Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2010 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Exercise shows readiness, capability USMC News 29 Jul 2010 -- Approximately 300 Marines and sailors from 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force, participated in the readiness exercise "Invincible Spirit" in and around the East Sea.
- Aegis Weapon System Verified During Republic of Korea Navy Ship Trials Lockheed Martin 29 Jul 2010 -- The Republic of Korea ship Sejong the Great, supported by the U.S. Navy and Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT), successfully completed a three-week series of trials for the ship’s combat system.
- US, South Korea Commanders Pleased as Joint Exercise Ends VOA 28 Jul 2010 -- US and South Korean military commanders are expressing satisfaction with the results of a 4-day military exercise.
- George Washington Wraps Up Invincible Spirit Navy NewsStand 28 Jul 2010 -- USS George Washington completed its role in the US-Republic of Korea combined alliance military exercise "Invincible Spirit" July 28.
- Maneuvers Aimed at Making Triangular Alliance KCNA 28 Jul 2010 -- US forces are busy with moves to knock into shape a triangular military alliance through on-going exercises.
- South Korean 'Spy' Expelled From Libya VOA 28 Jul 2010 -- A diplomatic source in Seoul says Libya has expelled a South Korean intelligence official accused of spying on Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
- War Games Coincide With Korean War Armistice Anniversary VOA 27 Jul 2010 -- A joint drill with US forces off the east coast of South Korea featured naval cannons fired from ships and the dropping of depth charges.
- Command supports peace, prosperity along Korea DMZ Army News 27 Jul 2010 -- Fischle's helping thousands of workers, along with truckloads of raw materials, cross into North Korea each day.
- US-S. Korea Joint Maneuvers KCNA 27 Jul 2010 -- The US and South Korean forces finally kicked off large-scale joint naval exercises in the East Sea of Korea.
- KCNA and US-S. Korea Maneuvers KCNA 27 Jul 2010 -- The U.S. and the South Korea kicked off the largest-ever joint naval exercises in the East Sea of Korea on July 25.
- Korea tour normalization: More like home now Army News 27 Jul 2010 -- The Dennises developed into significant community leaders in their own right.
- Camp Humphreys readies for more troops, Families Army News 27 Jul 2010 -- The old Camp Humphreys is transforming from a quiet aviation base off the beaten track from Pyongtaek into a major hub for U.S. forces in South Korea.
- Tour normalization efforts in full swing at USAG Red Cloud Army News 27 Jul 2010 -- There are many Soldiers, those on active duty and those who come back to the Army as civil servants, who return for duty in Korea.
- Establishment of Peace-Keeping Regime Called for KCNA 27 Jul 2010 -- The "Cheonan" case put the hostile relations between the DPRK and the U.S. to the worst phase.
- US Carrier at Forefront of Joint War Games with ROK VOA 26 Jul 2010 -- The USS George Washington is the largest and most prominent of the 200 naval vessels participating in a four-day exercise off Korea's east coast.
- US-Korean Exercise Focuses on Anti-Submarine Warfare, Air Defenses VOA 26 Jul 2010 -- The largest joint military exercise by the United States and South Korea in years is underway in the Sea of Japan.
- Joint Military Exercises to Be Staged in S. Korea KCNA 26 Jul 2010 -- US and the south Korea announced that they would stage Ulji Freedom Guardian joint military exercises from August 16 to 26.
- KCNA and Joint Military Exercises in S. Korea KCNA 26 Jul 2010 -- South Korea at last kicked off joint naval maneuvers together with the US under the pretext of "defending" it from somebody's "provocation".
- KCNA and ROK elections KCNA 26 Jul 2010 --Authorities are kicking up a wholesale racket of suppression of the progressive and democratic forces after the "elections to the local self-governing bodies" in south Korea.
- KCNA and ROK Pro-reunification Organization KCNA 26 Jul 2010 -- Supreme Court of south Korea on July 23 sentenced to prison terms Kim Song Il, a member of the Solidarity for Implementing the South-North Joint Declaration.
- Will to Take Retaliatory Measures against Warmongers Declared KCNA 25 Jul 2010 -- US and ROK announced that they would stage joint maneuvers and the Ulji Focus Guardian joint exercises.
- Warmongers to Meet Stern Punishment KCNA 25 Jul 2010 -- The U.S. imperialists finally kicked off large-scale joint naval maneuvers together with the south Korean puppet army in the East Sea of Korea.
- U.S., South Korea launch joint war games in East Sea RIA Novosti 25 Jul 2010 -- The United States and South Korea began on Sunday large-scale military exercises aimed at warning North Korea against any provocative and belligerent actions in the future, the Yonhap news agency reported.
- US, S. Korea Begin Large War Games Off Korean Coast VOA 25 Jul 2010 -- A large 4-day exercise involving U.S and South Korea forces is under way in the Sea of Japan.
- N. Korea Warns US to Stop Military Exercises with South VOA 22 Jul 2010 -- North Korea has said the United States must halt plans for military exercises with South Korea, if it wants to see a nuclear-free Korean peninsula. The warning came on the sidelines of a regional security meeting in Vietnam, which U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is attending.
- Transcript: Joint Press Conference with Secretary Gates, Secretary Clinton, and South Korean Officials from Seoul, South Korea DoD 21 Jul 2010 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, South Korean Minister of National Defense Kim Tae-Young, and South Korean Minister of Foreign Affairs Yu Myung-Hwan
- Thales aboard the Korean Navy Type 214 submarines Thales 21 Jul 2010 -- Thales and Samsung Thales have been selected by the German submarine shipbuilder HDW as the providers of the X-band Satcom Terminal for the six Type 214 submarines to be delivered to the Republic of Korea’s Navy as part of the KSS II Batch 2 programme.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Serious Ruling Crisis KCNA 21 Jul 2010 -- The south Korean ruling quarters find themselves in a serious ruling crisis in the run-up to "by-election to the National Assembly." This is a natural product of their unpopular policies.
- S. Korea Accused of Its Moves to Intensify Anti-DPRK Campaign KCNA 21 Jul 2010 -- The south Korean authorities were recently reported to have held the first "diplomatic and security policy coordination meeting" since the adoption of the presidential statement at the UNSC. At this meeting attended by the ministers of "Foreign Affairs and Trade," "Unification" and "National Defense," and chief diplomatic and security secretaries of "Chongwadae" and others they had an in-depth discussion on putting into practice such "measures against the north" as the joint naval maneuvers with the U.S. they planned to stage over the warship "Cheonan" case, the "escalation of the psychological warfare against the north" and "suspension of the south-north cooperation."
- Plan for South Korea-US Joint Naval Maneuvers Announced KCNA 21 Jul 2010 -- The puppet Ministry of National Defence on July 20 announced that the south Korea-U.S. joint naval maneuvers would be staged in the East Sea of Korea, according to a report of south Korean MBC.
- Joint Statement by Secretary Gates and Secretary Clinton at the DMZ, Panmunjom, Korea DoD 21 Jul 2010
- Cheonan Tragedy Strengthens U.S.-South Korean Alliance AFPS 21 Jul 2010 -- For years, the catchphrase for U.S. and South Korean troops posted here has been “Katchi-Kapshida – We Go Together.”
- Clinton, Gates Reaffirm U.S. Commitment to South Korea AFPS 21 Jul 2010 -- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to South Korea today during a visit to the demilitarized zone that separates the U.S. ally from its communist neighbor to the north.
- Projected S. Korea-US Joint Saber-rattling Assailed KCNA 20 Jul 2010 -- The puppet Ministry of National Defense of south Korea on July 15 announced that south Korea-U.S. joint military exercises would be staged in the East and West Seas of Korea within this month and its specific action plan would be decided upon at "the talks between the U.S. and south Korean diplomatic and defense chiefs" slated to take place in Seoul on July 21.
- US, South Korea Announce 'Show of Force' VOA 20 Jul 2010 -- The United States and South Korea formally announced Tuesday they will conduct naval exercises in the Yellow Sea, between China and the Korean Peninsula, in spite of Chinese government objections. The announcement was made following a meeting between U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates and his South Korean counterpart, Kim Tae-young.
- New Plan Will Lead to Stronger Alliance, Gates Says AFPS 20 Jul 2010 -- With wartime operational control for forces on the Korean peninsula now scheduled to transfer to the South Korean military in December 2015, officials of both countries have time to forge a stronger, more effective alliance, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates told soldiers here today.
- Gates Plans Demilitarized Zone Visit as Gesture of Solidarity AFPS 20 Jul 2010 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates will visit Korea’s demilitarized zone tomorrow in a demonstration of U.S.-South Korean solidarity.
- Seoul Meetings Emphasize Strength of U.S., South Korean Pact AFPS 20 Jul 2010 -- In 1950, the United States and many other countries of the United Nations came to the defense of South Korea when North Korea invaded. The meetings in Seoul beginning tomorrow are a reaffirmation of U.S. commitment to South Korea, said Navy Adm. Mike Mullen.
- U.S.-Korean Defense Leaders Announce Exercise Invincible Spirit AFPS 20 Jul 2010 -- The United States and South Korea today announced a series of military exercises designed to send a strong, clear message to North Korea to stop its provocative and warlike acts.
- Gates Discusses Korea Tour Lengths, Army Deployments AFPS 20 Jul 2010 -- Tour lengths for servicemembers assigned to South Korea and the Army’s deployment cycles were on the minds of soldiers from the 2nd Infantry Division’s 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team when they met with Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates here today.
- Media Availability with Secretary Gates at Camp Casey, South Korea DoD 20 Jul 2010 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Remarks by Secretary Gates at Camp Casey, South Korea DoD 20 Jul 2010 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Media Availability with Geoff Morrell, Adm. Willard and a Senior Defense Official from Seoul, South Korea DoD 20 Jul 2010 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell, Commander, U.S. Pacific Command Adm. Robert Willard and a Senior Defense Official
- US Diplomats, Warships Headed for South Korea VOA 19 Jul 2010 -- Senior U.S. diplomats and two warships are converging on South Korea, in a show of solidarity four months after the sinking of a South Korean military vessel.
- Gates to Underscore U.S. Commitment to South Korea AFPS 19 Jul 2010 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates arrived here tonight for a visit intended to underscore the U.S. commitment to South Korea and provide framework for further strengthening the alliance between the two nations.
- USS George Washington to Visit Republic of Korea AFPS 19 Jul 2010 -- USS George Washington, the U.S. Navy's only permanently forward-deployed aircraft carrier will visit the Korean port of Busan July 21 to 25, U.S. Forces Korea officials announced today.
- Gates Plans Visit to South Korea for '2-plus-2 Talks' AFPS 16 Jul 2010 -- Sending North Korea a strong message key aim of an upcoming visit to South Korea by Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates.
- US Aim Sought in Extending OPCON Disclosed KCNA 15 Jul 2010 -- US President Obama agreed with Lee Myung Bak of south Korea to extend the "transfer of wartime operation control (OPCON)" till December 2015.
- Russian Defense Ministry lukewarm on South Korean warship deal RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2010 -- The Russian Defense Ministry has effectively dismissed the idea of buying a South Korean warship in place of a French ship.
- S. Korea's Dependence on Foreign Forces KCNA 14 Jul 2010 -- During his recent junket to countries in the Americas Lee Myung Bak called for "international cooperation and support" over the case of warship sinking.
- US, ROK Navies Will Exercise in Yellow Sea Despite Chinese Objections VOA 14 Jul 2010 -- The US announced that exercises planned with ROK forces will be held in the Yellow Sea, in spite of Chinese concerns.
- U.S., South Korean Leaders to Meet in Seoul AFPS 14 Jul 2010 -- The defense and foreign ministers of the United States and South Korea will meet next week to discuss joint exercises between the two nations.
- Thorough Probe into Truth behind "Cheonan" Case Called for KCNA 14 Jul 2010 -- The United Nations Security Council recently issued its presidential statement in which it takes note of the stand of the DPRK.
- North Korea delays talks with U.S. on Cheonan warship sinking RIA Novosti 13 Jul 2010 -- Pyongyang has delayed indefinitely talks with the USmilitary to discuss South Korea's Cheonan warship sinking.
- North Korea Asks for Delay for Truce Village Talks VOA 13 Jul 2010 -- North Korea abruptly postponed talks with the U.S.-led United Nations Command in the truce village of Panmunjom.
- US, South Korean Naval Exercises Postponed VOA 13 Jul 2010 -- The United States says planned naval exercises with South Korea have been delayed at least until after next week's bi-lateral ministerial meeting in Seoul.
- KCNA on "Cheonan" Case KCNA 13 Jul 2010 -- The US and the south Korean authorities uttering that they feel disappointment with the presidential statement of the UN Security Council concerning the "Cheonan" case.
- KCNA and Lee's Extension of OPCON KCNA 13 Jul 2010 -- Lee Myung Bak asked America to postpone "the transfer of wartime operation control (OPCON)" till 2015.
- US, South Korea Military Exercises Spark Concern in China VOA 13 Jul 2010 -- China is becoming increasingly worried about plans by the US and South Korea to hold naval exercises in the Yellow Sea.
- US and S. Korean Forces Staging Exercises KCNA 12 Jul 2010 -- The United States was reported to have kicked off the RIMPAC joint military exercises on July 1 in the waters off Hawaii, U.S. which will last till August 1.
- UN Security Council condemns sinking of S.Korea's Cheonan vessel RIA Novosti 11 Jul 2010 -- The UN Security Council condemned the sinking of a South Korean corvette Cheonan and stressed the need to prevent similar attacks in the region.
- UN Condemns South Korea Ship Sinking, Avoids Blaming North Korea RFE/RL 10 Jul 2010 -- The UN Security Council has condemned a deadly attack in March on a South Korean warship that killed 46 sailors.
- FM Spokesman on Presidential Statement of UNSC on "Cheonan" Case KCNA 10 Jul 2010 -- A spokesman for the DPRK Foreign Ministry on Saturday gave the following answer to the question raised by KCNA as regards the issue of the presidential statement of the United Nations Security Council on the "Cheonan" case:
- KPA Not to Be Bound to Modalities and Methods of Talks KCNA 09 Jul 2010 -- The U.S. forces side sent a notice to the DPRK side on June 26 to the effect that it would explain "results of investigation" into the "Cheonan" case.
- UN Security Council Condemns 'Cheonan' Sinking VOA 09 Jul 2010 -- The United Nations Security Council has unanimously condemned the March 26 torpedo attack on the South Korean warship Cheonan, but stopped short of directly condemning North Korea for the attack.
- US Professors Raise Doubts About Report on South Korean Ship Sinking VOA 09 Jul 2010 -- A new study by U.S. researchers raises questions about the investigation into the sinking of a South Korean navy ship. International investigators blamed a North Korean torpedo, raising tensions on the Korean peninsula.
- Security Council condemns recent sinking of Republic of Korea ship UN News Centre 09 Jul 2010 -- The Security Council today condemned the recent sinking of a Republic of Korea (ROK) naval vessel, stressing the need to prevent further attacks both against the East Asian nation and in the region.
- Intelligence Training Commands Host Korean Representatives Navy NewsStand 08 Jul 2010 -- A delegation of intelligence representatives from the Republic of Korea (RoK) visited the Center for Naval Intelligence (CNI) in Virginia Beach, Va., June 28, for an overview of U.S. Navy intelligence training.
- Russia, S.Korea to hold joint military drills in Sea of Japan RIA Novosti 07 Jul 2010 -- Russian and South Korean coast guards will hold joint anti-piracy and antiterrorism drills on Wednesday in the Sea of Japan, a Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) border guard spokesman said.
- Russian, South Korean Coast Guards to hold anti-piracy joint drills RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2010 -- Russian and South Korean Coast Guards will hold joint antipiracy and antiterrorism drills on July 7 in the Sea of Japan, the regional Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) border guards department spokeswoman said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list