Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2011 - Russia Special Weapons News
- Putin calls development of space industry Russia's top priority RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2011 -- Development and advancement of the national rocket and space industry is a priority for Russia, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Saturday.
- Moscow keeps tactical nuclear weapons cuts issue low-key - Russian senator RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2011 -- Russia considers the reduction of tactical nuclear weapons, which has been actively promoted by the United States, a low-key issue, senior Russian senator Mikhail Margelov said after talks with top U.S. officials in Washington.
- Russia outlines its vision of European missile shield RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2011 -- Commander of Russian Space Forces Lt. Gen. Ostapenko outlined Russia's proposals for the future European missile defense network.
- Russian space freighter to dock with orbital station on Friday RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2011 -- A Russian cargo spacecraft is scheduled to dock with the International Space Station on Friday evening.
- Popovkin replaces Perminov at Russian space agency RIA Novosti 29 Apr 2011 -- Russian PM Putin appointed former First Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin as head of the Russian space agency Roscosmos.
- U.S. Religious-Freedom Commission Recommends Egypt Be Listed Among Worst Offenders RFE/RL 29 Apr 2011 -- A U.S. government commission has recommended that Egypt be placed on a list of the "worst of the worst" countries for religious freedom.
- Russia successfully tests Sineva SLBM RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2011 -- Russia has successfully test-fired the Sineva submarine-launched ballistic missile from a Delta-IV class submarine.
- Russia may lead global nuclear safety debate - Rosatom RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2011 -- Russia may become the global leader in discussions on safeguards for the atomic energy industry.
- Russia, Sweden to boost space cooperation RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2011 -- Russia and Sweden agreed on to improve cooperation in the space industry, including to launch Swedish satellites using Russian carrier rockets.
- Russian Helicopters buys Ardiden engines for Ka-62 RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2011 -- Russian Helicopters has signed a deal with France's Turbomeca for the delivery of some 308 Ardiden 3G turboshaft engines.
- Moscow court to hear Khodorkovsky appeal in May RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2011 -- The Moscow City Court will hear an appeal against the new jail term handed down to Mikhail Khodorkovsky and Platon Lebedev.
- Medvedev to propose G8 blueprint for greater nuclear safety RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev will present proposals for increased safeguards for nuclear power generation at the G8 summit.
- Russia's Progress M-09M spacecraft to be sunk in Pacific RIA Novosti 26 Apr 2011 -- Russia's Progress M-09M cargo spacecraft will be sunk in the remote area in southern Pacific Ocean.
- Russia prepares to launch space freighter to orbital station RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2011 -- A Soyuz-U carrier rocket with the Progress M-10M cargo spacecraft has been transferred to a launch pad at the Baikonur Space Center.
- Libya seeks Moscow's role in peaceful settlement to conflict - premier RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2011 -- Libya is ready for a political settlement of the armed conflict in the country and wants Moscow to take part in the search for ways to end the conflict peacefully, the Russian Foreign Ministry said on Sunday, referring to Libyan Prime Minister al-Baghdadi Ali al-Mahmoudi.
- Russian Navy will stay in Sevastopol forever - admiral RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2011 -- Russia will never give up its naval base in Ukraine's port of Sevastopol on the Crimean peninsula, ex-commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet Adm. Igor Kasatonov said.
- Ban calls for greater cooperation between UN and Russia on global governance UN News Centre 22 Apr 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today praised the strong partnership between Russia and the United Nations at a meeting with the country's President Dmitry Medvedev and called for even greater cooperation on global governance issues, including climate change and sustainable development.
- U.S. to seek agreement with Russia on tactical nuclear weapons reduction RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2011 -- The U.S. Administration is working intensively to increase transparency on tactical nuclear weapons (TNW) in Europe and secure an agreement with Russia on the reduction of such weapons, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Rose Gottemoeller has said.
- Amid Nuclear Scare, Russia Pushes Ahead With Controversial Floating Reactors RFE/RL 22 Apr 2011 -- The global scare sparked by Japan's nuclear meltdown has prompted many countries to scale down their nuclear programs, putting a damper on the global 'nuclear renaissance' touted by the industry in recent years.
- Ban, Medvedev discuss UN role, Libya RIA Novosti 22 Apr 2011 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev on Friday stressed the need to comply with UN mandates in international operations involving the use of military force.
- Sukhoi Superjet conducts first passenger flight RIA Novosti 21 Apr 2011 -- The Armenian airline Armavia completed the first passenger flight of Russia's newest commercial plane, the Sukhoi Superjet 100, on Thursday.
- Putin: Russia Must Be Strong To Withstand Foreign Threats RFE/RL 20 Apr 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said in his annual address to parliament that Russia must be strong to withstand foreign interference.
- Putin outlines blueprint for stronger Russia RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- Russia needs to be strong and avoid experiments with 'unjustified liberalism' in order to safeguard its sovereignty and prevent outsiders from dictating the country's development, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
- Russia to double ballistic missiles production from 2013 - Putin RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- Russia will double the production of ballistic missile systems from 2013, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said in his annual address to parliament on Wednesday.
- Russia to develop new space rocket by 2015 RIA Novosti 20 Apr 2011 -- Russia is planning to develop a new carrier rocket by 2015 while continuing the work on the Angara family of space boosters, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
- Moscow queries Montenegro's NATO membership plans RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2011 -- NATO expansion to include Montenegro will not make anyone more secure, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday.
- Medvedev sacks Navy admiral responsible for Mistral talks RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked the senior Navy official who was in charge of talks with France over the purchase of Mistral-class warships.
- Lavrov calls for talks on conventional arms control RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2011 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov called on foreign leaders on Friday to begin negotiations on conventional arms control to overcome a stalemate in the sphere.
- Russia floats out 3rd stealth corvette RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2011 -- St. Petersburg's Severnaya Verf shipyard floated out a new corvette for the Russian Navy featuring stealth technology on Friday.
- Russian military to wear berets RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2011 -- Russian troops will be wearing berets for the first time next month as they march in the annual parade to mark victory in World War II.
- Brazil to decide on Russian helicopter supplies by end of month RIA Novosti 14 Apr 2011 -- The Brazilian Defense Ministry will decide by the end of the month whether its contract on the supply of Russian helicopters will be affected by budget cuts.
- Four Russian Soldiers Killed In Military Exercises RFE/RL 14 Apr 2011 -- An explosion at a mobile artillery complex in western Russia has killed four soldiers and severely injured another.
- Russia's Ruling Party Chief Favors Putin for President VOA 14 Apr 2011 -- Russia’s ruling party is signaling that it wants Vladimir Putin to be its candidate for president.
- France agrees to supply full-spec Mistral ships - Defense Ministry RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- France and Russia have agreed that the Mistral-class helicopter carriers France will build for Russia will be fully equipped.
- Russian space industry 'falling short' of state arms goals RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- Russia's space chief says its rocket industry is falling short of the goals set by the state arms procurement program.
- Russia unfazed by foreign presence in Central Asia RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- Russia does not seek exclusive influence over Central Asia and is not worried by other world powers trying to advance their interests in the region.
- Russia aims to expand presence on Latin American arms market RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- The arms market in Latin America, especially in Brazil, show a great potential for exports of Russian weaponry.
- Armenian Parliament Ratifies New Defense Pact With Russia RFE/RL 13 Apr 2011 -- The Armenian parliament has ratified a key agreement to prolong Russia's military presence in Armenia and deepen broader defense links between the two countries.
- Mars flight possible after 2035 - Roscosmos chief RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- Roscosmos chief Anatoly Perminov: An interplanetary spacecraft for a flight to Mars will be created no earlier than 2025.
- PACE co-rapporteurs present Russia monitoring memo RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2011 -- PACE co-rapporteurs on submitted an information note on their recent fact-finding visit to Moscow and Kazan.
- Putin Refuses to Rule Out Run for Russian Presidency VOA 13 Apr 2011 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says he has not ruled out running for president in the country's 2012 election.
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space center project RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2011 -- PM Putin: Ukraine should participate in the construction of the Vostochny Space Center in Russia's Far East.
- Human Space Flight Marks 2 Big Anniversaries VOA 12 Apr 2011 -- Tuesday is the 50th anniversary of the first manned spaceflight, and the 30th anniversary of the first launch of a U.S. space shuttle.
- Russia Celebrates Half-Century Since Gagarin Became First In Space RFE/RL 12 Apr 2011 -- Russia is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Yury Gagarin's historic spaceflight.
- Medvedev says time nearing for presidential decision with Putin RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev says he and Prime Minister Vladimir Putin will decide within a "fairly short time" which of them will run for president next year.
- Russia's Medvedev To Decide On Reelection Soon RFE/RL 12 Apr 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said he will soon decide whether to seek reelection next year.
- Russia, Brazil discuss joint production of armored police cars RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2011 -- Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport: Holding talks with Brazil on setting up a joint venture for manufacturing light-armor police vehicles.
- 50 Years Since World Star-Struck By Space Pioneer Gagarin RFE/RL 11 Apr 2011 -- On April 12, 1961, a rocket blasted into space carrying Yury Gagarin, about to make history as the first man in space.
- As Russia Celebrates Gagarin, Space Program Comes Under Fire RFE/RL 11 Apr 2011 -- Celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of Yury Gagarin's historic orbiting of the Earth should be a triumphant occasion.
- ESA may use Russian technology in nuke-spaceship project RIA Novosti 11 Apr 2011 -- The ESA has no immediate plans for cooperation with Russia in creating nuclear-powered spacecraft.
- Russia to develop S-500 air defense system by 2016 - designer RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2011 -- Russia's Almaz-Antei design bureau is planning to complete the development of the advanced S-500 air defense system by 2015-2016, the company's deputy general director Yury Solovyev said Friday.
- Russia's Star On Rise Again In Kyrgyzstan RFE/RL 08 Apr 2011 -- Outside forces have competed for influence in Kyrgyzstan since the vacuum left by the Soviet Union's collapse two decades ago.
- Russia hands over new declassified Katyn massacre files to Poland RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2011 -- The Russian Prosecutor General's Office handed over to Poland on Thursday 11 volumes of declassified documents related to the massacre of over 20,000 Polish prisoners of war in Western Russia in 1940, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office said.
- Russia looks to grab half of world space launch market RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2011 -- Russia needs to increase its presence on the global space market and increase its share of launches from 40% to 50%, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Thursday.
- Putin touts Russia's growing investment in space programs RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2011 -- The Russian government earmarked about 200 billion rubles ($7 billion) in funding for space programs in 2010-11, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said on Thursday.
- Probe into Russian Su-27 jet crash could take 30 days RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2011 -- It would take Russian investigators at least a month to establish the cause of an accident with a Su-27SM Flanker fighter jet that crashed in Russia's Far East on Wednesday, a military source said.
- Iran, Russia discuss Afghanistan issues IRNA 06 Apr 2011 -- Iranian and Russian representatives discussed bilateral, regional and international developments, the issue of war-torn Afghanistan in particular, here on Wednesday.
- U.S., Russia reach final stages of Afghan helicopter deal - paper RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2011 -- Russia and the United States have agreed on the conditions of a $367-million deal for the supply of Russian helicopters to Afghanistan and will sign the document soon, the Kommersant daily reported on Wednesday citing military officials.
- Three killed in ammo blast at military base in central Russia RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2011 -- Three people were killed and one injured on Wednesday in an explosion at a military base in central Russia, a Defense Ministry spokesman said.
- Pilot hospitalized after Su-27 crash in Russia's Far East RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2011 -- A pilot from the Russian Su-27 Flanker combat aircraft that crashed earlier on Wednesday during a training flight near the city of Vladivostok in Russia's Far East has been hospitalized, a Defense Ministry official said.
- On The Verge Of Economic Disaster, Minsk Turns To Moscow RFE/RL 06 Apr 2011 -- With an economy teetering on the brink of collapse and a nervous population standing in hours-long lines to buy foreign currency or gold, Minsk is going hat in hand to Moscow seeking relief.
- Russia delivers 2 combat helicopters to Peru RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2011 -- Russia has delivered two Mi-35P Hind E attack helicopters to Peru under a contract to provide the South American country with air power to combat cocaine production and terrorism.
- Russia's Ivanov Says Economic Ties Are Next Step In 'Reset' RFE/RL 05 Apr 2011 -- Economic ties between the United States and Russia must be improved if the two countries want to 'cement' their relations, according to Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov.
- Russia to continue military conscription for next 10-15 years - Medvedev RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2011 -- The Russian Armed Forces will continue using a mixture of conscripts and contracted recruits for the next 10-15 years, President Dmitry Medvedev said on Monday.
- Russia floats out new missile frigate for Caspian Sea RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2011 -- Shipbuilders in Russia's republic of Tatarstan floated out a second Gepard class frigate for the Russian Navy, the Zelenodolsk Shipyard said on Monday.
- Israel reiterates concern over Russian missile supply deal with Syria RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2011 -- Israel on Monday once again requested that Russia not supply Syria with anti-ship cruise missiles.
- Russia, U.S. to discuss nuke-powered spaceship project RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2011 -- Russia's Federal Space Agency Roscosmos and NASA will discuss the development of a nuclear-powered spaceship on April 15, agency director Anatoly Perminov said on Monday.
- Medvedev criticizes competiveness of Russian plane makers RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2011 -- Russian President Medvedev criticized Russian aircraft makers for failing to provide competitive and electronically advanced planes.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list