Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 August 2022 - Russia Special Weapons News
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 18.00, on August 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 20, 2022 Ukraine MOD 20 Aug 2022
- Russia Thwarts Drone in Crimea, Strikes Near Southern Nuclear Plant VOA 20 Aug 2022 -- Russian air defenses shot down a drone in Crimea Saturday, Russian authorities said. It was the second such incident at the headquarters of its Black Sea Fleet in three weeks.
- Drone Strikes Headquarters Of Russia's Black Sea Fleet In Ukraine's Occupied Crimea Region RFE/RL 20 Aug 2022 -- The headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine's occupied Crimea region was hit by a drone attack early on August 20, a Russia-installed administrator reported.
- Russian Shelling Hits Residential Area In Ukrainian Town Near Nuclear Plant RFE/RL 20 Aug 2022 -- Russian shelling hit a residential area in the southern region of Mykolayiv, wounding 12 civilians, including four children, on August 20, Ukrainian officials said.
- UAV Attacks Russia's Black Sea Fleet Headquarters in Sevastopol, Governor Says Sputnik 20 Aug 2022 -- In late July, at least five members of staff at the Black Sea Fleet's headquarters were injured after an unidentified object - presumably a UAV - flew into the courtyard.
- US nationals among foreign mercenaries killed in Ukraine: Russia Press TV 20 Aug 2022 -- Russia says several US nationals were among the foreign fighters killed in Russian airstrikes in Kharkov region in northeastern Ukraine.
- Moscow: Kiev poisoned Russian soldiers in Ukraine's southeastern region Press TV 20 Aug 2022 -- Moscow has accused Ukraine of poisoning a number of Russian servicemen in the Russia-controlled part of the ex-Soviet republic's southeastern region of Zaporizhzhia in late July.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Putin, Macron discuss situation in Ukraine over phone People's Daily 20 Aug 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron held a phone conversation on Friday to discuss the situation in Ukraine, the Kremlin said in a statement.
- US Treasury: Russia trying to bypass sanctions via Turkey Press TV 20 Aug 2022 -- The US Treasury Department has said that Russian entities and individuals are attempting to use Turkey to bypass Western sanctions imposed over due to the conflict in Ukraine.
- Moscow says banning Russians from entering EU recalls 'Nazi policies' Press TV 20 Aug 2022 -- Russia's Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu has denounced some member states of the European Union (EU) for barring all Russian citizens from entering the bloc, saying the move recalls "Nazi policies."
- Idea of Banning Russian Citizens From Entering EU Countries is Manifestation of Nazi Policy: Shoigu Sputnik 20 Aug 2022 -- Earlier, some EU countries, including the Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Poland and the Netherlands, have limited the issuance of Schengen visas to Russian citizens.
- Moscow to Respond to Romania's Expulsion of Russian Embassy Staffer 'Under Made-Up Pretext' Sputnik 20 Aug 2022 -- Romania claimed that the staffer's presence in the country went against the provisions of the Vienna convention regulating diplomatic relations between countries. In spring this year Romania expelled 10 Russian diplomats following the response of other western countries to Russia's special military operation in Ukraine.
- Car Accident Occurs in Moscow Region, Likely Involves Russian Philosopher Dugin's Daughter Sputnik 20 Aug 2022 -- A car has caught on fire in the Odintsovsky District in the Moscow region, a law enforcement source has confirmed to Sputnik.
- Second Anniversary of the Poisoning of Aleksey Navalny US Dept. of State 20 Aug 2022 -- "Two years ago today, officers of the Russian government attempted to assassinate opposition leader Aleksey Navalny with a nerve agent on Russian soil."
- Russia: Statement by the High Representative Josep Borrell on the second anniversary of Alexei Navalny's poisoning European External Action Service (EEAS) 20 Aug 2022 -- Two years have passed since the assassination attempt through poisoning of the Russian opposition politician, Alexei Navalny.
- European Commission Calls For Navalny's Release On Anniversary Of Near-Fatal Poisoning RFE/RL 20 Aug 2022 -- The U.S. State Department and the European Commission have criticized Russia over its treatment of imprisoned opposition leader Aleksei Navalny on the second anniversary of Navalny's near-fatal poisoning by a Soviet-era nerve agent and has called for his "immediate" release from custody.
- Russia moving away from 'toxic' dollar, euro, and SWIFT Press TV 20 Aug 2022 -- Russia says it will move away from the dollar, euro and SWIFT in commercial, economic, and investment relations with partners, as these currencies have become "toxic," Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Pankin has said.
- Russia to shut Nord Stream gas pipeline for 3 days People's Daily 20 Aug 2022 -- Russian gas giant Gazprom announced on Friday that it will suspend natural gas delivery to Europe via the Nord Stream 1 pipeline from Aug. 31 to Sept. 2 due to maintenance.
- German Regulator Says Took Note of Gazprom's Decision to Halt Nord Stream For Maintenance Sputnik 20 Aug 2022 -- The German regulatory office for energy, the Federal Network Agency, has taken note of the decision of Russian energy giant Gazprom to halt gas transportation via the Nord Stream pipeline for several days due to maintenance and technical work, Klaus Muller, the head of the agency, said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list