Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2012 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russia Destroys 62% of its Chemical Weapons RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2012 -- About 25,000 metric tons of chemical weapons, or 62 percent of Russia's stockpile, have been destroyed by April 29, the day when the International Chemical Weapons Convention came into force.
- Iran slams Russian miltiary official's remarks on US missile system IRNA 28 Apr 2012 -- Iran on Saturday lashed out at a Russian military official for his surprising statement that deploying US missile system does not pose a threat to Russia.
- Russia Orders More S-300 SAM Missiles RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has resumed large-scale procurements of modernized S-300V surface-to-air missile systems, the manufacturer said on Saturday.
- Medvedev Sacks Russian Air Force Commander - Kremlin RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked Russian Air Force Commander, Colonel-General Alexander Zelin and dismissed him from military service, the Kremlin said on Friday.
- No Plans for NATO Base in Russia – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- There have never been talks on setting up a NATO base in Russia and there are no plans to build NATO facilities anywhere in the country, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Russian-Built Frigate Joins Indian Navy RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- India on Friday formally commissioned a new frigate into its navy, following a handover ceremony at a shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad.
- Russia, China Complete Naval Drills RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2012 -- Russia and China have completed a naval exercise in the Yellow Sea, off the coast of Qingdao in eastern China, a Russian Navy commander said on Thursday.
- One Man Rule Bad for Russia – Medvedev (Wrap) RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2012 -- Political power in Russia should not lie in the hands of one man alone, outgoing President Dmitry Medvedev said on Thursday during a televised interview in which he hailed his four-year-long ruling “tandem” with his powerful mentor, Vladimir Putin.
- Rogozin Recalled as NATO Missile Defense Envoy RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Outgoing President Dmitry Medvedev on Wednesday relieved Dmitry Rogozin of his duties as Russia's representative to NATO over a planned U.S.-led missile shield in Europe, the Kremlin's press service said.
- Russia, Kyrgyzstan Sign Military Base Lease Deal RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Russia signed a deal with Kyrgyzstan on Tuesday agreeing the rent Russia will pay for using military facilities in that country.
- Putin To Quit As Head of Russian Ruling Party RFE/RL 24 Apr 2012 -- Russian President-elect Vladimir Putin has said that he plans to resign as chairman of Russia's increasingly unpopular ruling party, United Russia.
- Putin Quits United Russia Party RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- MOSCOW, April 24 (Marc Bennetts, RIA Novosti) – President-in-waiting Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday he would stand down as head of the ruling United Russia party and nominated outgoing President Dmitry Medvedev as its new leader.
- Russia to Draft New Defense Industry Concept by Yearend RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Russia will draft a new concept for the development of its defense industry that reflects existing and potential threats to its national security by the end of 2012, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Tuesday.
- Russian Military Concedes Iran, N. Korea Nuclear Threat RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Russia's military leadership has for the first time acknowledged a nuclear threat from Iran and North Korea.
- Russia Repeats Iskander Deployment Threat RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Moscow reiterated on Tuesday it may deploy Iskander theater ballistic missiles in the Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad that will be capable of effectively engaging elements of the U.S. missile defense system in Poland.
- Russian Paratroopers Test New Portable Radar RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2012 -- Russian paratroopers have started testing a modernized portable radar that could be installed on airborne combat vehicles or carried by a small crew, the Defense Ministry said on Tuesday.
- No Decision to Withdraw Transdnestr Ammo – Rogozin RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Russia has not made any decision to withdraw ammunition stockpiles from Moldova's breakaway region of Transdnestr, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Monday.
- Russia 'Years Behind' in Military Electronics RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2012 -- Russia's defense electronics are up to 12 years behind foreign analogs, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Monday.
- Russian Warships Arrive in China for Joint Drills RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2012 -- A Russian naval task group arrived at the eastern Chinese port city of Qingdao on Saturday for joint exercises with the Chinese navy, a captain said.
- No Russian-Italian Deal on Missile Defense RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2012 -- Russia failed to sway Italy on NATO’s missile defense shield that is to be deployed in Europe, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said.
- Russia to Test Fly First Combat Drone in 2014 RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2012 -- Russia will test fly its first domestically-produced strike unmanned aerial vehicle in 2014.
- Domodedovo Security Lapse Case Closed - Investigators RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Investigative Committee said it is closing a criminal case into security violations that led to last year’s deadly blast at Moscow’s Domodedovo Airport.
- Updated Magnitsky Act Introduced in U.S. Congress RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2012 -- An updated bill imposing a visa ban and asset freeze on Russian officials allegedly linked to the death in custody of Russian tax lawyer Sergei Magnitsky in Russia has been introduced in the U.S. Congress.
- NATO Chief Says Missile Defense Shield Will Not Threaten Russia RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has reiterated that the alliance's plan to build a missile-defense shield in Europe will not "threaten" Russia.
- U.S. Could Benefit From Russian Radars - Pentagon official RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Missile defense cooperation with Russia, including the use of Russian radars, would benefit the United States, Director of the Missile Defense Agency Lt. Gen. Patrick O'Reilly said.
- Russian Military Orders Missile Early Warning Satellites RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has signed contracts on the development and construction of satellites capable of detecting launches of ballistic missiles.
- Statement by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the press point following the NATO-Russia Council meeting in Foreign Ministers session NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Opening remarks by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the NATO-Russia Council meeting in Foreign Ministers session NATO 19 Apr 2012
- Chairman’s statement: Meeting of the NATO-Russia Council at the level of Foreign Ministers held in Brussels on 19 April 2012 NATO 19 Apr 2012
- NATO-Russia Ministers discuss closer cooperation NATO 19 Apr 2012 -- NATO foreign ministers together with their Russian counterpart, Sergey Lavrov, marked 10 years of increased bilateral cooperation under the NATO-Russia Council at talks on 19 April.
- Russia Cuts 2012 Defense Spend by Almost $1 Bln RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russia will reduce defense spending for 2012 by 25 billion rubles ($833 million), Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Sukhorukov said.
- Russia, U.S. to Hold Joint Anti-Terror Drills RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- A detachment from the Russian Airborne Assault Forces will go to the United States in May for a joint anti-terror exercise.
- Russia Signs $35-Mln Missile Contract with Malaysia RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- Russia and Malaysia have signed a $35-million contract on the delivery of RVV-AE air-to-air missiles for the Malaysian air force.
- Russia to Deliver More Air Defense Systems to Belarus RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- Russia will continue deliveries of Tor-M2 air defense systems to Belarus in 2012, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said.
- Russia’s Yak-130 Joins Philippine Combat Trainer Tender RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- Russia has decided to join a tender on the delivery of six light fighter jets to the Philippines with its new Yakovlev Yak-130 Mitten combat trainer.
- Russia, Morocco Pledge Stronger Military Ties RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- Russia and Morocco have agreed to strengthen bilateral military-technical cooperation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Putin’s Presidency to ‘Bring No Foreign Policy Changes’ RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- The return of PM Putin to the post of Russia’s president he held in 2000-2008 will not cause serious changes in the country’s foreign policy.
- PACE Election Criticism ‘Logical’ - Russia RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- The report by a delegation of monitors from the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe on Russia’s presidential elections is realistic while its criticism is logical.
- Financial Crisis No Impact On Military Spending In Russia And China RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia and China were among the few nations to increase military spending last year amid the global financial crisis.
- Iran Reports ‘Progress’ on Indigenous S-300 Missile RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Iran’s Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi has announced progress in the development and manufacture of an indigenous version of the advanced Russian S-300 air defense missile system.
- Russia-China Su-35 Fighter Talks Frozen RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Negotiations on the sale of Russian advanced Su-35 Flanker-E fighters to China have been put on hold over Beijing’s refusal to buy a large consignment.
- Russia, Indonesia to Clinch $100M Armored Vehicle Deal RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia will soon sign a contract with Indonesia to deliver 37 infantry fighting vehicles worth more than $100 million.
- Malaysia in Talks with Russia on SAM, AT Missiles, Gunboats RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Malaysia is close to a contract with Russia on the delivery of Kornet antitank missile systems, Igla portable anti-aircraft missiles and is also negotiating a deal on Russian guided missile and patrol boats.
- Russian Nuclear Reactors’ Designer Held on Suspicion of Fraud RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- The head of the Russian nuclear reactor design bureau Gidropress has been detained on suspicion of a fraud scheme.
- Russia to Test Second Glonass-K Satellite in 2013 RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia plans to begin testing its second Glonass-K navigation satellite in 2013, Grigory Stupak, the deputy head of the Russian Space Systems company producing navigation and other equipment for the satellite, said.
- Russia to Increase Number of Space Service Centers to 25 RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- The overall number of Russian centers providing services based on data received via Glonass satellites will reach 25.
- Roscosmos Ready to Give Phobos-Grunt Second Try RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s space agency Roscosmos backed an initiative to give the Phobos-Grunt project a second chance.
- Russia Says U.S., NATO Must Change Position On Missile Shield RFE/RL 16 Apr 2012 -- Russian Deputy FM Grushko has called for the US and NATO to change their position on a missile-defense system.
- Some 40 Russian Bombers Exercise Near Japan Frontier RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2012 -- About 40 strategic bombers will participate in five-day drills in Russia’s Maritime Territory near the Japanese border.
- Belarus, Russia to Stage Airborne Assault Drills RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2012 -- Russian and Belarusian airborne assault forces will conduct a three-day joint tactical exercise, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia To Set Up Arctic Border Posts RFE/RL 16 Apr 2012 -- The daily "Izvestiya" reports that Russia's border service plans to establish 20 new Arctic border posts.
- Russian Ministry Backs Space Observatory Entry Proposal RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Education Ministry supports a proposal by Russian astronomers for the country to join the European Southern Observatory.
- Four Pacific Fleet's Warships Leave Russia for China RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2012 -- Four Russian warships from the Pacific Fleet, as well as support vessels, warplanes, helicopters and naval infantry, will leave Vladivostok on Sunday for a joint exercise with Chinese naval forces, a spokesman for the fleet said.
- State Contract for Borey-Class Submarines Faces Delays RIA Novosti 14 Apr 2012 -- A contract to build Borey class submarines, the most costly of the 2012 state defense orders, faces delays over pricing, the Kommersant daily said on Saturday citing shipbuilding and defense sources.
- Finnish Professor Charged with Spying for Russia RIA Novosti 14 Apr 2012 -- Authorities in Denmark have charged a Finnish academic with aiding alleged Russian spies in Copenhagen, Finland's national broadcaster YLE has said.
- Russian Warships to Patrol Syrian Coast RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- MOSCOW, April 13 (RIA Novosti) – Russian warships will be continuously deployed for patrol duty off the Syrian coast in the Mediterranean, a high-ranking source in the Russian Defense Ministry said on Friday.
- Russia May Consider Establishing Private Military Companies RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- Russia may create private military companies and possibly use them for missions abroad. Prime Minister and President-elect Vladimir Putin mentioned this possibility after he delivered his report on the government’s performance in 2011 to the State Duma.
- Russian Warship to Join Anti-Piracy Mission in May RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- A task force from Russia's Northern Fleet, led by the Udaloy class destroyer Vice Admiral Kulakov, will arrive in the Gulf of Aden in the beginning of May to join an anti-piracy mission off the Somali coast.
- Russia to Seek Repatriation of Bout, Yaroshenko – FM Lavrov RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- Moscow will take all possible legal steps to ensure the repatriation of Russian businessman Viktor Bout and pilot Konstantin Yaroshenko sentenced to long prison terms in the United States, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Bout Calls on Russia to Sue U.S., Thailand in International Court RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- Convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout, who has been sentenced to 25 years in a U.S. jail, called on Russia on Thursday to file a lawsuit against the United States and Thailand to the International Court of Justice.
- Russian Firm to Roll Out Moon Rover RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- The prototype of the Russian moon rover competing for the Google Lunar X PRIZE will be finished by summer, developers said on Thursday.
- Putin Calls for Space Launch Development Strategy RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Thursday a national strategy was needed for the development of the country's space launch centers.
- Russia Looks for Commercial Space Projects RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2012 -- Russia needs to invigorate its efforts to implement commercial space projects jointly with the European Space Agency and individual space powers, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Thursday.
- Putin Calls For Unity In Final Address To Parliament RFE/RL 11 Apr 2012 -- Russian President-elect Vladimir Putin has called on all political forces to work together for the country's good after what he called the "political battles" following parliamentary and presidential elections.
- Russian Planes Spotted over Japanese Destroyer RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- Two Russian anti-submarine aircraft have flown over a Japanese destroyer preparing to shoot down a North Korean rocket if it passes over Japan's territory, a Japanese TV channel reported on Wednesday, citing the country's Defense Ministry.
- Russia to Admit Foreign Investors to Defense Asset Sales - Putin RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- Foreign investors will be eligible to bid for stakes in enterprises of Russia's defense industry but the process will be controlled by the government, president-elect Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
- Putin Sets April 15 Deadline for Defense Order RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister and president-elect Vladimir Putin on Wednesday ordered that 2012 state arms procurement contracts be placed before April 15.
- Putin's Parliament Report Prompts Walkout - Wrap RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- Prime Minister and president-elect Vladimir Putin tried to avoid politics in his final report to the State Duma on Wednesday, but his speech resulted in dozens of opposition lawmakers walking out.
- NATO Dismisses 'Russian Base' Talk RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- There is no question of setting up a NATO base in Russia, the director of the NATO information bureau in Moscow, Robert Pszel, said on Wednesday.
- Russia to Go Back to the Moon Before Reaching for Mars RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2012 -- Recent setbacks have not stopped the Russian space effort but have drastically modified its plans.
- Russia Tests New Thermobaric Rocket System RIA Novosti 10 Apr 2012 -- Russia has tested a new thermobaric rocket for its TOS-1 Buratino and TOS-1A Soltsepek multiple launch rocket systems, the Izvestia daily reported on Tuesday.
- Defense Ministry Seeks $9.2 Bln More For Housing RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2012 -- Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov has asked Finance Minister Anton Siluanov to increase budget expenditures on housing for the military fourfold to over $12 billion, the Kommersant business daily reported on Monday.
- Russian Helicopters 2011 Profit Up 13% to $230 Mln RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2012 -- Russian Helicopters, which designs and manufactures civil and military rotorcraft, saw its 2011 IFRS net profit rise 12.7 percent year on year to 7 billion rubles ($233 million), the company said on Monday.
- S-400 Missiles Deployed in Russia's Baltic Fleet RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2012 -- Russia has deployed a battalion of S-400 Triumph air defense missile systems at a Baltic Fleet base in the exclave of Kaliningrad, the Izvestia daily reported on Monday.
- Russian Warship Patrols Syrian Waters RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2012 -- A Russian guided-missile destroyer that called in the Syrian port of Tartus last week left it to carry out unspecified tasks near the country's shores, a military-diplomatic source said on Monday.
- Russian Missile Maker to Build New Plant in 2015 RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2012 -- Russian missile manufacturer Almaz Antei will build a new air defense systems plant in the Nizhny Novgorod region by 2015, regional industry minister Vladimir Nefyodov said on Monday.
- Russian Inspectors Begin Surveillance Flight Over U.S. RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2012 -- A group of Russian military observers begin on Sunday a nine-day inspection mission in the skies of the United States under the Open Skies Treaty.
- Russia to Conduct Inspection Mission Over the United States RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- A group of Russian military observers will carry out an inspection mission over the United States under the Open Skies Treaty on April 8-16, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russian Military Satellite Falls in Pacific RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2012 -- Fragments of a defunct Russian military communication satellite, Molniya-1-89, fell into the Pacific Ocean on Saturday night, a source from the space agency said.
- Russia Smooths Ties With Kyrgyzstan RFE/RL 06 Apr 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov visited Kyrgyzstan on April 4-5 to get relations between Moscow and Bishkek back on track.
- Russian Pacific Fleet Task Force to Visit Vietnam RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- A Pacific Fleet task force led by the Admiral Tributs destroyer will pay a visit to Vietnam.
- Deputy FM Grushko to Become NATO Envoy - Source RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Grushko will be appointed Russia's next ambassador to NATO.
- Russian Military Satellite to Splash Down in Pacific RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- A defunct Russian military communication satellite, Molniya-1-89, is expected to fall Saturday morning in the Pacific Ocean.
- Roscosmos, ESA Agree Joint Mars Research RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s space agency Roscosmos said it agreed Russia’s participation in a Mars research project with the European Space Agency.
- Russian Ship to Hold Drills Off Syria RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- A Russian warship will dock at the Syrian port of Tartus before planned exercises off the country's Mediterranean coast.
- Russian Military Police to Be Set Up ‘in Two Stages’ RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s military police will be instituted in two stages.
- Russia to Upgrade Two Warships for Algerian Navy RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Severnaya Verf shipyard in St. Petersburg has signed a contract on the overhaul of two warships for the Algerian navy.
- Russia Plans to Spend $44 billion on Arctic Projects Until 2020 RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- Russia intends to spend around 1.3 trillion rubles ($44 billion) on economic and social projects in the Arctic until 2020.
- First Spaceport to be Built in Russia RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- The Uniparx Development company said on it was planning to build a spaceport in central Russia near the birthplace of Yury Gagarin.
- Two Moscow Market Bombers Found Guilty of Another Murder RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- A jury at the Moscow City Court found two convicts, serving a life sentence for participating in the 2006 bombing of Moscow's Cherkizovsky Market that killed 14 people, guilty of murdering a Korean citizen.
- Official Says U.S.-Russia ‘Reset’ Holds Challenge, Opportunity AFPS 04 Apr 2012 -- The strategic “reset” of relations between the United States and Russia is gradually bringing results, a senior defense policy expert said.
- Future of US, Russian Short-Range Nuclear Weapons Could Be on Negotiating Table VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- The United States and Russia still have tactical - or short-range - nuclear weapons, most of them located in Europe.
- Russia’s Nuclear Arms Industry Fraud ‘Systemic’ RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Military prosecutors have uncovered schemes to embezzle funds under contracts for modernization of Russia’s nuclear arms complex.
- McFaul Statement on Missile Defense ‘Arrogant’ - Lavrov RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Russian FM Lavrov described as "arrogant" a recent statement by U.S. Ambassador to Moscow McFaul on missile defense.
- Armenia Ready to Provide Site for Russian Radar RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- If Russia fails to agree with Azerbaijan lease of the Gabala missile defense radar, Armenia is ready to provide a site on its territory for construction of the radar.
- Interior Ministry Orders 8 Aerial Drones RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- Russia's Interior Ministry has said it plans to spend up to 120 million rubles ($4 million) to buy eight unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Russia to Consider Sanctions Against U.S. RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Russian government should begin planning economic sanctions against the United States if Washington does not cancel the Jackson-Vanik amendment.
- No Limitations on U.S. Missile Defense: Envoy RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2012 -- The United States will accept no limits on its missile defense plans but will work with Russia in the coming years to assuage Moscow’s concerns over the project, the U.S. envoy to Russia said.
- Three Charged in $6.3 Mln Nuclear Arms Complex Fraud RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2012 -- Three individuals working in Russia's nuclear arms complex face fraud charges over a scheme to embezzle public funds.
- Russia to Send 4 Warships to Joint Drill with China RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2012 -- Four Russian warships, as well as support vessels, warplanes, helicopters and naval infantry, will team up with Chinese naval forces in a joint exercise in April.
- Man Charged with Selling Classified Maps to U.S. RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Prosecutor General’s Office has initiated a criminal case against an ex-serviceman accused of selling classified topographic maps of Russia to the US Defense Department.
- Next Arms Talks Between US, Russia Might Involve Tactical Weapons VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- The New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty deals only with U.S. and Russian long-range nuclear weapons.
- Russian Arms Makers Must Lead Says Deputy PM RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- A new defense agency Russia plans to establish soon will be tasked with creating weapons that outperform foreign models.
- Putin Spokesman Denies National Guard Plans RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russian Prime Minister and president-elect Vladimir Putin has no plans to form any new special service divisions, including so-called national guard.
- Russia's Defense Ministry Wants Strike Drone RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russia’s Defense Ministry has issued a technical specification for development of a strike unmanned air vehicle.
- Russian Military to Use Civilian Planes RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Russia's military-transport aviation will use civilian An-124 Ruslan Condor heavy-lift transport aircraft owned by large carriers, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.
- New French Rebreathers for Russian Navy Divers RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- The Russian Black Sea Fleet is considering replacing Soviet-made underwater breathing equipment used by its combat divers with new French-produced Amphora closed circuit rebreathers.
- Netherlands Identifies Agent of Russian Special Services RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2012 -- Police in the Netherlands arrested employee of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs suspected of taking bribes and transferring classified information to Russian spies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list