Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2014 - Syria Special Weapons News
- US-led Strikes Hit Islamic State 'Capital' VOA 30 Nov 2014 -- Syrian activists said a wave of U.S.-led airstrikes has been carried out against Islamic State militants in and around the city of Raqqa, the self-proclaimed capital of the jihadist group.
- Syria to press ahead with fighting terrorism: Officials Iran Press TV 30 Nov 2014 -- Senior Syrian officials say the country will push ahead with its efforts to fight against terrorism and establish national reconciliation, Press TV reports.
- 50 ISIL Takfiris killed in Kobani in single day: Report Iran Press TV 30 Nov 2014 -- At least 50 ISIL Takfiri terrorists have reportedly been killed in clashes, bombings and US-led airstrikes in Syria's flashpoint town of Kobani.
- ISIL militants target Kobani border crossing with Turkey Iran Press TV 29 Nov 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri militants battling Kurdish forces in the northern Syrian town of Kobani have mounted an attack along the border between the flashpoint town and neighboring Turkey.
- Ankara Denies Claims That IS Attacked Kobani From Turkish Territory Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- Turkish government denies claims that Islamic State terrorists attacked the town of Kobani from Turkish territory.
- US Military Campaign in Syria Failed to Weaken Islamic State: Syrian FM Sputnik 29 Nov 2014 -- Despite all efforts by the US-led coalition, the Islamic state is still going strong, stated Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem. Syria demonstrates its readiness to join the struggle against the Islamic State and together with Russia proposes restarting a political process between Damascus and the 'constructive Syrian opposition.'
- Syrian army captures several ISIL positions Iran Press TV 28 Nov 2014 -- Syrian troops have captured several ISIL positions in the cities of Deir al-Zor and Dara'a, killing Takfri terrorists there.
- Children in Islamic State Propaganda Send Powerful Message VOA 28 Nov 2014 -- The so-called Islamic State militants appear to be recruiting and training children in Iraq.
- Syria troops kill 50 terrorists near Damascus Iran Press TV 27 Nov 2014 -- Syrian government forces have killed at least 50 Takfiri terrorists in an ambush in the suburbs of the capital, Damascus, as they continue to make fresh gains against the foreign-backed militants.
- Kobani Almost Cleared of Islamic State Militants: Free Syrian Army Sputnik 27 Nov 2014 -- The Syrian town of Kobani is now almost free from Islamic State (IS) militants and the city defenders have now shifted to offense, the commander of the last Free Syria Army (FSA) brigade left in the town, told Sputnik radio Thursday.
- Airstrikes Target ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 26 Nov 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria yesterday and today using bomber and fighter aircraft to conduct 10 airstrikes, U.S. Central Command officials reported.
- Syria militants trained on Qatari soil: Report Iran Press TV 26 Nov 2014 -- According to a new report, militants fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria are being covertly trained on the Qatari soil with the help of the United States.
- NATO not working on 'no-fly zone' in Syria Iran Press TV 26 Nov 2014 -- NATO currently has no plans to put up a 'no-fly zone' in northern Syria as requested by Turkey to lessen security and humanitarian pressures on its southeastern borders, a top general of the military alliance says.
- Christians stand fast against ISIL terror in Syria's Aleppo Iran Press TV 26 Nov 2014 -- Tens of thousands of Christians have escaped from Syria's city of Aleppo while many others intend to stand firm against ISIL terrorists, a local official says.
- Turkey criticizes US for 'impertinence' on Syria crisis Iran Press TV 26 Nov 2014 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has slammed the United States over what he called its 'impertinence' on the Syrian conflict, further exposing the extent of divisions between Ankara and Washington on the foreign-sponsored militancy in Syria.
- Syria: humanitarian efforts falling short, UN relief chief warns, calling for end to violence UN News Centre 25 Nov 2014 -- While humanitarians have made some progress in delivering much-needed supplies to the growing numbers of people in conflict-riven Syria, efforts by the United Nations and its partners are still falling short, a top UN relief official has said today, calling on the Security Council to push for an end to the violence that is destroying the country and destabilizing the region.
- UN says Palestinian refugees from Syria face 'increasingly grave' situation region wide UN News Centre 24 Nov 2014 -- The plight of Palestine refugees from Syria in the Middle East is becoming increasingly grave caused by closed borders and a series of forced returns from neighbouring countries, Chris Gunness, spokesperson for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said today.
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 24 Nov 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq over the last three days, U.S. Central Command officials reported today.
- Real pressure must be exerted on terror backers: Syria's Assad Iran Press TV 23 Nov 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says "real pressure" must be exerted on supporters of terrorists, urging "serious efforts" to eradicate terrorism.
- US-Led Airstrikes Against Islamic State Kill Over 900 in Syria: Watchdog Sputnik 22 Nov 2014 -- Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that more than 900 people have been killed by US-led airstrikes against the Islamic State (IS) militant group in the last two months.
- Biden, Erdogan Discuss Syrian Regime Change VOA 22 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden says he and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan have discussed a Syrian transition of power away from the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- ISIL born out of wrong anti-Syria approaches: Assad Iran Press TV 21 Nov 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says Takfiri ISIL group was born out of wrong policies adopted by anti-Syria elements.
- Syria Cooperating on Destruction of Chemical Weapons: OPCW Coordinator Sputnik 21 Nov 2014 -- Syria is working with the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) on the elimination of chemical weapons.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 19 Nov 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq over the last three days, U.S. Central Command officials reported.
- Erdogan Says Arming Syrian Opposition Not Enough, Assad Must Be Toppled Sputnik 19 Nov 2014 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told journalists Wednesday that Ankara and Washington were yet to agree on the training and equipping of the opposition's Free Syrian Army (FSA), but said that allies should take steps toward the larger goal of ousting Syrian leader Bashar Assad.
- Kurdish fighters advance in heart of Kobani: Group Iran Press TV 18 Nov 2014 -- A rights group says the Kurdish forces battling the Takfiri ISIL militants in the northern Syrian city of Kobani have advanced in the heart of the flashpoint city and expelled the terrorists from several buildings.
- Kerry: IS Momentum 'Dissipated' by Coalition Attacks VOA 17 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says Islamic State (IS) fighters in Iraq and Syria are losing momentum in the face of coalition airstrikes against them. The militants, who also are known as ISIL, have beheaded a fifth Westerner, and warned that a U.S. soldiers will meet a similar fate.
- ISIL militants massacred 1,500 Syrians over 5 months: Group Iran Press TV 17 Nov 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri terrorists have executed nearly 1,500 people in Syria in five months, as they continue committing crimes against humanity on a large scale in the country, says a UK-based group.
- 6 ISIL militants killed in armed clashes in Syria's Raqqa Iran Press TV 16 Nov 2014 -- At least six militants have been killed during armed infighting in Syria's northern province of Raqqa among members of the ISIL Takfiri group operating in the Arab country.
- Graphic Video Shows Beheaded U.S. Aid Worker Kassig, 'Syrian' Captives RFE/RL 16 Nov 2014 -- A graphic video purportedly released by the militant Islamic State (IS) group shows that the Sunni extremist group has beheaded U.S. aid worker Peter Kassig, also known as Abdul Rahman Kassig, and more than a dozen men described as Syrian soldiers.
- New UN report depicts 'relentless assault' on civilians inside ISIL-controlled Syria UN News Centre 14 Nov 2014 -- Shocking accounts of the use of terror by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) to subjugate Syrians living under its control were revealed by United Nations human rights investigators today who said the group's "calculated use of public brutality" to spread fear routinely includes public beheading, shooting and stoning of civilians and captured fighters.
- As cold weather approaches, UN agencies cross frontlines of Syrian conflict with critical aid UN News Centre 14 Nov 2014 -- As the United Nations moves to broker a "freeze" of the ongoing Syrian conflict, the world body's humanitarian agencies are continuing with their deliveries of critical assistance to civilians in the Middle Eastern country's besieged areas in anticipation of an expectedly harsh winter.
- UN: Islamic State Liable for 'Massive' War Crimes VOA 14 Nov 2014 -- U.N. investigators say Islamic State militants' extreme use of violence against civilians and captured soldiers in northeast Syria amounts to war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- Military Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 14 Nov 2014 -- U.S and partner nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria Nov. 12 to 14 using bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 19 airstrikes against ISIL, U.S. Central Command officials reported, and one U.S. airstrike against a network of veteran al-Qaida operatives, sometimes called the "Khorasan Group."
- ISIL committing war crimes in Syria: United Nations Iran Press TV 14 Nov 2014 -- The United Nations says the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group is committing crimes against humanity and war crimes on a large scale in areas under its control in Syria.
- Hagel: ISIL Degraded But Remains Dangerous AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- United States and coalition forces have made progress in recent months against the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, but the campaign will be "a long and difficult struggle," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told Congress here today.
- Dempsey Urges 'Strategic Patience' in Anti-ISIL Campaign AFPS 13 Nov 2014 -- The campaign against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is just entering its fourth month, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff urged Congress and the American people to develop the strategic patience needed to see the effort through.
- Obama seeks new Syria strategy to oust Assad, defeat ISIL: Report Iran Press TV 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has asked his national security team to review US strategy toward Syria after concluding that the ISIL terrorist group may not be defeated with Bashar al-Assad in power, officials say.
- Obama Hopes to Review Syria Strategy, Oust al-Assad: CNN Report Sputnik 13 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has asked his national security team to review the US strategy in Syria after determining it is not possible to confront the IS militants without removing Syria's current president, according to a CNN report which was published early on Thursday.
- More Than 20 US-Led Air Strikes Hit Near Kobani, N. Iraq VOA 12 Nov 2014 -- The U.S. military says U.S.-led forces have conducted 16 air strikes in Syria since Monday, most around the heavily contested town of Kobani near the Turkish border.
- In Turkey, Resentment Builds Over Syrian Refugees VOA 12 Nov 2014 -- United Nations officials on Wednesday gave new figures for people displaced by the brutal conflicts in Syria and Iraq, saying about 13.6 million have been forced to flee their homes.
- Plan to 'freeze' conflict in Aleppo 'concrete, realistic,' says UN Syria envoy UN News Centre 11 Nov 2014 -- The proposal to "freeze" the Syrian conflict in the besieged city of Aleppo is gaining traction, the United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Syria confirmed today, as he explained that the new plan, if successful, could form the basis of a wide-ranging peace proposal.
- As funds dry up, UN agency warns of 'very tough' winter for displaced in Syria, Iraq UN News Centre 11 Nov 2014 -- An ongoing funding shortage coupled with a sharp growth in recent internal displacements is placing increasing pressure on United Nations efforts to assist millions of refugees across Iraq and Syria as they prepare for the onset of a long and cold winter, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has warned.
- Syria interested in ceasefire plan for Aleppo: UN envoy Iran Press TV 11 Nov 2014 -- The Syrian government is interested in the UN proposal for the suspension of fighting in the northern city of Aleppo, which can be used as a model for similar plans in other parts of the country, the UN mediator in Syria says.
- Kurds recapture parts of Kobani from ISIL militants Iran Press TV 11 Nov 2014 -- Kurdish forces fighting ISIL militants in the Syrian city of Kobani have recaptured parts of the city following heavy clashes with the Takfiri terrorists.
- Analysts: Locally Brokered Cease-fires Needed in Syria VOA 11 Nov 2014 -- Some Syria experts are advocating locally brokered peace talks, saying that small-scale cease-fires “offer hope to civilians and reduce human suffering if properly supported and implemented.”
- UN envoy holds high-level talks with Syrian officials on plan to 'freeze' Aleppo conflict UN News Centre 10 Nov 2014 -- In his effort to resolve the ongoing civil war in Syria and initiate peace talks between rebel forces and the Syrian Government, the Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, today reported "constructive discussions" with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad regarding his recent proposal on incremental "freezes" to be applied to specific zones of conflict.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Nov 2014 -- U.S and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria Nov. 7-10 using bomber, fighter and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct 23 airstrikes, U.S. Central Command officials reported today.
- Syria ready to study UN ceasefire plan for Aleppo: Assad Iran Press TV 10 Nov 2014 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says he is ready to study the United Nations' initiative to "freeze" military operations in the northern city of Aleppo.
- Lebanese army arrests Syrian militants' commander in Arsal Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- The Lebanese army has reportedly arrested a commander of the so-called Free Syrian Army (FSA) near Lebanon's border town of Arsal.
- Over 1,000 killed since ISIL launched Kobani attack: Report Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- More than 1,000 people have reportedly been killed in the Syrian Kurdish city of Kobani since ISIL Takfiri militants launched their offensive on the border city.
- ISIL Takfiri militants shell refugee camp in Kobani Iran Press TV 08 Nov 2014 -- The Takfiri ISIL terrorist group has shelled a camp sheltering people displaced from the volatile Syrian town of Kobani, killing two civilians.
- Lavrov: US, Russia Agree That Syrian Opposition Should Be Represented by Various Groups RIA Novosti 08 Nov 2014 -- Russia and the United States have discussed the political situation in Syria and the US side has agreed with Russia's thesis that at the talks with the country's government, Syrian opposition should be represented by a group, formed of various coalitions, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Saturday following his meeting with the US Secretary of State John Kerry on the sidelines of the Asian-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit in Beijing.
- Kerry, Lavrov Hold Talks On Iran, Syria, Ukraine RFE/RL 08 Nov 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says there is no link between international efforts to curb Iran's controversial nuclear program and other issues in the Middle East.
- FACT SHEET: The Administration's Strategy to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and the Updated FY 2015 Overseas Contingency Operations Request The White House 07 Nov 2014
- President to Request Additional Contingency Funds to Stop ISIL AFPS 07 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama plans to submit an updated request for fiscal year 2015 overseas contingency operations funds as the effort to defeat terrorists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant moves into its next phase, White House officials announced today.
- Efforts Underway to Stop Syria's Foreign Fighters From Bringing Violence Home VOA 07 Nov 2014 -- The United States and its partners are focusing their military might on stopping the spread of the group known as the Islamic State in Iraq and on disrupting IS operations in Syria. Behind the scenes, however, efforts also are underway to prevent the violence from spreading back to Europe and the United States.
- Turkey-bound ships take militants to Iraq, Syria: Interpol Iran Press TV 07 Nov 2014 -- Foreign terrorists are increasingly going to Turkey through booking tickets on cruise ships to join Takfiri groups in neighboring Syria and Iraq, Interpol has warned.
- Inherent Resolve Airstrikes Continue in Syria, Iraq AFPS 07 Nov 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq over the last three days, U.S. Central Command officials reported today.
- Chairman Says People of Iraq, Syria Will Defeat ISIL AFPS 06 Nov 2014 -- The people of Iraq and Syria will reject and ultimately defeat the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- Centcom Chief Notes 'Significant' Progress in ISIL Fight AFPS 06 Nov 2014 -- Three months after the United States began conducting airstrikes against terrorists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, the top U.S. military commander for the Middle East today described the progress made toward degrading and destroying the group as "significant."
- US Targets Khorasan Group with Airstrikes VOA 06 Nov 2014 -- The American general leading the fight against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq says U.S. forces have carried out more strikes against a cell of al-Qaida militants known as the Khorasan group. The Pentagon has said the organization, which is also linked to another al-Qaida-affiliated group, the Nusra Front, was plotting attacks against Europe and the United States.
- Airstrikes in Syria Target Khorasan Group Terrorist Network AFPS 06 Nov 2
- Syrian army inflicts losses on ISIL Iran Press TV 06 Nov 2014 -- The Syrian army has come out victorious in more battles against the ISIL Takfiri terrorists.
- Airstrikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 05 Nov 2014 -- U.S. military forces continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria Nov. 3 through today, using attack and fighter aircraft to conduct four airstrikes, U.S. Central Command officials reported.
- Pentagon denies Syria strategy in disarray Iran Press TV 05 Nov 2014 -- The Pentagon defends the US strategy against the ISIL terrorist organization in Syria, downplaying a series of setbacks in the ever-escalating war.
- DOD, Coalition Working Out Details for Syrian Opposition Training Program AFPS 04 Nov 2014 -- The Defense Department is progressing toward the establishment of a program to train and equip moderate Syrian opposition forces, the Pentagon press secretary said today.
- Heavy Fighting Between Kurds, IS Continues in Kobani VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- Gunfire and explosions were audible from the Syrian-Turkish border region near Kobani on Tuesday, indicating little respite from intensive clashes between Kurdish forces, backed up by Syrian rebels, and Islamic State militants.
- HRW: Islamic State Group Tortured Children in Syria VOA 04 Nov 2014 -- A Human Rights Watch report says Kurdish children between the ages of 14 - 16 were tortured and abused while detained by the Islamic State militant group in Syria.
- Syria: UN envoy proposes new plan to 'freeze' conflict, promote political solution UN News Centre 03 Nov 2014 -- The war in Syria must be "frozen locally" on the ground so that the growing threat posed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) may be fully confronted, a United Nations envoy said today, suggesting that a peace introduced in increments would also provide all stakeholders with a better understanding of how to bring the three-year conflict to a definitive conclusion.
- Inherent Resolve Strikes Continue Against ISIL in Syria, Iraq AFPS 03 Nov 2014 -- U.S. and partner-nation military forces have continued to attack Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant terrorists in Syria and Iraq, and U.S. Central Command officials have provided details of airstrikes conducted from Oct. 31 through today.
- ISIL says captured 2nd Syrian gas field over past week Iran Press TV 03 Nov 2014 -- The ISIL Takfiri militants claim to have seized another natural gas field in the central Syrian province of Homs after a week of fighting with the army.
- UN Security Council Expresses Outrage, Support for Geneva Process After Bombing in Syria RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2014 -- After the deadly bombing in Syria of an internally displaced persons camp near Idlib, the UN Security Council on Friday unanimously agreed to a Press Statement, expressing outrage, and support for the Geneva Process.
- Kobani fighting leaves 100 militants dead in 3 days Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- At least 100 militants from the ISIL terror group have been killed in three days of clashes over Syria's border city of Kobani, also known as Ain al-Arab in Arabic.
- ISIL terrorists capture Syrian gas plant in Homs Iran Press TV 01 Nov 2014 -- ISIL Takfri militants have taken control of a main gas plant in the Syrian province of Homs, an opposition group claims.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list