Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2020 - Libya Special Weapons News
- France supports a 'pirate' in Libya: Turkey Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says France is supporting a "pirate" in Libya, a reference to Libyan rebel commander Khalifa Haftar, who has been fighting the internationally-recognized government in the North African country.
- Battle looms over Libya's strategic city of Sirte Press TV 30 Jun 2020 -- Libyan government forces are preparing to retake the strategic city of Sirte, and the rebels occupying the city are also reinforcing their ranks by deploying thousands of foreign mercenaries ahead of the battle.
- Civilians among over 100 victims of landmines in Libya's capital: UN Press TV 28 Jun 2020 -- The United Nations mission in Libya (UNSMIL) says over 100 people, including civilians, have been killed or injured due to landmine explosions in south of the capital, Tripoli.
- UN Warns of Risk to Civilians in Libya VOA 27 Jun 2020 -- The United Nations has warned of a looming risk to the lives of tens of thousands of civilians in a coastal Libyan city, calling on the United States to play a more active diplomatic role to prevent further conflict in the oil-rich country.
- Libya warns Egypt against military intervention; France backs Cairo Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- Libya's High Council of State, an advisory body to the internationally-recognized government in the country, has warned Egypt against military intervention in Libya.
- Russia says Libyan conflict has no military solution, calls for urgent truce Press TV 23 Jun 2020 -- Russia says the conflict in Libya has no military solution and an immediate ceasefire is required as foreign intervention continues to flame the fighting in the North African country.
- Lavrov Says There Is No Military Solution to Libya Conflict Sputnik 23 Jun 2020 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Tuesday that the crisis in Libya could not be solved militarily.
- France 'Won't Tolerate' Turkey's Behavior in Libya, Macron Says VOA 23 Jun 2020 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says he "won't tolerate" the role that Turkey is playing in Libya, calling it an obstacle to peace.
- Libya calls Egypt military threat 'Declaration of war' Press TV 22 Jun 2020 -- Libya's UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) has condemned Egypt's warning of military intervention in Libya, terming it a "declaration of war".
- Libyan National Army Introduces No-Fly Zone Around Sirte, LNA Spokesperson Says Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- The east-based Libyan National Army (LNA) has introduced a no-fly zone around the city of Sirte on Sunday, LNA spokesperson Maj. Gen. Ahmed Mismari said, also welcoming Cairo's announcement of being prepared to send in its forces.
- Libya's GNA Says Sisi's Offer to Train, Equip Local Tribes Amounts to Declaration of War Sputnik 21 Jun 2020 -- Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA), one of the country's two rival political administrations, released a statement on Sunday rejecting Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi's offer to provide Libyan tribes with military help and amounting it to a declaration of war.
- Egypt Warns Forces Fighting for Libya's Tripoli Government to Stay Out of Sirte VOA 20 Jun 2020 -- Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi warned Saturday that Cairo would not allow militias fighting for Libya's U.N.-recognized government in Tripoli to capture the coastal port town of Sirte or the al-Jufra airbase in central Libya.
- Turkey Seeks Diplomatic Gains After Risky Libya Military Intervention VOA 20 Jun 2020 -- Turkey is seeking to reap diplomatic rewards from its military success in Libya. Recent gains by Turkish-backed forces of the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) are enhancing Ankara's influence in Libya and with the European Union.
- Egypt warns Turkey, orders army to be ready for intervention in Libya Press TV 20 Jun 2020 -- Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi has warned of direct military intervention in Libya if Turkish-backed forces continue their advance.
- Turkey says Haftar forces must withdraw from Libya's Sirte for lasting truce Press TV 20 Jun 2020 -- Turkey says forces loyal to Libya's renegade General Khalifa Haftar need to pull out of the strategic city of Sirte for a lasting ceasefire, denouncing France for "jeopardizing" NATO's security by supporting the strongman.
- New evidence of Russian aircraft active in Libyan airspace AFRICOM 18 Jun 2020 -- Russia's introduction of manned, armed attack aircraft into Libya changes the nature of the current conflict and intensifies the potential of risk to all Libyans, especially innocent civilians.
- Ankara, Washington Agree to Join Forces in Libya, Turkish Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 18 Jun 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and US leader Donald Trump have agreed to cooperate in Libya, gripped by a nine-year civil war, the Turkish foreign minister said Thursday.
- US Military Transport Planes Run Routine Flights to Libya From Ramstein Air Base in Germany – Source Sputnik 18 Jun 2020 -- The country is currently engulfed in an ongoing civil war, with clashes mainly taking place between two major factions – the UN-approved Government of National Accord in Tripoli and the Tobruk-based Libyan National Army (LNA) of General Khalifa Haftar, supported by the Libyan House of Representatives.
- Russia Looks to Washington for Help in Libya VOA 17 Jun 2020 -- Sergey Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, said Wednesday that he would welcome any efforts by Washington to use its influence on Turkey to help fashion a truce in Libya, where Ankara and Moscow are backing opposing sides and appear to be at increasing odds.
- Turkey planning to set up 2 permanent military bases in Libya: Turkish daily Press TV 15 Jun 2020 -- Turkey is reportedly planning to set up two permanent military bases in Libya following the Tripoli government's operation to retake areas seized by rebel forces under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Turkey Says Moscow, Ankara Have 'No Significant Disagreements' on Need for Libya Ceasefire Sputnik 15 Jun 2020 -- Turkey deployed combat troops to Libya earlier this year, and has provided large amounts of military equipment to the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) for its war against General Haftar's Libyan National Army (GNA). Moscow is seeking to facilitate a political settlement to end the long-running Libyan civil war.
- Turkey, Russia Postpone Talks Focused On Libya, Syria RFE/RL 14 Jun 2020 -- Russia and Turkey have postponed high-level talks that were expected to focus on Libya and Syria, where the two countries support opposing sides in long-standing conflicts.
- UN calls for investigation of 'horrible reports' of mass graves in Libya Press TV 14 Jun 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s mission to Libya has called for an investigation of the "horrible reports" that several mass graves have been found in the North African country.
- Haftar's Army Decides to Reorganize Command Staff Sputnik 13 Jun 2020 -- The Libyan National Army led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar has decided to reorganize its command structure amid the retreat of its forces from a number of positions in the course of the confrontation with the UN-backed Government of National Accord, the Army's spokesman Major General Ahmad al-Mismari said on Saturday.
- UN chief calls for Libya mass grave investigation UN News 13 Jun 2020 -- The UN Secretary-General, António Guterres, has expressed deep shock at the discovery of mass graves in Libya over recent days, in territory that was recently in the hands of the so-called opposition Libyan National Army (LNA) led by General Khalifa Haftar.
- UN Chief: 'Deeply Shocked' by Mass Graves in Libya VOA 13 Jun 2020 -- A spokesman for U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres says the secretary is "deeply shocked by the discovery of multiple mass graves in recent days, the majority of them in Tarhouna" in Libya.
- Turkey Planning to Establish 2 Permanent Military Bases in Libya – Reports Sputnik 12 Jun 2020 -- Turkey is planning to establish two permanent military bases in Libya as part of its continued support for the UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), the Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak reported on Friday, citing military sources.
- Briefing with Assistant Secretary for Near Eastern Affairs David Schenker On the U.S.-Iraq Dialogue and Developments in Libya US Dept. of State 11 Jun 2020
- China provides anti-coronavirus medical aid to Libya Global Times 11 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy to Libya said on Wednesday that a shipment of Chinese medical aid will reach Libya in a few days to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Haftar Air Forces Strike GNA Positions in Northwestern Libya, Spokesman Says Sputnik 11 Jun 2020 -- The air forces of the Libyan National Army (LNA) launched an airstrike on troops and military supplies of the Government of National Accord (GNA) based to the south of the northwestern city of Misrata, despite a ceasefire initiative recently announced by Egypt, LNA spokesman Brig. Gen. Khaled Mahjoub has told Sputnik.
- Egypt's ceasefire proposal for Libya aims to save Haftar: Turkey Press TV 10 Jun 2020 -- Turkey has slammed Egypt's proposal for a ceasefire in Libya as not sincere, saying the initiative aims to save renegade general Khalifa Haftar, whose fighters are losing ground in the war-torn country.
- EU calls on warring sides in Libya to stop fighting, join peace efforts Press TV 10 Jun 2020 -- The European Union (EU) has called on all warring parties in Libya to instantly halt military operations there and take part in constructive peace talks.
- Erdogan, Trump agree on 'some issues' regarding Libya Press TV 09 Jun 2020 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he and US President Donald Trump have come to unspecified agreements about the conflict in Libya, where a host of countries are aiding rebels against a Turkish-backed government.
- Armed Men Capture Haftar-Controlled Oil Field in Libya's Southwest, Largest in Country Sputnik 09 Jun 2020 -- The oil field has been under the control of the Tobruk-based Libyan House of Representatives and forces of the Libyan National Army led by general Khalifa Haftar since February 2019, but restarted extraction activities only recently.
- Libya's National Oil Corporation Resumes Production at El Feel Oilfield Sputnik 08 Jun 2020 -- Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) on Monday announced that oil production has resumed at the El Feel field in the southern part of the country, one day after resuming work at the Sharara field, and said that it was lifting force majeure on exports from both oilfields.
- UAE failed expansionism in Libya, Yemen costs billions of dollars: Report Press TV 08 Jun 2020 -- A report says the United Arab Emirates' expansionist policy and its involvement in conflicts in Libya and Yemen have cost the country billions of dollars, sparking condemnation from senior officials inside the emirates, amid the failure of the Emirati-backed militants in both countries.
- UN receives 'deeply disturbing' reports of deaths, destruction in liberated Libya towns Press TV 08 Jun 2020 -- The United Nations says it has received "deeply disturbing" reports of deaths, destruction and looting from areas recently recaptured by forces of the internationally-recognized Libyan government, calling on the warring sides to respect the rule of law.
- Egypt's president offers initiative to end conflict in war-torn Libya as fighting heats up People's Daily 07 Jun 2020 -- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi announced on Saturday that Libyan Parliament Speaker Aguila Saleh and eastern-based military leader Khalifa Haftar have welcomed an initiative to end the military conflict in the neighboring war-torn Libya.
- Egypt's President Sisi proposes peace initiative for Libya amid Haftar's failed offensive for Tripoli Press TV 06 Jun 2020 -- Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, flanked by renegade Libyan General Khalifa Haftar, has announced a new peace initiative for Libya in the wake of the collapse of a long-running offensive to oust a UN-backed government in the capital Tripoli.
- Turkey, Libya to enhance cooperation in Eastern Mediterranean: Turkish president Global Times 06 Jun 2020 -- Turkey and Libya agreed to further enhance their cooperation in the Eastern Mediterranean over a deal made on maritime delimitation, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday.
- Cairo Declaration Proclaimed, including Political Initiative to End Conflict, in Libya SPA 06 Jun 2020 -- Talks between the Egyptian President Abdullfatth Al-Sissi and the Commander-in-Chief of the Libyan Armed Forces Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and the Speaker of the Libyan House of Representatives Aqilla Saleh, concluded in declaring here today, a political initiative.
- Egypt Proposes Libya Cease-fire, Calls for Withdrawal of Mercenaries VOA 06 Jun 2020 -- As forces loyal to the internationally recognized Libyan government in Tripoli gain more ground near the capital from forces under eastern military commander General Khalifa Haftar, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sissi called for a cease-fire. Sissi urged both sides to resume dialogue. Tripoli-based Prime Minister Fayez al Sarraj also met Friday with his main backer, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Libyan government forces retake Haftar's last stronghold in west Press TV 05 Jun 2020 -- Libya's government forces have regained control of the strategic town of Tarhuna in the southeast of the capital Tripoli, the last major stronghold of Libyan rebels under the command of renegade general Khalifa Haftar.
- Why Is Turkey Involved in Libyan Conflict? VOA 04 Jun 2020 -- Turkey and Libya further strengthened their bilateral ties on Thursday in a meeting between Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the Tripoli-based Prime Minister Fayez al-Sarraj.
- Libya's UN-backed government forces take over Tripoli International Airport Global Times 04 Jun 2020 -- Forces of Libya's UN-backed government on Wednesday announced taking over the former International Airport in the south of Tripoli from the rival eastern-based army, as the armed conflict between the two parties continues.
- Libya's UN-recognized govt. takes full control of Tripoli, suburbs from Haftar's forces Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Libya's UN-backed government says its forces have managed to fully regain control of the capital, Tripoli, and its suburbs, after being besieged for more than a year by forces loyal to renegade General Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's national govt. retakes Tripoli Intl. Airport from Haftar forces Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Forces loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) say they have reseized Tripoli international airport after heavy fighting with rival troops supporting strongman Khalifa Haftar.
- Libya's prime minister to meet with Turkish president in Ankara Press TV 04 Jun 2020 -- Libya's Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj is about to meet Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara, as the two allies seek to lock in recent gains against the North African country's rebel commander, Khalifa Haftar, ahead of a fresh round of peace talks on a potential truce.
- 'Haftar cannot win this war,' Turkish Foreign Minister says of Libya conflict Press TV 03 Jun 2020 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Libya's eastern-based renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar will not manage to emerge victorious out of the ongoing conflict in the country.
- Libyan govt. forces shell positions of pro-Haftar rebel forces south of Tripoli Press TV 01 Jun 2020 -- Forces of Libya's internationally-recognized government have reportedly launched artillery attacks targeting rebel forces loyal to renegade general Khalifa Haftar stationed at Tripoli airport.
- Haftar's Army Wrestles Control Over Alasaba From GNA, Spokesman Says Sputnik 01 Jun 2020 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA) led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar has regained control over the country's northwestern town of Alasaba, which has been recently seized by the Government of National Accord's (GNA) troops, LNA spokesman Maj. Gen. Ahmad al-Mismari said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list