Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2015 - Pakistan Special Weapons News
- US Urges Pakistan to Confront Extremist Groups VOA 31 Aug 2015 -- U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice indicated on "a number of occasions" to leaders in Islamabad during her trip to Pakistan that they can do more to confront extremist groups.
- Pakistan says Haqqani network nearly destroyed Press TV 31 Aug 2015 -- A top adviser to the Pakistani government says Pakistani troops have obliterated most of the terrorist Haqqani network in the country.
- US Wants Pakistan to Help Reduce Violence in Afghanistan VOA 30 Aug 2015 -- U.S. National Security Adviser Susan Rice told Pakistanís civil and military leadership that terrorist and militant attacks in Afghanistan have become ďa key point of regional friction.Ē
- Afghan Refugees Again On The Run - This Time From Pakistan RFE/RL 30 Aug 2015 -- Only a month ago, Naimatullah was running a school for Afghan migrants in the Pakistani town of Sialkot - a place he had called home for over two decades.
- Gunmen raid airport in Pakistan, kill one person, abduct another Press TV 30 Aug 2015 -- Pakistani officials say at least one person has been killed and another abducted when gunmen stormed a small airport in Pakistan’s southwestern province of Balochistan.
- Report: Pakistan on Pace to Become Third-Largest Nuclear Power VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan is building 20 nuclear bombs a year and could become the world's third-largest nuclear power within a decade, according to a new report.
- Pakistan Demands Afghanistan Protect Its Kabul Mission, Staff VOA 27 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan has demanded Afghanistan ensure protection of its diplomatic staff and premises in Kabul, where officials say Afghan agents are harassing the Pakistani staff, particularly those living outside of the embassy compound.
- Terrorist Designation of Abdul Aziz Haqqani US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2015
- Afghanistan, Taliban Urged to Resume Talks VOA 25 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan and U.S.-led Western backers of Afghanistan are urging Kabul officials to resume peace talks with Taliban militants.
- Russia-Pakistan Mi-35 Contract Could be Expanded Sputnik 25 Aug 2015 -- The contract on the delivery of four Russian Mi-35 helicopters to Pakistan could be expanded.
- India, Pakistan: Why NSA Talks Failed? VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan finally blinked in what some observers called an absurd game of diplomatic chicken with its rival India.
- Pakistan: Terrorist Fire From Afghanistan Kills 4 Soldiers VOA 23 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan's military said a "group of terrorists" staged a rocket attack from across the Afghan border Sunday.
- Pakistan: No High-level Talks With India VOA 22 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan called off high level talks with India Saturday night after the two sides traded barbs over the agenda.
- US: No Decision on Blocking Military Aid to Pakistan VOA 21 Aug 2015 -- The Obama administration says it has not yet made a decision to block the next military aid disbursement to Pakistan.
- Pakistan Starts Ground Offensive in Militant Stronghold VOA 20 Aug 2015 -- Pakistanís military says it has launched a long anticipated ground offensive in a remote valley near the Afghan border to flush out local and foreign militants holed up there.
- Pakistan Consults Kashmiri Separatists Before Peace Talks, Irking India RFE/RL 20 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan has invited separatists from India's disputed Kashmir region for a meeting in a move that risks further straining efforts to restart a peace dialogue between the two nuclear-armed nations.
- Pakistan army airstrikes kill 65 militants near Afghan border Press TV 17 Aug 2015 -- At least 65 militants have been killed and an ammunition dump destroyed in airstrikes in Pakistan's northwestern tribal regions near the border with Afghanistan.
- Pakistan Suicide Blast Kills 15 VOA 16 Aug 2015 -- The home minister for Pakistan's populous Punjab province, and 14 other people were killed in a suicide bombing Sunday.
- Pakistani Minister steps down after claims of ISI plot Press TV 15 Aug 2015 -- Pakistani Environment Minister Mushahid Ullah Khan has stepped down following an interview, in which he claimed former intelligence chief Zaheer-ul-Islam had connections with anti-government protests last year.
- Complex Conspiracy Theories Shadow Al-Qaida-Taliban Deal VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- It did not take long for conspiracy theories involving Pakistan to surge once word got out that al-Qaidaís leader had pledged loyalty to the Talibanís new leader.
- Pakistan Sentences 6 to Death for School Massacre VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- A closed Pakistani military court sentenced six men to death after convicting them for their involvement last year in the Taliban massacre of 134 children at an army-run school in Peshawar.
- Afghanistan, Pakistan Discuss Recent Attacks VOA 13 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan and Afghanistan held high-level meetings Thursday in an attempt to ease tensions between them following a series of terror attacks in Kabul that have killed scores of people.
- Pakistan Military Says It Foiled Independence Day Bomb Plot RFE/RL 13 Aug 2015 -- Pakistani security forces say they have foiled a plot to bomb Independence Day celebrations in Karachi after arresting a Taliban gang in the city.
- US Urges Pakistan, Afghanistan to Cooperate to Defeat Extremism VOA 11 Aug 2015 -- The United States is calling on both Afghanistan and Pakistan to work together to defeat violent extremism.
- Afghan President Demands That Pakistan Rein In Taliban RFE/RL 11 Aug 2015 -- The Afghan president has called on Pakistan to crack down on the Taliban after a wave of attacks in the capital that left dozens dead and hundreds wounded in Kabul's worst spate of violence since 2009.
- Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over ceasefire violations Press TV 11 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan has summoned a senior Indian diplomat to protest against the recent death of a woman who was allegedly killed in gunfire by Indian forces along the de facto border dividing the disputed region of Kashmir.
- Afghan President Warns Pakistan After Surge in Terrorist Attacks VOA 10 Aug 2015 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani is accusing Pakistan of fostering the recent spike in deadly insurgent attacks in Afghanistan.
- Taliban Claims Responsibility For Kabul Bombing RFE/RL 10 Aug 2015 -- A Taliban spokesman has claimed responsibility for a major explosion that struck a checkpoint outside the entrance to the Kabul airport.
- Ghani blames Islamabad for deadly Kabul attacks Press TV 10 Aug 2015 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has blamed Islamabad for the recent deadly terrorist attacks in the Afghan capital of Kabul.
- Pakistan condemns US drone strike as violating its sovereignty Press TV 07 Aug 2015 -- Pakistan has condemned the recent deadly US drone strike in North Waziristan, saying the attack disregards Islamabad's ongoing efforts to tackle militant groups in tribal areas.
- UK makes counter explosives training offer to Pakistan UK MOD 05 Aug 2015 -- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon has today offered Pakistan a new, enhanced three-year package of counter improvised explosive device (C-IED) support.
- 3 die in India-Pakistan exchange of fire in Kashmir Press TV 04 Aug 2015 -- Indian and Pakistani soldiers have once again exchanged fire along the de facto border in the disputed region of Kashmir, leaving at least two Pakistanis and an Indian villager dead.
- Pakistani forces kill five militants in northwest Press TV 03 Aug 2015 -- At least five militants have been killed during a fierce fighting with soldiers in Pakistan's troubled northwestern tribal areas near the Afghan border, security sources say.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list