Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2019 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea Actions at Joint Office Message For Seoul VOA 26 Mar 2019 -- As quickly as North Korea withdrew personnel from a joint liaison office in Kaesong Friday, Pyongyang returned Monday without explanation. The inter-Korean liaison office was opened following the third summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
- Some DPRK officials return to joint liaison office with S.Korea: Seoul Global Times 25 Mar 2019 -- Some of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) officials returned Monday to the joint liaison office with South Korea in the DPRK's border town of Kaesong, South Korea's unification ministry said.
- N. Korea returns to inter-Korean liaison office SPA 25 Mar 2019 -- North Korea restored some personnel to a joint liaison office with South Korea on Monday, Seoul's Unification Ministry said, according to Yonhap News Agency.
- DPRK withdraws from joint liaison office with S.Korea in Kaesong: Seoul unification ministry People's Daily 22 Mar 2019 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) withdrew from the joint liaison office with South Korea in the DPRK's border town of Kaesong, South Korean vice unification minister told an emergency press conference Friday.
- North Korea Withdraws from Liaison Office with South Korea VOA 22 Mar 2019 -- North Korean has withdrawn its liaison office with South Korea.
- South Korea quadruples imports of Iranian oil: Yonhap Press TV 19 Mar 2019 -- South Korea's imports of Iranian oil more than quadrupled in February from a month ago, nearing levels before US sanctions on Tehran, Yonhap news agency reported Tuesday, citing government data.
- S Korean Forces Accidentally Launch Anti-Aircraft Missile During Check - Reports Sputnik 18 Mar 2019 -- A routine maintenance check at a South Korean air force base in Chuncheon on Monday ended with an anti-aircraft guided missile getting accidentally launched and exploding in midair, the Yonhap news agency reported, citing a military official.
- US-Korean Navies Work Together During SALVEX Korea 2019 NNS 15 Mar 2019 -- U.S. Navy divers assigned to Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU) 1 and Republic of Korea (ROK) Navy diving and salvage experts began Salvage Exercise (SALVEX) Korea 2019.
- Dongchang-ri unlikely to be fully restored, low possibility of missile launch: Seoul Arirang 13 Mar 2019 -- North Korea is reportedly restoring key components at its Dongchang-ri missile engine test site, which was dismantled last year July, and increased activity has been detected at Saneum-dong, where Pyeongyang previously assembled its ICBMs.
- South Korea monitoring North for possible missile launch: Military Press TV 11 Mar 2019 -- South Korea's military has warned North Korea that it is closely monitoring its missile sites after media announced Pyongyang might be preparing for a long-range missile or space launch.
- Hyundai Heavy Signs Deal to Take over Daewoo Shipbuilding KBS World Radio 08 Mar 2019 -- Hyundai Heavy Industries on Friday signed a formal deal with the state-run Korea Development Bank(KDB) on its takeover of rival firm Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering.
- US, South Korea sign deal for paying more for American military Press TV 08 Mar 2019 -- The United States and South Korea have signed an agreement to increase the Asian country's payment for American troops deployed there after months of discussions between the two sides.
- South Korea replaces point man on North after Hanoi summit collapse Press TV 08 Mar 2019 -- South Korea's President Moon Jae-in has replaced his point man on North Korea with his longtime confident in an apparent effort to further improve ties with Pyongyang.
- South Korea's Moon Replaces Minister in Charge of Relations with DPRK Sputnik 08 Mar 2019 -- The President of South Korea Moon Jae-in announced that he had replaced the country's unification minister, who is responsible for affairs with North Korea.
- US-South Korea military drills 'a violent violation': North Korea Press TV 07 Mar 2019 -- North Korea has strongly denounced ongoing joint military exercises between South Korea and the US, saying the drills pose an "all-out challenge" to efforts towards peace on the Korean peninsula.
- US and S Korean Activity 'Flagrant Violation' of Declarations - N Korean Media Sputnik 07 Mar 2019 -- This week's joint drills by US and South Korea are a blatant violation of deals reached at the North's summits with their leaders, the North Korean state media KCNA said Thursday.
- Moon Seeks to Bring Trump, Kim Back to Table VOA 07 Mar 2019 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says he's ready to step in and be the mediator between the United States and North Korea after the two nations failed to reach an agreement in Hanoi last week. However, it remains to be seen what the South Korean leader can do to move U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un closer to a deal both sides can be happy with.
- Trump cites cost as reason for canceling joint 'war games' Press TV 05 Mar 2019 -- United States President Donald Trump has cited "cost" as the reason for canceling hated annual joint military exercises with South Korea.
- S. Korea to seek three-way talks with DPRK, U.S. People's Daily 05 Mar 2019 -- South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha said Monday that her ministry will seek to hold three-way talks with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States to help rapidly resume the DPRK-U.S. dialogue.
- U.S, South Korea launch joint military exercise SPA 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States and South Korea began a new, smaller-scale joint military exercise on Monday, to replace their springtime Key Resolve drills, according to Korea's Yonhap news agency.
- Trump defends ending joint drills with S Korea amid failure in Hanoi Press TV 04 Mar 2019 -- US President Donald Trump is defending his decision to end large-scale military exercises with South Korea amid failure to negotiate with the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un.
- With Military Exercises Canceled in S. Korea, Experts Express Concern About Impact VOA 04 Mar 2019 -- The United States and South Korea announced the cancelation of two annual large-scale military drills in an effort to "achieve complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
- Trump Cites Cost as Reason for Halting US-South Korea War Games VOA 03 Mar 2019 -- President Donald Trump says the reason he canceled large-scale springtime military drills with South Korea is to save "hundreds of millions of dollars" that the U.S. is never reimbursed.
- US, S Korea Suspend Joint Drills to Boost DPRK Denuclearization - Pentagon Sputnik 03 Mar 2019 -- The news comes on the heels of the recent DPRK-US Summit in Hanoi. According to the Yonhap news agency, a permanent end to the annual joint US-South Korean military maneuvers near the Korean Peninsula could facilitate a much-anticipated denuclearization by North Korea.
- Readout of Minister of National Defense Jeong Kyeong-doo's Phone Call With Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan DoD 02 Mar 2019 -- "During a phone call on March 2, Minister of National Defense Jeong Kyeong-doo and the Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan assessed the outcomes of the Summit between President Trump and Chairman Kim and discussed the further coordination of measures to establish complete denuclearization and lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula, as well as steps to maintain the readiness of combined forces."
- US, South Korea Announce End to Joint Military Drills VOA 02 Mar 2019 -- The U.S. and South Korea announced late Saturday the two countries will end annual large-scale joint military exercises as part of diplomatic efforts to "achieve complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
- US to End Annual Spring Joint Drills With South Korea – Reports Sputnik 02 Mar 2019 -- The US military is planning to announce the end of large-scale joint military exercises with South Korea that are held each spring, media reports said on Friday.
- US, South Korea Expected to Scale Back Joint Military Drills VOA 01 Mar 2019 -- The U.S. and South Korea are expected to announce they will significantly scale back annual large-scale joint exercises.
- Moon Unveils Plans for New Korean Peninsula System KBS World Radio 01 Mar 2019 -- Marking the centennial of the March First Independence Movement, President Moon Jae-in stressed South Korea's role in reaching an agreement in denuclearization talks with North Korea and laid out his plans for what he calls a new Korean Peninsula system.
- Address by President Moon Jae-in on 100th March First Independence Movement Day ROK Office of the President 01 Mar 2019
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list