Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2019 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- Iraqi Forces Target Daesh Sleeper Cells in northern Iraq CENTCOM 30 Apr 2019 -- In the largest combined operation since the defeat of Daesh's so-called physical caliphate, Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve supported an Iraqi Counter-Terrorism Service attack on Daesh sleeper cells and its support base in the Wadi Ashai area of northern Iraq on April 24, 2019.
- 'Human Time Bomb': Charity Warns 45,000 Born Under IS In Iraq May Become Stateless RFE/RL 30 Apr 2019 -- An estimated 45,000 displaced children who were born under the rule of the extremist group Islamic State (IS) are being excluded from Iraqi society because the authorities deny them ID papers, an international charity group says.
- Turkish airstrikes kill over dozen Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 29 Apr 2019 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of airstrikes against a terrorist hideout in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve Monthly Civilian Casualty Report CENTCOM 25 Apr 2019
- CJTF-OIR strikes Daesh in Wadi Ashai CENTCOM 25 Apr 2019 -- Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve supported Iraqi Security Forces against Daesh targets in Wadi Ashai, April 24, 2019, disrupting their ability to regroup and reorganize.
- CJTF-OIR Strike Summary April 7- 20, 2019 CENTCOM 24 Apr 2019 -- Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to target and pursue the enduring defeat of Daesh.
- Iraq Defence Official Says US Troops Not Involved in Any Military Operations Sputnik 24 Apr 2019 -- The US troops in Iraq only assist the country's army in fighting Daesh* and do not carry out any military operations, Muhammad Abadi, general secretary of the Iraqi Defense Ministry, told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Iraq says over $60 million in public funds embezzled in Mosul Press TV 22 Apr 2019 -- Iraq's anti-corruption body has accused officials in the northern province of Nineveh of embezzling more than $60 million in public funds, saying the crime was committed after the governor was sacked last month.
- Middle East powers partake in Iraq summit in blow to 'Arab NATO' Press TV 20 Apr 2019 -- Iraq's parliamentary summit has brought together the country's neighbors in what has been described as "a display of rare regional unity", further sidelining a US initiative to form an "Arab NATO".
- Mideast States Join Iraq Summit in Blow to US-Led 'Arab NATO' Initiative Sputnik 20 Apr 2019 -- The summit marks a shift in Iraq's foreign policy, with the country assuming the role of a mediator in the region as US President Donald Trump has revived the Obama-era concept of an anti-Iranian alliance of Gulf nations.
- Iraq hosts neighbouring nations for one-day summit Press TV 20 Apr 2019 -- A summit organized by Iraq on Saturday brought together regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran to bridge relations and invest in Iraq.
- Iraqi Conference Brings Together Iran, Saudi Arabia, Other Regional Players RFE/RL 20 Apr 2019 -- Parliamentary officials from Iraq's neighbors, including Iran and Saudi Arabia, expressed support for Baghdad's efforts to rebuild following the government's recapture of territory from Islamic State (IS) militants after a bloody four-year battle.
- Expectations mixed as Iraq, Saudi announce security deal Press TV 19 Apr 2019 -- Riyadh and Baghdad have agreed to promote their security and intelligence cooperation after several years of mutual distrust over Saudi Arabia's support for terrorists in Iraq.
- Iraqi Air Force Flies First Ever F-16 Combat Sortie Alongside Coalition Aircraft Sputnik 18 Apr 2019 -- An Iraqi pilot flew an F-16 fighter jet in the nation's first combat sortie in a defensive mission above the Iraqi-Syrian border this week alongside other coalition aircraft, US Central Command's (CENTCOM) Operation Inherent Resolve disclosed in a press release on Wednesday.
- Iraqi Air Force and Coalition Counter Air Mission CENTCOM 17 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft flew a defensive counter air mission above the Iraqi-Syrian border alongside Coalition aircraft April 16, 2019.
- Iraqis To The Rescue? Iranians Wary Of Paramilitary Forces Sent For 'Flood Relief' Efforts RFE/RL 16 Apr 2019 -- Many Iranians are upset by the presence of Iraqi paramilitary forces sent to help with flood relief efforts as they try to cope with a natural disaster called the worst to hit Iran in more than 15 years.
- Role of foreign states in focus as Iraq begins trying 900 Daesh suspects Press TV 15 Apr 2019 -- Iraq has begun trying nearly 900 members of the Daesh terrorist group captured in neighboring Syria, a judiciary official says.
- Iraqi FM: Golan is Syrian territory IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohammad Ali al-Hakim said on Sunday that his country rejects the US president's allegations on the occupied Syrian Golan as it contradicts the international legitimacy, SANA reported.
- Iraqi forces destroy 18 ISIS hideouts in Al-Anbar IRNA 14 Apr 2019 -- The Iraqi security forces have discovered and destroyed 18 hideouts belonging to ISIS (Daesh) terrorists in Al-Anbar Province western Iraq.
- Iraqi resistance groups express solidarity with Iran's IRGC amid US blacklisting Press TV 14 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi resistance groups, which have been a major partner in the national army's sweeping counter-terrorism operations, have thrown their weight behind Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) in the face of the US blacklisting of the elite military force.
- Iran, Iraq and Syria considering transnational railway project: Report Press TV 13 Apr 2019 -- Iraq says negotiations are underway with Iran and Syria to develop a transnational railway line linking the three countries.
- Iraq receives more T-90 battle tanks from Russia to boost ground force Press TV 09 Apr 2019 -- A high-ranking Iraqi military commander says the country's army has received a new batch of advanced T-90 battle tanks from Russia under a major deal struck between Moscow and Baghdad in July 2017.
- Iran, Iraq to cooperate in air defense area ISNA 07 Apr 2019 -- "We may feel some air threats along western borders which was discussed in a meeting with Iraq's army chief of staff and we planned to have bilateral cooperation in air defence area to reach a better coordination," Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Bagheri said.
- Iran, Iraq 'agree on aerial defense cooperation' Press TV 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran's top military commander says the country and its neighbor Iraq have agreed to cooperate in the area of air defense to fend off the challenges facing their respective air spaces.
- Iran, Iraq to Boost Air Defence Ties as Khamenei Urges Swift US Troop Exit Sputnik 07 Apr 2019 -- The Iraqi commander also pledged that Baghdad would take stricter control of the US' military presence on Iraqi soil. This comes a day after Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei called on Baghdad to ensure that US troops leave Iraq "as soon as possible".
- Tehran, Baghdad agree to establish gas supply network IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- The development of joint fields, the reconstruction of old Iraqi refineries, the establishment of a gas supply network and the export of technical and engineering services are the most important oil agreements between Tehran and Baghdad.
- Iraq hails Iran's oil projects despite US sanctions IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iraq praised Iranian oil sector for continuing its activities during the reimposition of the US sanctions.
- Iran eyes $20bn trade with Iraq in next 2 years IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran says it plans to reach 20 billion dollars in volume of annual trade with Iraq in the next two years.
- Iran, Iraq explore ways to boost bilateral trade IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Governor of Central Bank of Iran (CBI) Abdolnaser Hemmati and Iraqi Finance Minister Fuad Hussein, in a meeting in Tehran on Sunday, discussed ways to boost bilateral trade and to balance exports and imports between the two countries.
- Three-year plan to rebuild Iraq's electricity industry formulated IRNA 07 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Minister of Energy says a three-year plan to rebuild the Iraqi power industry has been formulated which will increase Iraq's power generation capacity by 30 percent.
- Make US troops leave Iraq as soon as possible: Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 06 Apr 2019 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the Baghdad government should expel US forces from Iraq as soon as possible.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Tells Iraq To Push U.S. Troops Out As Soon As Possible RFE/RL 06 Apr 2019 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has warned Iraq about the "detrimental" effects of having U.S. forces on its territory and urged its neighbor to get the troops to leave as soon as possible.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Urges Iraq to Ensure US Troops Leave "as Soon as Possible" Sputnik 06 Apr 2019 -- Earlier in the day, Iran vowed to equate US troops to the Daesh* if Washington designates its Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a terrorist organisation.
- Minister: Iran exports 1500 megawatt of electricity to Iraq IRNA 06 Apr 2019 -- Energy Minister Reza Ardakanian said on Saturday that the Islamic Republic of Iran is to export 1500 megawatts of electricity to Iraq under the current circumstances.
- Iraqi military planes drop $25-million reward leaflets for Daesh head Press TV 03 Apr 2019 -- Iraqi military aircraft have dropped leaflets over desert areas in the country's western province of Anbar, offering a reward of millions of dollars for intelligence that would lead to the capture of the leader of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, Ibrahim al-Samarrai aka Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- Iraqi Parliament Speaker Says US Support Needed for Lasting Defeat of IS VOA 02 Apr 2019 -- In an exclusive interview with the Voice of America's Kurdish Service, Mohammed al-Halbousi, Iraq's speaker of the Council of Representatives, said support of the U.S.-led coalition to ensure a lasting defeat of Islamic State (IS) is crucial as Iraq continues its efforts against the group's insurgency activities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list