Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2011 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- 8th Army hones warfighting skills during KR/FE 2011 Army News 28 Feb 2011 -- Eighth Army is honing its warfighting skills around the Korean Peninsula from Feb. 28 - March 10.
- South Korea, U.S. Begin Annual Military Drills RFE/RL 28 Feb 2011 -- South Korean and U.S. troops have begun annual military drills that North Korea warned could trigger a nuclear war on the divided peninsula.
- US, South Korea Begin Military Drill Amid North Korean War Threats VOA 28 Feb 2011 -- South Korea and the US began their annual extensive joint military exercises, prompting a renewed war threat by North Korea.
- KCNA Denounces US-S. Korea Joint Exercises KCNA 28 Feb 2011 -- The US and south Koreans started joint military exercises for aggression Key Resolve and Foal Eagle across south Korea.
- KCNA Commentary on US-S. Korean Psywar and Military Maneuvers KCNA 28 Feb 2011 -- The Korean People's Army issued stern warning as regards the psychological warfare and military maneuvers against the DPRK.
- S. Korean Authorities Accused of Escalating Military Confrontation KCNA 28 Feb 2011 -- In order to defuse confrontation and tension prevailing on the Korean Peninsula it is necessary to halt all provocative acts.
- KPA Mission Statement on US-S. Korea Exercises KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- The US and the south Koreans are finally launching the DPRK-targeted Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military maneuvers.
- KPA Warning to S. Korean Military for Psywar KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- The south Koreans are bent on anti-DPRK psychological warfare.
- NDC Inspection Group's Statement (2) Reported in S. Korea KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- Inspection group of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK reclarified its stand that the shelling was to cope with the south side's shelling.
- US Seeks to Justify Anti-DPRK War Exercises KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- Walter Sharp, commander ofthe U.S. forces in south Korea: There may be a small local provocation by the DPRK without advance notice.
- KCNA Key Resolve Joint Military Exercises KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- The United States and the south Korean authorities are planning to stage the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle joint military exercises across south Korea from February 28.
- S. Korea to Intensify Reserve Forces' Drill KCNA 27 Feb 2011 -- The south Korean Defense Ministry seeks to intensify military exercises of the reserve forces from this year.
- KCNA on NIS Agents' Intrusion into Hotel Room for Indonesian VIP KCNA 26 Feb 2011 -- On February 16, 3 agents intruded into a hotel room of the party of the Indonesian presidential envoy.
- US, South Korea Closely Monitor North VOA 18 Feb 2011 -- South Korean and U.S. officials are expressing renewed concern about North Korea.
- S. Korea Blamed for Failed Inter-Korean Talks KCNA 17 Feb 2011 -- The south Korean authorities are busy shifting the blame for the failed inter-Korean talks on to the DPRK.
- KCNA on North-South Military Talks KCNA 15 Feb 2011 -- The preliminary talks for opening the north-south high-level military talks came to a rupture some time ago.
- Field Tactical Exercises Slated in S. Korea KCNA 15 Feb 2011 -- The 5th infantry division of the south Korean army announced that it would stage field tactical exercises in Kyonggi Province.
- US, South Korea Announce Major Military Exercises VOA 15 Feb 2011 -- The United States and South Korea say they will begin a new round of joint military exercises later this month.
- S. Korea Urged to Drop Confrontation Policy KCNA 14 Feb 2011 -- The south Korean authorities' policy for confrontation with the DPRK is the main cause of blocking the north-south dialogue.
- KCNA on US-Japan-S. Korea Military Alliance KCNA 14 Feb 2011 -- Essential for ensuring peace and security of Asia and the rest of the world and building a new independent and prosperous Asia.
- S. Korea Blasted for Making Military Talks Abortive KCNA 10 Feb 2011 -- The inter-Korean high-level military talks aimed at wiping out the mistrust and hostility and preventing confrontation and clash between the north and the south failed to open after all. The north side delegation to the north-south military talks Wednesday issued a communique laying bare the true nature of the persistent confrontation policy of the south Korean group of traitors as revealed through the inter-Korean dialogue.
- S. Korea Accused of Killing Military Talks KCNA 10 Feb 2011 -- After the north side's delegation published a communique concerning the failed high-level military talks between the two parts of Korea, people of the DPRK have strongly denounced the south Korean authorities for having brought the talks to breakdown.
- S. Korea's Impudent Approach to Talks Blasted--KCNA Commentary KCNA 10 Feb 2011 -- The south side reacted to the DPRK's patience and magnanimity with arrogance at the preliminary talks for the resumption of the north-south high-level military talks.
- S. Korea's Anti-DPRK Smear Campaign Slashed--Minju Joson KCNA 10 Feb 2011 -- Officials of the south Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade asked U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Steinberg for reference of the DPRK's uranium enrichment to the UNSC recently when he visited south Korea.
- N.Korea says no more talks with South RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2011 -- North Korea's military said Thursday it will no longer seek talks with South Korea over what it called Seoul's reluctance to ease hostility, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.
- Korean Military Talks Break Down VOA 09 Feb 2011 -- South Korea says two days of military talks with North have broken off with no agreement, setting back hopes for a thaw in tense relations between the two countries.
- Koreas Hold First Military Talks Since Island Attack VOA 08 Feb 2011 -- Talks led by colonels of the opposing Korean militaries were held in the border village of Panmunjom, Tuesday -- the first such encounter since last November’s fatal shelling of a South Korean island by North Korea. South Korean officials say the two sides have agreed to hold further talks Wednesday. There are hopes this will mean an easing of tensions between the two Korea's.
- DPRK Proposes Inter-Korean Parliamentary Contact KCNA 03 Feb 2011 -- The Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK sent the south Korean parliament a letter proposing parliamentarian contact and negotiations.
- Naval Military Exercises Staged in S. Korea KCNA 03 Feb 2011 -- A brigade for special warfare of the south Korean navy staged a naval infiltration drill.
- Air Defenders participate in joint training in Korea Army News 02 Feb 2011 -- 6-52nd Air Defense Artillery part of a joint kill chain exercise known as Fleet Synthetic Training-Joint.
- U.S. Soldiers fight foot-and-mouth disease in Korea Army News 02 Feb 2011 -- US Soldiers sprayed down humvees leaving the Rodriguez Live Fire Complex to help prevent the spread of foot-and-mouth disease Jan. 22.
- South Korea's President Offers Possibility of Summit with the North VOA 01 Feb 2011 -- South Korea’s president suggests a summit could be held with North Korea depending on Pyongyang’s attitude.
- Inter-Korean Reconciliation and Unity Called for KCNA 01 Feb 2011 -- The Koreans from the north and the south and abroad should vigorously turn out in the sacred struggle for peace, reunification and prosperity.
- Message to President of S. Korean Red Cross KCNA 01 Feb 2011 -- Chairman of the Central Committee of the Red Cross Society of the DPRK sent a message to the president of the south Korean Red Cross.
- Japan's Past Crimes Disclosed KCNA 01 Feb 2011 -- February 1, 1906, was the day when the Japanese imperialists set up the "residence-general", machinery for cruel colonial rule, in Korea.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list