Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Top Afghan Negotiator In Pakistan As Talks With Taliban Continue RFE/RL 28 Sep 2020 -- Afghanistan's top peace negotiator has arrived in neighboring Pakistan as intra-Afghan peace negotiations are under way in the Persian Gulf state of Qatar.
- US Reiterates Mediation Offer as Pakistan, India Report Fresh Border Clashes VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Pakistan and India have reported "intense" cross-border clashes in the disputed Kashmir territory a day after the United States reiterated its offer to facilitate peace talks between the South Asian rivals.
- Pakistan Begins Phase 3 Trial of Chinese COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 22 Sep 2020 -- Pakistan began final-phase testing Tuesday of a Chinese-made vaccine against novel coronavirus, the first ever clinical trial of its kind in the South Asian nation.
- Iran attends Caucasus 2020 drills IRNA 21 Sep 2020 -- Caucasus 2020 military drills started work in the presence of 13,000 military forces from Iran, Russia, China, Pakistan, Belarus, and Myanmar in the rim of the Caspian Sea, and the Black Sea on Monday.
- Attack of Pakistani Forces on Indian Positions India PIB 19 Sep 2020 -- There have been no attacks by Pakistani forces on Indian positions along the Line of Control and International Border with Pakistan. However, Pakistan troops have been resorting to persistent ceasefire violations along the Line of Control.
- Nearly Two Dozen Pakistani Schools Closed For Flouting Coronavirus Rules RFE/RL 17 Sep 2020 -- Pakistani authorities say they have closed down almost two dozen educational institutions for failing to comply with rules aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.
- Cases of Infiltration from Pakistan and China India PIB 16 Sep 2020 -- The number of cases of attempted infiltration along Indo-Pakistan border during the last six months are as under:
- Indian Soldier Killed, Two Injured After Pakistani Troops Open Fire on Kashmir Border Sputnik 16 Sep 2020 -- India continues to face a two-front threat on its border, with tensions intensifying with China on the Line of Actual Control and with Pakistan at the Line of Control in contested Jammu and Kashmir. This year has seen the highest number of Pakistani ceasefire violations in 17 years, India alleges, claiming there have been 3,186 such incidents.
- Infiltration by Pakistani Militants/ Terrorists India PIB 16 Sep 2020 -- The details of infiltration by Pakistani militants in Jammu and Kashmir during the last two years and the current year (upto July, 2020) are as under: -
- Steps to Restore Peace in Kashmir India PIB 16 Sep 2020 -- The number of civilians killed and security personnel got martyrdom during the period 05.08.2019 to 10.09.2020 in Jammu and Kashmir are as under: -
- Pakistan Starts Reopening Educational Institutions After Six-Month Hiatus RFE/RL 15 Sep 2020 -- Millions of students across Pakistan have returned to classes following a six-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Millions of Children in Pakistan Return to School Post-virus Crisis VOA 15 Sep 2020 -- Millions of children in Pakistan returned to learning in schools and universities Tuesday after a six-month-long closure due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Blast In Northwestern Pakistan Kills Soldier, Wounds Three Others RFE/RL 15 Sep 2020 -- A Pakistani soldier was killed and three others wounded when their vehicle hit an improvised explosive device in the northwestern South Waziristan tribal district.
- Pakistan Air Force Aircraft Crashes in Punjab Province Sputnik 15 Sep 2020 -- An accident involving a Pakistan Air Force jet on a training mission has occurred in Punjab province, according to local media reports. It is the fifth crash involving a PAF aircraft this year.
- US Hails Pakistan's Role in Advancing Afghan Peace Process VOA 14 Sep 2020 -- America's peace envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, visited Pakistan on Monday and conveyed Washington's gratitude for the "important role" Islamabad has played in easing the start of reconciliation talks between warring Afghan parties, officials said.
- CEASEFIRE VIOLATIONS BY PAKISTAN IN J&K India PIB 14 Sep 2020 -- There have been 3186 incidents of Ceasefire Violations along Line of Control in Jammu region in this year (from 01 January to 07 September, 2020). In addition, 242 incidents of cross-border firing have occurred along Indo-Pak International Border in Jammu region in this year (01 January to 31 August, 2020).
- Military Says 'Terrorist Commander' Killed In Northwestern Pakistan RFE/RL 14 Sep 2020 -- The Pakistani military says it has killed a "terrorist" commander and three other militants in the country's northwest.
- Pakistani security forces kill mastermind of 30 terrorist attacks IRNA 07 Sep 2020 -- Pakistani security forces during an intelligence based operation have killed mastermind of 30 terrorist attacks and his four accomplices in northwestern Waziristan region, a military statement said on Monday.
- Pakistani Nuclear Power Plant's K2 Unit Completes Thermal Testing Using China's Hualong One Tech Sputnik 07 Sep 2020 -- China's domestically-produced nuclear technology received a major push on Friday as the Hualong One reactor completed fuel loading for the first time in Unit 5 at the Fuqing nuclear power plant. China is in line to surpass France as the second nuclear generator in the world by 2022 and may claim the top spot, replacing the US, a few years later.
- Exposé On Former General's Vast Wealth Spurs Debate About Military Privilege In Pakistan RFE/RL 06 Sep 2020 -- Pakistan's powerful generals have for decades cited political corruption as a leading problem in the country that justified the toppling of governments through repeated coups and the military's manipulation of power.
- End secret detention of rights defender, independent experts urge Pakistani authorities UN News 04 Sep 2020 -- Independent UN rights experts have called on the Government of Pakistan to end the secret detention of a human rights defender, who has not been heard from in more than nine months.
- India on High Alert as Defence Chief Talks of Coordinated Threat From China, Pakistan Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- India and China were recently involved in a skirmish in the Chushul area of Ladakh on the night of 29-30 August. Since then the two Asian giants have been accusing each other of crossing the loosely demarcated Line of Actual Control in Ladakh. In June, India lost 20 soldiers in one such clash with the Chinese Army.
- Roadside Bombing In Northwestern Pakistan Kills Three Soldiers RFE/RL 03 Sep 2020 -- A Pakistani official says a roadside explosion in the northwestern South Waziristan tribal district has left three soldiers dead and another wounded.
- Experts: Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan Merger with Splinter Groups 'Bad News' for Pakistan VOA 03 Sep 2020 -- While reconciliation efforts between the government and the Taliban are still underway in Afghanistan, Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has announced a reunification with Jamaat-ul-Ahrar (JuA) and Hizbul Ahrar – a move that experts warn could be the beginning of increasingly hostile activities against Pakistan.
- Facebook Says It Removed Networks Of Fake Accounts In Russia, Pakistan RFE/RL 01 Sep 2020 -- Facebook says it has removed three networks of fake accounts last month located in Russia, Pakistan, and the United States as it seeks to combat "influence operations" on its platform.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list