Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2021 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Japan Conducts Military Exercises to Prevent Chinese Invasion of Disputed Islands, Reports Say Sputnik 27 Dec 2021 -- In recent years, Tokyo voiced concern regarding Beijing's activities in the region, especially with regard to the disputed Senkaku Islands, known in China as the Diaoyudao Islands.
- Chinese defense minister urges Japan to learn from history, after Japanese forces' mock drills concerning Diaoyu Islands Global Times 27 Dec 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe told Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi on Monday that Japan should face squarely up to and learn from history, and that China will resolutely safeguard its territorial sovereignty and maritime rights in the East China Sea and the Diaoyu Islands, shortly after Japanese media reported that Japan recently conducted an exercise under the assumption that "foreign forces" occupied the Diaoyu Islands.
- Chinese defense minister holds video talks with Japanese counterpart PLA Daily 27 Dec 2021 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe held video talks with Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi on Monday.
- COVID Outlier Japan Searches for Reasons for Its Success VOA 24 Dec 2021 -- While many countries are fighting off their worst coronavirus outbreaks yet, Japan is detecting hardly any COVID-19 infections at all. Observers are trying to figure out why.
- US, Japan prepare joint military plan for 'Taiwan emergency', Kyodo says Press TV 24 Dec 2021 -- US and Japanese military forces have prepared a draft plan for a joint operation for a potential "Taiwan emergency", a Japanese news agency has reported amid rising tensions between the island territory and China.
- US & Japan Reportedly Designed New Joint Military Strategy for Potential 'Taiwan Emergency' Sputnik 24 Dec 2021 -- The United States military and Japan's Self-Defense forces have devised a joint draft operation to use Japan's Nansei Island chain in the event of an emergency involving Taiwan. The Nansei Island chain stretches from the Japanese island of Kyushu in the north to Taiwan in the south.
- UK and Japan to develop future fighter jet engine demonstrator UK MOD 22 Dec 2021 -- The UK and Japan announce plans to develop a future fighter aircraft engine demonstrator and agree to explore further combat air technologies.
- China urges Japan to respect territorial sovereignty and stop complicating maritime situations Global Times 21 Dec 2021 -- China urged Japan to respect China's territorial sovereignty, maritime rights and interests, and avoid actions that could complicate the Diaoyu Islands issue and other issues. The Chinese side made the remarks during the 13th round of high-level consultations on maritime affairs held between China and Japan via video link on Monday, which was the first of its kind after Fumio Kishida took office in October.
- Japan Seeks Additional Vaccines for COVID-19 Booster Campaign VOA 17 Dec 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said Friday his government is seeking to accelerate its COVID-19 booster shots campaign and has reached out to the head of U.S. pharmaceutical company Pfizer to secure additional vaccines.
- Integrated Deterrence: U.S. Marines, Japanese soldiers complete largest ever bilateral field exercise in Japan USMC News 17 Dec 2021 -- The U.S. Marine Corps and Japan Ground Self-Defense Force completed their largest ever bilateral field training exercise in Japan as Resolute Dragon 21 came to a close Dec. 17.
- Some on Security Council Seek Public Discussion of N. Korea Rights Abuses VOA 15 Dec 2021 -- Several U.N. Security Council members plus Japan urged their counterparts on the 15-nation council Wednesday to hold a public meeting regarding North Korea's human rights situation.
- PHIBRON 11, JMSDF Discuss Future Integration in Kure, Sasebo Bilateral Talks US Navy 13 Dec 2021 -- Amphibious Squadron (PHIBRON) 11 leadership and staff conducted bilateral talks with Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) counterparts from Kure Naval Base, Dec. 8-9 at U.S. Fleet Activities Sasebo.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Russia and Ukraine US Dept. of State 12 Dec 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- G-7 Warns Russia on Military Buildup Along Ukraine Border VOA 12 Dec 2021 -- The Group of Seven democratic economic powers on Sunday warned Russia to de-escalate its large-scale military buildup along the Ukrainian border or face what it characterized as "massive" economic consequences.
- G7 Warns Russia Of 'Massive Consequences' If It Attacks Ukraine RFE/RL 12 Dec 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) have warned Russia that it faces "massive consequences" and "severe" costs if it launches a military attack on Ukraine.
- G7 Leaders Pledge 'Severe Cost' in Event of Russian 'Military Aggression' in Ukraine Sputnik 12 Dec 2021 -- Concerns about Russia's "military build-up" in the vicinity of the Ukrainian border continue to arise, with Moscow repeatedly underscoring that it has no plans to attack anyone. Russian President Vladimir Putin told his US counterpart Joe Biden that Russian troops are located within the country's territory and pose no threat.
- US, Japan Agree to Bolster Security Alliance on Sidelines of G-7 VOA 11 Dec 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken agreed Saturday to bolster ties with Japan amid a changing security landscape in the Indo-Pacific region while meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi on the sidelines of the G-7 ministerial in Liverpool.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Hayashi US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken And Japanese Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi Before Their Meeting US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2021
- Japan Reports 3rd Case of Omicron Variant in Traveller who Had Been in Italy SPA 06 Dec 2021 -- A man in his 30s who had been in Italy has tested positive for the Omicron COVID-19 variant in the third case to be found in Japan, the top government spokesman said on Monday according to Reuters.
- Japan PM Kishida vows to "prepare for worst" for Omicron variant in policy speech People's Daily 06 Dec 2021 -- Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida on Monday vowed to "prepare for the worst" in dealing with the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 while still promoting the economic recovery of the country.
- Age-Old Feud Between Allies Poses Challenge to Biden's Asia Policy VOA 05 Dec 2021 -- In its attempts to revitalize trilateral cooperation with Japan and South Korea, the Biden administration is facing a decadeslong dispute between the allies that is jeopardizing Washington's goals of curbing Beijing's growing aggression and Pyongyang's threats, according to experts.
- Joint Statement on Reports of Summary Killings and Enforced Disappearances in Afghanistan US Dept. of State 04 Dec 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released initially by the Governments of the United States of America, Australia, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Denmark, the European Union, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and Ukraine.
- US Defense Secretary Talks Regional Stability with Japanese Counterpart VOA 04 Dec 2021 -- The United States is reaching out to more allies in the Indo-Pacific, hoping to keep tensions in the region from boiling over amid growing concerns about China and North Korea.
- Russia deploys combat-alert missile systems near Kuril islands claimed by Japan Press TV 03 Dec 2021 -- The Russian military has for the first time deployed coastal missile defense systems near its eastern territory of Kuril Islands, which is also claimed by Japan, a move that is intended to underline Moscowâ€™s assertive stance in the decades-long dispute.
- U.S. Marines, Japan Ground Self-Defense Force set to begin Exercise Resolute Dragon USMC News 03 Dec 2021 -- U.S. Marines and members of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force, alongside elements from the U.S. Navy and U.S. Army, are set to kick off their largest bilateral training exercise of the year with Resolute Dragon 2021 taking place at multiple training locations across Japan from Dec. 4-17.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi DoD 03 Dec 2021
- Chinese Foreign Ministry summons Japanese ambassador over wrong remarks of former PM Abe on Taiwan question Global Times 02 Dec 2021 -- Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs Hua Chunying called an emergency meeting with Japanese Ambassador to China Tarumi Hideo on Wednesday night, lodging solemn representations regarding the wrong remarks made by former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe concerning China.
- China firmly opposes Abe's remarks on Taiwan People's Daily 02 Dec 2021 -- China on Wednesday expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's recent remarks on Taiwan.
- Commander, Task Force 70 Conducts Flag Talks with Japan Maritime Self Defense Force US Navy 02 Dec 2021 -- Commander, Task Force (CTF) 70 staff conducted discussions with leadership from the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) at the Funakoshi Fleet headquarters Nov. 30.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry lodges solemn representations on former Japanese leader's wrong claims on Taiwan Global Times 02 Dec 2021 -- Assistant Foreign Minister Hua Chunying called an emergency meeting with Japanese Ambassador to China Hideo Tarumi and lodged solemn representations on the remarks made by former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe on the Taiwan question.
- China should think twice about Taiwan invasion: Abe CNA 01 Dec 2021 -- A Chinese invasion of Taiwan would pose a serious threat to the security of Japan and the Japan-United States alliance, former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe warned Wednesday and urged China to think twice before taking military action.
- Whoever dares return to militarism will have his head bloodied: Chinese FM on Abe's Taiwan remarks Global Times 01 Dec 2021 -- China is strongly dissatisfied with and firmly opposes former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe's remarks concerning Taiwan island, and China has lodged solemn representations through diplomatic channels, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Maritime Forces from Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan and the U.S. Conclude ANNUALEX 2021 US Navy 01 Dec 2021 -- Naval forces from Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan and the U.S. concluded a nine-day multilateral, multinational annual exercise in the Philippine Sea, Nov. 30, 2021.
- Australian Navy completes exercise with Canada, Germany, Japan and US Australia DOD 01 Dec 2021 -- Two Royal Australian Navy (RAN) vessels have finished nine days of maritime warfare training with four nations during ANNUALEX 2021.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list