Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2011 - Libya Special Weapons News
- Gaddafi daughter urges Libyans to revolt against new rulers RIA Novosti 30 Nov 2011 -- Aisha Gaddafi, daughter of Libya’s late leader Muammar Gaddafi, has urged Libyan people to overthrow the new government.
- LIBYA: Uncertain future for returnees in Qaddafi’s hometown IRIN 29 Nov 2011 -- Sirte, the final battleground between rebels and fighters loyal to former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, is a broken city.
- UN: Pressing task for Libya is consolidation of security UN News Centre 28 Nov 2011 -- Libya’s interim Government faces a number of challenges as it seeks to move past the recent conflict and decades of dictatorship.
- Libya: UN chief welcomes formation of new interim Government UN News Centre 23 Nov 2011 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the formation of the new interim Government in Libya and congratulated Prime Minister Abdurrahim El-Keib and members of his cabinet.
- Libya's NTC Unveils New Government VOA 22 Nov 2011 -- Libya's National Transitional Council has unveiled a new Cabinet that will govern the country until it holds its first elections since the ouster of Moammar Gadhafi.
- ICC judges will decide where Qadhafi's son will stand trial, says Prosecutor UN News Centre 22 Nov 2011 -- It will be up to the International Criminal Court (ICC) to decide where Saif al-Islam Qadhafi, son of the former Libyan leader, will stand trial to face charges for crimes against humanity, the court's Prosecutor said today as he arrived in Tripoli for talks with national authorities.
- ICC Prosecutor: Libya May Try Gadhafi's Son VOA 22 Nov 2011 -- The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor says the captured son of Moammar Gadhafi may be tried in Libya rather than in The Hague, as long as the trial meets ICC standards.
- Arrest of Qadhafi's son vital 'for the future of justice in Libya' – UN human rights chief UN News Centre 21 Nov 2011 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights today welcomed the capture of one of the sons of deposed Libyan leader Muammar al-Qadhafi as well as the regime's former chief of intelligence.
- President of ICC Statute welcomes arrest of Qadhafi's son UN News Centre 19 Nov 2011 -- The president of the Assembly of State Parties to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) today welcomed the capture of one of the sons of former Libyan leader Muammar al-Qadhafi against whom the tribunal has a warrant of arrest.
- Qaddafi Son Saif Arrested In Libya's South RFE/RL 19 Nov 2011 -- Libyan news agencies are quoting Libyan Justice Minister Mohammed al-Alagi as saying that Saif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, has been arrested in country's south.
- Saif al-Islam 'offered rebels $2 bln bribe' for his release – TV RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2011 -- The son of the late Libyan strongman Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, who was arrested on Saturday was offering a bribe of $2 billion to the rebels in exchange of his release, Az Zintan TV channel reported.
- Russia urges fair trial for captured Saif al-Islam - Russian Africa envoy RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2011 -- Russia's presidential envoy to Africa Mikhail Margelov has hailed Libyan leaders' decision to send the arrested son of Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam, to court and expressed hope he would receive a fair trial.
- Libyan Military Captures Gadhafi's Fugitive Son VOA 19 Nov 2011 -- A Libyan revolutionary militia commander from the town of Zintan announced Saturday that Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, son of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, was captured alive in southern Libya, near the border of Niger and Algeria.
- Libya reinstated as member of UN Human Rights Council UN News Centre 18 Nov 2011 -- United Nations Member States voted overwhelmingly to readmit Libya as a member of the UN Human Rights Council.
- Muslim Brotherhood Holds First Public Conference In Libya RFE/RL 18 Nov 2011 -- The Muslim Brotherhood is holding its first public conference on Libyan soil after being banned for decades.
- Gaddafi's son to remain in Niger until UN lifts travel ban RIA Novosti 16 Nov 2011 -- Saadi Gaddafi will remain in Niger until the United Nations lifts a ban on his freedom of movement.
- Obama: Libya Mission Underscores NATO's Effectiveness AFPS 04 Nov 2011 -- The Operation Unified Protector mission in Libya demonstrated that NATO remains the world's most effective alliance, President Barack Obama said today as he and French President Nicolas Sarkozy praised the men and women who carried it out.
- Monthly press briefing by NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen NATO 03 Nov 2011
- Rasmussen Cites Progress in Afghanistan, Libya AFPS 03 Nov 2011 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen emphasized today that it won’t undermine the alliance’s commitment to Afghanistan as progress there continues.
- ICC Trying to Secure Surrender of Gadhafi Son, Spy Chief VOA 03 Nov 2011 -- The chief prosecutor of the ICC says his office is collecting evidence against former Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi’s son Seif al-Islam.
- Iran ready to help Libya’s new government IRNA 03 Nov 2011 -- Islamic Republic of Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi voiced Iran's readiness for transfer of experiences to people and government of Libya.
- Press Conference by Prosecutor of International Criminal Court Concerning Libya, 2 November 2011 United Nations 02 Nov 2011
- ICC calls on countries to help prevent Qadhafi’s son escape from Libya UN News Centre 02 Nov 2011 -- The Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court called on countries today to “do all they can” to prevent Muammar al-Qadhafi’s son from leaving Libya.
- ICC Concerned Gadhafi Son May Flee Libya VOA 02 Nov 2011 -- The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says his office has been "galvanizing efforts" to bring a son of Moammar Gadhafi to justice.
- Libyans Express Hope for Modern Islamic Democracy VOA 02 Nov 2011 -- As Libya’s interim government takes form, there are concerns in the West that Libya will become a stricter Islamic society.
- UN Chief in Libya, Seeks Weapons Controls VOA 02 Nov 2011 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban has used a previously unannounced visit to Libya to urge the country's new leaders to secure weapons.
- In Tripoli, UN chief and Assembly President laud bravery UN News Centre 02 Nov 2011 -- On 23 October the NTC declared the full liberation of Libya.
- Press Conference on Problem of Disposal of Landmines in Libya, 1 November 2011 United Nations 01 Nov 2011
- Airmen help provide aeromedical evacuation Libyan freedom fighters AFNS 01 Nov 2011 -- A team of 18 Airmen is preparing to evacuate 26 seriously wounded Libyan fighters to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in Boston and four critical cases to Germany for immediate care.
- Airmen transport wounded Libyan fighters to U.S. AFNS 01 Nov 2011 -- Nearly two dozen wounded Libyan fighters were evacuated from Libya to here Oct. 29 aboard a C-17 Globemaster III.
- Libya: UN official urges quick international assistance for mine action UN News Centre 01 Nov 2011 -- The United Nations official coordinating efforts to ensure that Libya is free from the threat of landmines and other explosive remnants of war (ERW) following the recent conflict today urged the international community to quickly provide the required assistance for the work to start.
- Security Council calls on Libyan authorities to stem proliferation of arms UN News Centre 01 Nov 2011 -- The Security Council has called on interim authorities in Libya to take action to prevent the proliferation of arms, missiles and related materiel, warning of the danger they pose to the newly liberated North African country and the wider region.
- Libya to honor Russian contracts RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2011 -- The Libyan government recognizes all the business contracts signed with Russia as well as all international political agreements.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list