Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Russian airborne forces to get state-of-the-art artillery guns in '13 RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2011 -- Russian airborne forces will accept for service new state-of-the-art self-propelled artillery guns in 2013, Lt. Gen. Nikolai Ignatov said on Saturday.
- Russian inspectors to make aerial surveillance flight in US RIA Novosti 30 Jul 2011 -- A group of Russian air inspectors will make an aerial observation flight over the territory of the United States in line with the Open Skies Treaty, Russia's Defense Ministry said on Saturday.
- U.S.-Russia 'Reset' Faces Biggest Challenge RFE/RL 29 Jul 2011 -- The White House touts its "reset" policy toward Russia as one of its key diplomatic successes. But the Russian authorities were caught off-guard when Washington quietly barred some of their officials from traveling to the United States this week, a move that threatens to undo some of the gains Washington has made boosting ties with Moscow.
- Russian Black Sea Fleet to receive 6 new diesel subs RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Black Sea Fleet will be strengthened with six Kilo class diesel-electric submarines in the next few years, Navy Commander Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Friday.
- Russian Navy to commission 8 Graney class nuclear subs by 2020 RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2011 -- The Russian Navy will receive at least eight Graney class nuclear-powered attack submarines in the next decade, Navy chief Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Friday.
- Russia against U.S. missile shield elements in Black Sea RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2011 -- Russia is opposed to deploying sea-based missiles and radars of the planned U.S. missile shield in Europe in Black Sea region.
- Russia's Arctic force may include paratroopers RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2011 -- Units of the Russian Airborne Troops may be deployed in the Arctic as part of a permanent multi-branch contingent in the region.
- Russian radio telescope makes first loop around Earth RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Spectr-R spacecraft with a powerful radio telescope passed the lowest point of its highly elliptical orbit for the first time.
- Rogozin on Russia-U.S relations RIA Novosti 27 Jul 2011 -- Rogozin: Russia must ensure the protection of its interests in case if radical Republicans come to power in the United States after the upcoming elections.
- Caspian Sea States On Course For Naval Arms Race RFE/RL 27 Jul 2011 -- Earlier this month, representatives of the countries that surround the Caspian Sea met in Moscow to discuss divvying up its ample natural resources.
- Russia test fires Sineva missile in Barents Sea RIA Novosti 27 Jul 2011 -- Russia successfully test fired a Sineva submarine launched ballistic missile in the Barents Sea.
- Russian fifth-generation fighter to make first public flight RIA Novosti 27 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi T-50 fifth-generation fighter, also known as PAK-FA, will perform its first public flight at MAKS-2011.
- Putin urges prompt completion of 2011 state defense order RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2011 -- Russian PM Putin ordered to complete promptly the remaining 30% of contracts under the 2011 state arms procurement program.
- Russia, Azerbaijan Renegotiate Radar Station Lease RFE/RL 26 Jul 2011 -- Russian officials are in Baku to discuss the renewal of Moscow's lease for Azerbaijan's Qabala radar station.
- Russia, U.S. to hold nuclear security drills in August RIA Novosti 26 Jul 2011 -- Russia and the United States will hold joint nuclear security drills under the auspices of the bilateral military cooperation committee.
- Helicopter crashes in Russia's Far East; 4 people dead, 2 injured RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2011 -- Four people were killed and two injured after a Mi-8 helicopter crashed in Kamchatka, in Russia's Far East.
- Russian shipyard under scrutiny for misuse of defense order funds RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2011 -- Police in St. Petersburg have launched a criminal probe into activities of the management of the Severnaya Verf shipyard.
- Air Force officer gets suspended sentence over MiG-31 crash RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2011 -- A court martial in northern Russia’s Arkhangelsk has given a two-year suspended jail sentence to an Air Force officer.
- Russia's 2012 presidency scheduled for March 4 RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2011 -- Russia's 2012 presidential elections will be held on March 4, Central Election Committee member Maya Grishina said.
- Panetta, Serdyukov discuss missile shield RIA Novosti 20 Jul 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov and his U.S. counterpart Leon Panetta have discussed issues of international security.
- Suspects in 2010 south Russia power plant blasts to go trial RIA Novosti 20 Jul 2011 -- Two people suspected of involvement in a 2010 terrorist attack on a power plant in southern Russia will go on trial.
- Russian military to introduce 'virtual battlefield' training by 2013 RIA Novosti 20 Jul 2011 -- The Russian military intends to move towards "virtual battlefield" military training by 2013.
- EU approves new nuclear waste storage regulations RIA Novosti 20 Jul 2011 -- The EU Council of Ministers has approved new regulations for nuclear waste management.
- Russia, Britain plan to improve military ties RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2011 -- Russia and Britain are planning to expand significantly their bilateral military cooperation after a long period of strained relations.
- Tajik-Russian Military Talks Fail To Yield Agreement RFE/RL 19 Jul 2011 -- Tajik Foreign Minister Hamrokhon Zarifi says Tajikistan and Russia have not yet agreed on the continued presence of a Russian military base and use of an air base in Tajikistan.
- FSB Head Claims Planned Terrorist Attack In Moscow Thwarted RFE/RL 19 Jul 2011 -- Federal Security Service director Aleksandr Bortnikov: Four men planning a terrorist attack on transport infrastructure.
- U.S. Promotes New Plan To Battle Drug Trade RFE/RL 19 Jul 2011 -- Counternarcotics officials in Washington have unveiled a plan to help combat the flow of drugs from Afghanistan, through Central Asia, and into Russia.
- At least one dead as Mi-8 chopper crash lands in Russia's Urals RIA Novosti 19 Jul 2011 -- A Mi-8 helicopter crash landed in Russia's Urals on Tuesday, killing at least one person.
- FSB Says 'Major' Terror Attack Averted In Moscow RFE/RL 18 Jul 2011 -- Top security official says authorities have detained four men from the North Caucasus planning a "large terrorist attack" in or near Moscow.
- FSB heads off terrorist bomb attack in Moscow region RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- Russia’s security service arrested four suspected terrorists from the North Caucasus who were preparing a bomb attack.
- Tajikistan repeats call for Russia to pay for military base RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- Dushanbe reiterated that Russia should pay rent for its military base in Tajikistan, a request that has been rejected by Moscow.
- Irkut to supply 40 Su-30 fighters to Russian Air Force RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Irkut aircraft holding in talks on the delivery of up to 40 Sukhoi Su-30 multirole fighters to the Russian Air Force.
- Russian Navy to receive new air defense system RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- The Russian Navy will soon receive a new ship-based gun/missile air defense system, KBP Instrument Design Bureau.
- Russian police arrest businessman in nuclear cruiser scam RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- Police in northern Russia have detained a businessman suspected of swindling the Defense Ministry through an illegal contract on repairs of the Pyotr Veliky cruiser.
- Russia vows not to exploit manned space flight monopoly RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2011 -- Russia will not take advantage of its temporary monopoly on flying astronauts to the International Space Station.
- Russia launches 2 foreign satellites into orbit RIA Novosti 16 Jul 2011 -- Russia launched early on Saturday a Proton-M rocket carrying a Kazakh and a U.S. communications satellites from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan, Russian Space Agency Roscosmos said.
- Russia urges U.S. to cancel Cold War-era anti-communism law RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2011 -- Moscow criticized Washington for retaining a Cold War-era law on "captive nations."
- Russia, NATO end talks on sectoral missile defense - source RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2011 -- The subject of the so-called sectoral missile defense has been taken off the agenda of Russian-NATO negotiations.
- Medvedev fires electronic warfare boss as more generals axed RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2011 -- President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked a number of generals, including the head of the services’ electronic warfare branch.
- Fire, blasts rock military unit near central Moscow RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2011 -- A fire broke out at a military base near central Moscow on Friday, accompanied by a series of explosions.
- Too many subcontractors cause overpriced weapons RIA Novosti 14 Jul 2011 -- The overpricing of military equipment has been caused by the excessive number of subcontractors in the Russian defense industry.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergey Lavrov After their Meeting US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2011
- European missile defense stalls Russia-NATO cooperation RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2011 -- The possible deployment of a NATO missile defense shield in Europe is the only disputable point between Russia and NATO.
- Medvedev tells Defense Ministry to shop abroad for cheaper weapons RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Defense Ministry can buy foreign military equipment if domestically produced gear is overpriced.
- Russian research vessel begins Arctic shelf research RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2011 -- Members of the expedition on the research vessel Akademik Fyodorov have begun seismic studies in the area north of Franz Josef Land.
- Russian research vessel begins Arctic shelf research RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2011 -- A Russian Mi-8 helicopter crash landed in the northern Komi Republic with no casualties.
- Medvedev pushes for An-24 flight ban after fatal ditching RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2011 -- Soviet-built Antonov An-24 turboprop airliners should be permanently grounded, President Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Death toll from Siberian plane crash drops to 6 RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2011 -- The death toll from plane crash in Siberia lowered to six from seven after a man who was believed to have been killed proved to be unharmed.
- Too Special A Friendship: Is Germany Questioning Russia's Embrace? RFE/RL 11 Jul 2011 -- Temperatures were approaching freezing last November when a stern Vladimir Putin delivered a trademark tirade at a business forum in Berlin's venerably posh Hotel Adlon, steps from the Brandenburg Gate.
- Russia charges Chinese man with smuggling military equipment RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2011 -- Customs authorities in Russia's Far East have launched a criminal case against a Chinese citizen who attempted to smuggle spare parts for Russian MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters.
- Russian defense minister lashes out at missile designer RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2011 -- Russian Defense Minister Serdyukov has accused leading missile designer Solomonov of having a grudge against the ministry.
- Storm shuts down nuclear reactor in central Russia RIA Novosti 08 Jul 2011 -- A powerful thunderstorm forced the shutdown of one of the reactors at the Balakovskaya nuclear power plant in central Russia.
- Reset in Russia-U.S. relations 'working out' - Lavrov RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2011 -- The reset in Russia-U.S. relations is bearing good fruit, but several disputable points are still eclipsing bilateral ties.
- All contracts on Russia's 2012 defense order to be signed by yearend RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2011 -- Defense Minister Serdyukov: All contracts on Russia's 2012 state defense order will be signed by the end of this year.
- Russian Defense Ministry ready to install military police to tackle hazing RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2011 -- Russia's Defense Ministry promised to introduce a special military police division to uproot hazing practices and thefts.
- Tu-154 passenger jet makes emergency landing in Russia's Dagestan RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2011 -- A Russian Tupolev Tu-154 passenger jet with 165 people on board has made a safe emergency landing.
- Russia, NATO must settle 'missile shield' issue soon RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- Russia and NATO still have time to resolve the controversy over the future European missile defense network.
- Russia to Spend $730 Billion on New Weapons VOA 06 Jul 2011 -- Russian PM Putin has announced his government plans to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on weapons modernization by 2020.
- Medvedev demands clarity on arms procurement RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev ordered Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov to submit report on the implementation of defense orders.
- Russia to file proposal to UN in 2012 for Arctic shelf borders extension RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- Russia is planning to file a proposal a UN Commission in 2012 to expand its Arctic shelf borders.
- Russia concerned by NATO, Asian states' activities in Arctic RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- Russia's economic interests are threatened by the activities of NATO and a number of Asian countries in the Arctic.
- Georgia jails Russians on spy charges RIA Novosti 06 Jul 2011 -- A court in Georgia jailed nine people on Wednesday, including four Russians, on espionage charges.
- Speech by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen: "Russia and NATO: so much to gain" NATO 05 Jul 2011
- NATO Secretary General stresses Russia cooperation in St Petersburg NATO 05 Jul 2011 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen stressed the importance of developing cooperation with Russia.
- Russia's threats to create new offensive system 'unnecessary' - NATO chief RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- NATO secretary general: Russia should not seek new weapons to counter nonexistent threats from the West.
- Senior Russian army officers resign over military reforms - paper RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- Several influential members of the top brass have resigned due to differences with the head of Russia's General Staff.
- Russian military exposes another extortion case RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- Internal security officers in Russia's Black Sea Fleet have uncovered an extortion scheme organized by officers in a naval aviation unit.
- Russia sends 2nd expedition to support its Arctic claims RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- Nuclear-powered icebreaker Rossiya will leave the port of Murmansk to accompany research vessel Academician Fyodorov.
- No deaths in Siberian copter crash - Emergencies ministry RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- No deaths were reported in an Mi-8 helicopter crash in the Russian Eastern Siberian Irkutsk region.
- Russia set to scrap Tu-134 planes RIA Novosti 05 Jul 2011 -- Russian airliners want to remove Tu-134 aircraft from service instead of equipping them with new safety systems.
- Press conference by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in his capacity as NRC Chairman, after the Informal morning session of the NATO-Russia Council in Sochi, Russian Federation NATO 04 Jul 2011
- NATO-Russia Council makes progress in Sochi NATO 04 Jul 2011 -- The 29 nations of the NATO-Russia Council restated their commitment to pursuing cooperation on missile defence as well as other security areas of common interest.
- Russia admits no chance of sectoral missile defense with NATO RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2011 -- Russia and NATO cannot agree on the establishment of a so-called sectoral missile defense system in Europe.
- Rasmussen says Russia, NATO can cooperate on anti-missile shield RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2011 -- NATO is ready to cooperate with Russia on the anti-missile shield issue but there is much to be resolved.
- Lavrov hopes summit to confirm strategic partnership between Russia, NATO RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2011 -- Moscow is counting on the reinforcement in the common focus of a true strategic partnership during NATO-Russia Council meeting.
- Russia to show its bomb detection technologies at NATO meeting in Sochi RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2011 -- Russia will showcase its explosives detection technologies at an offsite session of the Russia-NATO council.
- Russia set to take part in new Indian submarine tender RIA Novosti 02 Jul 2011 -- Russia will participate in a new tender on the delivery of six diesel-electric submarines for the Indian Navy, the state-run exporter Rosoboronexport said.
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery RIA Novosti 02 Jul 2011 -- Russia is not going to meet the deadlines in the implementation of a contract on the delivery of missile frigates to the Indian Navy, the state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said.
- Russia to start supplying submarines in Vietnam in 2014 RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia will start supplying Kilo class diesel submarines to Vietnam in 2014, a representative of state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Friday.
- Bulava missile to go into serial production - Defense Minister RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia's troubled Bulava submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) will go into serial production, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russia to create Arctic troops - defense minister RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia will deploy troops in the north to defend its interests in the Arctic region, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russian Armed Forces to stand at million servicemen RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- The number of personnel in the Russian Armed Forces will stand at one million servicemen and will not be downsized further, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- Russian experts to study Mistral-class warship maintenance in France RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Some 70 Russian military specialists will learn the operation and maintenance of Mistral-class helicopter carriers in France, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Friday.
- India to get Russian Nerpa submarine by yearend RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2011 -- Russia will transfer the K-152 Nerpa attack submarine to India on a 10-year lease by the end of 2011, Navy commander Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky said on Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list