Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2022 - Israel Special Weapons News
- Welcoming Israel's Prime Minister Yair Lapid US Dept. of State 30 Jun 2022 -- On behalf of the Government of the United States of America, I offer our warmest congratulations to Yair Lapid on assuming the role of Prime Minister of Israel.
- Outgoing PM Bennett and Incoming PM Lapid hold Handover Ceremony Israel - Prime Minister 30 Jun 2022 -- Outgoing Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and incoming Prime Minister Yair Lapid held a modest handover ceremony at the Prime Minister's Office in Jerusalem, today. Senior officials from their bureaus and members of the Bennett and Lapid families also attended the ceremony.
- Jordanian FM denies 'Arab-Israeli NATO,' says Arab countries seek close ties with Iran Press TV 29 Jun 2022 -- Jordanian Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Ayman Safadi says Arab countries look for promotion of diplomatic relations with Iran, roundly dismissing the existence of any talks on the formation of an anti-Iran Middle Eastern military alliance similar to NATO, which would include Israel.
- CENTCOM leaders visit Tel Aviv, focus on regional partnerships CENTCOM 29 Jun 2022 -- Senior U.S. Central Command leaders and staff visited their Israel Defense Forces counterparts in Tel Aviv last week to reflect on their decades-long partnership and explore ways to deepen security relationships across the Middle East.
- IDF's Secret Cyber Unit Claims It Helped Thwart Attack on US Power Plants Sputnik 29 Jun 2022 -- Israel and regional adversary Iran have engaged in a years-long cyberwarfare campaign, targeting both physical and virtual infrastructure. Last year, the Israel Defense Force Joint Cyber Defense Division and the Pentagon's Cyber Command held joint drills involving training "for a variety of cyber defense challenges in the US."
- Bennett Says He Will Not Participate in Next Israeli Elections Sputnik 29 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett told members of his Yamina party that he has no plans to participate in the next parliamentary elections, his press office said on Wednesday.
- PM Bennett Holds Security Assessments with the Mossad and the ISA Israel - Prime Minister 28 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Naftali Bennett held detailed security assessments with the Mossad and the Israeli Security Agency (ISA), today , which included reviews of operations in the past year. The Prime Minister also summarized the foundations for the continuation of vital activity by the security services in the foreseeable future on all fronts.
- Negev Forum Steering Committee Joint Statement US Dept. of State 27 Jun 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, Bahrain, Egypt, Israel, Morocco, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Israel okays housing grants for former South Lebanon Army militiamen Press TV 27 Jun 2022 -- The Israeli cabinet has approved a proposal to provide housing allowances to hundreds of former members of the Lebanese Christian-dominated militia South Lebanon Army (SLA), who fought alongside the Tel Aviv regime against resistance groups during the Lebanese civil war.
- US Urges Israelis, Palestinians to Calm Tensions Ahead of Biden Visit VOA 27 Jun 2022 -- The United States expressed concern Monday about "palpable and dangerous" tensions between Israelis and Palestinians, ahead of a visit next month by President Joe Biden to the region.
- Middle East: Mounting violence leaving 'scores of Palestinian and Israeli casualties' UN News 27 Jun 2022 -- "High level" violence has resulted in "scores of Palestinian and Israeli casualties", the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process told the Security Council on Monday.
- A lasting resolution that delivers peace for Israelis and Palestinians is long overdue UK FCDO 27 Jun 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador James Kariuki at the UN Security Council briefing on the situation in the Middle East
- PM Naftali Bennett's remarks at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting Israel - Prime Minister 26 Jun 2022
- US Organized Secret Talks Between Israel, Saudis on Anti-Iranian Air Defense Coordination: Report Sputnik 26 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz announced last week that Tel Aviv had been working on a US-backed "Middle East Air Defense Alliance" with Arab governments, with the program said to be at an advanced stage and to have "already enabled the successful interception of Iranian attempts to attack Israel and other countries."
- Israel to demand US funding of its laser weapons during Biden's visit Press TV 26 Jun 2022 -- The Israeli regime will demand a special budget for its development of new laser weapons and raise concerns about Saudi Arabia's nuclear ambitions when US President Joe Biden visits occupied Palestine next month, a report unveils.
- Abu Akleh shooting: fatal shot came from Israeli forces, says OHCHR UN News 24 Jun 2022 -- Israeli forces were behind the fatal shooting of Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh in the West Bank - not indiscriminate Palestinian firing - the UN human rights office, OHCHR, alleged on Friday.
- Statement by FM Lapid alongside the Foreign Minister of TÃ¼rkiye, MevlÃ¼t Ã‡avuÅŸoÄŸlu Israel MFA 23 Jun 2022 -- FM Lapid: Iran is behind these attempted terrorist attacks We're not only talking about the murder of innocent Israeli tourists, but also a clear violation of Turkish sovereignty by Iranian terror. We are confident that TÃ¼rkiye knows how to respond to the Iranians on this matter.
- Turkish FM Announces Process to Normalize Diplomatic Ties With Israel Sputnik 23 Jun 2022 -- Turkey originally established ties with Israel in 1949, becoming one of the first Muslim countries to recognize the Jewish State. However, bilateral relations deteriorated amid Ankara's criticism of Israel's policies towards Palestinians.
- Israel begins building wall in northern West Bank People's Daily 22 Jun 2022 -- Israel has begun building a 9-meter-tall wall to replace the old fence barrier in the northern occupied West Bank, said Israeli Defense Ministry on Wednesday, citing security reasons.
- Israel records sharp increase in suicide cases among military forces: Report Press TV 22 Jun 2022 -- Israel has recorded a sharp increase in suicide cases among its military personnel, raising serious concerns in the occupying regime's military and intelligence apparatus.
- PM Bennett speaks with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken Israel - Prime Minister 22 Jun 2022
- PM Bennett Holds Security Assessment at IDF Gaza Division HQ Israel - Prime Minister 22 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Naftali Bennett visited IDF Gaza Division headquarters, this morning, and held a security assessment with the commander of IDF Southern Command, Maj.-Gen. Eliezer Toledano, and Gaza Division commander Brig.-Gen. Nimrod Aloni. They discussed the main points of the strategic concept vis-Ã -vis the Palestinians, especially in Gaza; a survey of the operational situation was presented.
- Israeli parliament moves forward bill to dissolve People's Daily 22 Jun 2022 -- Israeli lawmakers voted in favor of a bill to dissolve parliament in a preliminary vote on Wednesday, taking the first step in sending the country for its fifth elections in three years.
- Israeli parliament votes to dissolve in step towards fifth election in three years Press TV 22 Jun 2022 -- Israeli lawmakers on Wednesday voted to dissolve the parliament, also known as Knesset, setting the stage for Likud Party leader Benjamin Netanyahu's possible comeback and the unceremonious exit of sitting premier Naftali Bennett.
- PM Bennett and Public Security Minister Omer Barlev Announce the Launch of "the Israel National Guard" as Part of the Border Police Israel - Prime Minister 21 Jun 2022 -- Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Public Security Minister Omer Barlev, together with Israel Police Inspector General Commissioner Koby Shabtai and Border Police Commander Deputy Commissioner Amir Cohen, today, announced the launch of 'the Israel National Guard' as part of the Border Police.
- Israel Establishes National Guard to Boost Domestic Security Sputnik 21 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Public Security Minister Omer Bar-Lev announced on Tuesday the creation of a so-called "National Guard" force, designed to boost domestic security.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Israeli Prime Minister Bennett US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Israeli Foreign Minister and Alternate Prime Minister Lapid US Dept. of State 21 Jun 2022
- FM Lapid speaks with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken Israel MFA 21 Jun 2022 -- President Biden's upcoming visit to Israel will have significant implications for the region and the fight against Iran, as well as immense potential to significantly improve regional stability and security.
- Detained Mossad agents planned to kill Iran's nuclear scientists: Judiciary official Press TV 21 Jun 2022 -- An Iranian judiciary official says the three agents working for the Israeli Mossad spy agency, who were arrested in April, were planning to assassinate Iranian nuclear scientists.
- Israel says builds U.S.-sponsored Mideast air defense alliance People's Daily 21 Jun 2022 -- Israel is building a U.S.-sponsored air defense alliance in the Middle East which has already thwarted attempted Iranian attacks, Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz said Monday.
- Cyberattack causes missile attack sirens to sound in Israel Press TV 21 Jun 2022 -- A suspected cyberattack has caused missile attack sirens to sound in two cities in Israel, the regime's media reports say.
- Israel's Prime Minister Says He is Dissolving the Government VOA 20 Jun 2022 -- Israel is headed for its fifth election in three years after Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said he had agreed to dissolve his fractious coalition.
- Israeli PM to dissolve Knesset after coalition collapses, paving way for fifth election in last five years Press TV 20 Jun 2022 -- Israeli prime minister Naftali Bennett has submitted a bill to dissolve parliament as his fragile coalition cabinet collapses, triggering the path for a fifth round of elections in three years.
- Israeli Prime Minister, Foreign Minister to Support Bill to Dissolve Parliament Sputnik 20 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett and Foreign Minister Yair Lapid will support a bill to dissolve the Knesset, a government spokesman said in a statement.
- Israel Creating 'Middle East Air Defense Alliance' Under US' Wing, Defense Minister Says Sputnik 20 Jun 2022 -- The news comes ahead of President Joe Biden's planned visit to Israel in July as part of a tour of the Middle East which will also take him to Saudi Arabia for a regional summit of Arab nations.
- Israel's Government to Dissolve, Hold New Elections VOA 20 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's office announced the country's coalition government would be disbanded, triggering a new election.
- PM Bennett's Remarks at the Start of the Weekly Cabinet Meeting Israel - Prime Minister's Office 19 Jun 2022 -- Following are Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's remarks at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting, today:
- Israeli regime secretly coordinates Syria airstrikes with US: Report Press TV 19 Jun 2022 -- The Israeli regime's air strikes against targets in Syria have been conducted with the secret approval of the American military, a US-based daily has reported citing current and former officials.
- US military group in talks to purchase Israel's blacklisted Pegasus spyware Press TV 19 Jun 2022 -- The US military contractor L3Harris Technologies has entered talks with the Israeli regime's notorious NSO Group surveillance technology to buy its spyware tools despite it being blacklisted by Washington.
- Israeli warplanes, drones strike various sites across Gaza Strip in fresh act of aggression Press TV 18 Jun 2022 -- Israeli military aircraft have carried out a series of airstrikes against targets in the central and northern parts of the Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime continues with its acts of aggression against the besieged Palestinian coastal sliver.
- Israeli Army Says It Carried Out Strikes on Gaza Strip in Response to Rocket Fire Sputnik 18 Jun 2022 -- Earlier, air raid sirens sounded in southern Israel, including the city of Ashkelon. Later, the IDF said it had intercepted a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip.
- Israel Coordinated Some Syria Strikes With Pentagon Sputnik 17 Jun 2022 -- Tel Aviv has publically admitted only a fraction of the strikes that Damascus accuses it of conducting on Syrian soil. Both Syria and its ally Iran condemned these strikes as violations of international law.
- Astana talks: Parties reaffirm commitment to Syria's sovereignty, condemn Israel's aggression Press TV 16 Jun 2022 -- Participants at the 18th international summit on Syria in the Astana format have reaffirmed their strong commitment to Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and announced their firm opposition to Israeli's aggression and atrocities in the war-torn country, Syrian state news agency Sana reported Thursday.
- Report: 'Perpetual Occupation' of Palestinian Territory Root Cause of Violence VOA 15 Jun 2022 -- A U.N. fact-finding mission blames what it calls the "perpetual occupation" of Palestinian areas by Israel as the root cause of ongoing violence in this volatile region. The Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and in Israel has submitted its first report to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- EU, Egypt, Israel Agree to Export Israeli Liquified Natural Gas to Europe VOA 15 Jun 2022 -- Egypt, Israel and the European Union signed a gas deal Wednesday in which Egypt will export Israeli liquified natural gas to Europe via two Egyptian LNG plants.
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on the President's Trip to The Middle East The White House 14 Jun 2022
- Statement by Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on President Biden's Travel to Israel, the West Bank, and Saudi Arabia The White House 14 Jun 2022
- FM Lapid on Iranian terror attempts against Israelis abroad Israel MFA 13 Jun 2022 -- FM Lapid: I want to thank the Government of Turkey for the effort they're putting into protecting the lives of Israeli citizens. Tourism to Turkey is important to both our countries, but they also understand there are risks that should not be taken.
- Israel's Prime Minister Claims Iran 'Dangerously Close' to Obtaining Nuclear Weapons Sputnik 12 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett says that Iran is allegedly enriching uranium at a very past pace and is close to producing nuclear weapons.
- Israel deploys air missile systems in Tel Aviv, Haifa after Hezbollah leader's warning: Report Press TV 11 Jun 2022 -- The Israeli army has reportedly deployed air missile systems in Tel Aviv and Haifa following a warning by Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, the secretary general of Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement, that the resistance is "not afraid of war."
- Iran denounces Israeli strike on Damascus airport, reaffirms support for Syria Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- Iran has strongly condemned the Israeli regime's renewed aggression against Syria after Friday's attack targeting the Damascus airport, reaffirming its unflinching support for the Arab country.
- Syrian air defenses repel Israeli attack on Damascus for second time this week Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- For the second time this week, Syrian air defenses early on Friday intercepted the missiles launched by the Israeli military at targets south of the capital Damascus, bringing down most of them.
- Damascus Airport Runways Out of Service After Israeli Strikes, Syrian Transport Ministry Says Sputnik 10 Jun 2022 -- The runways at Damascus airport are out of service as a result of airstrikes conducted by the Israeli air force, the Syrian Ministry of Transport said.
- Report: Israel pushing Biden to remove Pegasus spyware from US blacklist Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- Israeli regime officials are pushing the US government to remove the controversial spyware company NSO Group from the Department of Commerce blacklist, according to reports.
- Report: Israel deploys radar systems in UAE, Bahrain to counter 'threats' from Iran Press TV 10 Jun 2022 -- Tel Aviv regime has deployed radar systems in some West Asian countries as part of joint cooperation with the region's Arab states to counter what the Israeli media claims to be "missile threats" from Iran.
- Joint statement by FM Lapid, MOD Gantz, and Minister of Energy Elharar regarding the "Karish" rig Israel MFA 08 Jun 2022 -- Minister of Foreign Affairs Yair Lapid, Minister of Defense Benny Gantz, and Minister of Energy Karin Elharar today (Wednesday, June 8, 2022) issued a joint statement regarding the "Karish" rig:
- Syrian, Russian fighter jets stage joint air patrol over occupied Golan Heights Press TV 08 Jun 2022 -- Russian and Syrian fighter jets have conducted a joint aerial patrol over the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, and participated in real combat conditions against mock enemy warplanes and unmanned military aircraft.
- Israel's May Strike on Damascus Airport Was Reportedly Intended to Prevent Arms Deliveries From Iran Sputnik 08 Jun 2022 -- Tel Aviv has claimed responsibility for only some of the air strikes against Syria which Damascus claims were launched by the IDF. Israel justifies these strikes on its neighbour, which violate international laws, by claiming they were a "defence" against planned Iranian weapons shipments to the Lebanon-based group Hezbollah.
- Statement on the Human Rights Council Commission of Inquiry on Gaza Report: 8 June 2022 UK FCDO 08 Jun 2022 -- The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office issued a statement on the Human Rights Council Commission of Inquiry on the situation in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza.
- Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and Israel, issues first report OHCHR 07 Jun 2022 -- The continued occupation by Israel of Palestinian territory and discrimination against Palestinians are the key root causes of the recurrent tensions, instability and protraction of conflict in the region, according to the first report by the new United Nations Independent International Commission of Inquiry on the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and Israel, issued today.
- The UN Human Rights Council's Commission of Inquiry on the Situation in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2022 -- The United States is committed to advancing human rights in Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza. Israelis and Palestinians deserve equal measures of freedom, security, prosperity, and, importantly, dignity. Promoting human rights and fundamental freedoms is important in its own right and as a means of preserving and advancing the prospects of a negotiated two-state solution.
- Occupation, discrimination driving Israel-Palestine conflict, recurring violence UN News 07 Jun 2022 -- Ending the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory, and discrimination against Palestinians, is essential to stopping the decades-long conflict between the two sides, a new UN independent human rights body said on Tuesday.
- MFA response to the report of the Human Rights Council's Commission of Inquiry published today Israel MFA 07 Jun 2022 -- The Commission of Inquiry and the biased report it published are the result of the HRC's extreme anti-Israel bias. The Commission members, who claim to be objective, were only appointed to their roles because of their public and well-known anti-Israel stances, in direct opposition to the rules set out by the United Nations.
- PM Bennett's Remarks to the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee Israel - Prime Minister 07 Jun 2022 -- Following are Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's remarks to the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee today:
- Hezbollah says 'ready' to take action if Lebanon govt. confirms Israel violating country's maritime rights Press TV 06 Jun 2022 -- A senior official of Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement says the movement is "ready" to take action if the government confirms that Israel is violating the maritime rights of the country, after a gas drilling ship arrived in disputed Mediterranean waters to conduct hydrocarbon exploration for Israel.
- Lebanese defense chief demands intl. action against Israeli aggression in disputed waters Press TV 06 Jun 2022 -- Lebanese caretaker Defense Minister Brigadier General Maurice Sleem has called upon the international community and the United Nations to "move quickly and put an end to the renewed Israeli provocations," after a gas drilling ship arrived in disputed waters in the Mediterranean Sea to conduct hydrocarbon exploration for Israel.
- Iraqi Kurdistan rejects federal ruling over oil delivery to Baghdad amid dealings with Israel Press TV 05 Jun 2022 -- The judicial council of Iraq's Kurdistan has vehemently opposed a ruling from the Iraqi federal court to hand over the region's crude supplies to the central government in Baghdad amid secret dealings with Israel.
- Iran warns against 'further erosion' of IAEA credibility after Grossi's Israel visit Press TV 04 Jun 2022 -- Taking strong exception to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief's visit to Israel ahead of a key board meeting, Iran on Friday warned against "further erosion" of the UN agency's credibility.
- PM Bennett meets with IAEA Director General Dr. Rafael Grossi Israel MFA 03 Jun 2022 -- PM Bennett expressed Israel's deep concern regarding Iran's continued progress toward achieving nuclear weapons while deceiving the international community by using false information and lies.
- Grossi's visit to Israel out of phase with IAEA impartiality, professionalism: Iran FM Press TV 03 Jun 2022 -- Iran says the visit by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)'s chief Rafael Grossi to Israel ahead of the Monday meeting of the Board of Governors is in contradiction with the agency's principles of observing impartiality and maintaining its technical and professional status.
- Israel-IAEA collusion: Grossi lands in Tel Aviv ahead of UN nuclear agency meet Press TV 03 Jun 2022 -- The chief of the UN nuclear agency has traveled to Israel and met the regime's extremist premier Naftali Bennett, ahead of the body's Board of Governors meeting on Monday.
- In Meeting With UN Envoy, Israel Voices Concern Over Iran Nuclear Program RFE/RL 03 Jun 2022 -- Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett has told the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog that the Jewish state is ready to use its "right to self-defense" to prevent Iran from achieving nuclear weapons.
- Iranian Media Accuse IAEA of 'Colluding' With Tel Aviv as Grossi Visits Israel Ahead of Iran Meeting Sputnik 03 Jun 2022 -- Israel joined the International Atomic Energy Agency in 1957, but did not sign the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) of 1968 and has not accepted agency safeguards on its nuclear activities. Iran, which is a member of the NPT and faces regular IAEA inspections and sanctions over its nuclear programme, has questioned this state of affairs.
- Israel approves plan to build 820 new settler units in occupied al-Quds Press TV 03 Jun 2022 -- The Israeli regime has approved a project to build 820 new settler units in occupied al-Quds, pressing ahead with its illegal settlement expansion in total disregard for the Palestinian people's rights and a cascade of global condemnations.
- Rights experts urge Israel to cease eviction and demolition of Bedouin village UN News 03 Jun 2022 -- Israel must halt plans to demolish a Bedouin village in the Naqab desert that will forcibly displace hundreds of residents in a bid to expand Jewish-only settlements, two experts appointed by the UN Human Rights Council said on Friday.
- PRC Reportedly Threatens to Downgrade Israel Ties Over Paper's Interview With Taiwan's Top Diplomat Sputnik 02 Jun 2022 -- The spat began Monday following The Jerusalem Post's publication of an invective-filled interview with Taiwanese Foreign Minister Joseph Wu, in which the diplomat warned Tel Aviv that it couldn't "trust" Beijing, and claimed that the People's Republic was preparing to invade Taiwan.
- Israel's Lapid Says Revived Iran Nuclear Deal Wouldn't 'Apply to Us in Any Way' Sputnik 02 Jun 2022 -- Despite nearly all aspects of reviving the nuclear deal having been agreed upon, both the United States and Iran continue to say that such an agreement is "tenuous" at best.
- India, Israel Agree to Co-Develop Military UAVs, Missiles as Next Stage of Defence Cooperation Sputnik 02 Jun 2022 -- India has been one of Israel's prime buyers of military hardware for years. The two countries have collaborated on various joint-development projects, including missiles.
- Israel Simulates Strikes Against Iran in Largest Drills in Its History Sputnik 01 Jun 2022 -- Earlier, the Israeli prime minister declared in his address to Knesset that Iran's "immunity", which it allegedly enjoyed, was "over". He further promised that those, who send "terrorists" to hit Israel would "pay the full price".
- Joint Statement on the Meeting of the U.S.-Israel Strategic Consultative Group The White House 01 Jun 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list