Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2006 - South Korea Special Weapons News
- Agreement of Joint National Committee Adopted KCNA 29 Apr 2006 -- An agreement of the Joint National Committee for the Implementation of the June 15 Joint Declaration (June 15 Joint National Committee) was adopted on April 27.
- South Korean Intelligence Says at Least 5 Abductees Alive in North VOA 28 Apr 2006 -- In a closed-door briefing, South Korea's top intelligence official told lawmakers at least five South Korean abductees are known to be alive in North Korea.
- South Korean President Warns Japan Over Island Dispute VOA 25 Apr 2006 -- South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun has accused Japan of clinging to what he called a "dark nostalgia" for its imperial past
- South Side's Delegation to Inter-Korean Ministerial Talks Leaves KCNA 25 Apr 2006 -- A south side's delegation with Minister of Unification Ri Jong Sok as its chief delegate left Pyongyang today after participating in the 18th inter-Korean ministerial talks.
- Joint Press Release on 18th Inter-Korean Ministerial Talks Published KCNA 25 Apr 2006 -- The 18th north-south ministerial talks were held here from April 21 to 24. At the talks both sides issued a joint press release after discussing practical issues arising in settling fundamental issues related to the political, military and economic relations between the north and the south and agreeing on them.
- Inter-Korean Ministerial Talks Open KCNA 24 Apr 2006 -- The 18th north-south ministerial talks opened here Saturday.
- Last Minute Diplomacy Averts Standoff Between South Korea, Japan VOA 22 Apr 2006 -- Senior envoys from Japan and South Korea have resolved the latest flare-up in a decades-long dispute over islands that both nations claim
- Japan Sends Envoy to South Korea to Discuss Island Dispute VOA 21 Apr 2006 -- A senior Japanese envoy is meeting South Korean officials in Seoul in an attempt to resolve a worsening dispute over an island chain both countries claim
- S. Korea, Japan Explore Diplomatic Exit From Tense Island Dispute VOA 20 Apr 2006 -- South Korea and Japan are working to prevent a diplomatic confrontation over disputed islands from escalating
- South Korea Preparing for 'All Scenarios' in Island Dispute With Japan VOA 19 Apr 2006 -- South Korea is using unusually stern language to warn Japan against conducting a scientific survey near islands that both countries claim as their own
- S. Korea May Give North 'Bold Economic Assistance' in Exchange for Abductees VOA 18 Apr 2006 -- South Korea's top official on dealings with North Korea says Seoul is ready to pay Pyongyang for the return of abductees and prisoners of war.
- S. Korea Warns of 'Stern Measures' to Prevent Japanese Survey of Disputed Islands VOA 17 Apr 2006 -- South Korean authorities are vowing to use all legal measures to stop Japan from carrying out a survey in what they view as South Korean territorial waters
- Korean Government Gives Final « Go Ahead » for Korean Helicopter Program (KHP) EADS 13 Apr 2006 -- Eurocopter warmly welcomes the final decision made by Korea’s DAPA (Defense Acquisition Program Administration) for the acquisition of 245 utility helicopters to be developed by Korea Aerospace Industries Limited in partnership with Eurocopter, and produced as from 2011 onwards
- S. Korean Film Director, Former North Abductee Dies VOA 12 Apr 2006 -- A well-known South Korean film director, who said he spent nine years as a captive of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, has died
- U.S. Schemes to Sell New-type Missiles to S. Korea KCNA 08 Apr 2006 -- The Security Cooperation Agency of the U.S. Department of Defense announced through a congress report that it is pushing forward the sale of 42 new-type air-to-ship Harpoon missiles to south Korea, according to the south Korean KBS.
- Peasants of North and South Meet KCNA 06 Apr 2006 -- A meeting of representatives of peasants' organizations of the north and the south for implementing the June 15 joint declaration was held in Kaesong on April 4.
- S. Korean Warhawks' Moves for Nuclear Armament Flayed KCNA 06 Apr 2006 -- The south Korean warhawks are taking the road of their own nuclear armament, which is a very dangerous development and an unpardonable anti-national act
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list