The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)

Iran Press TV

North Korea threatens to reconsider dialogue offer with South

Iran Press TV

Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:18PM

North Korean authorities have threatened to reconsider proposals for dialogue with South Korea after US campaigners sent propaganda balloons and leaflets across the border.

North Korea's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland (CPRF) said in a statement on Wednesday that the move was "intolerable provocation" hurting the dignity of North Korea's leadership and people.

Pyongyang also accused the United States of instigating the action, and threatened to suspend a dialogue offer with Seoul.

"We cannot but think over whether dialogue is necessary with South Korea, which could not even control a grave situation developing on its soil while reading the face of a US tricky group," the statement read.

The developments come two days after North Korean defectors teamed up with activists from the US-based Human Rights Foundation and launched some 100,000 anti-Pyongyang leaflets over the border by balloon.

Pyongyang has long condemned the balloon launches and in recent months has stepped up its demands for Seoul to ban them.

North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un, said on January 1 that he was ready for the "highest-level" talks with neighboring South Korea.

The two Koreas last held high-level negotiations in February 2014. Those talks resulted in a reunion of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War. The two countries had earlier agreed to restart dialogue when a top-ranking North Korean delegation made a surprise visit to the Asian Games held in South Korea in October 2014.

The Korean Peninsula has been locked in a cycle of military rhetoric since the Korean War. No peace deal has been signed since then, meaning that the Koreas remain technically at war.

JR/HSN/SS



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list