Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korea Slams North for Missionary Arrest VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- South Koreans are defending a Korean-Canadian Christian missionary imprisoned in North Korea who was paraded before cameras this week in Pyongyang where he confessed to participating in "subversive plots."
- South Korea Launches Mass Production of New M-SAM Missile Sputnik 30 Jul 2015 -- South Korea is planning to start mass production of a new M-SAM mid-range surface-to-air missile for the Air Force this year following a successful test-fire.
- On Brink of War? N Korea Leader Inspects 'War Drills' Against US, S Korea Sputnik 30 Jul 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un paid a visit to a high-profile Air Force combat contest, describing it as part of 'war preparations' against the United States and South Korea, Pyongyang's state media said Thursday.
- N Korea Calls on US to Halt Drills With S Korea to Establish Dialogue Sputnik 30 Jul 2015 -- North Korea calls the US to stop joint military exercises with South Korea to start a dialogue to settle a number of issues.
- S.Korea declares de-facto end of MERS outbreak People's Daily 28 Jul 2015 -- South Korean Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn on Tuesday declared the de-facto end of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome outbreak as all MERS suspects were freed from quarantine amid no report of new infection case for more than three weeks.
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work's Meeting with Republic of Korea (ROK) Saenuri Party Chairman Kim Moo-Sung DoD 27 Jul 2015
- Official: South Korea Will Work Toward Resuming Family Reunions VOA 27 Jul 2015 -- South Korea will work toward resuming inter-Korean family reunions prior to a national holiday in the fall, South Korea's point man on North Korea has said.
- S. Korea protests Japan's renewed territorial claim to islets People's Daily 21 Jul 2015 -- South Korea on Tuesday lodged a strong protest against Japan's renewed territorial claim to Dokdo, a pair of rocky outcroppings called Takeshima in Japan, as the cabinet led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe approved its annual defense white paper.
- S. Korean Firms Call for Resolution of Kaesong Wage Dispute VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- A representative of South Korean firms with factories at the Kaesong Industrial Complex has called for a prompt resolution to the ongoing wage dispute between North and South Korea.
- South Korea regrets North's refusal of talks Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- South Korea has expressed regret at North Korea's rejection of its recent proposals for holding a dialog at different levels.
- South Korean Intelligence Officer Found Dead Amid Hacking Scandal Sputnik 19 Jul 2015 -- A South Korean National Intelligence Service employee whose body was found earlier left behind a note apologizing for deleting potentially vital data.
- S.Korea invites DPRK to Seoul-hosted regional security forum People's Daily 17 Jul 2015 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry said Friday that it has invited the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to a Seoul-hosted regional security forum scheduled for September.
- South Korean spy agent found dead near Seoul Press TV 18 Jul 2015 -- A South Korean intelligence agent has been found dead near the capital, Seoul, according to police.
- Republic of Korea (ROK) - KF-16 Upgrade Program DSCA 15 Jul 2015 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Republic of Korea for the KF-16 Upgrade Program and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for an estimated cost of $2.5 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on July 14, 2015.
- S Korea Willing to Improve Ties With N Korea Despite Nuclear Program Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- South Korea is prepared to start talks with North Korea as it does not see North Korea's denuclearization as a prerequisite for better inter-Korean ties, Seoul's Minister Hong Yong-pyo said Tuesday.
- South Korea fires warning shots at 'intruding' soldiers from North Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- South Korea says its troops have fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers as the latter briefly crossed into the heavily-armed buffer zone that separates the two neighbors.
- Korean Complex Output Increases Despite Wage Dispute VOA 09 Jul 2015 -- South Korea said Thursday that the economic output of the Kaesong Industrial Complex had increased this year, despite a wage dispute.
- Former South Korean First Lady to Visit North Korea VOA 06 Jul 2015 -- The wife of late South Korean president Kim Dae-jung will visit North Korea early next month, Kim's foundation said Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list