Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Japan Special Weapons News
- Taiwan investigating collision in disputed waters: Premier Su CNA 29 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan's government is currently investigating an incident two days ago in which a Taiwanese fishing vessel was allegedly rammed by a Japanese coastguard ship in contested waters, Premier Su Tseng-chang (è˜‡è²žæ˜Œ) said Tuesday.
- Japan - RAM Block 2 Tactical Missiles DSCA 28 Sep 2020 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Japan of RAM Block 2 Tactical Missiles and related equipment for an estimated cost of $55.311 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Indian, Japanese Naval Ships Conduct Maritime Drills in Arabian Sea, Close to Pakistan - Photos Sputnik 28 Sep 2020 -- India put its Navy on operational alert in the oceans around the country following the border row with China in the Ladakh sector. New Delhi has since deployed its warships along critical sea lanes of communication and other key points.
- Taiwan fishing boat collides with Japanese ship near Diaoyutais CNA 27 Sep 2020 -- A Taiwanese fishing boat collided with a Japanese government vessel in waters 12 nautical miles west of the disputed Diaoyutai Islands, with no reports of injuries, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said in a statement.
- Japan to 'proactively lead' on COVID-19 response efforts UN News 25 Sep 2020 -- Japan has signaled its intention to take a leading role in global response to the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftershocks, with new Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga highlighting the links between recovery, health and economic development.
- Japan May See Resurgence of Coronavirus Cases, Experts Warn SPA 24 Sep 2020 -- Japan could face a resurgence of coronavirus infections, although the number of cases has been on a downward trend since late July, Kyodo cited a group of experts on virus prevention as saying today, on Thursday.
- Japan Self-Defense Forces, U.S. military to begin exercise Keen Sword, Oct. 26 US Navy 24 Sep 2020 -- Units from the Japan Self-Defense Forces (JSDF) and U.S. military will conduct exercise Keen Sword beginning Oct. 26, 2020.
- Coast Guard Cutter Arrives in Japan Following an Onboard Fire US Navy 23 Sep 2020 -- The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Waesche (WMSL 751) arrived at Yokosuka, Japan today after combatting a shipboard engineering fire on Sept. 20, during a scheduled deployment to the U.S. 7th Fleet's area of operations.
- Tokyo Reports 59 New Virus Cases, Lowest in Almost 3 Months SPA 23 Sep 2020 -- Tokyo confirmed Wednesday an additional 59 coronavirus infections, marking the lowest daily figure in nearly three months, as the government has in recent days eased restrictions on social and business activities, Kyodo News reported.
- Suga set to take office as Japan's next prime minister People's Daily 16 Sep 2020 -- The cabinet of Japan's outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday resigned en masse, ahead of the parliament formally appointing Suga, the newly elected ruling Liberal Democratic Party leader, as the new prime minister.
- Japanese PM Abe, cabinet resign ahead of Suga's inauguration People's Daily 16 Sep 2020 -- The outgoing Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's cabinet resigned en masse Wednesday morning, marking an end to Abe's record-long tenure of nearly eight years.
- Japan's lower house of parliament elects Yoshihide Suga as prime minister Press TV 16 Sep 2020 -- The lower house of Japan's parliament has elected Yoshihide Suga as prime minister, following the resignation of former PM Shinzo Abe over health issues.
- Yoshihide Suga To Become Japan's Next Prime Minister VOA 16 Sep 2020 -- Yoshihide Suga will officially become Japan's next prime minister Wednesday.
- Yoshihide Suga wins LDP leadership election to succeed Abe Global Times 14 Sep 2020 -- Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga won the election on Monday afternoon to become the new president of Japan's Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), with Suga set to become the East Asian country's next prime minister. Chinese experts said Japan's relations with China would remain in steady hands as Suga will mostly retain Shinzo Abe's foreign policies.
- Suga elected president of Japan's ruling LDP to succeed Abe People's Daily 14 Sep 2020 -- Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga was elected as the new president of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) on Monday at a joint plenary meeting of party members from both houses of the Diet and delegates from local chapters.
- Suga wins Japan ruling party leadership vote, to replace PM Abe Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Japan's ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) has elected Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga as its new leader , setting the stage for him to become the Asian powerhouse's next prime minister.
- Japan's Suga Wins Ruling Party Leadership Race, Paving Way for Him to Become Next Prime Minister Sputnik 14 Sep 2020 -- In late August, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told the country's ruling coalition that he was set to resign, amid speculation about his health issues.
- Japan's Next PM: The Self-Made Son of a Farmer VOA 14 Sep 2020 -- The man who will become Japan's next prime minister is the son of strawberry farmers, with an unpretentious personality and a penchant for exceeding others' expectations of him.
- Japan to Come Up with Missile Defense Plan by year-end: PM Abe SPA 13 Sep 2020 -- Japan's outgoing Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said yesterday, Friday the government, under his successor, will come up with a new plan for dealing with missile threats by the end of the year, Kyodo reported.
- Japan, Singapore to Resume Short-Term Business Travel from Sept. 18 SPA 12 Sep 2020 -- Japan will resume short-term business travel with Singapore from Sept. 18, marking the first time that Tokyo has decided to allow the entry of businesspeople without requiring a 14-day self-isolation period amid the coronavirus pandemic, Kyodo quoted Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi as saying today, on Friday.
- Japan to Develop New Missile Defence Plan After Abandoning Aegis Ashore Systems, Abe Says Sputnik 11 Sep 2020 -- The Japanese government will develop a new plan for its missile defence systems by the end of the current year, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Friday, in the wake of Tokyo's decision in June to abandon the deployment of two US-made Aegis Ashore systems.
- Tokyo Lowers COVID-19 Alert Level as Infections Drop VOA 10 Sep 2020 -- Tokyo lowered its COVID-19 alert status to the second highest level Thursday, as the number of new cases continues to drop.
- India and Japan sign agreement on Reciprocal Provision of Supplies and Services between Forces of both countries India PIB 10 Sep 2020 -- India and Japan signed an Agreement between the two countries concerning Reciprocal Provision of Supplies and Services between the Armed Forces of India and The Self-Defense Forces of Japan. The agreement was signed here yesterday by Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar and Ambassador of Japan Mr Suzuki Satoshi.
- India, Japan Agree on Reciprocal Provision of Military Supplies, Services Sputnik 10 Sep 2020 -- India and Japan have signed an agreement on reciprocal provision of supplies and services between their armed forces during their involvement in drills, UN peacekeeping operations and humanitarian activities, the Indian Defen?e Ministry said on Thursday.
- U.S. Navy joins Australia, Japan, Republic of Korea for Multinational Group Sail US Navy 09 Sep 2020 -- Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Barry (DDG 52) is scheduled to join the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and Republic of Korea Navy (ROKN) during a multinational group sail from waters near Hawaii to Guam beginning Sept. 9, to conduct integrated, multi-domain operations.
- Tokyo Reports 141 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 02 Sep 2020 -- Tokyo confirmed 141 new coronavirus infections today, on Wednesday, bringing the cumulative total in the capital to 21,128, the highest of Japan's 47 prefectures, Kyodo reported.
- Japanese gov't may offer free COVID-19 vaccines to all residents People's Daily 02 Sep 2020 -- The Japanese government may offer COVID-19 vaccinations for free to all residents so that the number of future fatalities and those developing severe symptoms and needing hospitalization can be mitigated, sources with knowledge of the matter said Wednesday.
- Two test positive for COVID-19 in Vietnam, Japan after leaving Taiwan CNA 02 Sep 2020 -- A Vietnamese migrant worker and a Taiwanese national who recently left Taiwan for Vietnam and Japan, respectively, have tested positive for COVID-19, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Wednesday.
- Japan to reopen borders to Taiwanese business travelers next week CNA 01 Sep 2020 -- Japan will soon reopen its borders to Taiwanese business travelers, provided that a set of coronavirus prevention measures are followed, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list