Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2020 - Israel Special Weapons News
- UN Middle East envoy urges sides to engage 'before it is too late' UN News 29 Sep 2020 -- Israeli and Palestinian leaders, and their international partners, must urgently resume peace efforts "before it is too late", UN Middle East envoy Nikolay Mladenov told the Security Council on Tuesday, echoing the Secretary-General.
- To UN, Israeli Prime Minister says 'no doubt' more Arab countries will soon join 'circle of peace' UN News 29 Sep 2020 -- While telling the UN General Assembly on Tuesday there was "good news" to report about the "expanding circle of peace" between Israel and some Arab countries, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also accused Hezbollah militants of storing weapons in a residential area of Beirut.
- UAE expresses hopes for Middle East peace talks following 'historic' accord with Israel UN News 29 Sep 2020 -- The historic agreement normalizing relations between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) should boost efforts towards achieving regional peace and a brighter future for generations to come, the UAE's Foreign Affairs Minister told the UN General Assembly in a pre-recorded speech broadcast on Tuesday.
- Israel Successfully Tests New Sea-to-Sea Missile System, Army Says Sputnik 25 Sep 2020 -- Israel's new sea-to-sea missile system, which was developed by the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), has been successfully tested, a press service of the defence forces said on Friday.
- At UN, No Signals From Saudi King on Peace With Israel VOA 23 Sep 2020 -- Saudi Arabia's king expressed support for peace in the Middle East at the U.N. General Assembly on Wednesday, but did not suggest that Riyadh was likely to soon follow the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain in normalizing relations with Israel.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Meeting With Israeli Defense Minister Benjamin Gantz DoD 22 Sep 2020
- U.S., Israeli Defense Relationship 'Stronger Than Ever,' Esper Says DoD News 22 Sep 2020 -- Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper promised Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz that the United States would maintain Israel's qualitative edge in the Middle East.
- Esper Says US Committed to Preserving Israel's Qualitative Military Edge in Middle East Sputnik 22 Sep 2020 -- The United States is committed to preserving Israel's qualitative military edge (QME) in the Middle East, US Secretary of Defence Mark Esper said before a meeting with Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz at the Pentagon.
- Hamas sets 2-month deadline for Israel to end Gaza siege Press TV 21 Sep 2020 -- The Palestinian resistance movement Hamas has set a deadline of two months for Israel to end more than 12 years of its siege on the Gaza Strip.
- Israel normalizes ties with UAE, Bahrain, but Mideast peace still in question People's Daily 16 Sep 2020 -- Israel signed on Tuesday normalization accords with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain, but Palestine claimed they will not achieve peace in the Middle East.
- Qatari Envoy to US Says Normalizing Ties With Israel First Requires Two-State Solution VOA 16 Sep 2020 -- Qatar has no objection to normalizing ties with Israel if "the conditions are proper" and there is a commitment to a two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians, Qatar's ambassador to Washington Sheikh Meshal Bin Hamad Al-Thani told VOA.
- Remarks by President Trump, Prime Minister Netanyahu, Minister bin Zayed, and Minister Al Zayani at the Abraham Accords Signing Ceremony The White House 15 Sep 2020
- Israelis Welcome, Palestinians Denounce Gulf Deals VOA 15 Sep 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's signing Tuesday of peace deals with two Arab states – the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain – in Washington doubles the number of Arab countries that have made peace with Israel. In Tel Aviv, the city government building was lit up with the word "peace" in Hebrew, English and Arabic. For Palestinians, it is a dark day.
- Arab League chief says ending Israeli occupation of Palestine basic condition for Mideast peace People's Daily 15 Sep 2020 -- Arab League (AL) Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul-Gheit on Monday stressed the recent regional developments wouldn't impact the Arab consensus over the inevitability of ending the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories as an essential condition for achieving comprehensive justice and peace in the Middle East.
- U.S. tries to pass Mideast peace plan through Israeli normalization with Arabs: Palestinian FM People's Daily 15 Sep 2020 -- Palestinian minister of foreign affairs accused the United States on Monday of trying to pass its Mideast peace plan through Israeli normalization with Arab countries.
- 'No peace' in Middle East without end to Israeli occupation: Abbas Press TV 15 Sep 2020 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has harshly rebuked the normalization agreements signed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Bahrain with Israel at the White House, saying that peace in the Middle East region is only possible after Israel's withdrawal from the occupied territories and recognition of Palestine's rights to establish a state with East Jerusalem al-Quds as its capital.
- Trump Hosts Abraham Accords Signing Between Israel, UAE and Bahrain VOA 15 Sep 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump hosted a signing ceremony Tuesday at the White House for the normalization of relations between Israel and the Arab states of the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain.
- The Abraham Accords Declaration The White House 15 Sep 2020
- Abraham Accords: Declaration of Peace, Cooperation, and Constructive Diplomatic and Friendly Relations The White House 15 Sep 2020
- Abraham Accords Peace Agreement: Treaty of Peace, Diplomatic Relations and Full Normalization Between the United Arab Emirates and the State of Israel The White House 15 Sep 2020
- Remarks by President Trump and Prime Minister Netanyahu of the State of Israel Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 15 Sep 2020
- UAE, Bahrain sign normalization deals with Israel at White House Press TV 15 Sep 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain sign controversial normalization agreements with Israel at the White House amid outrage across Palestine and elsewhere throughout the Muslim world at the Arab regimes' sheer betrayal of the Palestinian cause.
- Israel, UAE, Bahrain and US Sign Historic Abraham Peace Accords at White House Sputnik 15 Sep 2020 -- Over the past few weeks, Washington has managed to mediate two peace agreements normalising relations between Israel and two Gulf countries, the UAE and Bahrain. In exchange for establishing diplomatic ties, Tel Aviv has vowed to suspend its efforts to extend sovereignty over parts of the West Bank.
- Iran: Measures to normalize ties with Zionist Regime strategic mistake IRNA 15 Sep 2020 -- Iranian Government Spokesman Ali Rabiei on Tuesday said that any step taken to formally normalize relations with the Zionist Regime is regarded as a strategic mistake.
- Israeli gov't decides to reimpose nationwide lockdown amid COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 14 Sep 2020 -- Israel will reimpose a nationwide lockdown for three weeks, beginning on Friday, to slow a rapid resurgence of coronavirus infections, the government decided on Sunday.
- Israel approves construction of nearly 1,000 new settler units in West Bank Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Israeli officials have approved plans for the construction of nearly one thousand new settler units in the West Bank in blatant defiance of international condemnation of the Tel Aviv regime's land grab and settlement expansion policies in the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Netanyahu heads to US amid outrage in Israel over general coronavirus lockdown Press TV 14 Sep 2020 -- Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has headed to the United States amid protests in the occupied territories against his mishandling of the coronavirus pandemic that prompted a second general lockdown.
- Analysts See Israel-Bahrain Peace Deal as Protection Against Iran VOA 13 Sep 2020 -- Israelis are delighted the government has reached another peace deal with an Arab country, this time Bahrain, following last month's agreement with the United Arab Emirates. Analysts say the Gulf states see the deals as a way to discourage potential attacks from Iran. But Palestinians are furious at the deal, calling Bahrain's move "another knife in the back."
- IRGC blasts Bahrain over establishing diplomatic ties with Zionist regime IRNA 12 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) in a statement on Saturday strongly condemned establishment of ties between Bahrain and the Zionist regime.
- Iran Condemns Bahrain Deal With Israel Radio Farda 12 Sep 2020 -- Iran has condemned Bahrain's decision to establish full diplomatic relations with Israel.
- Bahrain Peace Deal With Israel Gets Mixed Reaction Across Middle East VOA 12 Sep 2020 -- Reaction from around the Middle East to the Israel-Bahrain peace agreement has been mixed, though most criticism of the deal has been fairly muted.
- Bahrain and Israel: UK responds to announcement of normalisation UK FCDO 11 Sep 2020 -- The Foreign Secretary has issued a statement on the announcement of the normalisation of relations between Bahrain and Israel.
- Trump: Bahrain to Recognize Israel VOA 11 Sep 2020 -- President Donald Trump announced on Friday that the Gulf Kingdom of Bahrain has agreed to recognize Israel, following a similar deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates last month. The agreement is another sign of the shifting dynamic in the Middle East, one that brings Arab nations closer to Israel and is seen as isolating Palestinians.
- Remarks by President Trump on the Announcement of Normalization of Relations Between Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain The White House 11 Sep 2020
- UN registers sharp spike in Israeli demolitions of Palestinian houses Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- The United Nations (UN)'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) says there has been a sharp increase in the number of Palestinian houses being demolished by Israel in the occupied West Bank during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Historic Agreement Between Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain US Dept. of State 11 Sep 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Has Brokered a Historic Deal Between Israel and the Kingdom of Bahrain The White House 11 Sep 2020
- Kushner Says Possible Sale of F-35s 'Being Discussed' After Israel-UAE Peace Deal Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- The US administration is contemplating a sale of F-35 fifth generation jet fighters to the United Arab Emirates (UAE), but will discuss a possible deal with Israel to accommodate its security concerns, senior White House adviser Jared Kushner told reporters on Wednesday.
- 9 Israeli entities to join EU urgent projects for fighting COVID-19 People's Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- Nine Israeli entities will take part in the European Union's urgent projects aimed to assist the fight against the coronavirus outbreak, the Israel Innovation Authority said on Sunday.
- Israel to ask US for advanced weapons after F-35 jets sale to UAE: Report Press TV 07 Sep 2020 -- Israel will ask the United States for advanced weapons to maintain Tel Aviv's alleged "military edge" in the Middle East after it failed to block the sale of American-made F-35 stealth fighters to the United Arab Emirates, a report says.
- Israel plans to construct almost 5,000 new settler units in occupied West Bank Press TV 07 Sep 2020 -- Israeli officials are planning to construct thousands of more settler units in the West Bank irrespective of an international outcry against the Tel Aviv regime's settlement expansion policies and its contentious plans to annex large parts of the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Israeli PM Denies He Approved US Arms Sales To Emirates After Peace Deal Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- The New York Times quoted a Washington-based Arab academic who said officials in the US, Israel and United Arab Emirates have confirmed that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanhayu has privately assured that he would not oppose the arms deal.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper's Phone Call With Israeli Defense Minister Benjamin "Benny" Gantz DoD 04 Sep 2020
- Key Player Worries About Mideast Drive to Build Ties With Israel VOA 02 Sep 2020 -- U.S. officials say Washington would like to see more Arab and Muslim countries follow the United Arab Emirates' lead in normalizing relations with Israel. It looks to Oman, Bahrain and Sudan as possible candidates. But Israel's peace partner and staunch Palestinian supporter, Jordan, worries that the Israel-UAE deal will scuttle the two-state solution and it could possibly be one of the biggest losers, if the land-for-peace option is abandoned.
- Syria thwarts fresh Israeli missile attack on T4 airbase Press TV 02 Sep 2020 -- The Syrian air defenses have foiled a fresh Israeli missile attack against the T4 airbase in central Syria.
- Syria Intercepts Israeli Strike on Central Air Base - State Media Sputnik 02 Sep 2020 -- According to Syrian state media, several missiles fired at the Tiyas T4 air base in Homs Governorate were intercepted on Wednesday.
- Hamas, Israel agree to end weeks-long escalation of violence along Gaza fence Press TV 01 Sep 2020 -- The Palestinian Hamas resistance movement says it has agreed to a Qatar-brokered ceasefire, which will put an end to nearly a month of Israeli aerial and ground attacks against the blockaded Gaza Strip.
- Seven Iran-Backed Paramilitary Members Killed In Monday Israeli Strikes On Syria Radio Farda 01 Sep 2020 -- The London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Tuesday that seven Iran-backed paramilitary fighters were killed in the Monday Israeli strikes on Syria, which also killed one civilian and three Syrian regime members.
- Leader: UAE betraying Islam, Arabs, region IRNA 01 Sep 2020 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has betrayed the Islamic world, Arab states, the regional countries, and Palestine, with letting the Zionist regime into the region.
- UAE betrays Islamic world: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 01 Sep 2020 -- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution, Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei met with the directors and heads of the Department of Education on Tuesday September 1, 2020, via a videoconference in the 34th Conference on Education.
- Ayatollah Khamenei: UAE betrayed Muslim world, but it won't last long Press TV 01 Sep 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the United Arab Emirates has betrayed the entire Muslim world by normalizing ties with the Israeli regime, but that the betrayal will not last long.
- Iran's Khamenei Says U.A.E. 'Betrayed' Islamic World With Israel Normalization Deal RFE/RL 01 Sep 2020 -- Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has called the United Arab Emirates' (U.A.E.) historic deal with Israel to normalize relations a "betrayal" that "won't last for long."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list