Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2016 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korea appoints new chief envoy for six-party talks People's Daily 29 Feb 2016 -- South KoreaMonday replaced its representative at the six-party talks for the denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula with Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Hong-Kyun.
- Sanctions on North Korea Hurting Businesses in South Korea VOA 29 Feb 2016 -- South Korean factories that were forced to halt operations in North Korea’s Kaesong Industrial Complex are asking the Seoul government to compensate them for their losses.
- S. Korea to impose maritime sanctions on ships visiting DPRK: media People's Daily 26 Feb 2016 -- South Korea plans to impose its unilateral maritime sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) by banning third-country ships visiting the DPRK from entering South Korean ports, Yonhap news agency reported Friday citing the maritime ministry.
- China concerned over US missiles in South Korea Press TV 25 Feb 2016 -- Beijing has expressed concern over the possible deployment of an American missile system in South Korea, saying it could jeopardize China's national security.
- South Korea dismisses China warning about US missile system Press TV 24 Feb 2016 -- South Korea has rejected China's warning that a US missile system planned to be set up on Korean soil would harm relations between Seoul and Beijing.
- South Korea issues North stern warning after threat to hit presidential residence Press TV 24 Feb 2016 -- South Korea has once again warned the North that its "provocations" risk speeding up the "collapse of its dictatorial system" following North Korea's threat to attack the South.
- DPRK warns to use strategic weapons against U.S.-S.Korean forces People's Daily 24 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) said Tuesday that its strategic and tactical weapons are ready to be used for preemptive strikes on South Korea and the United States even if any 'small movements' were found among U.S.-S.Korean special forces, the official KCNA news agency said Tuesday.
- North Korea vows to retaliate against US, South Korea over joint war games Press TV 23 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has strongly slammed the upcoming joint US-South Korean military exercises, vowing to take "a thousand-fold revenge" against them in case of any armed provocation.
- General Cites High Level of Tension on Korean Peninsula AFPS 23 Feb 2016 -- Tensions on the Korean Peninsula are the highest he has seen in his time in command of the Combined Forces Command, Army Gen. Curtis M. Scaparrotti told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- China says US missiles due in South Kroea will harm its security Press TV 23 Feb 2016 -- China has warned that a United States missile system planned to be set up on South Korea's soil would harm its security.
- S Korea Urges Japan to Stop Provocations on Disputed Islands Sputnik 22 Feb 2016 -- Seoul called on Monday on Tokyo to cease provocations to defend its right to the Liancourt Rocks islands that are the subject of territorial disputes between the two countries, according to a statement by the South Korean Foreign Ministry.
- Japan to Continue to Defend Its Right to S Korea-Controlled Liancourt Rocks Sputnik 22 Feb 2016 -- Tokyo intends to continue contesting Seoul's control over the Liancourt Rocks.
- US, South Korea to Practice Offense During Joint Exercises VOA 22 Feb 2016 -- The United States and South Korea will reportedly practice preemptive military strikes to take out North Korean nuclear sites next month when they begin the largest joint exercises ever conducted by the two allied forces.
- Tensions running high at Koreas' Demilitarized Zone Press TV 22 Feb 2016 -- Tensions between the two Koreas have increased significantly along the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).
- New Era of US, ROK Navy Alliance Begins in Busan NNS 19 Feb 2016 -- Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea (CNFK) conducted a ribbon-cutting ceremony Feb. 19, officially opening its headquarters in Busan and ushering in a new era of U.S. and Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) alliance.
- KCNA Commentary Snipes at Projected U.S. THAAD Deployment in S. Korea KCNA 19 Feb 2016 -- The Park Geun Hye regime of south Korea announced on Feb. 7 that it would negotiate with the U.S. for the deployment of THAAD in south Korea.
- US quadruples number of troops for joint South Korea drill: South Korean min. Press TV 18 Feb 2016 -- The number of the US forces that will participate in an annual joint military exercise with South Korea this year will be four times as many as the figure last year, amid a recent uptick in tensions with North Korea over its recent nuclear and long-range rocket tests.
- Upcoming US-South Korean Military Exercise to be Largest Ever VOA 18 Feb 2016 -- South Korean defense officials say the upcoming annual military drill with the United States will be the largest ever, a sign of growing tensions with North Korea over its recent tests of nuclear and ballistic missile weapons programs.
- S Korean Prime Minister Rules Out Nukes Amid Calls for Nuclear Capability Sputnik 18 Feb 2016 -- South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn ruled out on Thursday building or deploying nuclear weapons to the country amid a heated debate in the parliament, local media said.
- F-22 Raptors conduct show of force over South Korea AFNS 17 Feb 2016 -- Four U.S. F-22 Raptors conducted a combined formation flight alongside South Korean F-15K Slam Eagles and U.S. F-16 Fighting Falcons here to demonstrate the capabilities of both nations Feb. 17, in response to recent provocative actions by North Korea.
- US Fighter Jets Fly to South Korea VOA 17 Feb 2016 -- Four U.S. fighter jets flew across South Korea Wednesday in the latest show of force against North Korea for its recent tests of nuclear and ballistic missile weapons programs.
- US F-22 stealth warplanes land in South Korea Press TV 17 Feb 2016 -- In a move that is slated to further fuel tensions in the Korean peninsula, the US has flown four advanced F-22 Raptor fighter jets to South Korea, amid a standoff with North Korea over its nuclear and missile tests.
- South Korea calls for 'robust' sanctions against North Press TV 16 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says the United Nations Security Council should adopt 'extraordinary' measures in response to North Korea's recent nuclear test and rocket launch.
- South Korean President Takes Tough Stand Against North VOA 16 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has called for unity and support for her hardline response to North Korea's recent nuclear test and rocket launch.
- Possible US THAAD deployment in ROK confuses and angers Chinese people People's Daily 15 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. has requested China's cooperation in resolving the the DPRK nuclear issue, at the same time, it planned to deploy the THAAD system with its allies, which confuses and angers the Chinese people, said Fu Ying, chairwoman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs of China's National People's Congress Saturday.
- US anti-missile system threatens China's interests: Beijing Press TV 15 Feb 2016 -- China says the possible US deployment of an anti-missile system to the Korean Peninsula is a threat to China's strategic interests, and Beijing will not allow its "national security interests to be damaged."
- South Korea is Done Dancing With Nuclear North VOA 15 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye will defend her hardline response to North Korea's recent nuclear test and rocket launch in an address to the National Assembly in Seoul Tuesday.
- South Korea Shut Joint Industrial Zone Independently Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- South Korean officials have independently decided to shut down a border industrial zone.
- N.Korean Govt Confiscated Up to 70% Joint Industrial Zone Workers' Wages Sputnik 14 Feb 2016 -- The North Korean government has confiscated up to 70 percent of the Kaesong industrial zone jointly run with South Korea to allegedly spend on its nuclear program, South Korean Unification Ministry said Sunday.
- China opposes possible U.S. THAAD deployment in S. Korea People's Daily 13 Feb 2016 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday spoke out against the possible deployment of an advanced U.S. missile defence system in South Korea, stressing that it would complicate the regional stability situation.
- US deploys new Patriot missiles to South Korea Press TV 13 Feb 2016 -- The United States has temporarily deployed an additional Patriot missile battery in South Korea in response to North Korea's nuclear test and a long-range rocket launch.
- US Deploys Additional Defensive Patriot Missile System in South Korea VOA 13 Feb 2016 -- The United States has temporarily deployed an additional Patriot missile battery in South Korea. The move was done in response to North Korea's nuclear test and long-range missile launch.
- South Korean Companies Appeal to Save Kaesong Complex VOA 12 Feb 2016 -- South Korean companies hit hard by Seoul's decision to suspend operations at an inter-Korean industrial complex are trying to save the joint venture from being permanently abandoned.
- South Korea, US to begin missile system talks: South Korean official Press TV 12 Feb 2016 -- South Korea and the US are set to begin talks as early as next week on the deployment of an advanced missile system in South Korea, an official with the Asian country says.
- Deploying Missile Defense in S Korea to Cost US $1.25Bln Sputnik 12 Feb 2016 -- The South Korean National Defense Ministry said that a single battery of the US THAAD missile defense system deployed in South Korea would cost up to $1.25 billion for 48 interceptors.
- Seoul: US, South Korea to Discuss Missile Defense System VOA 12 Feb 2016 -- The U.S. and South Korea will hold talks next week on deploying an advanced missile defense system in response to North Korea's recent nuclear and missile tests, a Seoul defense official confirmed.
- All S.Koreans withdraw from joint factory park with DPRK People's Daily 12 Feb 2016 -- All of South Koreans on Thursday withdrew safely from a jointly-run factory park with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) after Pyongyang's decision to deport all South Korean nationals from the park.
- DPRK expels all South Koreans from Kaesong Industrial Zone People's Daily 11 Feb 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) announced on Thursday that it is expelling all South Koreans from the Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ) and closing the joint-run complex.
- US missile shield system in South Korea can spark arms race: Russia Press TV 11 Feb 2016 -- Russia has warned the deployment of a missile shield system in South Korea by the US can launch "an arms race" in the region.
- North Korea Disables Emergency Communication Links With South Sputnik 11 Feb 2016 -- DPRK's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said that North Korean authorities have decided to disable all emergency contact lines with South Korea.
- North Korea: Kaesong Closure a 'Declaration of War' VOA 11 Feb 2016 -- North Korea says South Korea's decision to suspend operations at a jointly-run industrial complex amounts to 'a declaration of war.'
- Sanctions Just Got Real for Over 54,000 North Koreans VOA 11 Feb 2016 -- South Korean workers have begun their pullout from the Kaesong Industrial Complex in North Korea following new sanctions imposed on Pyongyang for its recent nuclear and rocket tests.
- Kaesong Complex Closure Seen Squeezing Cash-strapped N. Korea VOA 10 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's decision to shut down an inter-Korean industrial complex is likely to impose a financial burden on North Korea, experts in Seoul said.
- South Korea closes joint industrial park with North Press TV 10 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says it has closed a joint industrial park with the North, accusing Pyongyang of using the complex to fund its controversial nuclear and missile programs.
- S. Korea confirms DPRK satellite's successful launch into orbit People's Daily 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry said Tuesday that a satellite, launched two days earlier by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), had successfully flied into orbit.
- US deploying anti-missile system on N Korea's doorstep Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- The US Department of Defense says it is planning to deploy an advanced missile system to South Korea "as quickly as possible" to counter the growing threat of Pyongyang's weapons capabilities.
- Seoul Confirms North Korea Successfully Put Satellite Into Orbit Sputnik 09 Feb 2016 -- North Korea has successfully put into orbit the Kwangmyongsong-4 satellite, the South Korean Defense Ministry confirmed Tuesday.
- S. Korea's Park speaks via phone with Obama, Abe on DPRK sanctions People's Daily 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Tuesday had telephone calls with U.S. President Barack Obama and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe respectively to discuss tougher new sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on its long-range rocket launch.
- North Korea rocket has most of US within reach: South official Press TV 09 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says a long-range rocket recently launched by the North is capable of reaching most of the United States as it appears to be more powerful than the previous model.
- South Korea Weighs Closing Kaesong Complex Over Rocket Launch VOA 08 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's point man on North Korea hinted Monday at possibly shutting down an inter-Korean industrial complex as a punitive measure against North Korea in response to the communist country's long-range rocket launch.
- After Rocket Launch, South Korea Fires Warning Shots At North's Navy RFE/RL 08 Feb 2016 -- A day after Pyongyang's controversial rocket launch, South Korea fired warnings shots at a patrol boat from North Korea's navy that briefly crossed into South Korean territorial waters.
- Secretary Kerry's Phone Call With Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se and Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida US Dept. of State 07 Feb 2016
- Seoul, Washington to start talks on US missile deployment Press TV 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean and US military officials are set to begin formal negotiations on the possible deployment of an American missile system to the Korean Peninsula to deal with what they call threats from the North.
- Seoul Warns Russia, China of Missile Defense Deployment Talks With US Sputnik 07 Feb 2016 -- Seoul has let Moscow and Beijing know in advance of the decision to start official negotiations with Washington on the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system on the South Korean territory, the government said in a statement on Sunday.
- South Korea, US to Discuss Deploying Missile Defense System VOA 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korea and the U.S. will formally discuss deploying a missile-defense system known as THAAD, after North Korea claimed to have launched a satellite into space.
- S.Korean president denounces DPRK's rocket launch People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Sunday denounced the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s rocket launch, describing it as an unacceptable provocative act, her office said.
- S.Korea sees DPRK rocket's successful launch into space People's Daily 07 Feb 2016 -- South Korean's military has seen a rocket launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) successfully entering into space, regarding it as a similar intercontinental ballistic missile to the Unha-3 rocket test-fired in late 2012.
- South Korea Says North Korea Moving Closer to Rocket Launch VOA 05 Feb 2016 -- North Korea appears to be moving quickly on its preparations for a long-range rocket launch, South Korea's Defense Ministry said Friday.
- S. Korean defense chief orders active response to DPRK's possible launch People's Daily 05 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's defense chief on Friday ordered an active response to the possible satellite launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which said it will conduct the launch as early as next week.
- North Korea Not to Use Nuclear Weapons Against South - Ruling Party Sputnik 05 Feb 2016 -- According to media reports, Pyongyang will not use its nuclear weapons against Seoul.
- S.Korea to intercept debris of DPRK rocket if falls in territory People's Daily 04 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's defense ministry warned on Thursday of intercepting debris from a rocket, launched by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which fall on its territory and territorial waters.
- South Korea threatens to shoot down any rocket by North Press TV 04 Feb 2016 -- South Korea says the North's planned rocket launch would never be "tolerated," threatening to destroy any projectile or debris that falls on its territory.
- N. Korean Nuclear Provocations Force Region to Make Hard Choices VOA 04 Feb 2016 -- Pyongyang's defiant pursuit of nuclear weapons is forcing countries in northeast Asia to either support crippling sanctions or ultimately recognize North Korea as a nuclear state.
- S. Korean politicians urge DPRK to drop rocket launch plan People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korean politicians on Wednesday called for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to drop its rocket launch plan.
- S. Korea warns harsh price against DPRK's satellite launch People's Daily 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korea on Wednesday warned a harsh price against possible launch of long-range ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) following Pyongyang's notification of its plan to launch a satellite into orbit.
- North Korea to pay severe price for missile launch: South Press TV 03 Feb 2016 -- South Korea has warned the neighboring North of a "severe price" if it proceeds with a plan to launch a long-range missile later this month.
- South Korea, Japan Warn Against North Korea Missile Launch VOA 03 Feb 2016 -- Japan and South Korea joined the United States Wednesday in demanding that North Korea cancel plans to send a long-range rocket into space, saying the launch would violate United Nations resolutions banning ballistic-missile and nuclear weapon development in the country.
- Russia Opposes Deployment of US THAAD Defense System in South Korea Sputnik 02 Feb 2016 -- Russia believes that the deployment of THAAD in South Korea will not be helpful to peace and security in Northeast Asia nor to the resolution of the nuclear issue on the Korean Peninsula, according to Russian Ambassador to Seoul Alexander Timonin.
- S. Korea drums up need for THAAD deployment after DPRK nuke test People's Daily 01 Feb 2016 -- South Korea's military and ruling party chief on Monday drummed up need to deploy a U.S. missile defense battery on its territory after the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s nuclear test in early January.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list