Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2022 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- New Iraqi Prime Minister Tells Iran's Supreme Leader that Baghdad Will Stop Attacks Against It VOA 30 Nov 2022 -- Iraq's new prime minister, Mohammed Shia al-Sudani, met Iran's top leaders, including Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, during his first important trip abroad since being named to head the government by the Iraqi parliament.
- Official: Iran signs $4 billion services deal with Iraq Press TV 30 Nov 2022 -- Iran has concluded a $4 billion contract in the field of exporting technical and engineering services with Iraq, board director of the Iranian Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Products Exporters' Association (OPEX) has said.
- Iran favors united nation, strong government in Iraq: President Raisi IRNA 29 Nov 2022 -- Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Tuesday voiced Iran's support for a united nation and strong government in neighboring Iraq.
- Iran's Leader urges Iraq to exercise greater sovereignty on Kurdish region Press TV 29 Nov 2022 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says anything that may disrupt Iran's security will inevitably impinge on Iraq as well, calling on the Baghdad government to exercise greater sovereignty over areas in the country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- President Raisi: Fighting terrorists among Iran-Iraq agreements IRNA 29 Nov 2022 -- Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi stressed the fact that security, peace, and stability in the region are very important for Iran and the Iraqi government, adding that fighting terrorist groups, organized crimes, drug trafficking and any insecurity that threatens the region is part of the agreements and common will of the two countries.
- Iran's ties with Iraq top-tier: President Raisi ISNA 29 Nov 2022 -- Iranian President stated, "The relations between the Islamic Republic of Iran and Iraq are different and top-tier, and the strengthening and deepening of bilateral relations should lead to the development and improvement of the level of regional and international interactions in order to establish as much peace and stability in the region and the world as possible".
- Iran's Oil Ministry opens first office in Iraq Press TV 29 Nov 2022 -- The Iranian Oil Ministry has opened a first independent office in Iraq amid plans between the two neighboring countries to boost their bilateral energy cooperation.
- Iran steps up military presence near Iraqi borders against "separatist" threats People's Daily 26 Nov 2022 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has stepped up military presence near the western and northwestern borders of the country to deal with "separatist" threats, an IRGC commander said Friday.
- Turkish Defense Minister Holds Meeting After Death of Soldiers During Operation in Syria: Reports Sputnik 26 Nov 2022 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar held a meeting with the country's military command after reports of the death of two Turkish soldiers in the zone of the operation in Syria and Iraq, Turkish daily reports.
- Telephone conversation with Prime Minister of Iraq Mohammed Shia Al Sudani President of Russia 24 Nov 2022
- Iran: Counter-terror operations in N Iraq aim to defend national security Press TV 24 Nov 2022 -- Iran tells the United Nations that its operations against hostile separatist terror groups based in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region aim to defend the country's national security, reaffirming the call for the central Iraqi government to shoulder its responsibility to maintain effective control over its entire territory and internationally-recognized borders.
- Iran Asks UN Security Council To Close Headquarters Of Kurdish Groups In Iraq RFE/RL 24 Nov 2022 -- Tehran has asked the United Nations Security Council to close the headquarters of Kurdish groups based in Iraq and disarm them for their "subversive actions" against Iran.
- Iraq to Redeploy Border Guards to Stop Attacks by Iran, Turkey - Prime Minister's Office Sputnik 24 Nov 2022 -- Iraq has decided to redeploy border guards to stop attacks on the part of Iran and Turkey, the Iraqi Prime Minister's Office said in a statement.
- DOD Statement on Escalating Actions in Iraq, Syria, and Turkey DoD 23 Nov 2022
- Iraq says Iran-Saudi talks now on diplomatic path IRNA 23 Nov 2022 -- The Iraqi Foreign Ministry on Wednesday announced that negotiations between Iran and Saudi Arabia have now entered a diplomatic path.
- IRGC Ground Force cmdr. urges civilians to stay away from terror bases in Iraqi Kurdistan Press TV 23 Nov 2022 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has called upon ordinary Iraqi people to evacuate areas close to the hideouts of separatist terrorists in the Arab country's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region, as his force launched fresh strikes on the positions of the militants.
- Iranian Attacks Against the Iraqi Kurdistan Region US Dept. of State 22 Nov 2022 -- Iran's violations of Iraqi territorial integrity continue with lethal attacks carried out against the Iraqi Kurdistan Region from November 20 through 22.
- IRGC urges Iraqis to stay away from terrorists' hideouts IRNA 22 Nov 2022 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has cautioned the Iraqi citizens, residing near the hideouts of anti-Iran separatists, to leave the northern Iraq, as the Iranian forces try to cleanse those areas.
- Iraqi Kurdistan officials unwilling to enhance security: Iran envoy IRNA 22 Nov 2022 -- Iranian Ambassador to Iraq Mohammad Kazem Al-Sadegh said that the officials of the Iraqi Kurdistan region can uproot anti-Iran terrorists, but they did not show such a willingness.
- Separatists' hideouts in Iraqi Kurdistan pounded IRNA 22 Nov 2022 -- Hideouts of armed anti-Iran groups in two Iraqi provinces of Erbil and Kirkuk have been pounded by the use of several missiles and drones.
- IRGC launches fresh drone, missile attacks on bases of separatist terrorists in northern Iraq: Tasnim Press TV 22 Nov 2022 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has conducted a new round of drone and missile strikes against strongholds of hostile separatist terror groups based in Iraq's semi-autonomous region of Kurdistan.
- Another Major Turkish Military Ground Incursion Very Likely Amid Rising Tensions in Syria Experts Say VOA 22 Nov 2022 -- The uptick in tension between Turkey and Syrian Kurdish militants could result in a new ground operation by Ankara, experts said, as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vows more comprehensive military action amid the rising nationalist sentiment in the country with elections six months away.
- Iran initiates new round of drone-missile attack on separatist IRNA 21 Nov 2022 -- The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps Ground Forces started new round of missile and drone attacks on remaining hideouts of the separatist terrorists in northern Iraq.
- Iran's latest strikes on Kurdish opposition bases in northern Iraq necessary to protect borders: Kanaani ISNA 21 Nov 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani stressed that Tehran has practically shown that it is committed to the negotiation table to reach a good and stable agreement.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards Fire On Headquarters Of Opposition Groups Inside Northern Iraq RFE/RL 21 Nov 2022 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has fired on the headquarters of Iranian Kurdish opposition groups based in northern Iraq, the latest in a series of attacks as Tehran accuses them of fomenting a wave of unrest inside the Islamic republic.
- Turkey's Erdogan threatens ground operation in Syria, Iraq to eliminate 'terrorist threats' Press TV 21 Nov 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will not remain silent against terrorism, threatening a ground operation in northern Iraq and northern Syria to eliminate what he claimed to be "terrorist threats."
- Turkish President Erdogan Says Air Operation in Northern Syria and Iraq Ended Successfully Sputnik 21 Nov 2022 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday that the air operation of the country's armed forces in northern Syria and Iraq was successful.
- Violence in Northern Syria, Northern Iraq, and Southern Turkey US Dept. of State 21 Nov 2022 -- "The United States expresses its sincere condolences for the loss of civilian life in Syria and Turkey."
- TÃ¼rkiye strikes Kurdish groups in Iraq, Syria after Istanbul explosion People's Daily 20 Nov 2022 -- TÃ¼rkiye conducted an air operation early Sunday against the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) in northern Syria and the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) in northern Iraq, the Turkish Defense Ministry said.
- Turkey Destroys Hideouts of PKK Militants in Syria, Iraq Sputnik 20 Nov 2022 -- Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said on Sunday that air strikes in northern Syria and Iraq destroyed militant bases of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), designated terrorist by Ankara.
- Turkish Defense Ministry Says Operation in Syria, Iraq Justified Under UN Charter - Report Sputnik 20 Nov 2022 -- Turkey's Defense Ministry says the air operation targeting YPG, the military wing of the PKK, or the Kurdistan Workers' Party (both designated by Ankara as terrorist organizations), was conducted in accordance with the right to self-defense, Turkish state news agency reported.
- Turkish airstrikes hit several towns, villages in northern Syria, Iraq; casualties reported Press TV 20 Nov 2022 -- The Turkish military has conducted a series of airstrikes across the Syrian provinces of Aleppo and Hasakah, targeting several towns and villages throughout those provinces.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl's Meeting With Iraqi Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein DoD 19 Nov 2022
- Iraq: Statement by the Spokesperson on the renewed Iranian attacks on the Kurdistan Region European External Action Service (EEAS) 15 Nov 2022 -- The European Union condemns in the strongest possible terms the renewed Iranian shelling claimed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq resulting in loss of life and injuries.
- Iran, Iraq FMs hold phone talks, review security cooperation ISNA 15 Nov 2022 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian in a phone conversation with his Iraqi counterpart Fuad Hussein congratulated him on his re-appointment to the post.
- Iran Attacks the Iraqi Kurdistan Region US Dept. of State 14 Nov 2022
- Iran FM: Iraqi govt. responsible to stop threats posed to Tehran from Kurdistan region Press TV 14 Nov 2022 -- Iran's foreign minister has urged the neighboring Iraq to stop threats posed to Tehran from the semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- IRGC: Iraqi govt., Kurdistan region must make common borders secure, fulfill commitments toward Iran Press TV 14 Nov 2022 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has urged the central government in Iraq as well as the Iraqi Kurdistan Region to meet their commitments toward Iran and take necessary measures to make the common borders between the two countries secure.
- IRGC conducts drone, missile operation against terrorist separatists in north Iraq IRNA 14 Nov 2022 -- The Ground Force of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) carried out its second mass missile and drone operation against the terrorist separatist groups in the Iraqi Kurdistan region in northern Iraq.
- IRGC launches fresh missile, drone strikes on terrorist positions in Iraq's Kurdistan Press TV 14 Nov 2022 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has once again targeted the positions of terrorist groups operating near the country's western borders in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Iran Launches New Round Of Attacks On Kurdish Region In Northern Iraq RFE/RL 14 Nov 2022 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) has fired on targets in Iraq's northern Kurdish region, the latest round of attacks on the area in recent weeks.
- Iraqi forces kill 5 IS militants in Iraq People's Daily 12 Nov 2022 -- Iraqi security forces on Friday killed five Islamic State (IS) militants in Salahudin Province and captured three others, the Iraqi military said.
- Iran starting works to develop key oilfield shared with Iraq Press TV 08 Nov 2022 -- The National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) says development works on a key oilfield shared with Iraq will start within days as Iran moves ahead with plans to expand its massive petroleum industry despite sanctions imposed by the United States.
- Top general: Iran ready to share defense, anti-terror fight experiences with Iraq Press TV 07 Nov 2022 -- Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri says his country is ready to share its experiences in the field of defense industry with the neighboring Iraq.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Iraqi President Rashid US Dept. of State 05 Nov 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Iraqi Prime Minister Sudani US Dept. of State 03 Nov 2022
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list