Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2017 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korea Rejects Trump's $1B THAAD Demand VOA 28 Apr 2017 -- The South Korean government has quickly refuted U.S. President Donald Trump's call for Seoul to pay $1 billion for the THAAD missile defense system.
- Trump's latest remarks on trade, THAAD land like bombshell in S. Korea ARIRANG 28 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump came down hard on South Korea during his exclusive interview with Reuters, raising doubts about two pillars of their bilateral relationship. Trump says he wants a renegotiation or termination of the South Korea-U.S. Free Trade Agreement and that Seoul should pay for the THAAD missile defense system.
- Defense Ministry: No Payment for THAAD KBS World Radio 28 Apr 2017 -- The Defense Ministry has reaffirmed its basic stance that the U.S. is to cover the costs for the deployment of the THAAD anti-missile system.
- Trump Calls for FTA Renegotiation and $1Bln for THAAD KBS World Radio 28 Apr 2017 -- The U.S. President Donald Trump suggested charging Seoul with a one-billion dollar bill for the deployment of the U.S. THAAD anti-missile system. He also hinted at his intentions to terminate the South Korea-U.S. free trade agreement unless the deal is renegotiated for better trade terms for the U.S.
- Who will pay for THAAD? US & South Korea hold different opinions People's Daily 28 Apr 2017 -- US President Donald Trump said he wants South Korea to pay for the deployment of the controversial Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system, according to Reuters.
- China announces readiness to construct permanent manned space station Press TV 28 Apr 2017 -- China has announced its plan to begin the construction of a permanent manned space station, placing the East Asian giant higher among the few countries with advanced space technology.
- South Korea, US warn of potential 'punishment' against North Korea Press TV 27 Apr 2017 -- South Korea and the United States have agreed to take "swift punitive measures" against North Korea in the event of more "provocation" on the part of Pyongyang.
- China voices opposition to THAAD deployment, vows military training People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- Chinese Defense Ministry spokesperson Yang Yujun said Thursday that China resolutely opposes the deployment of the THAAD anti-missile defence system, pledging to continue real combat-oriented military training and drills to safeguard national security.
- China says it will continue drills, tests of new-type weapons in response to THAAD People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- China is firmly against the deployment of the US anti-missile defense system, known as THAAD in South Korea, China's Ministry of Defense said Thursday, arguing it undermined regional balance and stability.
- China warns of "necessary actions" as US says THAAD to be operational "in coming days" People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- Admiral Harry Harris, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, told Congress that the THAAD anti-missile defense system would be operational "in the coming days."
- S.Korea's military confirms deployment of part of THAAD elements in site People's Daily 26 Apr 2017 -- South Korea's defense ministry on Wednesday confirmed local media reports that part of the elements of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system were deployed to a site in southeast South Korea.
- US Strike on North Korea Could Put Seoul in Jeopardy VOA 26 Apr 2017 -- Thousands of North Korean artillery shells raining down on Seoul. Hundreds of tons of high explosives detonating in the densely populated South Korean capital. Missile strikes as far away as Japan and the U.S. territory of Guam.
- South Korean, US forces exercise logistics capabilities Army News 17 Apr 2017 -- On a bright and windy day, a gray U.S. Army landing craft utility ship loaded with tactical vehicles and other mission equipment to support exercise Operation Pacific Reach 2017 slowly made its way to the Trident Pier causeway here while soldiers and Marines patiently waited.
- Ex-S.Korean president Park Geun-hye indicted on corruption charges People's Daily 17 Apr 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors on Monday indicted former President Park Geun-hye, who has been impeached and arrested, on multiple corruption charges including bribery and abuse of power.
- Apocalypse Sooner: South Korea Speeds Up Preparation of Ballistic Arsenal Sputnik 17 Apr 2017 -- South Korea is completing the development of its low-tier M-SAM missile defense system, which is due to be put into service within the next few years, according to Yonhap News Agency.
- Former South Korean President Park Indicted on Bribery Charges VOA 17 Apr 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors have formally indicted ousted President Park Geun-hye on bribery charges in a high-profile corruption scandal.
- Pence Stresses Alliance With South Korea After Pyongyang's Failed Missile Test VOA 16 Apr 2017 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pense is stressing the strength of the American alliance with South Korea hours after the latest failed missile test by Pyongyang.
- S.Korean military says DPRK's attempted test-launch of missile fails People's Daily 16 Apr 2017 -- South Korea on Sunday denounced the failed test-launch of an unidentified missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) that came amid rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Koreans, Japanese Remain Calm as US, North Korea Posture Sputnik 16 Apr 2017 -- As media and lawmakers in Washington ratchet up the threat of war with Pyongyang, those who live in areas close to North Korea shrug their shoulders, unconcerned by what they consider to be business as usual on the peninsula.
- South Korean, U.S. Forces Exercise Logistics Capabilities AFPS 13 Apr 2017 -- On a bright and windy day, a gray U.S. Army landing craft utility ship loaded with tactical vehicles and other mission equipment to support exercise Operation Pacific Reach 2017 slowly makes its way to the Trident Pier causeway here while soldiers and Marines patiently wait.
- U.S., South Korean Airmen exercise port opening capability AFNS 12 Apr 2017 -- Approximately 60 Airmen from the 621st Contingency Response Wing stationed at Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey, 30 U.S. Army Soldiers assigned to the 689th Rapid Port Opening Element stationed at JB Langley-Eustis, Virginia, and a few dozen South Korean air force members participated in a Joint Task Force-Port Opening force supporting Exercise Turbo Distribution17-3 at Pohang Air Base, April 9, 2017.
- S. Korea Dismisses Rumors of War Crisis on Korean Peninsula KBS World Radio 11 Apr 2017-- South Korea's Foreign Ministry has dismissed rumors of a looming war on the Korean Peninsula, which are rapidly spreading on social networking sites.
- S. Korea Cautious of Possible US Action on N. Korea KBS World Radio 11 Apr 2017 -- Amid concerns over possible North Korean provocations and a U.S. military response, Acting President Hwang Kyo-ahn urged the government and the public to remain cool-headed.
- US, South Korean troops hold joint logistics drill Press TV 11 Apr 2017 -- American and South Korean troops are holding a 10-day logistics drill in the city of Pohang amid growing tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- Spotlight: S.Korean lawmakers of biggest political party raise voice against THAAD deployment People's Daily 11 Apr 2017 -- SEOUL, April 11 -- South Korean lawmakers of the biggest Minjoo Party on Tuesday raised voice against the deployment of the U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system in their territory, calling for a resolution through dialogue and negotiations.
- Seoul: US to Coordinate Possible Attack on North Korea With South Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- The possible attack against North Korea will occur in the framework of the reliable Seoul-Washington joint defense based on close cooperation, the South Korean military announced on Tuesday.
- South Korea, China Agree on Action to End North Korea Nuclear Threat VOA 10 Apr 2017 -- South Korea and China say they have agreed they will take strong action against North Korea if Pyongyang conducts more nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests.
- S.Korean prosecutors grill arrested President Park over corruption allegations People's Daily 04 Apr 2017 -- South Korean prosecutors on Tuesday grilled former President Park Geun-hye, who has been taken into custody over corruption allegations.
- South Korea Conducts Large-Scale Artillery Exercises - Defense Ministry Sputnik 04 Apr 2017 -- According to the Defense Ministry, South Korea held large-scale exercises on Tuesday, with the use of multiple launch rocket systems.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list