10 August 2022 - Russia Special Weapons News
Defense Policy / Programs
- The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 10.08 Ukraine MOD 10 Aug 2022
- The operational update regarding the russian invasion on 06.00, on August 10, 2022 Ukraine MOD 10 Aug 2022
- Sabotage, Assassinations, Propaganda: Simmering Guerrilla War Rattles Ukraine's Russian Occupiers RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- Posters have been going up on lampposts, bus stops, and apartment building entrances around the southern Ukrainian city of Kherson, seized and occupied by Russian forces in the early days after Moscow's February 24 invasion.
- Recapturing Crimea In Focus After Blasts As Russian Forces Attempt Frontline Advances RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- The leader of the Crimean Tatars' self-governing body says major explosions at a Russian airfield in Crimea are the first clear signal that the Russian-occupied peninsula will be returned to Ukraine.
- Ukraine: 9 Russian Warplanes Destroyed at Crimean Air Base VOA 10 Aug 2022 -- The Ukrainian air force says nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in massive explosions Tuesday at an air base in Crimea, the peninsula that Moscow seized in 2014. And shelling around a Ukrainian nuclear power plant has prompted an emergency meeting Thursday of the U.N. Security Council.
- Satellite Images Show Massive Destruction At Russian Air Base On Crimea RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- A Russian air base on Ukraine's annexed Crimean Peninsula suffered massive destruction in several explosions on August 9, satellite imagery made available on August 10 shows.
- Russian Shelling Said To Have Killed 13 Civilians in Dnipropetrovsk, Kilometers From Nuclear Plant RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- The governor of Ukraine's central Dnipropetrovsk region says 13 civilians were killed by Russian shelling overnight in Nikopol and Marhanets, and 11 more people injured, five of them seriously.
- Ukrainian Military Reports Heavy Fighting Along Front Line In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- Heavy fighting was reported on August 9 in frontline towns of Ukraine's eastern Donetsk region as Russian troops launched waves of attacks to try to expand their control of the Donbas.
- Russia requests Security Council meeting over attacks on Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant in Ukraine Press TV 10 Aug 2022 -- Russia has requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council concerning what it called Ukraine's continuous attacks on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, which is under Russian control, as both sides blame each other for repeated shelling of the site.
- Russia Seeks UN Security Council Meeting On Ukrainian Nuclear Plant RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- A Russian envoy to the United Nations says Moscow has requested a meeting of the UN Security Council on August 11 to discuss issues concerning the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant, which its troops seized early in the five-month-old invasion of Ukraine.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia accuses US of 'provocative' weapons inspection move Press TV 10 Aug 2022 -- Russia has accused the US of "unreasonable and unnecessary escalation" in announcing an inspection of Moscow's nuclear armaments under a mutual arms control treaty.
- U.K. Says It's Likely That Russia Has Established New Ground Corps That Leans Heavily On 'Volunteers' RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- Britain says Russia has "almost certainly established a major new ground forces formation" that could include "volunteer" battalions to support its Ukrainian invasion.
- Russian Surveillance Aircraft Spotted Near Alaskan Air Space VOA 10 Aug 2022 -- The U.S. military says Russian military surveillance aircraft entered the Alaskan Air Defense Identification Zone on two separate occasions over the past two days.
- Mali Receives Military Aircraft from Russia VOA 10 Aug 2022 -- Mali's military government has received several fighter jets and helicopters from Russia, which has become a close and controversial ally in its fight against Islamist militants.
- Telephone conversation with Interim President of Mali Assimi Goita President of Russia 10 Aug 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Interim President of the Republic of Mali Assimi Goita at the latter's initiative.
- EU Ban On Russian Coal Set To Go Into Effect Overnight RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- An EU embargo on the import of Russian coal goes into effect on August 11 after a midnight deadline for the transition period agreed by bloc members four months ago.
- Druzhba Oil Flows To Resume After Weeklong Suspension Blamed On Russia Sanctions RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- Russia's pipeline monopoly Transneft and Hungarian energy group MOL say oil flows are poised to resume through the Druzhba pipeline on August 10 after nearly a weeklong stoppage due to complications from sanctions.
- The Dead Of The 64th: A Notorious Russian Army Unit And Its High Casualty Rate RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- At the headquarters of Russian military unit 51460 in the Far Eastern region of Khabarovsk, a memorial wall dedicated to the fallen soldiers of the unit, known more widely as the 64th Separate Guards Motor Rifle Brigade, was erected not long ago.
- Russian envoy: Terrorists to be swiftly wiped out should US pull out troops from Syria Press TV 10 Aug 2022 -- Russia's permanent ambassador to the United Nations has emphasized the need for eradicating terrorism in Syria, saying the withdrawal of US troops from the Arab country would facilitate the elimination of the remaining terrorists there.
- Belarusian 'Railway Guerrillas' Handed Prison Terms RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- Five Belarusian activists who were arrested for allegedly damaging railways in the country to disrupt the transportation of Russian arms and troops to war-torn Ukraine have been sentenced on terrorism charges.
- Uzbekistan Warns Its Citizens Of Repercussions If They Join Russian Military In War-Torn Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Aug 2022 -- The Uzbek Embassy in Moscow has warned the Central Asian nation's citizens residing in Russia of serious repercussions for joining Russia's ongoing unprovoked invasion of Ukraine.
- Blinken on three-nation Africa tour to counteract Russian influence Press TV 10 Aug 2022 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is currently on a three-nation African tour, vying for US military, political and economic influence in the continent where Russia has gained a firm foothold in recent years.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|