Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2008 - Russia Special Weapons News
- U.S. changes position on START-1 treaty - Sen. Lugar RIA Novosti 31 Jan 2008 -- The George W. Bush administration has changed its stance on the START-1 nuclear arms reduction treaty, and will agree to Russia's demands for a legally binding replacement, a Republican Senator said.
- Russia: The Pot Of Gold At The End Of The Stabilization Fund RFE/RL 30 Jan 2008 -- Some $150 billion has accumulated in Russia's Stabilization Fund, which was created in 2004 to amass the windfall profits from high energy prices in a fund intended to dampen the effects of a potential future downturn in those prices.
- Russia to rearrange troops due to U.S. missile shield RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry plans to change the configuration of troops in Kaliningrad in response to U.S. missile shield plans in Central Europe, a high-ranking army official said on Wednesday.
- Russia urges OSCE to rectify 'unhealthy' election monitoring RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2008 -- Russia urges the OSCE's main election observer body to rectify the "unhealthy situation" surrounding election monitoring, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday.
- Russia upper house scraps early-warning radar deal with Ukraine RIA Novosti 30 Jan 2008 -- Russia's upper house of parliament voted Wednesday to cancel an agreement with Ukraine on early warning and space monitoring systems, citing inadequate technical support by Ukraine for radar facilities.
- Russia Air Force to adopt new training helicopter by 2010 RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2008 -- The Ansat training helicopter will enter service with Russia's Air Force by 2010, once government tests and initial operation with military units are completed, a senior military official said Tuesday.
- Russian Bear bombers join final drills in N. Atlantic RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2008 -- Six Tu-95MS Bear strategic bombers joined on Tuesday a Russian naval task force in the Atlantic to take part in the final stage of the current naval exercise, an Air Force spokesman said.
- Russia Air Force will receive new attack helicopters in 2009 RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2008 -- The new Mi-28N Night Hunter helicopter gunship will continue to be fine-tuned by the manufacturer in 2008, after which it will be adopted for service, a senior military official said on Tuesday.
- Russia Air, Ground Forces to conduct joint drills in April RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2008 -- Units of Russia's Air Force and Ground Forces will conduct a joint exercise in the country's Caspian region in April 2008, a senior military official said on Tuesday.
- Russia: For Some, Dark Horse Remains In The Shadows RFE/RL 28 Jan 2008 -- When Russia's Central Election Commission released its final list of candidates for the March presidential election, most of the names were familiar.
- Russian peacekeepers start rotation in Sudan RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2008 -- The Russian air group, part of the United Nations Mission in Sudan, will start on Monday a regular rotation which will last until February 2, the Russian Air Force said.
- Expelled Russian diplomat bought secrets - Latvian minister RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2008 -- A Russian diplomat, expelled from Latvia last Monday, bribed local officials to provide him with secret information, the Latvian interior minister said on Monday.
- Russia denounces allegations by spy defector in U.S. book RIA Novosti 28 Jan 2008 -- The Russian foreign intelligence service (SVR) said on Monday that allegations by former spy master Sergei Tretyakov recently published in a book in the U.S. were "a PR move glorifying treason."
- Russian Election Commission Rejects Opposition Candidate RFE/RL 27 Jan 2008 -- Russian election officials have barred opposition leader Mikhail Kasyanov from running in the upcoming presidential election to replace President Vladimir Putin.
- Kremlin opponent Kasyanov barred from presidential election RIA Novosti 27 Jan 2008 -- Russia's central election commission on Sunday officially barred Kremlin opponent Mikhail Kasyanov from the presidential elections scheduled for March 2.
- Russia: Security Forces Violently Disperse Protest In Ingushetia RFE/RL 26 Jan 2008 -- Police have clashed with hundreds of protesters rallying against corruption and human rights abuses in Russia's southern Republic of Ingushetia.
- Russia reiterates concern over Ukraine's desire to join NATO RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2008 -- Russia is concerned over Ukraine's drive to join NATO, which may seriously harm Russian-Ukrainian relations, the Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Russian Space Forces to launch new military satellite in 2009 RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Space Forces will launch a new relay satellite in 2009, the forces' commander said Friday.
- Russia terminates early-warning radar agreement with Ukraine RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2008 -- Russian lawmakers terminated on Friday an agreement with Ukraine on early warning and space monitoring systems, citing Ukraine's failure to provide adequate technical support to radar facilities located on its territory.
- Manufacturer cites lack of chips for GPS/Glonass navigation RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- A shortage of chipsets, or groups of integrated circuits, is holding back the commercial production of dual-band GPS/Glonass receivers, a Russian navigation equipment producer said on Thursday.
- Over 40 Russian planes to take part in naval drills in Atlantic RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- Over 40 aircraft of Russia's Air Force will take part in the final stage of a naval exercise in the Atlantic later this month, an aide to the Air Force commander said on Thursday.
- Russia's NATO envoy says new CFE treaty should include navies RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- An adapted Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) treaty should also cover signatory states' naval forces, Russia's new ambassador to NATO said on Thursday.
- Russia's new envoy to NATO to start work in Brussels on Jan. 28 RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- The recently-appointed Russian ambassador to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, said on Thursday he would start work at the organization's HQ in Brussels on January 28.
- Russia's envoy poised for military patent discussions with NATO RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- The new Russian ambassador to NATO has raised the issue of military patent infringement and promised to look into the production of the famous 'Kalashnikov' brand of automatic weapons by NATO countries.
- Russia and Ukraine keep fee for Sevastopol base unchanged RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- Russia and Ukraine have agreed to keep the rent for Russia's base in Sevastopol unchanged, Russia's deputy foreign minister said between sessions of a joint subcommittee on the Black Sea base on Thursday.
- Joint Russian-French naval exercise starts in Atlantic RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2008 -- A joint Russian-French naval exercise has started in the northeastern Atlantic, a Russian Navy spokesman said.
- Russia for UN Security Council reform - foreign minister RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Russia supports the opinion that membership of the UN Security Council should be extended, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday.
- NATO chief proposes Russia-NATO summit in April RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer proposed on Wednesday holding a meeting of the Russia-NATO Council at the beginning of April during a summit of the alliance in Bucharest, a spokesman said.
- Georgia rejects Russia's version of pact with breakaway regions RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Georgia's acting state minister for conflict settlement said Wednesday the ex-Soviet republic would not sign the Russian version of a non-use of force agreement with its separatist regions.
- Russia has no plans to back independence for Abkhazia, S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Russia has never declared its readiness to recognize the sovereignty of ex-Soviet breakaway provinces if Kosovo's independence is declared, Russia's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia says no change in NATO policy after presidential elections RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- The result of Russia's March 2 presidential elections will not affect Russia's policy regarding NATO, the director of the Russian Foreign Ministry's pan-European cooperation department said Wednesday.
- Russia concerned over NATO military buildup around its borders RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Russia is concerned over NATO's expansion, which is aimed at building up its military potential around Russian borders rather than strengthening European security, the foreign minister said on Wednesday.
- Ivanov says Russia must not turn into 'space cabman' RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said on Wednesday that if space launches remain Russia's only services in the sector, the country risks becoming a "space cabman."
- First deputy PM Ivanov slams agency over Glonass failings RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- Russian space agency Roscosmos must take responsibility for the operational shortcomings of the Glonass satellite navigation system, a first deputy prime minister said on Wednesday.
- Russia says date for troop withdrawal from Iraq needed RIA Novosti 23 Jan 2008 -- The Russian foreign minister said on Wednesday that setting a timetable for the withdrawal of foreign troops from Iraq could help stabilize the situation in the country.
- Russia Again Warns Ukraine on NATO Plans VOA 22 Jan 2008 -- Russia is again warning Ukraine that any move to join NATO will "seriously" complicate bilateral ties and force Moscow to take "appropriate action."
- Russia to respond 'appropriately' to Ukrainian NATO membership RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that the country would have to take "appropriate measures" if Ukraine were to join NATO.
- Georgia ready for compromise with Russia - acting FM Bezhuashvili RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- Georgia is ready for compromise with Russia, but not to the detriment of its national interests, the tiny ex-Soviet republic's acting foreign minister said on Tuesday.
- Russian military to purchase 10-15 Mi-28N helicopters per year RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry is planning to purchase at least 10-15 Mi-28N Night Hunter attack helicopters every year until 2015, a ministry official said on Tuesday.
- Russian Navy uses supersonic cruise missile to hit test target RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- The flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet has effectively engaged a designated target with a supersonic cruise missile as part of a Navy exercise in the northern Atlantic, a Navy spokesman said Tuesday.
- Russian Air Force receives new Mi-28N attack helicopters RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- Two new Mi-28N Night Hunter helicopter gunships will be transferred to the Russian Air Force on Tuesday by the manufacturer, an AF spokesman said.
- Russian strategic bombers join naval exercise in the Atlantic RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2008 -- Two Russian strategic bombers will participate Tuesday in a joint naval exercise currently underway in the northern Atlantic, an Air Force spokesman said.
- Russia will not pressure Poland on U.S. missile shield - Lavrov RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- Russia will not pressure Poland over its intention to host U.S. missile shield elements, although Moscow is still concerned over the plans, the Russian foreign minister said on Monday.
- Russia to raise space funding 13%, build new space center RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- Russia will increase funding for space projects by 13% and start the construction of a new space center this year, a first deputy prime minister said on Monday.
- Russian missile cruiser hits all test targets in Atlantic RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- The flagship of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, the Moskva guided-missile cruiser, has successfully hit designated targets as part of a Navy exercise in the northern Atlantic Monday, a Navy spokesman said.
- Russia to deploy second S-400 regiment near Moscow in 2008 RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- Russia will deploy a second regiment equipped with new S-400 air defense systems at the end of 2008, a missile defense official said on Monday.
- Dmitry Medvedev registered as Russian presidential candidate RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- The Russian Central Election Commission Monday registered Russian First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev as a presidential candidate.
- Russian Navy begins exercises in the Atlantic RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2008 -- A Russian naval task force started exercises in the northern Atlantic on Monday, a Navy spokesman said.
- Russia, Belarus defense chiefs sign communications deal RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2008 -- The defense ministers of Russia and Belarus signed an agreement on Saturday to set up a communications system between regional groupings of the countries' Armed Forces.
- Air Force chief laments 'critical' state of aerospace defense RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Air Force commander warned on Saturday that if Russia does not radically improve its aerospace defense, the entire country will be left vulnerable to attack by 2020.
- Russia ready to use nuclear weapons if threatened - army chief RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2008 -- Russia's top military commander said on Saturday that the country is prepared to use its nuclear weapons to defend itself and allies in the event of a severe external threat.
- Russia continues test flights of Yak-130 combat trainer RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- Russia is planning to start test flights of the fourth prototype Yak-130 combat training aircraft in March, a deputy Air Force commander said on Friday.
- Putin says Russia will not support independence for Kosovo RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that Russia will not support any "illegal and immoral" decision by Kosovo to declare unilateral independence.
- Putin Warns Against Unilateral Declaration of Kosovo Independence VOA 18 Jan 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has again expressed opposition to a unilateral declaration of Kosovo independence.
- New Russian envoy to NATO to arrive in Brussels in late January RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- The recently-appointed Russian ambassador to NATO, Dmitry Rogozin, will arrive at the organization's HQ in Brussels on January 28, a source in Russia's mission to NATO said on Friday.
- Russia says OSCE must leave Kosovo if independence declared RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- Russia's envoy to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe said on Friday the OSCE will have to shut down its mission in Kosovo if the province declares its independence from Serbia.
- Russia delivers third fuel shipment to Iran's nuclear plant RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- Russia delivered on Friday the third fuel shipment to the Bushehr nuclear power plant it is building in southern Iran, the country's official news agency said, citing officials.
- Russia's Lavrov to attend six-nation talks on Iran in Berlin RIA Novosti 18 Jan 2008 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will attend six-nation talks in Berlin aimed at solving the international dispute around Iran's nuclear program on January 22, a ministry source said on Friday.
- Russia: Repatriation Plan Appeals To Few Ethnic Russians RFE/RL 17 Jan 2008 -- The first year of an extended program to repatriate ethnic Russians living abroad has failed to produce the wave of immigrants that proponents touted ahead of its approval.
- Russia's Balkan Power Play RFE/RL 17 Jan 2008 -- Serbs go to the polls this weekend to elect a new president in a hotly contested election
- Russian Navy to conduct exercises in the Atlantic next week RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2008 -- Russian warships from the Northern and the Black Sea fleets will conduct joint maneuvers next week in the Atlantic Ocean, the Northern Fleet commander said on Thursday.
- Tokyo activists stage anti-Russian protests amid spy scandal RIA Novosti 17 Jan 2008 -- Japanese far-right activists staged protests outside the Russian Embassy in Tokyo on Thursday following yesterday's reports of Moscow's alleged spying activities in the country.
- Russia delays overhaul of Indian Navy submarine RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- The delivery of an Indian Navy diesel submarine which recently underwent a two-year refit at a Russian Barents Sea shipyard will be delayed by at least six months, a shipyard spokesman said Wednesday.
- Russia denies Japan's spying allegations RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- The Russian Embassy in Tokyo dismissed on Wednesday a police report alleging that a Japanese official had leaked classified information to Russia, calling it an attempt to strain bilateral ties.
- Russian espionage case to be sent to Japanese court RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- Documents allegedly proving that a Japanese official leaked classified information to Russia will be sent to prosecutors, police said on Wednesday.
- Russian peacekeepers' rotation in Sudan planned for Jan.28-Feb.2 RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- The Russian air group, part of the United Nations Mission in Sudan, will carry out a regular rotation from January 28 until February 2, 2008, the Russian Air Force said on Wednesday.
- Belarus considers buying advanced Russian air defense system RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- Belarus is looking to buy the advanced S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) air defense system from Russia, the chairman of the Belarusian State Military-Industrial Committee said on Wednesday.
- Russia: The Making Of A President RFE/RL 15 Jan 2008 -- Even as the Russian Foreign Ministry was condemning the January 5 presidential election in Georgia for alleged violations, the president-making machine in Moscow was swinging into action.
- New Urals tank-making holding to streamline resources RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2008 -- The incorporation of Russia's major tank-making enterprise will help streamline the use of resources to build artillery and armored systems, a first deputy prime minister said on Tuesday.
- Russia: Court Charges Beslan Victims' Group With 'Extremism' RFE/RL 15 Jan 2008 -- The winter holidays are a difficult time for the many families that lost relatives in the hostage drama that struck the small North Ossetian town of Beslan in September 2004.
- Russia, U.S. plan joint anti-terrorism exercises in summer RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2008 -- Russia and the U.S. will conduct this summer a joint Air Force exercise aimed at practicing interoperability in anti-terror operations, a Russian military official said on Monday.
- Russian Air Force to receive five Su-34 warplanes in 2008 RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Air Force will receive at least five advanced Su-34 fighter bombers in 2008, the Sukhoi plane maker said on Monday.
- S-400 air defense systems to be deployed in central Russia RIA Novosti 14 Jan 2008 -- Russia's advanced S-400 air defense missile systems will be initially deployed in central regions of the country, the Air Force commander said on Monday.
- Ukraine wants talks on Russian naval base withdrawal - FM RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2008 -- Ukraine's foreign minister said on Saturday that the government wants to start talks to prepare the withdrawal of a Russia naval base from Ukraine.
- Russia: Nationalist Appointed NATO Ambassador RFE/RL 11 Jan 2008 -- The appointment of nationalist politician Dmitry Rogozin as Russia's representative to NATO, coming at a time of strained ties between Moscow and the Western military alliance, has been cautiously welcomed by NATO officials.
- Russia to supply 50,000 tons of fuel oil to N.Korea Jan. 20-21 RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2008 -- Russia will supply 50,000 tons of fuel oil to North Korea on January 20-21 in line with a six-nation deal to resolve the country's nuclear problem, a deputy foreign minister said on Friday.
- New serial Tu-160 Blackjack bomber undergoes flight test RIA Novosti 10 Jan 2008 -- A new serial strategic Tu-160 Blackjack bomber has undergone a flight test at an aviation production association in Kazan on the Volga, a deputy director of the Tupolev aircraft maker said Thursday.
- Russia to have 50 silo-based Topol-M ICBM systems by end of 2008 RIA Novosti 10 Jan 2008 -- Russia will fully equip a fifth strategic missile regiment with new silo-based intercontinental ballistic missiles in 2008, a spokesman for the Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) said on Thursday.
- Russia launches full-scale production of new-generation warplane RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2008 -- Russia has started full-scale production of the Su-34 Fullback fighter bomber at a Siberian aircraft plant, plane maker Sukhoi said on Wednesday.
- Russia Accepts RIMPAC Invitation Navy NewsStand 09 Jan 2008 -- Russia has accepted an invitation to participate in this summer's Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) naval exercises, Adm. Robert Willard, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, stated at the 7th annual Hawaii-U.S. Military Partnership Conference Jan. 3.
- India, Russia yet to achieve breakthrough on Gorshkov deal IRNA 09 Jan 2008 -- India and Russia are yet to achieve a breakthrough on resolving the Gorshkov deal, which has been in a deadlock over pricing.
- Russian Su-33 warplanes exercise in Mediterranean RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2008 -- Russian Navy carrier Su-33 aircraft and combat helicopters have launched a training exercise over the Mediterranean, an aide to the Russian Navy commander said on Tuesday.
- Russian, Libyan navies resume contacts RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- The Russian and Libyan navies have resumed contacts after a long hiatus when a Russian Navy vessel made a port call at Tripoli, an aide to the Russian Navy commander said on Saturday.
- Moscow warns against unilateral independence for Kosovo RIA Novosti 05 Jan 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry has reiterated its warning against the declaration of unilateral independence for Kosovo as the UN Security Council is preparing to discuss the issue.
- Russia: Moscow Bares Its Teeth, Signaling Tough Time For OSCE RFE/RL 04 Jan 2008 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) looks to be in for a difficult year, with participant Russia at the center of many of the likely clashes.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list