Russian General Staff Denies Accusations of Airstrikes in Syria Amid Ceasefire
16:20 19.09.2016(updated 16:28 19.09.2016)
Neither Russia's nor Syria's forces had any role in last week's alleged airstrikes in Syria, Russian Chief of the General Staff's Main Operational Directorate Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi said Monday.
MOSCOW (Sputnik) – US Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday that the Syrian government had been bombing opposition forces in the country and demanded that Russia stop these violations of the September 9 truce.
"I feel we must respond to State Secretary John Kerry's ungrounded accusations concerning 'indiscriminate bombing' by the Syrian air force. Neither Russian nor Syrian air force carried out airstrikes in the past week against areas identified in the Geneva agreement," Lt. Gen. Rudskoi said.
There is no point in unilaterally abiding by the ceasefire regime for the Syrian government as the truce is regularly violated by militant groups, Rudskoi added.
"Given the fact that militants do not abide by the ceasefire regime, we believe that there is no sense in unilateral compliance with the ceasefire by the Syrian government forces," Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi said at a briefing.
On September 9, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and US Secretary of State John Kerry announced a new peace plan to address the conflict in Syria that called for a ceasefire and anti-terrorism cooperation among other clauses of the treaty.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|