Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2015 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- Afghanistan, Pakistanistan set up military hotline Press TV 30 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan and Afghanistan have established a hotline between their respective military commanders in an attempt to reduce bilateral tensions and prevent cross-border clashes.
- Pakistan Bombing Highlights IS Threat in Afghan-Pakistan Region VOA 29 Dec 2015 -- The suicide bombing Tuesday at a government office building in northwest Pakistan highlights the increasingly violent presence of the Islamic State militant group in the Afghanistan-Pakistan region.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan to Hold Peace Talks With Taliban Next Week - Kabul Sputnik 29 Dec 2015 -- According to the Afghan Foreign Ministry, Kabul is preparing for peace talks with the Taliban next week.
- Suicide Attack Kills 26 in Mardan, Pakistan VOA 29 Dec 2015 -- A suicide blast in Mardan, Pakistan, has left at least 26 people dead and more than 20 others wounded.
- Pakistani police detain over 13 suspected Daesh militants Press TV 29 Dec 2015 -- Pakistani counter-terrorism forces have detained at least 13 Daesh suspected militants who were planning to carry out terror attacks across the violence-hit country.
- India detains ex-army officer for passing secrets to Pakistan Press TV 29 Dec 2015 -- Indian police have detained a former Indian Air Force officer on charges of passing secrets to Pakistan's premier spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI).
- Pakistan army chief in Afghanistan to revive talks with Taliban Press TV 27 Dec 2015 -- Chief of Pakistan's Army Staff General Raheel Sharif has set off for a visit to neighboring Afghanistan to rekindle stalled peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban militant group.
- Pakistan's Army Chief Holds Talks In Kabul RFE/RL 27 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan's army chief has held talks in Kabul with top Afghan officials as part of new efforts to revive talks between the Afghan government and the extremist Taliban militant group.
- Pakistan Army Chief in Kabul for Crucial Talks VOA 27 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan and Pakistan have pledged to jointly work for an early resumption of peace talks between Kabul and the Taliban and "sternly" deal with insurgent groups who refuse to quit violence and join the process.
- Modi Makes Surprise Visit To Pakistan RFE/RL 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has made a surprise trip to Pakistan, his first visit to India's longtime regional rival since being elected last year.
- Indian Leader Makes Surprise Visit to Pakistan - New Delhi Sputnik 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi met up withPakistan's Prime Minister Mohammad Nawaz Sharif during his surpise visit to Pakistan.
- In Impromptu Trip, Indian's Modi Visits Home of Pakistan's Sharif VOA 25 Dec 2015 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Pakistan Friday -- the first visit by an Indian leader in 12 years -- included a stop at Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's home.
- Pakistan uncovers Daesh fundraising network in Karachi Press TV 21 Dec 2015 -- Law enforcement agencies in Pakistan's southern port city of Karachi are hunting down a network of women acting as fundraisers for the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group.
- Pakistan's Waziristan Offensive Seen as Building Trust with Kabul VOA 15 Dec 2015 -- Ahead of a new round of Afghan peace talks, Pakistan is reporting progress in pacifying the Taliban strongholds that have been at the center of long-running tensions with Kabul.
- India to Raise Kashmir Dispute in Talks With Pakistan VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- A senior Indian diplomat says the Pakistan-ruled portion of the divided Kashmir region has been under "illegal occupation" of the neighboring country's army, and New Delhi will raise the issue, as it has always done, when bilateral peace talks are resu
- At Least 24 Killed In Bomb Blast At Busy Pakistani Market RFE/RL 13 Dec 2015 -- Reports say at least 24 people have been killed and more than 70 wounded by a bomb that exploded at a market in Pakistan near the Afghan border.
- 23 Killed in Pakistan Market Blast; Sunni Group Claims Attack VOA 13 Dec 2015 -- Officials in northwestern Pakistan say a bomb blast ripped through a busy clothing market Sunday, killing at least 23 people and wounding about 55 others.
- Pakistan: 3,400 Militants, Nearly 500 Soldiers Die in Counterinsurgency Operation VOA 12 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan's military said its counterinsurgency operation, Zarb-e-Azb, has killed 3,400 militants, adding that 488 soldiers were also lost in the campaign.
- Pakistan testfires long-range ballistic missile People's Daily 11 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan on Friday testfired a surface-to-surface ballistic missile, with a maximum range of 2,750 km, the military said.
- Pakistan test-fires nuclear-capable ballistic missile Press TV 11 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan has successfully test-fired a new nuclear-capable ballistic missile with a range of 2,750 kilometers (1,708 miles).
- Pakistan Tests Ballistic Missile With Nuclear Capability RFE/RL 11 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan has test-fired a surface-to-surface ballistic missile that can carry a nuclear warhead and has a range of some 2,750 kilometers.
- Afghan, Pakistani Leaders Hold Firm At Heart Of Asia Conference RFE/RL 09 Dec 2015 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif have held firm to their positions over their tense relations at a regional conference in Islamabad, while India has called for better ties between Pakistan and New Delhi.
- Pakistani Officials: Afghan Peace Talks Expected Next Week VOA 09 Dec 2015 -- Peace talks between the Afghan government and Taliban are likely to resume as early as next week, Pakistani officials said Wednesday.
- 'Afghanistan, Pakistan to end blame game' over Taliban: Kabul Press TV 09 Dec 2015 -- Afghanistan and Pakistan agree to stop accusing each other for the Taliban-led violence that has been plaguing both countries, the Afghan foreign minister says.
- Asian Countries Gather to Discuss Solutions to Afghanistan Problems VOA 08 Dec 2015 -- Representatives of Asian and other countries have gathered in Pakistan before a regional ministerial conference on Afghainistan.
- Islamabad Set to Host Regional Conference on Afghanistan VOA 07 Dec 2015 -- Pakistan is set to host a regional conference Wednesday on Afghanistan. The stated goal of countries and organizations participating in the ministerial conference of the so-called 'Heart of Asia/Istanbul Process' seek a sustained and effective political dialogue to enhance regional counterterrorism and economic cooperation in Afghanistan.
- IS Group Targets Media Outlets in Pakistan VOA 02 Dec 2015 -- Several Pakistani media outlets were attacked recently by assailants who left pamphlets on the scene containing threats from the Islamic State group.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list