Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2020 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Pakistan Railway Converts Train Cars Into COVID-19 Isolation Units VOA 31 Mar 2020 -- With train service suspended in the country, Pakistan railway officials have begun converting air-conditioned sleeper and business class cars into medical wards for COVID-19 virus patients.
- Pakistan: 21 Deaths and 1,625 Infections of COVID-19 SPA 30 Mar 2020 -- Special Assistant to the Prime Minister of Pakistan for Health Dr. Zafar Mirza has announced that the death rate of the novel Corona virus (COVID-19) in Pakistan has risen to 21, with the number of those infected reaching 1625 cases.
- Fourth batch of medical supplies from China arrives in Pakistan Global Times 30 Mar 2020 -- The fourth batch of medical supplies provided by the Chinese government from China's Wuhan arrived at Pakistan's Noor Khan Air Base near Islamabad on Sunday.
- Chinese medical team arrives in Pakistan to help fight COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Mar 2020 -- An 8-member medical expert team organized by the Chinese government arrived here on Saturday to help Pakistan fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Pakistan Converts Hundreds of Hotels Into Quarantine Centers VOA 28 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan has converted hundreds of hotels into temporary quarantine centers, one of several urgent steps to ensure its traditionally ill-prepared public health care system can deal with the coronavirus pandemic.
- China temporarily opens Khunjerab Pass in Xinjiang for medical supplies to Pakistan Global Times 27 Mar 2020 -- China temporarily opened the Khunjerab Pass on the China-Pakistan border in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Friday to help Pakistan receive urgent medical supplies against the spread of COVID-19.
- IMF says Pakistan requests emergency coronavirus financing SPA 27 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan has requested an emergency loan disbursement from the International Monetary Fund to help fight the coronavirus under the fund's Rapid Financing Instrument program, IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said on Friday, Reuters reported.
- Pakistani Clerics Insist on Keeping Mosques Open VOA 25 Mar 2020 -- Several of Pakistan's senior religious leaders announced Wednesday that they will keep mosques open for group prayers, on a day when the country's confirmed cases of COVID-19 crossed the 1,000 mark, and most of the country is under a lockdown.
- Pakistan Cuts Interest Rates, Sets $6 Billion To Offset Economic Impact Of Virus RFE/RL 24 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan has announced a financial-relief package of some $6 billion and cut its benchmark interest rate for the second time in a week in an effort to counter the divesting effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the economy.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 918 in Pakistan SPA 24 Mar 2020 -- The Pakistani authorities announced today that the number of cases of Coronavirus in Pakistan rose to 918.
- Pakistan Confirms 1st Prisoner with COVID-19 in Crowded Jail VOA 24 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Pakistan Tuesday confirmed the country's first coronavirus case among thousands of inmates in an overcrowded prison facility, saying the person had been arrested on drug charges in Italy before his recent deportation.
- Authorities Order Two-Week Shutdown in Southern Pakistan VOA 23 Mar 2020 -- Pakistani authorities patrolled the streets of Karachi, Monday to enforce a two-week complete lockdown ordered in southern Pakistan as the number of positive coronavirus tests jumped to at least 799 across the country.
- Pakistan ends international air traffic; coronavirus cases top 500 SPA 21 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan on Saturday announced the suspension of all international flights for two weeks in order to prevent the further spread of coronavirus in the country, dpa reported.
- Pakistan Halts International Flights to Counter Coronavirus VOA 21 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan temporarily halted all international incoming and outgoing flights Saturday to try to curtail the spread of coronavirus as the national tally of confirmed infections grew to nearly 700, including three deaths.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Telephone Call with Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa DoD 19 Mar 2020
- Pakistan reports 245 coronavirus cases SPA 18 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan's Covid-19 infections continued rising on Wednesday, with 50 new cases reported in the last 24 hours, officials said, according to dpa.
- Pakistan: Firefight Near Afghan Border Kills 4 Troops, 7 'Terrorists' VOA 18 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan said Wednesday a counterterrorism military raid near the border with Afghanistan has killed at least four soldiers, including an officer, and seven "terrorists."
- Pakistan sees sharp rise in Covid-19 cases, total infections at 195 SPA 17 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan's Covid-19 infections rose sharply on Tuesday, with more than 140 new cases appearing over the course of 36 hours, dpa reported.
- Coronavirus Cases in Pakistan Spike; Dozens of Cases Reported VOA 16 Mar 2020 -- The number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan jumped Monday from 52 to more than 180, with most of the patients being returnees from Iran. The situation has raised fears the outbreak could pose a major challenge to an already strained national health care system.
- Rising COVID-19 Cases Pose Challenge to Pakistan's Crumbling Health Care System VOA 16 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan said Monday another 50 nationals returning from Iran have tested positive for coronavirus, taking the national tally of infections to at least 92, with zero deaths, and posing a major challenge to an already under pressure health care system.
- Pakistan Seals Borders, Shuts Schools, Bans Public Events Over Coronavirus VOA 13 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan moved Friday to temporarily seal borders with Iran and Afghanistan, close all educational institutions and ban large gatherings at public places for three weeks, including wedding parties, to prevent the coronavirus pandemic from spreading in the region.
- Pakistan Links Some of Its 21 Coronavirus Cases to Syria VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Pakistan Thursday said the number of coronavirus cases in the country has risen to 21, noting that eight of them were imported from Syria.
- Pakistan Air Force F-16 jet crashes in Islamabad IRNA 11 Mar 2020 -- A Pakistan Air Force F-16 Jet crashed in Islamabad on Wednesday involved in rehearsals for Pakistan Day military parade to be held on March 23.
- Pakistani air force aircraft crashes in Islamabad People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- A Pakistan Air Force (PAF) F-16 fighter jet crashed in the capital of Islamabad on Wednesday during a rehearsal ahead of the Pakistan Day parade, spokesperson of the PAF Syed Ahmer Raza told Xinhua.
- Pakistani Pilot Dies In Fighter Jet Crash In Islamabad RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- A Pakistani pilot died when his F-16 jet crashed in a wooded area in the capital, Islamabad, the Pakistani Air Force says.
- Pilot killed in Pakistan Air Force F-16 crash in Islamabad SPA 11 Mar 2020 -- A Pakistan Air Force F-16 fighter jet crashed on Wednesday in a parade ground in the capital, Islamabad, killing the pilot as he was rehearsing for a Pakistan Day air show, the air force said, according to Reuters.
- Pakistan says coronavirus cases on rise IRNA 03 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan's Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Health Dr Zafar Mirza has confirmed Pakistan's fifth case of coronavirus.
- Pakistan Shuts Afghan Border to Stop Spread of Coronavirus VOA 02 Mar 2020 -- Pakistan has temporarily closed a key southwestern crossing point with Afghanistan, saying the move is meant to prevent the spread of coronavirus on both sides of the border.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list