Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan Urges US to 'Quickly' Complete Review of Peace Deal with Afghan Taliban VOA 26 Feb 2021 -- A senior Pakistan diplomat Friday stressed the need for the United States to demonstrate urgency in concluding its reassessment of a February 2020 peace pact with Afghanistan's Taliban to enable the ensuing reconciliation talks between warring Afghans to move forward.
- Pakistan Given Extension For Removal From Terror-Financing Watch List To Address 'Deficiencies' RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Feb 2021 -- A global money-laundering watchdog has given Pakistan an extension until June to be removed from a terrorism-financing list.
- Joint Statement India PIB 25 Feb 2021 -- The Director Generals of Military Operations of India and Pakistan held discussions over the established mechanism of hotline contact. The two sides reviewed the situation along the Line of Control and all other sectors in a free, frank and cordial atmosphere.
- Pakistan, India Agree to Immediate Ceasefire, Restoring 2003 Truce VOA 25 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan and India have agreed to immediately cease military hostilities in disputed Kashmir by restoring a 2003 truce to deescalate tensions between the nuclear-armed South Asian rivals.
- Pakistan, India agree to end firing along disputed Kashmir border Press TV 25 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan and India have agreed to strictly observe a ceasefire along the de facto border in disputed Kashmir, following months of clashes between the two countries.
- India, Pakistan Agree to Stop Cross-Border Fire in Kashmir After 2 Record Years of Violations Sputnik 25 Feb 2021 -- The two countries had been accusing each other of a record number of ceasefire violations since the Narendra Modi government revoked Jammu and Kashmir's temporary special status in August 2019. However, several surprise statements were made from Pakistan's establishment earlier this month, indicating thaw in bitterness over the Kashmir dispute.
- Pakistan 'Optimistic' About Progress in Stalemated Afghan Peace Process VOA 22 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's military said Monday that efforts aimed at moving forward a stalemated peace process in neighboring Afghanistan are "progressing in a very positive direction."
- Police Say Militants Kill Four Women Activists In Pakistan-Afghanistan Border Area RFE/RL Gandhara 22 Feb 2021 -- Suspected militants have ambushed a vehicle carrying four women activists from an NGO in the northwest region of Pakistan that borders Afghanistan, killing them and wounding the driver.
- Political Party Grows Out Of Pashtun Civil Rights Movement RFE/RL Gandhara 22 Feb 2021 -- Leaders and supporters of a civil rights movement campaigning against alleged abuses by the security forces and the Taliban in western Pakistan's Pashtun heartland are preparing to launch a new political party to appeal to a broader secular base nationwide.
- Pakistan Records 1,340 New Cases of Covid-19 SPA 20 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan recorded 1,340 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed infections to 569,846, of which 24081 are active cases.
- Five Pakistani Soldiers Killed In Two Attacks In Balochistan RFE/RL Gandhara 20 Feb 2021 -- At least five members of Pakistan's paramilitary corps have been killed in two separate attacks in the restive province of Balochistan, officials said.
- Russian Envoy Visits Pakistan as Part of Effort to Jumpstart Stalled Afghan Peace Process VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- Russia's special envoy for Afghanistan visited Islamabad Friday to encourage Pakistan's support for a meeting in Moscow to help facilitate the stalled Afghan peace process.
- U.S. General Visits Pakistan As Washington Mulls Delaying Afghan Withdrawal RFE/RL Gandhara 19 Feb 2021 -- The commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East, Central Asia, and parts of South Asia has held talks with Pakistani military leaders about the possibility of postponing the withdrawal of foreign forces from neighboring Afghanistan amid stalled peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban.
- Pakistani Tribes Exchange Gunfire In Land Dispute RFE/RL Gandhara 18 Feb 2021 -- A land dispute between two tribes in Pakistan's South Waziristan tribal district has led to gunfire exchanges between gunmen positioned on hilltops, residents and officials told RFE/RL.
- The Human Cost Of Balochistan's Separatist Conflict RFE/RL Gandhara 17 Feb 2021 -- The mysterious death of her daughter shattered Jamila, a grandmother in her 60s. She recalls the day she sent her eldest daughter, Karima Baloch, into exile in response to mounting threats in Pakistan.
- South Waziristan Bazaar Under Lockdown After Attack On Security Forces RFE/RL Gandhara 17 Feb 2021 -- Pakistani security forces have locked down two areas of the northwestern South Waziristan tribal district as they conduct search operations for militants following two recent deadly attacks claimed by the Pakistani Taliban.
- Pakistan says India posing 'immediate threat' to regional peace Press TV 16 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has voiced concern about India's acquisition of advanced naval weapons technology and accused New Delhi of adopting "aggressive policies" toward Islamabad.
- Iranian military delegation observes operational phase of Aman-21 exercise in Pakistan IRNA 16 Feb 2021 -- Iranian military delegation representing General Staff of the Armed Forces on Tuesday observed operational phase of the Aman-21 multinational exercise in the Arabian Sea hosted by the Pakistani Navy.
- Pakistan Hosts 45 Navies for Joint Drills, Including Russia, China, NATO Members Sputnik 12 Feb 2021 -- The last time Russian naval forces drilled with their counterparts in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization was 10 years ago off the coast of Spain, during the "Bold Monarch" exercises.
- Pakistan Approves Chinese CanSinoBIO COVID-19 Vaccine for Emergency Use SPA 12 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan has approved China's CanSino Biologics Inc's (CanSinoBIO) COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use, Pakistan's Health Minister Faisal Sultan said on Friday, Reuters reported.
- Attack On Pakistani Security Post Near Afghan Border Leaves Four Troops, Four Militants Dead RFE/RL 12 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's military said on February 12 that a group of militants had attacked a security post in the northwest of the country, killing four troops in the ensuing shootout along with four insurgents.
- Militant Raid Kills 4 Pakistani Troops Near Afghan Border VOA 12 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan said Friday four of its soldiers were killed when "terrorists" raided a security post in a remote northwestern district.
- Int'l naval exercise Aman-21 begins in Pakistan with Iran's presence IRNA 12 Feb 2021 -- The seventh edition of the multinational maritime exercise Aman-2021 kicked off in Pakistan's Karachi with the participation of 45 countries, including a delegation from General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran on Friday.
- Iran, Pakistan urge enhanced maritime cooperation, security, joint maneuvers Press TV 12 Feb 2021 -- Iran and Pakistan have urged the promotion of cooperation on maritime security and interaction between the naval forces.
- PLA destroyer flotilla joins multinational drills in Pakistan with US, Russian navies Global Times 12 Feb 2021 -- A Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy flotilla led by a Type 052D destroyer on Thursday started participating in a multinational exercise in Pakistan, a unique platform experts said that provides opportunities for Chinese and Russian navies to come together with their counterparts from the US and other Western countries.
- In Massive Rollout, Pakistan Plans To Vaccinate Two-Thirds Of Population Against COVID-19 RFE/RL Gandhara 11 Feb 2021 -- Like many countries around the world, Pakistan is strategizing how to most efficiently get a hold of enough doses of the vaccine against COVID-19. Faisal Sultan, Prime Minister Imran Khan's special adviser on national health services, spoke to Radio Mashaal about the country's plans to vaccinate a majority of its estimated 220 million population.
- With Few Job Options, Balochistan Residents Turn To Smuggling RFE/RL Gandhara 11 Feb 2021 -- Nabeel Sasoli spent months searching for a job after graduating three years ago in Pakistan's restive southern province of Balochistan.
- Pakistan Army Conducts Successful Test Launch of Surface-to-Surface Babur Cruise Missile SPA 11 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan Army on Thursday successfully test-fired a short range surface-to-surface ballistic missile capable of hitting land and sea targets with 'high precision' up to 450 kilometers away, a press release by the Inter-Services Public Relations said.
- Chinese naval fleet heads for joint exercise in Pakistan PLA Daily 11 Feb 2021 -- A fleet of the People's Liberation Army Navy on Thursday set off for Pakistan to attend a multilateral joint naval exercise at the invitation of the Pakistani navy, China's Ministry of National Defense said.
- Pakistan's Top Court Orders Authorities To Rebuild Hindu Temple Destroyed By Mob RFE/RL Gandhara 09 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court has directed regional authorities in northwestern Pakistan to rebuild a century-old Hindu shrine that was destroyed in a mob attack in late December.
- Pakistan Approves Temporary Extension in Afghan Transit Trade Pact VOA 09 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan has approved a three-month extension in its decade-old transit trade agreement with landlocked Afghanistan, allowing the two sides to finalize and sign a revised version of the document currently under review.
- Pakistan to Host Russia, NATO Members for Joint Naval Drill VOA 08 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan announced Monday it will host navies from 45 countries, including the United States, China and Russia, for a joint military exercise in the North Arabian Sea later this month.
- Gwadar a commercial port, to receive port calls by ships of different navies: Pakistan Navy chief Global Times 08 Feb 2021 -- The Gwadar Port is a commercial port that may receive port calls by ships of different navies, said Admiral M Amjad Khan Niazi, Chief of the Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy, in a recent exclusive interview with the Global Times, in response to media reports claiming the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is mulling to build a naval base in Pakistan.
- Pakistan Navy welcomes potential exercises with, visits by Chinese aircraft carriers: Pakistan Navy chief Global Times 08 Feb 2021 -- The Pakistan Navy would like to conduct an exercise with aircraft carriers of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and welcome their visits, Admiral M Amjad Khan Niazi, Chief of the Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy, told the Global Times in a recent exclusive interview.
- China, Pakistan strength naval collaboration with arms procurement: Pakistan Navy chief Global Times 08 Feb 2021 -- Naval collaboration between China and Pakistan is strengthening with a series of arms procurements, as Pakistan is acquiring Chinese-made frigates that will be one of the most technologically advanced platforms of the Pakistan Navy and submarines that would substantially add to the offensive capability of the Pakistan Navy, Admiral M Amjad Khan Niazi, Chief of the Naval Staff of the Pakistan Navy, told the Global Times in a recent exclusive interview.
- Chinese PLA provides COVID-19 vaccine to Pakistani military PLA Daily 07 Feb 2021 -- In order to implement President Xi Jinping's important declaration on China's COVID-19 vaccine as a global public good, at the request of the Pakistani military, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) delivered a batch of COVID-19 vaccine to the Pakistani military on February 7, according to a written statement by China's Ministry of National Defense on Sunday.
- PLA provides COVID-19 vaccines to Pakistani army PLA Daily 07 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Sunday delivered a batch of COVID-19 vaccines to the Pakistani army at their request, according to an official statement from the PLA.
- PLA provides COVID-19 vaccines to Pakistani army PLA Daily 07 Feb 2021 -- In order to implement President Xi Jinping's important declaration on China's COVID-19 vaccine as a global public good, at the request of the Cambodian military, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) delivered a batch of COVID-19 vaccine to the Cambodian military on February 7, according to a written statement by China's Ministry of National Defense on Sunday.
- Pakistani, Cambodian armies among the first to receive COVID-19 vaccines from PLA Global Times 07 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) handed over batches of COVID-19 vaccines to the Pakistani and Cambodian militaries on Sunday, making the two the first foreign armies to receive vaccines provided by the Chinese military.
- Pakistan Fences Off Afghanistan, Impacting Families And Fighters RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Feb 2021 -- Families, traders, and guerrilla fighters have for generations moved freely across the porous border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- PM Khan: Pakistan to Allow Kashmiris to 'Choose Independence' VOA 05 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan organized nationwide annual marches and rallies Friday to reaffirm its political support for residents of the India-ruled part of Kashmir, a Muslim-majority region split between the two arch-rival countries.
- Pakistan administers Chinese COVID-19 vaccines to health workers People's Daily 04 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan formally started the drive to administer the China-donated Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines to its frontline healthcare workers on Wednesday, the National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) said.
- Pakistani, Chinese navies play important roles in maintaining maritime order of Indian Ocean: Exclusive with Pakistan Navy chief Global Times 04 Feb 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy is scheduled to participate in the Multinational Exercise AMAN-2021 hosted by Pakistan in February as dozens of navies around the world are about to gather in Karachi.
- Two Soldiers, Four 'Terrorists' Killed In Raid In Pakistan Tribal District RFE/RL Gandhara 03 Feb 2021 -- The Pakistani military says troops have raided a militant compound in the northwestern North Waziristan tribal district, triggering a shoot-out that killed four "terrorists" and two soldiers.
- Pakistan administers Chinese COVID-19 vaccines to health workers People's Daily 03 Feb 2021 -- A drive to administer the China-donated Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccines to frontline healthcare workers was formally kicked off across Pakistan on Wednesday, the National Command and Operation Center (NCOC) said.
- Pakistan kicks off COVID-19 inoculations with Chinese vaccines PLA Daily 03 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan launched COVID-19 vaccination drive with China-donated vaccines on Tuesday as part of the country's efforts to bring the pandemic under control.
- Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over LoC ceasefire violations People's Daily 03 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan summoned a senior Indian diplomat on Tuesday to lodge a protest over ceasefire violations by Indian military along the Line of Control (LoC) in the Kashmir region, the Foreign Ministry of Pakistan said.
- Arabic In Schools: New Requirement Rekindles Identity Debate In Pakistan RFE/RL Gandhara 03 Feb 2021 -- A new bill making the study of Arabic compulsory at Islamabad's schools has rekindled a debate over whether the Pakistani capital should mold the country's diverse population into an Islamic nation or embrace being a multicultural state.
- Pakistan Starts COVID-19 Inoculation Drive VOA 02 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan began its COVID-19 vaccine drive Tuesday, with front-line health care workers slated to receive the inoculations in the first phase.
- Pakistan's Supreme Court Confirms Decision To Release Men Accused In Daniel Pearl Murder Case RFE/RL Gandhara 02 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's Supreme Court has ordered the release from prison of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, the man acquitted of the gruesome beheading of American journalist Daniel Pearl.
- Pakistani Court Orders Better Lodging for Man Convicted in US Journalist Pearl's Murder VOA 02 Feb 2021 -- Pakistan's highest court has ordered that a man previously convicted of kidnapping and killing American journalist Daniel Pearl be moved from jail to a secure but more comfortable lodging and given access to his family.
- China-donated COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Pakistan People's Daily 01 Feb 2021 -- A plane carrying Chinese donation of COVID-19 vaccines for Pakistan has arrived in the country, Special Assistant to the Pakistani Prime Minister on Health Faisal Sultan said on Monday.
- Pakistan's Opposition At A Crossroads After PM Refuses To Step Down RFE/RL Gandhara 01 Feb 2021 -- In September, 11 leading Pakistani political parties launched an alliance to demand Prime Minister Imran Khan's resignation. They claimed he had assumed power after the country's powerful military rigged parliamentary elections in favor of his Pakistan Tehreek-e Insaf (PTI) political party in July 2018.
- Second China-made Type 054A/P frigate for Pakistan is launched PLA Daily 01 Feb 2021 -- The second Type-054A/P frigate for the Pakistani Navy, made by China, was launched at the Hudong-Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai on January 29. Commodore Azfar Humayun, Chief Naval Overseer of the Pakistani Navy, attended the launch ceremony.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list