Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2019 - Syria Special Weapons News
- UN Experts: Islamic State Down But Not Out RFE/RL 31 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic State (IS) extremist group may be based mostly in Iraq, but the covert network is poised for an eventual resurgence, a group of UN experts told the international body's Security Council this week.
- Turkish Security Council Mulls Syrian Operation, Despite Washington's Warnings VOA 30 Jul 2019 -- Turkey's National Security Council met Tuesday to decide whether to launch a military offensive into Syria against the YPG Kurdish militia.
- Turkey wants US to end support for Kurdish militants in Syria: Minister Press TV 30 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has called on the United States to end its support for the Kurdish militants, a main source of tension between the two NATO allies.
- Turkey, US Defence Ministers Discuss Syria Safe Zone - Ankara Sputnik 30 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar and US Defence Secretary Mark Esper held phone talks on Monday and discussed the establishment of the safe zone in northern Syria, the Turkish Defence ministry said in a statement.
- Saving future generations from the scourge of war in Syria UK FCO 30 Jul 2019 -- Statement by Ambassador Karen Pierce, UK Permanent Representative to the UN, at the Security Council briefing on Syria
- 'Do something'; UN relief chief urges Security Council action to stop the Syrian carnage unfolding 'in front of your eyes' UN News 30 Jul 2019 -- Bombing and shelling in Syria for more than 90 days by the Government and Russia have led to "carnage in the so-called de-escalation zone" of Idlib, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator told the Security Council on Tuesday, in his seventh update since the "current onslaught" began.
- Syria's Idlib at Risk of Humanitarian Disaster VOA 30 Jul 2019 -- The U.N. humanitarian chief warned Tuesday the Syrian province of Idlib is at risk of becoming "the worst humanitarian disaster the world has seen so far this century," as Russian-backed Syrian government forces continue a campaign against one of the last rebel hold outs.
- The Russian Armed Forces General Staff accused American PMCs of plundering Syrian oil facilities TASS 29 Jul 2019 -- According to the Russian military, such companies operate under the guise of aviation of the international coalition led by the United States.
- US forces take over illegal oil trade in Syria from Daesh terrorists: Top Russian general Press TV 29 Jul 2019 -- A high-ranking Russian military official says American military forces have taken over illegal oil trade in war-torn Syria from the extremists.
- Civilians killed in US-led airstrikes on village in Syria's Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 29 Jul 2019 -- An unspecified number of civilians have lost their lives in airstrikes conducted by the US-led military coalition on a village in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Turkey Accused of Forcible Deportation of Syrian Refugees VOA 29 Jul 2019 -- An international human rights group is accusing Turkey of forcibly deporting Syrians to their war-torn country. Ankara denies the accusation but is defending its ongoing crackdown on unregistered refugees.
- UN Warns Islamic State Leader Plotting Comeback from Iraq VOA 29 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic State terror group's self-declared caliphate may be dead, but its leaders are hanging on in Syria and Iraq, dreaming of the day when they can again direct attacks on targets around the world.
- Separate bomb attacks kill five, injure over dozen in Syria's Aleppo, Dara'a provinces Press TV 28 Jul 2019 -- At least five people, mostly army soldiers, have been killed in bomb attacks that hit the Syrian provinces of Aleppo and Dara'a.
- ISIS Caliphate Is Gone, But Threat Remains, Dunford Says CENTCOM 27 Jul 2019 -- There can be no doubt that the strategy to drive ISIS from its so-called caliphate in Syria and Iraq has succeeded, but that doesn't mean the struggle against the ideology is over, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in Baghdad.
- Several Syrian soldiers injured as govt. forces advance in Dara'a Press TV 27 Jul 2019 -- Several Syrian army soldiers have sustained injuries when a bomb attack struck a unit of government forces during a counter-terrorism operation in the country's southwestern province of Dara'a.
- Turkey cracks down on Syrian refugees, deports them to terrorist-controlled Idlib Press TV 27 Jul 2019 -- Turkey has launched a crackdown on Syrian refugees in the country, reportedly forcing them to sign "voluntary return" forms and deporting them the back to Syria.
- Muted International Response to Rising Civilian Deaths in Idlib Roils UN Rights Chief VOA 27 Jul 2019 -- As civilian casualties mount in Syria's north-western province of Idlib, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights says she is alarmed that the continued carnage in this war-torn country is no longer on the international radar.
- Damascus says Turkey-US deal on Syria buffer zone to violate its sovereignty Press TV 26 Jul 2019 -- Damascus has categorically rejected any deal between Turkey and the US on a buffer zone in northern Syria, describing it as a violation of its sovereignty.
- UN human rights chief fears world has grown numb to Syrian carnage UN News 26 Jul 2019 -- The relentless campaign of airstrikes in Syria has been met with a "collective shrug," the top United Nations human rights official said on Friday, denouncing the world's apparent indifference to the mounting civilian casualties as a "failure of leadership" by the world's most powerful countries.
- Syrian Refugees in Border Camp Face Humanitarian Crisis VOA 25 Jul 2019 -- As conditions deteriorate inside the Rukban Syrian refugee camp, close to the border with Jordan, thousands of people appear to be fleeing to government-controlled areas to avoid brutal desert heat and starvation.
- Turkey: New US proposals for safe zone in northern Syria fall short Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Ankara is not satisfied with new US proposals for a safe zone in northern Syria, warning that Turkey is running out of patience with Washington over the issue.
- Israeli airstrike kills, injures several civilians in southwestern Syria: Report Press TV 24 Jul 2019 -- Several civilians have lost their lives and sustained injuries when Israeli fighter jets launched an airstrike against a strategic area in Syria's southwestern province of Dara'a, north of the border with Jordan.
- Syrian State Media Report Israeli Attack on Tel Haraa in Southern Syria Sputnik 24 Jul 2019 -- According to the Syrian Arab News Agency, the damage done by the suspected Israeli attack was limited to material.
- Turkey Seeks to Establish YPG-Free Safe Zone in Syria in Coordination With US - Ministry Sputnik 23 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar and US Syria Envoy James Jeffrey held talks in Ankara to discuss the establishment of a safe zone in Syria east to the Euphrates river that would be free from PKK and YPG, whom Ankara views as a single organization and considers to be terrorists, the Turkish Defence Ministry said.
- Moscow Denies Russian Warplanes Killed 23 Civilians In Syria Air Strikes RFE/RL 22 Jul 2019 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is denying reports that Russian warplanes carried out air strikes that hit a market in the rebel-held Syrian city of Maarat al-Numan, killing at least 23 civilians and wounded dozens more.
- Turkey threatens to launch offensive in Syria if no safe zone established Press TV 22 Jul 2019 -- Turkey has threatened to launch an offensive in Syria if a US-planned safe zone is not established in the northern parts of the Arab country.
- Militant rocket attack kills seven civilians in Syria's Hama Press TV 22 Jul 2019 -- At least seven civilians, including two children, have lost their lives in a rocket attack by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants against a residential district in Syria's west-central province of Hama.
- Russia dismisses claims of striking Syrian city in Idlib province Press TV 22 Jul 2019 -- Russia has strongly denied reports that its warplanes conducted deadly airstrikes that killed around two dozen people in a militant-held city in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- Syrian air defenses thwart 'hostile' fire near Hama Press TV 22 Jul 2019 -- Syrian air defenses have thwarted what the state TV called "hostile" fires in the northwestern city of Masyaf in the Arab country's Hama governorate.
- IS Decentralizing Into 'Provinces' in Bid to Return VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- A series of Islamic State (IS) announcements of new provinces it controls in recent weeks has renewed debate over the group's possible resurgence after its self-proclaimed caliphate fell, with some analysts warning an increasingly decentralized IS could recover and spread its tentacles to other parts of the world.
- Rocket attack by Syria militants kills 2 in Damascus Press TV 21 Jul 2019 -- At least two people, including a child, have lost their lives and three others have been wounded in a rocket attack by Takfiri militants that targeted a civilian vehicle in the Syrian capital, Damascus.
- Syrian Troops Repel Terrorist Attack on Army Positions in Idlib Province - Reports Sputnik 21 Jul 2019 -- The Syrian army repelled an attack by the Nusra Front terrorist group on its positions in the Qasabiyeh village in Idlib's southern countryside, recently retaken by the government forces, the SANA news agency has reported.
- UN: Humanitarian Situation in Syria Continues to Deteriorate VOA 21 Jul 2019 -- The United Nations says conditions in Syria continue to deteriorate and humanitarian needs for millions of civilians remain acute across the war-torn country.
- Russia denies having ground troops fighting for liberation of Syria's Idlib Press TV 18 Jul 2019 -- Russia has strongly dismissed allegations by militant groups that Russian special forces or ground troops are fighting for the liberation of Idlib province in northwest Syria.
- Moscow Refutes Claims That Russian Ground Troops Present in Syria's Idlib Sputnik 18 Jul 2019 -- The Russian Defence Ministry refuted on Thursday a recent report by Reuters information agency that claimed that Russia had recently sent its ground troops and special forces to the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib for fighting alongside the Syrian Army against the opposition.
- Carnage must stop in northwest Syria demands Lowcock, as attacks intensify UN News 18 Jul 2019 -- After 80 days of intensifying attacks, many on health facilities, "the carnage must stop" in northwest Syria, said the UN relief chief on Thursday, noting that more than 70 civilians had been killed this month alone across the last rebel-held enclave of the country.
- US Brings Back Suspected American IS Fighter From Syria to Face Charges VOA 18 Jul 2019 -- An American suspected of fighting with the Islamic State terror group in Syria is back in the United States, where he is expected to be charged with and tried for terrorism-related crimes.
- Syria FM calls for expansion of strategic ties with Iran Press TV 15 Jul 2019 -- Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem has called for expansion of strategic ties with Iran as well as preserving high-level coordination and consultation between the two countries.
- Syria Likely to Turn to Russia for Fuel VOA 15 Jul 2019 -- The impounding last week off the coast of Gibraltar by British marines of an Iranian tanker loaded with oil destined for war-wracked Syria may force Damascus to turn to Russia to help alleviate its acute fuel shortages, say analysts and diplomats.
- Hezbollah Leader: We Have Reduced Our Military Presence in Syria VOA 14 Jul 2019 -- The leader of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah has said that the number of Hezbollah fighters in Syria has decreased.
- Terrorists blow up gas pipeline in central Syria in sabotage attack: State news agency Press TV 14 Jul 2019 -- Foreign-sponsored Takfiri terrorists have blown up a gas pipeline running in the eastern countryside of Syria's central province of Homs, putting it out of service.
- Assad, Russian diplomats discuss Syria constitutional committee Press TV 13 Jul 2019 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has discussed with two Russian diplomats the formation of a constitutional committee as the war against the foreign-backed terrorists is winding down in the Arab country.
- UN's Guterres condemns ongoing airstrikes on Syria's hospitals, medical workers UN News 12 Jul 2019 -- Reports that airstrikes have hit several health facilities in north-west Syria have been strongly condemned by the UN Secretary-General.
- Russian Air Defences at Hmeymim Airbase Destroy 3 UAVs Launched by Idlib Militants Sputnik 12 Jul 2019 -- Russian air defences at the Hmeymim airbase in Syria shot down three aerial drones launched by militants operating in the Idlib de-escalation zone, Maj. Gen. Alexey Bakin, head of the Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation, said Friday.
- 13 killed, over 30 injured in car bomb explosion in Syria's Afrin Press TV 11 Jul 2019 -- More than a dozen people, including eight civilians, have lost their lives and several others sustained injuries when a car rigged with explosives went off in Syria's northwestern province of Aleppo.
- UN envoy, Syria report progress in talks on post-war constitution Press TV 10 Jul 2019 -- The United Nations and the Syrian Foreign Ministry report progress in talks on a constitutional committee that could pave the way for a political solution to the country's eight-year conflict.
- US-led coalition should address harm to civilians during Syria operations: Human Rights Watch Press TV 09 Jul 2019 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called upon the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group should address the harm to civilians during military operations in war-torn Syria.
- Berlin rejects Washington's call for deploying ground forces to Syria Press TV 08 Jul 2019 -- Germany has rejected a call by the United States to deploy ground troops in Syria, a stance that will most likely anger US President Donald Trump who wants the European country to commit to a bigger military role in the Middle East.
- Germany Rejects US Call to Deploy Ground Troops in Syria Sputnik 08 Jul 2019 -- US special envoy for Syria Engagement James Jeffrey earlier relayed a formal request to Berlin calling on the country to deploy troops to the Arab Republic to "partially replace" US forces and help the remainder fight Daesh*.
- Militants Shell Towns in 3 Syrian Provinces, Violate Ceasefire – Russian MoD Sputnik 08 Jul 2019 -- Militants shelled four towns in northern and western Syria within the past 24-hour period, the Russian Defence Ministry said Sunday. The ministry reiterated its call for illegal armed groups in the northwestern Idlib de-escalation zone to cease fire and take steps toward a peaceful settlement in areas under their control.
- Syria: At least seven children killed in yet another airstrike UN News 07 Jul 2019 -- According to the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), at least seven children were killed in an airstrike against displaced civilians on Saturday on the village of Mhambel, in the outskirts of Idlib, in northwest Syria. News reports state that over 20 civilians were killed in this attack led by Government forces using missiles and barrel bombs.
- Omani FM visits Syria for talks on regional, international developments Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Oman's Foreign Minister Yusuf bin Alawi bin Abdullah has paid an official to Damascus for talks with Syrian President Bashar Assad on ways of restoring stability and security to the Middle East region, amid growing Arab overtures towards the Damascus government now that the country seems to be on the verge of full victory against foreign-backed terrorists.
- Rights Group Says Russia-Backed Offensive In Northern Syria Has Killed 544 Civilians RFE/RL 07 Jul 2019 -- A British-registered Syrian rights watchdog says that at least 544 civilians have been killed and more than 2,000 injured since a Russia-backed assault on the final rebel stronghold in northwestern Syria began two months ago.
- US Pressures Germany to Send Ground Troops to Syria to Partially Replace American Forces Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- US Special Representative for Syria Engagement James Jeffrey was in Berlin on 5 July seeking to draw pledges of military and financial support from the German government as Washington ramps up its pressure on Berlin with the aim of expanding its mission in Syria.
- ICRC: Families of Foreign Fighters in Syria Should be Repatriated VOA 07 Jul 2019 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross is calling for the repatriation of families of foreign fighters suspected of being allied with Islamic State militants in Syria.
- Iran: Oil tanker seized by UK not bound for Syria Press TV 07 Jul 2019 -- Iran says an oil supertanker seized by Britain in Gibraltar was not carrying oil to Syria, denouncing the seizure as "maritime piracy".
- Iran deplores UK Navy wrongful act to seize supertanker IRNA 07 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Government on Sunday deplored the UK Navy's wrongful act to seize Iranian supertanker on the high seas.
- Iranian Oil-Laden Tanker Seized by UK Marines Off Gibraltar Was Not Bound for Syria - Tehran Sputnik 07 Jul 2019 -- The seizure of a Panamanian-flagged supertanker laden with Iranian oil by Royal Marines off the British territory of Gibraltar has resulted in intense condemnation from Tehran, which called the move "a form of piracy" and accused London of parroting Washington's "hostile policies."
- Militants Breach Ceasefire, Shell Syria's Hama Province – Russian Military Sputnik 06 Jul 2019 -- Militants shelled a town in Syria's western Hama province within the past 24-hour period, the Russian Defence Ministry said on Saturday.
- Tanker seizure by Gibraltar aiming to aggravate situation around Iran, Syria: Moscow IRNA 06 Jul 2019 -- Russia condemns the detention of an oil tanker by Gibraltar and considers it as a deliberate step geared to further worsen the situation around Iran and Syria, the Russian foreign ministry said on Friday.
- Gibraltar Investigating Seized Iranian Tanker; Influential Iranian Calls For Seizing British Ships RFE/RL 05 Jul 2019 -- Gibraltar authorities said they continued to investigate an Iranian tanker that was boarded and seized by British Royal Marines on suspicion of smuggling Iranian oil to Syria, in violation of European Union sanctions.
- UK Seizure of Iranian Tanker is 'Piracy' – Iran Foreign Ministry Sputnik 05 Jul 2019 -- The Islamic republic, following the UK seizure of an Iranian tanker in the Gibraltar Strait, said that it will use all political and legal means to have the ship released, as Tehran affirms the boat was operating in accordance with the ongoing international sanctions regime.
- Gibraltar Seizes Iranian Oil Tanker VOA 04 Jul 2019 -- Police in the British territory of Gibraltar have seized an Iranian oil tanker suspected of carrying crude oil to Syria, violating European Union sanctions.
- UK seizure of Iranian oil tanker amounts to sea piracy: Official IRNA 04 Jul 2019 -- An official with Iran's Foreign Ministry described UK move to seize Iranian oil tanker as sea piracy, saying that Iran will use its political and legal capacities to release the tanker and regain its rights.
- Iran summons UK envoy over illegal seizure of oil tanker IRNA 04 Jul 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the British ambassador to Iran over the illegal seizure of an Iranian oil tanker.
- Iran summons UK ambassador after 'illegal' tanker seizure Press TV 04 Jul 2019 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has summoned Britain's ambassador to the country after British forces seized an Iranian oil tanker in the Strait of Gibraltar.
- UK seizes 'Syria-bound oil tanker' in Gibraltar on suspension of violating EU bans Press TV 04 Jul 2019 -- The British overseas territory Gibraltar says it has seized a supertanker on suspicion of carrying crude oil to Syria in violation of European Union (EU) sanctions against the Arab country.
- Iran Summons British Envoy Over 'Illegal' Seizure Of Oil Tanker In Gibraltar RFE/RL 04 Jul 2019 -- Iran has summoned the British ambassador in Tehran over the "illegal seizure" of an Iranian oil tanker in Gibraltar, the official government news agency IRNA quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Musavi as saying on July 4.
- Iran Summons UK's Ambassador in Tehran Over 'Illegal Seizure' of Iranian Oil Tanker - Reports Sputnik 04 Jul 2019 -- Earlier, British Royal Marines and officials from the British colony of Gibraltar detained a vessel suspected of transporting oil to Syria in violation of EU sanctions.
- Spain Says Syria-Bound Tanker Was Seized Near Gibraltar on US Orders, Checks if Sovereignty Violated Sputnik 04 Jul 2019 -- Earlier, the territory's head stated that Gibraltar police and customs agencies detained a vessel suspected of transporting oil to Syria in violation of EU sanctions.
- 28k Syrian refugees 'hostage' of US-controlled militants Press TV 04 Jul 2019 -- The Russian and Syrian coordination headquarters have raised alarm at the situation in the Rukban "death camp," saying about 28,000 Syrian refugees have been taken "hostage" by US-controlled militants there.
- US-Backed Syrian Forces Pledge to End Child Recruitment VOA 02 Jul 2019 -- A major armed group in Syria has committed to identifying and releasing young boys and girls currently within its ranks, and put in place preventative, protection and disciplinary measures related to child recruitment and use, according to the United Nations.
- Russia: Israel's Syria strikes menace regional stability Press TV 02 Jul 2019 -- Russia takes serious issue with Israeli military aggression against Syria, a day after Israeli strikes claim four lives in the Arab country.
- Turkey slams UN over signing deal with US-backed SDF militants in Syria Press TV 02 Jul 2019 -- Turkey has strongly condemned the United Nations for signing an agreement over the weekend with the US-sponsored and Kurdish-led militants of the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), which Ankara views as terrorists.
- Syria writes to UN over repeated Israeli attacks, calls for 'decisive' action Press TV 02 Jul 2019 -- Syria's Foreign Ministry has urged the United Nations to take the necessary measures to stop Israel's repeated acts of military aggression on the Arab country after four people lost their lives in the latest such airstrikes.
- Civilians Remain Primary Victims of Syria's Conflict VOA 02 Jul 2019 -- The Commission of Inquiry on the human rights situation in Syria reports Syria's civilian population remains the primary victim of more than seven years of conflict. In a report submitted to the U.N. human rights council Tuesday, the Commission accuses everyone involved in Syria's conflict of failure to uphold international humanitarian law and human rights standards.
- Syria will support Iran against all threats, acts of aggression: President Assad Press TV 02 Jul 2019 -- President Bashar al-Assad says Syria fully supports the Iranian nation and the Islamic establishment against all threats and acts, which contravene international law and regulations.
- Russian-made 'missile' hits Northern Cyprus: Officials Press TV 01 Jul 2019 -- Northern Cyprus has suggested that a projectile which hit a mountainside north of the capital Nicosia appears to have been a Russian-made missile.
- Object That Hit Northern Cyprus Could Be Syria's Russia-Made Missile, Local Official Claims Sputnik 01 Jul 2019 -- An official from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), which is recognised only by Turkey, said earlier on Monday that authorities were studying debris from an unidentified flying object that may have been a missile that crashed north of Nicosia.
- Suspected Russian-Made Missile Falls on Northern Cyprus VOA 01 Jul 2019 -- Turkish Cypriot officials say a stray Russian-made missile fell just outside Nicosia during Israeli airstrikes on Syria on Sunday.
- Lebanese military demolishes Syrian refugee settlements in NE Lebanon: Aid groups Press TV 01 Jul 2019 -- Lebanese military units have begun demolishing Syrian refugee settlements in northeast Lebanon following the expiry of a government ultimatum, a group of international aid agencies say, warning that the move could affect thousands of children.
- New UN-Syrian Action Plan signals an 'important day' for child protection, says UN envoy UN News 01 Jul 2019 -- The top UN official charged with representing the interests of children caught up in armed conflict, has signed a landmark new agreement on child protection with the Force Commander of a main Syrian opposition military alliance, it was announced on Monday, aimed at ending and preventing the recruitment and use of children under the age of 18.
- Missile Attack on Damascus, Homs Outskirts Carried Out By Israeli Forces, Syrian Military Source Says Sputnik 01 Jul 2019 -- Syrian state news agency said that Syrian air defences have shot down several missiles over Damascus amid multiple reports of loud explosions in the area.
- Update: air strikes against Daesh UK MOD 01 Jul 2019 -- The RAF are continuing to take the fight to Daesh in Syria.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list