with weapons, military equipment and logistic reinforcement has arrived in Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah from Iraq, Syria's official news agency reports.
- US Military Equipment Transport Convoy Enters Northeastern Syria Via Iraq, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Dec 2020 -- An US military convoy with logistics and equipment has entered northeastern Syria through a crossing on border with Iraq, the Syrian state-run SANA news agency reported on Sunday, citing sources.
- Germany Repatriates Three IS Women, 12 Children From Syria VOA 20 Dec 2020 -- The German government has brought home three women and 12 children from refugee camps that hold families of Islamic State (IS) fighters in northeastern Syria.
- Turkish military forces pull out from seven military posts in northwest Syria: Source Press TV 18 Dec 2020 -- The Turkish military has evacuated from seven military observation posts in the northwestern part of Syria, withdrawing troops from territory liberated by Syrian government forces to areas held by allied Takfiri militants.
- Mortar shells hit US-occupied military base in eastern Syria, no casualties: Report Press TV 18 Dec 2020 -- The so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says several mortar shells have hit a military base occupied by US forces in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's opening remarks and answers to media questions at a joint news conference following talks with Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates of the Syrian Arab Republic Faisal Mekdad, Moscow, December 17, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 17 Dec 2020
- Lavrov: West's sanctions on Syria contravene UN Security Council resolutions Press TV 17 Dec 2020 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says sanctions imposed by the West on Syria contravene UN Security Council resolutions, adding certain countries continue to hinder finding a solution to the years-long crisis in the Arab country.
- Russia has sent 100,000 tonnes of wheat to Syria since start of 2020: Lavrov Press TV 17 Dec 2020 -- Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says Russia has sent 100,000 tonnes of wheat in humanitarian aid to Syria since the beginning of this year and plans to ship more wheat to the war-stricken country.
- Damascus: Security Council tool in hands of Western states to promote their political agendas Press TV 17 Dec 2020 -- Syria's deputy foreign minister has strongly criticized certain Western countries for turning the UN Security Council into a tool to serve their political agendas, saying those countries have been seeking to foment the crisis in his country.
- Iran urges withdrawal of all illegal foreign forces from Syria Press TV 17 Dec 2020 -- Iran's UN ambassador says all foreign forces, including the American troops, who are illegally present on Syrian soil, must leave the war-torn state, stressing that Tehran will keep supporting Damascus in its fight against terrorism and occupation.
- Encouraging parties to engage with the UN-led political process to achieve a peaceful end to conflict in Syria UK FCDO 16 Dec 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- Syria: Millions displaced, impoverished and traumatized, Security Council hears UN News 16 Dec 2020 -- As the end of another year of war looms, "families in Syria remain without respite after almost a decade of conflict", the UNâ€ŻEmergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Syria condemns Turkey's 'systematic policy' of cutting off drinking water in Hasakah Press TV 15 Dec 2020 -- Syria has condemned in the strongest terms the Turkish military forces' "systematic policy" of depriving more than one million people in the country's northeastern province of Hasakah of drinking water by cutting off the supply to the population.
- Syrian lawmakers say Golan Heights inseparable part of Syria Press TV 14 Dec 2020 -- Syrian lawmakers have unanimously affirmed that the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights are an "inseparable" part of the country and will remain so, vowing that the region will return to motherland sooner or later.
- Syrian Kurdish Farmers Accuse Turkey-Backed Militias of Seizing, Taxing Olive Crops VOA 14 Dec 2020 -- In late October, Farhan and his two sons finished packing up their olive harvest to transport it to the city center of Afrin in northwestern Syria. But before doing so, they pondered the possibilities waiting for them.
- Turkish-backed militants attack areas in northeastern Syria Press TV 13 Dec 2020 -- Turkish-backed Takfiri militants have launched a series of artillery attacks in the northwestern Syrian city of Raqqah.
- Government Troops Target Rebels, Jihadists in Syria's Idlib VOA 13 Dec 2020 -- Syria's government forces and allied militias have continued their assault on targets belonging to rebels and jihadist factions in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Chinese envoy calls for prudent approach to issue of Syria's chemical weapons People's Daily 12 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese envoy on Friday called for a prudent approach to the issue of Syria's chemical weapons.
- OPCW has become a tool in the hands of US, allies: Syria's deputy FM Press TV 12 Dec 2020 -- Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Bashar al-Jaafari says the Organization of Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is being manipulated by the United States and its allies, emphasizing that his country's chemical dossier must be closed as Damascus has fully complied with its relevant obligations.
- Supporting the OPCW in its work to investigate chemical weapons use UK FCDO 11 Dec 2020 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on the Middle East (Syria)
- Centcom Commander: Middle East Refugee Camps Rife for Extreme Ideology DoD News 11 Dec 2020 -- The consequences of not tackling the problem of Middle Eastern internally displaced persons and refugees is going to produce enormous long-term extremism for the region and the world, the commander of U.S. Central Command said.
- IDF Admits Conducting Operations in Syria, Claims to Have Slowed Iran's Alleged 'Entrenchment' There Sputnik 11 Dec 2020 -- Syria has suffered from hundreds of airstrikes in recent years, but in most cases no one has claimed responsibility for them. Local media blame Israel for the attacks, but Tel Aviv has officially acknowledged its involvement only in a few of the strikes, while leaving the rest without comment.
- Given gaps, inconsistencies, Syria's declarations on chemical weapons programme not considered 'accurate and complete' UN News 11 Dec 2020 -- Outstanding issues related to Syria's initial declaration of its chemical weapons stockpile and programme cannot be considered "accurate and complete", the head of the world body monitoring States' implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention told the Security Council on Friday.
- US Backed Troops in Syria With Armor to 'Show Teeth' to Russians, CENTCOM Chief Says Sputnik 10 Dec 2020 -- The US military augmented its contingent in Syria with a platoon of armored fighting vehicles to show strength and intimidate Russian troops, Central Command (CENTCOM) chief Frank McKenzie said on Thursday.
- Turkish forces start withdrawing from 3 bases in N Syria People's Daily 10 Dec 2020 -- The Turkish forces on Wednesday started withdrawing from three military bases in the countryside of Idlib and Aleppo provinces in northern Syria, a war monitor reported.
- Tajikistan Prepares To Repatriate IS Families From Camps In Syria RFE/RL 10 Dec 2020 -- Tajikistan is preparing to bring home hundreds of its citizens from refugee camps in Kurdish-controlled parts of Syria -- mostly Tajik wives and children of slain or imprisoned Islamic State (IS) fighters.
- Zarif outlines details of talks with Syrian counterpart IRNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a Twitter message outlined details of negotiations with his Syrian counterpart Faisal Mekdad here in Tehran.
- Iran determined to help Syria in reconstruction era IRNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami stressed on Tuesday that Iran is determined to cooperate in rebuilding Syria.
- Iran stands by Syrian people, gov't until final victory: President Rouhani ISNA 08 Dec 2020 -- Iran's President described the relations between Iran and Syria as brotherly and strategic and said, "The Islamic Republic of Iran has always been by the side of the Syrian government and people and will be on this path until the final victory."
- Iran resolute on reconstruction of war-ravaged Syria: Defense minister Press TV 08 Dec 2020 -- The Islamic Republic is determined to continue cooperation with Syria on the reconstruction of the war-ravaged country, the Iranian defense minister says.
- Iran's Rohani Vows To Continue Supporting 'Strategic Ally' Syria RFE/RL 08 Dec 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani says his country will continue to support the Syrian government as a "strategic ally" until its "final victory" in the country's civil war.
- Israel evicts Syrians in occupied Golan Heights to establish wind turbines Press TV 07 Dec 2020 -- Israeli forces have closed a number of the main entrances to the villages in the occupied Golan Heights of Syria, barring the locals from reaching their farms, where the Tel Aviv regime wants to set up wind turbines.
- US forces send 43 military, logistic vehicles to Syria's oil-rich Hasakah: SANA Press TV 06 Dec 2020 -- Another US convoy consisting of 43 vehicles laden with weapons, military equipment, and logistic reinforcement has arrived in Syria's oil-rich northeastern province of Hasakah from Iraq.
- Turkish-Backed Rebels Intensify Attacks on Syrian Town VOA 06 Dec 2020 -- A town in northern Syria has increasingly been under attack from rebel groups backed by Turkey amid fears of a new Turkish offensive into the region.
- US encouraging separatism in Syria, hindering restoration of its unity: Russia FM Press TV 05 Dec 2020 -- Russia has censured the illegal presence of US troops in Syria and said the deployment of the American forces there is meant to hinder the restoration of unity in the Arab country.
- Syrian Constitutional Talks Marked by Differences, Tensions VOA 04 Dec 2020 -- A week of U.N.-sponsored Syrian peace talks have been marked by strong differences between government and opposition delegates on what form a new constitution for the battered country should take.
- Syria Constitution Talks Not Reaching Goal, Observers Say VOA 01 Dec 2020 -- Syrian observers say United Nations-sponsored talks in Geneva between the Assad government and the opposition to devise a new constitution will not accomplish that task nor will they help the nearly decade-long war ravaging the country turn a page. They add that Syrian elections slated for next year also are not considered pivotal or having any real bearing on changing the shattered country's future.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list