Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- European Court Rules That Khodorkovsky's Rights Were Violated RFE/RL 31 May 2011 -- The European Court of Human Rights has found Russian authorities guilty of violating the rights of Mikhail Khodorkovsky, but ruled it had no proof the former oil tycoon's jailing on fraud and tax-evasion charges was politically motivated.
- Russian sub joins NATO exercise for first time RIA Novosti 31 May 2011 -- A Russian Black Sea Fleet task force led by a submarine is taking part in NATO naval drills off the coast of Spain, the Russian Defense Ministry said, the first time a Russian submarine has participated in any NATO exercise.
- Indian Navy gets new MiG-29K carrier-borne fighters IRNA 31 May 2011 -- Indian naval aviation has acquired new teeth with induction of nine MiG-29K carrier-borne fighter jets from Russia with an extended range of 3,000 kms and capable of firing air-to-air and air-to-sea missiles.
- Russia delivers another batch of naval fighters to India RIA Novosti 31 May 2011 -- Russia's MiG aircraft maker delivered a new batch of five MiG-29K/KUB carrier-based fighters to the Indian navy in May, the company said.
- Obama invites Russia to participate in missile defense plans in Europe RIA Novosti 28 May 2011 -- The United States President Barack Obama during his visit to Poland has invited Moscow to participate in missile defense plans in Europe, world media reported.
- Lavrov reiterates Russian position against UN Security Council resolution on Syria RIA Novosti 28 May 2011 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov reiterated Russian position against a United Nations Security Council resolution on Syria, the ministry said in a statement.
- 50 people return home after ammunition depot fire in Urals RIA Novosti 28 May 2011 -- Fifty people have returned to their undamaged houses in a Urals village after fire brigades put out conflagration at a local ammunition depot, a spokesman for the emergencies services said on Saturday.
- Russia, U.S. unlikely to agree on MD by end of Obama's tenure RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- Russia and the US are unlikely to agree on the missile defense issue by the end of U.S. President Barack Obama's term.
- Medvedev says Russia, U.S. 'losing time' on missile defense RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev expressed his dissatisfaction with how the negotiations with the US on the missile defense are continuing.
- Russia, U.S. fail to agree on missile defense guarantees RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- Russia and the US have failed to agree a final draft on legally binding guarantees on missile defense.
- How one conscript cost Russia $3.5 million RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- Private Sergei Denyayev could hardly have imagined that by the end of the week he would be facing two years in prison after making 116 homeless.
- Soldier charged over Russian Urals arms depot fire RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- A soldier is facing criminal charges over a fire at an ammunition depot at a military base in the Russian Urals.
- Russian paratroopers receive chapel on wheels RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- The Russian Orthodox Church has given the country's Airborne Troops a mobile chapel to accompany them.
- Russia 'lacks personnel to dismantle nuclear sites' RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- Russia is experiencing an acute shortage of personnel to ensure the decommissioning and dismantling of nuclear facilities.
- G8 backs Russia's WTO bid - Sarkozy RIA Novosti 27 May 2011 -- The G8 countries completely support Russia's WTO bid and see no impediments to it, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Friday.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Medvedev of Russia after Bilateral Meeting in Deauville, France The White House 26 May 2011
- FACT SHEET: U.S.-Russia Agreements and Joint Statements The White House 26 May 2011
- Joint Statement of the Presidents of the United States of America and the Russian Federation on Counterterrorism Cooperation The White House 26 May 2011
- Joint Statement on the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict by President of the Russian Federation Medvedev, President of the United States of America Obama The White House 26 May 2011
- Joint Statement of the President of the United States of America and the President of the Russian Federation on Cooperation in the Bering Strait Region The White House 26 May 2011
- Joint Statement by the Presidents the United States of America and of the Russian Federation Regarding Cooperation on Visa Issues The White House 26 May 2011
- Medvedev, Obama discuss missile defense, visas, terrorism at G8 summit RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama agreed to continue joint work.
- Reset in U.S.-Russian Relations Paying Off, Obama Says AFPS 26 May 2011 -- The reset in U.S.-Russian relations is paying off with progress on the security and economic fronts, the U.S. and Russian presidents said in Deauville, France today.
- Russian, U.S. military improve cooperation - report RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- U.S.-Russian presidential commission: Bilateral military cooperation had improved lately as part of the "reset" in relations between the two countries.
- Obama: U.S., Russia To Work On Missile Defense RFE/RL 26 May 2011 -- President Barack Obama has said the US and Russia are committed to a planned European-based U.S. missile shield.
- Russia, U.S. may agree on European missile shield by 2020 - Medvedev RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev: Russia and the US have until 2020 to reach agreement on a missile shield.
- U.S. puts Chechen militant leader Doku Umarov on wanted list RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- The US announced that it added Russia's most wanted terrorist Doku Umarov to the Rewards for Justice program.
- U.S. Secretary of State puts Caucasus Emirate on terrorist group list RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- The U.S. Department of State has put North Caucasus-based Caucasus Emirate on its official list of terrorist groups.
- France, Russia to sign warship deal before Putin's June visit - Sarkozy RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- France and Russia should sign a contract on four Mistral class helicopter carriers for Russia before June 21.
- Russia, France agree to sign Mistral contract in 15 days RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev and his French counterpart, Nicolas Sarkozy, agreed that a contract on the purchase of Mistral class helicopter carriers for Russia will be signed in 15 days.
- Russian shipyard lays down new corvette RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- St. Petersburg's Severnaya Verf shipyard on Thursday started construction of a new corvette for the Russian Navy.
- Russian finance minister denies seeking military personnel cuts RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- Russian Finance Minister Alexei Kudrin denied that his ministry had proposed cutting military personnel as a government spending reduction measure.
- Thousands Evacuated After Fire At Russian Military Base RFE/RL 26 May 2011 -- Thousands of local residents have been evacuated after a fire at an ammunition depot in Russia's Republic of Bashkortostan.
- Urals village evacuated amid ammunition depot fire RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- About 2,500 people were evacuated on Thursday from the Urals village of Urman following a fire at an ammunition depot.
- U.S. lifts Rosatom American market restrictions RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- The US Commerce Dept. removed the Russian Rosatom from list of restricted companies requiring special licensing.
- Russia Faces off with U.S. over MD KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Russia is taking active measures against the U.S. threat to his country.
- Russia Plans to Develop New Type Interceptor Missile System KCNA 25 May 2011 -- Russia plans to develop a new type mobile interceptor missile system in the near future to cope with the threat from space.
- Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile Launched in Russia KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The Russian Navy succeeded in launching inter-continental ballistic missile Sineva in the waters of the Barents Sea on May 20.
- EU foreign policy chief blasts new Khodorkovsky verdict RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton"deeply disappointed" by the decision to uphold verdict in Khodorkovsky-Lebedev case.
- Russia rejects labeling of Khodorkovsky as 'prisoner of conscience' RIA Novosti 25 May 2011 -- The Russian FM criticized Amnesty International's labeling Mikhail Khodorkovsky as a "prisoner of conscience".
- Amnesty Recognizes Khodorkovsky, Lebedev As 'Prisoners Of Conscience' RFE/RL 25 May 2011 -- Amnesty International has recognized Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Platon Lebedev as prisoners of conscience.
- Russian air force denies firing pilot over wavering plane incident RIA Novosti 24 May 2011 -- The Russian Air Force denied media reports that it fired a pilot after videos of him losing control of a military aircraft posted.
- Khodorkovsky, Lebedev to get out of prison in 2016 RIA Novosti 24 May 2011 -- The Moscow City Court ruled that jailed former Yukos CEO Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his partner Platon Lebedev would be set free in 2016.
- Khodorkovsky, Lebedev Seek To Overturn Second Jail Sentence RFE/RL 24 May 2011 -- A Moscow Court has upheld the fraud conviction of jailed oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his former business partner Platon Lebedev.
- Prosecutor says no grounds to reduce terms for Khodorkovsky, Lebedev RIA Novosti 24 May 2011 -- A prosecutor for the Russian government said there were no grounds for reducing the sentences of jailed former oil tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his business partner Platon Lebedev.
- Russia opens negligence case over loss of Glonass satellites RIA Novosti 23 May 2011 -- Russian prosecutors have opened a criminal case on charges of negligence that led to the loss of three Glonass satellites last year, the Prosecutor General's Office said on Monday.
- Russian troops fed dog food 'to cover up for theft' - prosecutor RIA Novosti 23 May 2011 -- Troops in Russia's Far East were fed dog food to cover up for the theft of thousands of dollars worth of food, military prosecutors said on Monday.
- Russian task force returns home after anti-piracy mission RIA Novosti 21 May 2011 -- The Russian Pacific Fleet's task force led by the Admiral Vinogradov destroyer will arrive on Saturday in the Far Eastern port of Vladivostok after a successful anti-piracy mission off the Somali coast.
- U.S. missile defense in Europe 'real threat' to Russia - General Staff RIA Novosti 20 May 2011 -- U.S. plans for a missile defense system in Europe will pose a genuine threat to Russia's nuclear deterrence capability if they are carried out in full, a General Staff official said on Friday.
- Amnesty International Says Khodorkovsky Not A 'Prisoner Of Conscience' RFE/RL 20 May 2011 -- Amnesty International has ruled not to recognize former Russian oil-tycoon Mikhail Khodorkovsky and his associate Platon Lebedev as prisoners of conscience, RFE/RL's Russian Service reports.
- Russia Attaches Strings To $3 Billion Loan Offer To Belarus RFE/RL 20 May 2011 -- Russia has offered Belarus a desperately needed $3 billion loan, with significant conditions attached, amid talks between President Alyaksandr Lukashenka and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
- More Questions Than Answers At Russian President's Press Conference RFE/RL 19 May 2011 -- In a 2 1/2-hour press conference on May 18, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev fielded 34 questions. But observers say that he answered very few of them.
- Moscow confirms Israeli military attache expelled for spying RIA Novosti 19 May 2011 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday Israeli military attache Col. Vadim Leiderman was caught receiving secret information from a Russian national on May 12 and expelled from the country.
- Hopes High For Belarusian Bailout During Putin Visit RFE/RL 19 May 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is in Minsk for a visit that could result in a bailout loan deal for Belarus, which is battling a crippling economic crisis.
- Russia to enhance strike potential if missile cooperation with NATO fails RIA Novosti 18 May 2011 -- Russia will boost its strike nuclear capabilities if NATO refuses to cooperate with Moscow in the European missile defense project, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said on Wednesday.
- Russian foreign intelligence chief holds talks with Kim Jong-il RIA Novosti 18 May 2011 -- A delegation of Russian diplomats led by Foreign Intelligence Service head Mikhail Fradkov held talks on Tuesday with North Korean leader Kim Jong-il in Pyongyang, the Korean Central News Agency said.
- Russian high-ranking officials sacked over state defense order RIA Novosti 17 May 2011 -- The Russian government has dismissed a number of military and defense industry officials for their poor performances in implementing the country's ambitious arms procurement program in 2010, the Kremlin said on Tuesday.
- Missile defense cooperation best way to ease Russia's concerns - U.S. official RIA Novosti 17 May 2011 -- Moscow's participation in the European missile defense is the best way to ease Russia's concern about the project, a high-ranking U.S. Department of State official told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
- Shipyard workers call for end to 'scapegoat' court martial in Nerpa case RIA Novosti 16 May 2011 -- Russian naval dockyard workers are demanding that negligence charges be dropped against the captain of a Russian nuclear submarine in which 20 crew members died in an accident three years ago.
- Russian warship to visit Singapore, Indonesia RIA Novosti 16 May 2011 -- Russian Pacific Fleet's destroyer Admiral Panteleyev will visit Singapore and Indonesia on May 16-27 to take part in IMDEX-2011 naval exhibition and hold joint drills with the Indonesian navy.
- Europe missile shield must be safe for Russia - Medvedev RIA Novosti 14 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev sent a letter to the Russia-NATO Council asking for guarantees that the European missile defense project would be safe for Russia, the Kremlin press service said on Saturday.
- New Russian radar to be tested near Kaliningrad by end of 2011 RIA Novosti 14 May 2011 -- Russia's Space Forces commander said on Saturday that a new radar being built near the Baltic port of Kaliningrad would be tested by the end of the year.
- Russia may take action over U.S. missile shield RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- Russia's deputy defense minister has said action could be taken if the US deploys its new missile defense system near Russia's borders.
- Missile defense talks with U.S. 'difficult' - Russian FM RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- Missile defense talks between Moscow and Washington are going through a complicated phase.
- Bulava launches to resume mid-June RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry said it has scheduled a new round of test launches of its troubled Bulava missile for mid-June.
- Russia to deploy 2nd S-400 air defense regiment near Moscow RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- A second regiment equipped with advanced S-400 Triumf air defense systems will be put on combat duty on May 15.
- Russia sends destroyer to protect shipping off Somali coast RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- A Russian task force led by Northern Fleet's destroyer Severomorsk will start patrolling waters in the Gulf of Aden in June.
- Russia to heed WWII views in foreign policy RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- Russia will take into account acts of disrespect towards Soviet World War II victims when deciding its foreign policy with its neighbors, President Dmitry Medvedev.
- Medvedev calls for equal access to state media for parties RIA Novosti 13 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev demanded that regional election commissions provide political parties with equal access to airtime in state media.
- Rasmussen calls for NATO, Russia to 'build security together' RIA Novosti 12 May 2011 -- NATO General Secretary Anders Fogh Rasmussen stressed the importance of cooperation with Russia on a European missile defense shield.
- Russia Courts Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia VOA 12 May 2011 -- With the death of Osama bin Laden, Russia is reaching out to Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia in an effort to keep Islamic radicalism out of Russia’s southern flank.
- United Russia, Putin Prepare For National Elections RFE/RL 12 May 2011 -- The contours of Russia's next election season are becoming clearer.
- Medvedev says political competition vital for Russia RIA Novosti 12 May 2011 -- Competition is vital for the country's political stability and no one party can claim a dominant role.
- Russian Helicopters maintains IPO hopes RIA Novosti 12 May 2011 -- Russian Helicopters, which on Wednesday postponed its Initial Public Offering plans indefinitely, says it has not abandoned the idea altogether.
- US admin. optimistic about CTBT ratification RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- Senate debates on the US-Russian New START have paved the way for the future ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
- Assistant secretary of defense talks nuclear deterrence, treaties AFNS 11 May 2011 -- Defense official visited Airmen responsible for maintaining and protecting America's nuclear deterrent.
- Rasmussen: "NATO and Russia: why cooperation counts" NATO 11 May 2011
- Israel's U.S. envoy urges Russia to cut arms supplies to Mideast RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- Israeli Ambassador to Washington Michael Oren called on Russia via the Russian Jewish Congress to restrict weapons supplies to Syria and Iran.
- Russia, Norway to begin naval drills RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- Russia and Norway will begin a joint large-scale naval exercise, Pomor-2011, on Wednesday.
- Medvedev orders embassies to be on guard after Bin Laden killing RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- President Medvedev instructed Russian embassies to be prepared for emergencies including terror attacks.
- Russian warships complete visit to Vietnam, head to Vladivostok RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- A Pacific Fleet task force led by the Admiral Vinogradov destroyer has completed a friendly visit to Vietnam.
- Russian Helicopters suspends $500 mln IPO indefinitely RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- Russian Helicopters has indefinitely suspended an initial public offering.
- Russia ready to intensify military cooperation with Iraq - Lavrov RIA Novosti 10 May 2011 -- Russia is ready to strengthen military-technical cooperation with Iraq, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Russian defense industry needs investment RIA Novosti 10 May 2011 -- Russian President Medvedevurged the government to come up with ideas on how to boost the flow of investment to the national defense industry.
- Three million people celebrated Victory Day in Moscow - police RIA Novosti 10 May 2011 -- Some 3,000,000 people took part in World War II victory day celebrations in Moscow.
- President Medvedev says 'our duty is to safeguard peace' RIA Novosti 09 May 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev: Our duty is to safeguard peace achieved by the victory in the 1941-45 war against Nazi Germany.
- Victory Day parade held on Moscow's Red Square RIA Novosti 09 May 2011 -- A military parade dedicated to the 66th anniversary of the Soviet victory over Nazi Germany in the 1941-45 Great Patriotic War launched.
- Russia's 17-Year Bid To Join The WTO Faces One Last Hurdle RFE/RL 09 May 2011 -- Russia's tortured 17-year journey toward accession to the World Trade Organization (WTO) seems to be nearing its end.
- United States unfolding missile defense in Europe de facto - Rogozin RIA Novosti 06 May 2011 -- The United States is already deploying its missile defense system in Europe without waiting for an agreement with Russia, Russia's envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said.
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills next week RIA Novosti 06 May 2011 -- Russia and Norway will hold large-scale naval exercise Pomor 2011 on May 11-16, a spokesman for Russia's Northern Fleet said on Friday.
- Mistral talks stumble over sensitive technology RIA Novosti 06 May 2011 -- Talks between Russia and France on the purchase of Mistral class helicopter carriers have come to a dead end over Russia's demands on the transfer and licensed production of sensitive electronics, a Russian defense industry source said on Friday.
- Russia orbits military communications satellite RIA Novosti 05 May 2011 -- A Russian Meridian series military communications satellite has been put into a designated orbit, a spokesman for the Russian Space Forces said on Thursday.
- Russia ready to discuss all European missile defense proposals RIA Novosti 04 May 2011 -- Russia is ready to discuss all proposals on the European missile shield, the chief of Russian General Staff, Army Gen. Nikolai Makarov said after a Russia-NATO council meeting on Wednesday.
- Russia may counter U.S.-Romanian missile shield deal - lawmaker RIA Novosti 04 May 2011 -- Romania and the United States should expect counter measures from Russia in response to a missile shield agreement, a senior Russian lawmaker said on Wednesday.
- Russia military probes loss of control in passenger jet RIA Novosti 04 May 2011 -- Russian military prosecutors have launched a probe after a military passenger plane experienced a severe loss of control shortly after takeoff last week.
- Medvedev passes law to boost anti-terrorism measures RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev signed into law on Tuesday a bill that grants him authority to impose additional security measures in the event of an increased terrorism threat.
- Russia begins test flights of Su-35S series fighter RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- Russia's Sukhoi aircraft manufacturer has started test flights of its first series-produced Su-35S Flanker-E multirole fighter, the company said on Tuesday.
- Russia to appoint new team of Mistral deal negotiators RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- The Russian Defense Ministry will appoint a new team of negotiators to a possible $1.5 billion deal to buy Mistral-class helicopter carriers from France, a ministry source told RIA Novosti on Tuesday.
- Russia, NATO to sign consolidated glossary of cooperation in Brussels RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- Chief of the Russian General Staff Gen. Nikolai Makarov and NATO Military Committee Chairman Admiral Giampaolo Di Paola will sign the NATO-Russia Council's Consolidated Glossary of Cooperation in Brussels on Wednesday, a spokesman for NATO's Military Committee, Massimo Panizza, said.
- Canadian observers begin flights over Russia under Open Skies Treaty RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- A group of Canadian observers will begin a series of inspection flights over Russian territory under the Open Skies Treaty on Tuesday, a spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Russia to deliver 3 combat helicopters to Peru next week RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- The Peruvian Air Force will receive next week three Russian combat helicopters intended for military operations against drugs trafficking and terrorism, Peru's defense minister said.
- Russian Arms-Control Expert Wins Case At Strasbourg Rights Court RFE/RL 03 May 2011 -- One of four Russians freed from prison last year in the biggest East-West 'spy swap' since the Cold War has won his case against the Russian government at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
- FSB charges Russian who betrayed U.S. spy ring RIA Novosti 03 May 2011 -- A former Russian intelligence officer who helped the U.S. authorities uncover a Russian spy ring last summer has been charged with high treason and desertion, the Federal Security Service (FSB) said on Tuesday.
- Russian, U.S. military officials discuss European missile defense in Brussels RIA Novosti 02 May 2011 -- High-ranking Russian and U.S. military officials are meeting at the NATO headquarters in Brussels on Monday to discuss the possibilities for Russian-U.S. cooperation in the creation of the European missile defense network, Russia's envoy to NATO Dmitry Rogozin said.
- Russia doubts statement that NATO not targeting Libya's Gaddafi - Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 01 May 2011 -- Russia doubts the statements by the NATO coalition that NATO airstrikes are not targeting Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list