Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2015 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Chinese defense minister to visit ROK, Thailand People's Daily 29 Jan 2015 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Chang Wanquan will make official friendly visits to the Republic of Korea and Thailand from Feb. 3 to 7.
- Japan, U.S., S.Korea hold trilateral denuclearization talks People's Daily 28 Jan 2015 -- The chief nuclear envoys from Japan, the United States and South Korea met in Tokyo on Wednesday, seeking a 'credible dialogue' with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), a move may lead to the resumption of long-stalled six-party talks, local media reported.
- South Korea rejects North bid to detain businessman in joint zone Iran Press TV 27 Jan 2015 -- South Korea says it has rejected a North Korean bid for the right to arrest South Korean businessmen working in the Kaesong joint industrial complex if they are found not carrying out their contractual duties.
- North Korea threatens to reconsider dialogue offer with South Iran Press TV 21 Jan 2015 -- North Korean authorities have threatened to reconsider proposals for dialogue with South Korea after US campaigners sent propaganda balloons and leaflets across the border.
- South Korea to Develop New Arms in Response to North Korean Nuclear Program Sputnik 19 Jan 2015 -- South Korea plans to modernize its armed forces and to develop new arms in response to the growing nuclear potential of North Korea, Yonhap news agency reported Monday.
- S Korea's Park 'open' to meeting with North leader Iran Press TV 12 Jan 2015 -- South Korea's President Park Geun-hye says she is willing to meet the North's leader Kim Jong Un without preconditions.
- New N Korean Military Plan Envisages Occupying S Korea Within Seven Days Sputnik 08 Jan 2015 -- North Korea has developed a military plan envisaging the occupation of South Korea within seven days using nonconventional arms including nuclear weapons, South Korean newspaper JoongAng Ilbo reported Thursday.
- S Korea welcomes North's readiness for high-level talks Iran Press TV 06 Jan 2015 -- Seoul has welcomed a recent announcement by Pyongyang that it is prepared to take part in bilateral talks of the "highest-level," calling on its northern neighbor to show commitment to dialogue.
- North Korea's Missiles Able to Reach US Mainland: South Korea Sputnik 06 Jan 2015 -- The South Korean Defense Ministry has said in a white paper that North Korea is in possession of missiles that could reach the US mainland, Xinhua reported Tuesday.
- S. Korea Notes Pyongyang's Improved Nuclear Capability VOA 06 Jan 2015 -- South Korea's defense ministry said North Korea appears to have achieved a 'significant' level of technology to miniaturize a nuclear device that could fit on the tip of a missile.
- China, S Korea Reaffirm Tough Stance Toward N Korean Nuclear Weapon Program Sputnik 05 Jan 2015 -- China and South Korea have reaffirmed their zero tolerance position towards North Korea's nuclear weapon program and agreed to enhance cooperation to maintain peace in the region, South's foreign ministry said Monday.
- South Korean Satellite Faces Collision With Space Junk: Reports Sputnik 03 Jan 2015 -- A South Korean geological monitoring satellite is on course to come within close hazardous proximity with space debris, Yonhap reports.
- ROK urges DPRK to respond to its offer of dialogue People's Daily 02 Jan 2015 -- The Republic of Korea's Ministry of Unification said on Thursday that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea should respond to its offer of talks if it wants to improve relations.
- N Korea: Kim Jong-Un's Sister Reportedly Married Son of Senior Official Sputnik 02 Jan 2015 -- Kim Yo Jong, the younger sister of the North Korean leader, has reportedly married a son of a senior official, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reports, citing anonymous sources.
- In call with Republic of Korea leader, Ban reaffirms support for peace on Korean Peninsula UN News Centre 02 Jan 2015 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the President of the Republic of Korea (ROK), Park Geun-hye, discussed the country's continued support for the work of the United Nations amid wider efforts to bring peace to the Korean Peninsula in a phone call on New Year's Day.
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Ready for Summit Talks With Seoul: Reports Sputnik 01 Jan 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said during his New year's Eve address he was willing to hold summit talks with the South Korean president in 2015, South Korea's Yonhap news agency said early Thursday.
- N. Korea Leader Open to 'Dialogue' With South VOA 01 Jan 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he is open to expanding 'dialogue and cooperation' with the country's rival, South Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list