Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2012 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- S. Korea Postpones Signing Military Pact with Japan VOA 29 Jun 2012 -- South Korea has requested a last-minute postponement of the signing of an unprecedented agreement with Japan allowing the sharing of classified military data. The delay was caused by political sensitivities in South Korea.
- Defence Equipment Minister develops ties with South Korea UK MOD 26 Jun 2012 -- Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Peter Luff, has visited the Republic of Korea to help develop the defence industrial relationship between the UK and the East Asian country.
- US, S. Korea Launch Live-Fire Military Drills VOA 22 Jun 2012 -- South Korean and U.S. warplanes fired rockets and dropped bombs on mock targets near the North Korean border.
- South Korea, Japan, US Hold Military Drills VOA 21 Jun 2012 -- South Korea is participating in several military exercises, some overlapping and involving other countries including the United States and Japan.
- North Korean Patrol Ship Spotted Near Sea Border VOA 20 Jun 2012 -- South Korean news outlets say a North Korean patrol vessel sailed within the vicinity of the maritime border that separates the two rivals.
- U.S. Forces in S. Korea Massively Beefed up KCNA 20 Jun 2012 -- The units of U.S. forces present in south Korea were reported by south Korean media on June 18 to have been massively reinforced with latest offensive weapons.
- Republic of Korea Navy Assumes Command of Combined Task Force 151 NNS 19 Jun 2012 -- Combined Task Force 151 held a a change of command ceremony aboard British Royal Fleet Auxiliary Fort Victoria, June 18.
- U.S., S. Korea to Hold Big Firepower Strike Drills KCNA 19 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. and the south Korea plan to stage joint firepower strike drills in Phochon, Kyonggi Province on June 22.
- DPRK FM Spokesman on US Arms Buildup KCNA 18 Jun 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA as regards the recent U.S. open arms buildup.
- U.S. Plan for Massive Arms Build-up KCNA 18 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. is now mulling delivering to south Korea ultramodern military hardware worth 325 million US dollars.
- Rodong Sinmun on South Korean Arms Purchases KCNA 18 Jun 2012 -- South Korea is set to purchase modern weapons including "CBU-105" and missiles worth hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars from the United States.
- S. Korea Announces Plan for Combined Drill KCNA 18 Jun 2012 -- The "Chongryong" unit of the south Korean Marine Corps announced that it would stage a combined drill in the areas of Kanghwa County, Inchon City and Kimpho City of Kyonggi Province.
- Locklear: Naval Exercise Will Help Regional Understanding AFPS 15 Jun 2012 -- A two-day naval exercise set for next week involving the United States, South Korea and Japan carries a message for people in the region, the Admiral in charge of the U.S. Pacific Command said here today.
- Joint Statement of the 2012 United States – Republic of Korea Foreign and Defense Ministers’ Meeting Released DoD 14 Jun 2012
- United States, Republic of Korea and Japanese Naval Exercises Announced DoD 13 Jun 2012 -- The United States, the Republic of Korea and Japan will conduct a two-day, trilateral naval exercise June 21 - 22 in the waters south of the Korean peninsula.
- Minju Joson Reveals Truth behind "Spy Case" Fabricated by S. Korean Police KCNA 10 Jun 2012 -- Shortly ago, the south Korean police announced that they uncovered and put into custody spies who provided secret military information including GPS jamming system to the DPRK.
- Yongsan reaches new agreement with ROK Air Force unit Army News 08 Jun 2012 -- Col. William P. Huber, garrison commander for U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan, and Col. Kim, Ik-Hyun, support group commander for 15th Composite Wing, signed an international Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between the two units.
- S. Korea Closely Watching North’s Air Force VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- South Korea's military is declaring it is ready for any provocation from Pyongyang, amid increased activity by North Korean fighter jets.
- Eighth Army signs historic agreement with ROK Army Army News 06 Jun 2012 -- The Eighth Army commander signed a historic agreement with the commander of the Republic of Korea Army formation that serves along the Korean Demilitarized Zone.
- KCNA: Lee Myung Bak Deserves Punishment KCNA 05 Jun 2012 -- The celebrations of the 66th anniversary of the Korean Children's Union now under way are hailed and admired by progressives at home and abroad.
- KCNA: Divine Punishment Awaits S. Korean Leaders KCNA 05 Jun 2012 -- The world is now moved to see the celebrations of the 66th anniversary of the Korean Children's Union.
- North Korea's Military 'Targets' Media Outlets in the South VOA 04 Jun 2012 -- South Korea's government is chiding the North for a specific threat made by its military against some of the media in Seoul.
- Pyongyang Threatens Attacks On South Korean Media RFE/RL 04 Jun 2012 -- North Korea has threatened to blow up the offices of South Korean media outlets following critical coverage of a mass children's event.
- General Staff of KPA Sends Open Ultimatum to ROK KCNA 04 Jun 2012 -- The General Staff of the Korean People's Army sent the following open ultimatum.
- Rodong Sinmun on ROK Purchase of Military Hardware from US KCNA 04 Jun 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak is reportedly envisaging the import of huge amount of military hardware worth of more than ten billion U.S. dollars from the US.
- US-ROK Army conduct joint ammunition retrograde operation at Jinhae Army News 04 Jun 2012 -- These retrograde ammunitions of War Reserve Stocks for Allies-Korea are being uploaded onto the Military Vessel Black Eagle, which will take them back to the United States.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list