Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2013 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Chinese, Russian officials pledge to lift bilateral military cooperation People's Daily 31 Oct 2013 -- Senior Chinese and Russian officials pledged here Wednesday to lift the level of bilateral military cooperation.
- Russian Tu-160 Strategic Bombers Land in Nicaragua RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2013 -- Two Russian Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers arrived in Nicaragua on Thursday after taking off from an airbase in Venezuela, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia's Defense Ministry Plans Drug Use Crackdown in Army − Report RIA Novosti 31 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry plans to launch a campaign to root out drug abuse in the army and military schools, local media reported Thursday.
- Putin Checks Readiness of Russia's Nuclear Deterrent RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin oversaw a snap check Wednesday of Russia's nuclear deterrent, aerospace defenses and strategic aviation.
- Russia's Kalashnikov Expands Small Arms Export List RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2013 -- Russia's newly formed arms maker Kalashnikov Concern has added three new firearms to the list of weaponry authorized for export, a company spokesperson said Wednesday.
- Opposition Leader Navalny Faces New Embezzlement Charge RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- Opposition leader Alexei Navalny is facing fresh charges of embezzlement over an alleged scheme to defraud a local branch of cosmetics manufacturer Yves Rocher, investigators said Tuesday.
- Russian Tu-160 Strategic Bombers Land in Venezuela RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- Two Russian Tupolev Tu-160 Blackjack strategic bombers on Monday flew from an airbase in southwestern Russia and landed in Venezuela, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Conscripts to Study Military History RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to develop a course on the history of the Russian army as part of mandatory training for conscripted soldiers in an effort to reinvigorate patriotic and cultural climate within the military.
- New Sukhoi T-50 Fighter Jet Prototype Joins Testing Program RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- A fifth flying prototype of Russia's future T-50 fighter jet has flown for the first time at a manufacturing plant in Russia's Far East, the Sukhoi aircraft maker said.
- Russian Defense Researchers Arrested for $15.7M Embezzlement RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- A former Russian Defense Ministry research institute director and his deputy have been arrested on suspicion of embezzling 500 million rubles ($15.7 million) in state funds, the Investigative Committee said Tuesday.
- Russia Holds Military Drills in Arctic RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- Russian airborne assault forces and military transport aviation units have conducted an exercise in the Arctic, a senior defense official said Tuesday.
- Putin's Spokesman Denies Media Reports of Spying on G20 Powers RIA Novosti 29 Oct 2013 -- President Vladimir Putin's spokesman said Tuesday that media reports claiming that Russian special services tried to spy on foreign delegates during a recent G20 summit were an unsubstantiated attempt to divert attention away from more pressing espionage allegations against Washington.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over United States RIA Novosti 27 Oct 2013 -- Russian military inspectors will begin monitoring flights over the United States starting Sunday under the international Open Skies Treaty, a Russian Defense Ministry official said.
- Medvedev Says 'Fast-Growing' China Poses No Danger to Russia RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2013 -- Russia has nothing to fear from the fast-growing China, but could benefit from this cooperation, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said in a televised interview Saturday.
- India's Share in Joint Fighter Project With Russia Likely to Grow RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2013 -- India's share in research-and-development work for the joint Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) project with Russia is currently limited by India's domestic industrial capabilities but will gradually increase with the project's implementation, a Russian military expert said Friday.
- Russia Mulls Development of New Super-Heavy Carrier Rocket RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Federal Space Agency, Roscosmos, is to discuss with leading Russian scientists development of a new launch vehicle capable of carrying up payloads to 70 tons, its head said Friday.
- Law Passed in Russia to Punish Terrorists' Relatives RIA Novosti 25 Oct 2013 -- Russian legislators unanimously passed a law Friday forcing the relatives of terrorists to pay for the damages caused by their attacks.
- Russia's Female Suicide Bombers: Well-Organized and Hard to Stop RIA Novosti 24 Oct 2013 -- Investigators say that moments after Naida Asiyalova, a wan 30-year-old from Russia's violence-plagued republic of Dagestan, boarded a public bus one afternoon this week in the city of Volgograd, the bomb she was carrying exploded, claiming six lives.
- Russian Embassy Denies US Spying Allegations RIA Novosti 24 Oct 2013 -- Allegations of the possible involvement of the Washington-based Russian Cultural Center in spying activities are an attempt to derail the Russian-US program of cultural exchange and undermine mutual trust, a spokesman for the Russian Embassy said.
- Turkish Military Claims Interception of Russian Spy Plane RIA Novosti 24 Oct 2013 -- Two Turkish fighter jets have been recently scrambled to intercept a Russian military plane in international airspace over the Black Sea in a rare air incident between the two countries, the Turkish military said.
- Russia Plans to Dispose of 3.5Bln Ammo Rounds, 140,000 Missiles by 2020 RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2013 -- Russia plans to dismantle about 140,000 old missiles and 3.5 billion rounds of obsolete ammunition by 2020, but the country may have trouble meeting that deadline, an Industry and Trade Ministry official said Wednesday.
- Russian Missile Forces to Field All-New Arsenal by 2021 RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (RVSN) will be fully equipped with fifth-generation missile systems by 2021, a Defense Ministry spokesman said Wednesday.
- Russian Commandos to Adopt New Underwater Assault Rifles RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2013 -- Russia's army is set to adopt a new assault rifle that performs effectively both on the ground and underwater.
- Russia Retires Faulty Glonass-M Satellite RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2013 -- A satellite in the fleet of Russia's answer to GPS has been decommissioned because of a terminal malfunction, space officials said Tuesday.
- NATO-Russia Council discusses widening cooperation NATO 23 Oct 2013 -- NATO Defence Ministers together with their Russian counterpart, Sergey Shoygu, discussed ways to widen their practical cooperation and exchanged views on pressing events on the international agenda, including Syria, during a NATO-Russia Council (NRC) meeting on Wednesday (23 October 2013). "We are doing more together an ever before and counter-terrorism is a centre-piece of our cooperation," said NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
- Russian Nuclear Cruiser Departs on Atlantic Mission RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2013 -- The flagship of Russia's Northern Fleet, the nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky, set off Tuesday from a naval base in northern Russia for the Atlantic on a regular tour of duty, a fleet spokesman said.
- MiG Begins Testing New Russian Navy Fighter Jets RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2013 -- Russian aircraft maker MiG has started flight tests of series-produced MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighter jets slated for delivery to the Russian Navy, the company said Tuesday.
- Iran Gives Drone Based on 'Downed' US Spy Plane to Russia RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2013 -- Iran's Revolutionary Guards have presented Russia with an unmanned spy plane that Tehran says was reverse-engineered from a US machine it claims to have captured last year, local media reported.
- At Least 6 Killed in Attack by Female Suicide Bomber in Russia – Official RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2013 -- Investigators in Russia said at least six people were killed Monday after a suspected female suicide bomber detonated an explosive device on a bus in the southern city of Volgograd.
- Iran gives indigenous ScanEagle drone to Russia Iran Press TV 21 Oct 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says Iran gave Russia one of its indigenous ScanEagle unmanned aerial vehicles as a sign of friendship and cooperation between the two countries.
- Russia Close to Ink Air Defense Deal With Brazil – Minister RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- Russia and Brazil are at the final stages of talks on the delivery of Russian Pantsir-S1 air defense systems to the Latin American country, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- Russia Offers Brazil New Joint Space Projects RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- Russia and Brazil have discussed prospects of cooperation in the space industry aimed at further development of Brazil's ambitious space program, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- Fighting Asteroids a New Task for Russia's Space Industry RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- Russia's space agency has a new mission on its plate: fighting asteroids, the organization's head said Sunday.
- US Asks Russia to Delay Satellite Launch - Official RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- The US asked to delay today's launch of a Russian Proton rocket carrying an American commercial satellite after problems with one of its communications centers, a space agency official said Sunday.
- Explainer: Russia's Prison Amnesty RFE/RL 19 Oct 2013 -- The Russian presidential human rights council has presented Vladimir Putin with its proposal for a sweeping prison amnesty to mark the 20th anniversary of the country's adoption of its post-Soviet constitution. Up to one quarter of the country's inmates could walk free under the amnesty.
- Russian Military Inspectors to Fly Over NATO Territory RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- Russia will begin Sunday monitoring flights over NATO members Slovakia and the Czech Republic under the international Open Skies Treaty, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Iran, Russia Air Force commanders meet in Tehran Iran Press TV 20 Oct 2013 -- The Iranian and Russian Air Force commanders have met in the Iranian capital, Tehran, to exchange views on ways of further expanding Tehran-Moscow cooperation in military and defense sectors.
- Russian Military to Adopt 'Future Soldier' Gear in 2014 RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry will start mass purchases of domestically designed "future soldier" gear in 2014, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- Russia Sends Naval Task Force on Pacific Mission RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2013 -- A naval task force from Russia's Pacific Fleet will depart Saturday on a two-month tour of duty in the Pacific Ocean, a navy spokesman said Friday.
- Russia to Deploy Combat Helicopters at Armenian Base RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2013 -- Russia will strengthen its air contingent at the Erebuni air base in Armenia with a helicopter squadron in the next few months, the base commander said Friday.
- Russian Defense Minister Rebukes Officials for Talking to Media RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Defense Minister gave a dressing-down to defense officials Friday for using the media to anonymously express concern about conditions in the army, suggesting they played into the hands of journalists seeking to sensationalize the issue.
- 'Orphaned' Ammo Arsenal Found in S.Russia RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2013 -- A large amount of ammunition has been found on the premises of a former military base in southern Russia, a regional law enforcement source told RIA Novosti on Friday.
- Russia Close to Complete Attack Helicopter Deliveries to Brazil RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2013 -- Russia is planning to deliver the remaining Mi-35M Hind-E attack helicopters to Brazil under the 2008 contract in the next few months, a senior government official said Thursday.
- Russian Government Calls for FSB to Tackle Cyber Crime RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2013 -- The Russian government has submitted amendments to state lawmakers that would give the country's Federal Security Service (FSB) the authority to investigate and fight hacker attacks.
- Russian Special Forces to Test New Thermal Scopes RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2013 -- The Defense Ministry will start official tests of a new thermal vision scope as part of Russia's futuristic combat kit later this month, the system's developer said Thursday.
- Russia's Newest Diesel Sub to Continue Barents Sea Trials RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2013 -- A Russian fourth-generation diesel-electric Sankt Peterburg submarine arrived Thursday at a Northern Fleet base to continue sea trials, a spokesman for the Western Military District said.
- Court Suspends Navalny Sentence; He Vows Appeal RFE/RL 16 Oct 2013 -- Russia's most prominent critic of President Vladimir Putin -- will not be returned to prison.
- Russian Opposition Leader Navalny Given Suspended Sentence RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2013 -- A court in Russia offered outspoken opposition leader Alexei Navalny a reprieve Wednesday by granting him a suspended sentence on embezzlement charges.
- Sentence Suspended for Russian Opposition Leader VOA 16 Oct 2013 -- A Russian appeals court has suspended the five-year prison sentence of anti-corruption blogger and opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- Russia, S.Korea Coast Guards Hold Joint Anti-Terror Exercise RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2013 -- Russian coast guards and South Korean marine police units have conducted a joint anti-terror exercise in Russia's Maritime Territory, the local Federal Security Service (FSB) said.
- Angola Inks $1Bln Arms Deals With Russia – Paper RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2013 -- Russia's state arms export monopoly has signed a $1 billion deal package with Angola to deliver military equipment, build an ammunition plant and provide maintenance services, Vedomosti business daily reported Wednesday.
- France Floats Out First Russian Mistral Warship RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- A French shipyard floated out the first of two Mistral-class amphibious assault ships being built for the Russian Navy.
- Russian Security Services Foil Chemical Terror Attack Officials RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- Russian authorities said that they have detained two men suspected of planning a terrorist attack at a chemical weapons storage facility.
- Russian Parliament to Consider Toughening Terrorism Law RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- Russian lawmakers will consider in the first reading a presidential bill outlining punishments for a number of terror-related offenses, including criminal liability for training in terrorist camps.
- Russia Rotates Peacekeepers in Transdnestr RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- Russia has completed an annual rotation of its peacekeeping battalion in Moldova's breakaway region of Transdnestr.
- Russia to Launch First Private Satellite in Feb. 2014 RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- Russia will launch its first-ever spacecraft to be 100 percent funded by domestic private capital in February 2014.
- Russia to Make Second Attempt at Mars Moon Mission Scientist RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2013 -- Russia will take a second crack at bringing back dust samples from Phobos, one of the moons of Mars, after an attempt in 2011 ended in the spacecraft crashing back to Earth.
- Russia to Offer Brazil Stake in Future Advanced Fighter Project RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2013 -- A Russian military delegation about to visit Brazil will offer joint development of a fifth-generation combat aircraft "of the type" of its own most newest fighter to Brazilian defense officials, a member of the delegation told RIA Novosti Monday.
- Russian Commandos Train for Arctic Combat RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2013 -- Russian army special forces units have had their first training sessions in Arctic warfare, under plans to boost the country's military presence in the region, a Western Military District spokesman said Monday.
- Refitted Aircraft Carrier to Leave for India November 30 – Deputy Premier RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2013 -- A Russian-built aircraft carrier refitted for the Indian Navy will finally leave for India on November 30, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Monday, following an overhaul that is years late, and cost over twice the original budgeted price.
- Russian air force to get 30 new fighter jets Iran Press TV 12 Oct 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has announced that the country's major aircraft manufacturer, Sukhoi Company, will deliver a total of 30 twin-seat Sukhoi Su-34 (Fullback) fighter bombers to the Russian Air Force by the end of 2014.
- Russian Air Force to Receive 30 New Fighter-Bombers by 2015 RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2013 -- The Sukhoi aircraft maker will deliver a total of 30 Su-34 Fullback strike aircraft to the Russian Air Force by the end of 2014, the Defense Ministry said.
- Russia test-fires nuclear-capable Topol missile Iran Press TV 11 Oct 2013 -- Russian military says it has successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable RS-12M Topol missile in the nation's southern region as part of what it describes as a series of tests of new combat equipment.
- Russia Appoints New Space Chief RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2013 -- Former Deputy Defense Minister Oleg Ostapenko will head up Russia's Federal Space Agency, Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Thursday. The move comes as part of a major reshuffle of the country's troubled space industry.
- Russian Warheads Fuel Half of US Nuclear Power – Official RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2013 -- Decommissioned Russian warheads are fueling "approximately half of the nuclear energy in the United States," a senior US State Department official said Wednesday.
- Russia to order attack helicopters from domestic builder Iran Press TV 09 Oct 2013 -- A senior Russian military official has announced a Defense Ministry plan to purchase 32 ship-borne attack and civil helicopters from a Russian defense manufacturer.
- Russian Defense Ministry to Order 32 Shipborne Helicopters in 2014 – Official RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to buy 32 shipborne helicopters from Russian Helicopters' Progress Arsenyev division, a Deputy Defense Minister said Wednesday during a visit to the factory.
- Russia Sends Azov Warship Back to Mediterranean RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Azov large landing ship will resume its mission as part of the Russian naval task force in the Mediterranean after a short training stint in the Baltic Sea, a Black Sea Fleet spokesman said.
- Russia Adds Kalashnikov Concern to 'Strategic' List RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2013 -- Russia's newly formed arms maker Kalashnikov Concern has been added to the list of strategic enterprises to ensure its stable development and efficient operation, the company said.
- Russian Space Agency Faces Major Reform RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2013 -- The Russian government is set to radically centralize its space industry in a bid to combat major inefficiencies and cut down on the misuse of funds under plans unveiled Wednesday by Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.
- Defense Minister Shoigu to Push Russian Arms Sales in Brazil, Peru RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2013 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu will depart next week on a four-day trip to Brazil and Peru to promote the sales of Russian weaponry to these countries, the Kommersant daily reported Wednesday.
- Russian official to promote weapon sales in Brazil, Peru Iran Press TV 09 Oct 2013 -- Russia's Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu plans to promote Russian arms sales in South America during an upcoming four-day visit to Brazil and Peru.
- Russia's New Nuclear Submarine Completes White Sea Trials RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2013 -- Russia's new-generation nuclear-powered submarine has successfully completed the first round of sea trials in the White Sea, the manufacturer said Tuesday.
- Russia to Up Nuclear Weapons Spending 50% by 2016 RIA Novosti 08 Oct 2013 -- Russia is to increase annual spending on nuclear weapons by more than 50 percent in the next three years, a parliamentary defense committee said Tuesday.
- Russia-Led Security Bloc Holds Joint Military Drills RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2013 -- Members of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), a Russia-led military alliance of former Soviet states, started joint peacekeeping drills on Monday in Russia's Urals region, the Central Military District said.
- Russia to Deploy New S-400 Air Defense Regiment Near Moscow RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2013 -- A new regiment equipped with S-400 Triumf air defense missile systems will be put on combat duty to bolster the air defenses around the Russian capital by the end of 2013, the Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Russian Army Base Deal with Tajikistan Key to Regional Security – Lawmaker RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2013 -- The ratification last week of an agreement extending the lease on Russia's military base in Tajikistan is crucial for regional security, a senior Russian lawmaker said Monday.
- Paintball Could Be Part of Combat Training in Russian Army RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2013 -- A senior member of the Russian Public Chamber on Monday proposed including paintball as part of regular combat training in the Russian armed forces.
- Russia to perform survey flights over Portugal, Spain Iran Press TV 06 Oct 2013 -- Russian Defense Ministry has announced that the country's military inspectors will begin aerial survey flights this week above Portugal and Spain under the international Treaty on Open Skies.
- Iran, Russia to continue negotiations on S-300 missile system: FM spokeswoman IRNA 05 Oct 2013 -- Iran and Russia, in line with their cordial relations, will continue negotiations on S-300 surface-to-air defense system until reaching an agreement so that Russia keeps its promises and supplies Iran with the system, the Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said on Saturday.
- Iran's new DDF system fully operational: Commander Iran Press TV 05 Oct 2013 -- A senior Iranian commander says the enemy can no longer conceal itself since the new Digital Direction Finder (DDF) system has become fully operational.
- Russia, India mull plane assembly deal Iran Press TV 04 Oct 2013 -- Russia and India are considering an aeronautics agreement that would allow the assembly of Russian Sukhoi Superjet 100 and Irkut MS-21 passenger jets in the South Asian country.
- New 'Stealth' Corvette Joins Russia's Caspian Flotilla RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2013 -- A new Project 21630 (Buyan-class) corvette has arrived at a naval base hosting Russia's Caspian Flotilla to boost the country's maritime defenses in the region, a flotilla's spokesman said.
- Russian Military Short of Healthy Draftees – Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2013 -- The Russian military continues to experience shortage of conscripts physically fit to serve in the armed forces, a senior military official said commenting on the autumn draft period being held in Russia from October 1 to December 31.
- Russian Paratroopers to Take Part in Anti-Terror Drills With India RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2013 -- Russian paratroopers from the Eastern Military District will take part in an annual joint anti-terrorism exercise with India on October 18-28, a district's spokesman said.
- Russia Considering Offering India Airliner Assembly Deals RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2013 -- Russia could agree on a deal to start assembling Sukhoi Superjet 100 and Irkut MS-21 passenger jets in India, an official at the Russian Economic Development Ministry said Friday.
- Slow START: US Increases Deployed Nuclear Forces Scientists RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2013 -- The United States has in the past six months increased its deployed nuclear forces and is moving slowly to implement the New START nuclear disarmament treaty.
- Russia to Test Launch Newest ICBM by Year-End Industry Official RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2013 -- The test launch of Russia’s newest intercontinental ballistic missile, codenamed Rubezh, could take place before the end of the year.
- Russia to See 20-Ton Combat Drone by 2018 Industry Source RIA Novosti 03 Oct 2013 -- The prototype of Russia’s first 20-ton combat drone will be unveiled in 2018.
- Russia Plans 4 Proton Rocket Launches by Year-End RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2013 -- Russia is planning to launch four more Proton carrier rockets by the end of this year.
- Russia Plans to Use Glonass System to Operate Satellites RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2013 -- The Russian Defense Ministry is planning to use the country’s Glonass global positioning and navigation satellite network to operate other satellites in orbit.
- Bangladesh embarks on nuke power programme IRNA 02 Oct 2013 -- Bangladesh Wednesday Laid the foundation stone for its first 2,000-MW nuclear power plant complex to be built with Russian assistance.
- Russia Unprepared to Deal With Space Alien Invasion Official RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2013 -- A Russian military space official admitted Wednesday that the country will be powerless to act should Earth become the target of an interplanetary incursion.
- Russian Ground Forces to Receive 750 Units of Military Hardware RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2013 -- The Russian Ground Forces will receive over 750 units of military hardware in 2014.
- Tajik Lawmakers Ratify Russian Military Base Lease RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2013 -- The lower house of Tajikistan’s parliament ratified a long-stalled deal to extend the lease of Russia’s military base in the Central Asian nation until 2042.
- Russia Allows Army Draftees to Serve With Pets RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2013 -- Russian conscripts whose dogs are trained for certain activities are welcome to do their mandatory year of military service with their pets.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list