Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 August 2022 - Russia Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00, on August 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Aug 2022
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 30.08 Ukraine MOD 30 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 30, 2022 Ukraine MOD 30 Aug 2022
- Fighting Rages in Southern Ukraine's Kherson Region VOA 30 Aug 2022 -- While China's strategic partnership with Russia "without limits" has been widely reported since the start of the war in Ukraine, much less known is the strategic partnership Ukraine and China forged in 2011. Now, that partnership is being questioned by a key lawmaker in Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Forces Press Offensive in South As Zelenskiy Tells Russians To 'Go Home' RFE/RL 30 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has urged Russian troops to flee from an offensive launched by his forces near the strategic southern city of Kherson occupied by Moscow since early in the war, saying Ukraine's military were taking back their territory.
- Washington Post Says Ukraine Using Dummies of HIMARS to Lure Russian Missiles Sputnik 30 Aug 2022 -- Ukraine is seeking to have Russian forces waste expensive cruise missiles by deploying wooden dummies of US-supplied artillery batteries, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.
- Pentagon Doubts Ukraine Has Sufficient Capabilities for Kherson Counteroffensive: Report Sputnik 30 Aug 2022 -- Ukrainian forces kicked off a large-scale operation in Kherson region on Monday, with the strategic territory, which was liberated by Russian forces in early March, situated north of Crimea and acting as part of a land bridge linking the peninsula to the Russian mainland.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obituary: Mikhail Gorbachev, The Last Soviet Leader, Revered Around The World, Reviled By Many At Home RFE/RL 30 Aug 2022 -- Mikhail Gorbachev, who presided over the demise of the Soviet Union and helped end decades of Cold War fear, earning a Nobel Peace Prize and the lasting enmity of millions of Russians bitter about the chaos unleashed by the collapse of the world's largest country, has died. He was 91.
- Mikhail Gorbachev, Last Soviet Leader, Dead At 91 RFE/RL 30 Aug 2022 -- Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has died at the age of 91, according to Russian media.
- Mikhail Gorbachev Dead at 91 After Being Diagnosed With Serious Illness - Central Clinical Hospital Sputnik 30 Aug 2022 -- Gorbachev was the first and last president of the USSR and de facto the last head of the state from 1985 to the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991. He was known for his large-scale attempt to reform the country, called "perestroika", and for defusing international tensions with the West in the last stage of the Cold War.
- Mikhail Gorbachev: UN chief hails 'one of a kind statesman who changed the course of history' UN News 30 Aug 2022 -- The Secretary-General has paid warm tribute to the last leader of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, whose death aged 91 was announced on Tuesday, describing him as the person who "more than any other" brought about the peaceful end of the Cold War, which had dominated international relations since the 1940s.
- Kremlin Critic Navalny Sent Back To Solitary Confinement For Saying He's 'Too Political' RFE/RL 30 Aug 2022 -- Aleksei Navalny, the imprisoned Russian opposition politician, says he has been sent to solitary confinement for the third time this month as a punishment for his political activities.
- Navalny's Team Publishes Names Of 200 'Warmongers' It Says Should Be Sanctioned RFE/RL 30 Aug 2022 -- The team of jailed Russian opposition politician Aleksei Navalny has published a list of Russian officials, journalists, and celebrities it says should be sanctioned immediately for pushing the Kremlin's narrative in its ongoing unprovoked war against.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list